07. Serendipity

Unintended
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
 

07. SERENDIPITY

 

My heart only ever had one thought, one want, one need. Despite all, in spite of all... all my heart has ever wanted is you.

 

KRIS

I really don’t know how I can be here. I was driving aimlessly because I don’t feel like working today. I don’t even understand why out of all the places I could go, I ended up coming here. This is not my favorite place at all. This is the place that I hate the most. Staring at her tombstone only sends shiver down my spine since it looks as cold as the winter breeze, and for the umpteenth time in my life I need to ensure myself that the name engraved on it is belonged to the one and only woman I love. I reach out my hand to touch her photo on the tombstone.

 

“How are you, Soojin? It has been a month since the last I came here. Today is very cold. How is it in your place? Is there snowy too?” I talk while gazing at her smiling face in the picture.

 

“I bet you will laugh at me if I tell you that I actually don’t believe that you’re dead. I really think that you created your death scene only to make the world think that you are no longer here. People said that you will know if the person you love is still living somewhere although the evidence of her death already shown to your eyes. But no, Soojin, nothing can make me believe it. Not until I see your corpse with my own eyes.”I continue.

 

“Soojin, do you remember the time when you asked me if I want to be your boyfriend? What if that night I said yes? Would you give me the chance to be your boyfriend? I can’t sleep every time I remember about it. If only the genie from those fairytales could be true and I could ask for three wishes, can you guess what I would ask? First, I want to turn back the times. Second, I want you to love me. Third, I want a forever for me and you. How does it sound?

 

“Soojin, you don’t hate me, do you? I always make your sister cry. She is hurt because of me. I’m a bad man, right? I’m sorry. I really am sorry. I know I should give this marriage a chance because this is my decision after all to marry her. But I can’t do it. I can’t forget you and every time I see her, she always reminds me of the reality I hate. You know what? You are the one who should be wife. My mother told me that the merger between our companies, the agreement between our parents, it has been settled long time ago. If only she told me earlier about this, right when she introduced you to me, I guess everything would be different. I’m not trying to blame my mother here. There is no one to blame but me.”

 

I shove my hands into my pocket, continue gazing at her photo. Apparently, I’m the only person coming here in this moment. I mean, who will come to the cemetery when the weather is so cold and all snowy? I’m about to touch her photo for the last time, being ready to leave this place when I hear a husky voice comes from behind me. I whirl around to find an old man who I recognize as the groundskeeper. I bow slightly at him. By seeing his gesture, I can tell that he has something to tell me.

 

“I’m sorry for disturbing you, Sir.” He says with his shaky voice. The weather is deadly freezing but he is wearing only that one worn coat. I reflexively take my scarf off and give it to him and with little force, I manage to make him receive the scarf.

 

“You should put on more clothes if you work in this weather, ahjussi. Anyway, is there anything I can do for you?” I reply, placing back my hands into my pocket.

 

“I’m not working today but one of the staffs told me that he saw you, so I rush here to see you.” He says. I raise my brows. “Three days ago, there was a woman with a little boy came here. I barely saw her face but I think she seemed familiar. She stood here for 10 minutes but then she fell onto her knees and her son hugged her. Apparently, she cried. They left not long after but I guess she dropped this.” He continues and hands me a gold necklace with beautiful locket. I hesitantly take it from him.

 

“Why are you giving me this?” I ask him, glancing down at the necklace in my hand. The locket has a complex yet beautiful floral ornament and when I turn it around, there is a letter “SJ” on the other side. I furrow my eyebrows. This locket looks strangely familiar to me.

 

“I think she is one of your relatives. I’m afraid it will be stolen if I keep it until she comes back here when she realized she lost it. It looks very expensive.”

 

I take out my wallet and give him my business card. “If she comes here again, tell her to come to this building. Thank you.” I shove my wallet into my back pocket then bow to the frank old man before leaving, heading back to my car. I simply put the necklace on the dashboard and turn on my car engine but then the curiosity tickles my desire to see what inside of the locket. I take the necklace, gazing at the two letters for a while before hesitantly opening the locket.

 

There are two different photos on each side. One of them, the photo on the right side, is a picture of a baby boy, a handsome baby boy. I instantly smile when I see him and something inside me clenches in one most succulent fashion. The other photo, the one on the left side, it takes me by surprise because I can see three familiar faces on it. They are my parents in law and my wife. Apparently, the photo was taken a few years ago because Soorin looks younger in the picture. I bite my lower lip nervously as a tinge of hope suddenly arises in my heart out of nowhere.

 

 

SOORIN

I open the door only to see that one face I dislike the most; the irritating Chinese guy who looks even more feminine than me. Behind him, standing the grumpy guy; Kim Jongin. I suddenly remember how students in our class made fun of him because his skin was darker than the rest of us.

 

“What are you doing here?”I ask coldly.

 

“Where is Kris?” He asks while sending daggers to my direction with his glare.

 

“Where do you think he is in this hour?” I reply absently.

 

“He doesn’t work today. I wouldn’t come here if I could find him in his office.” He rolls his eyes.

 

I shoot him a skeptical look. “Where did he go?”

 

“If I know where he is, you won’t see me here, smart lady.” He replies sarcastically.

 

“Why do you always try to start a fight with me?” I glare at him.

 

“I never tried to start a fight. It is you who take everything negatively, young miss.”

 

“You don’t talk to me nicely. How could you expect me to think that you are not trying to spark a fire between us?”

 

“Soorin, have you heard about respect? Luhan hyung is older than you. You should watch your manner when you are talking with someone who is older than you.” Jongin butts in.

 

“I’m sorry but I’m not talking to you.”

 

“I don’t understand how Sehun can be friend with you. You are totally annoying.”

 

“I seriously think that you are more annoying than me. Do you remember our junior years? You got detention almost every day. How good student you were.”

 

“At least, I was not the one who was expelled from the class for putting the gums on the teacher’s chair. I wonder how a trouble maker like you could be the sister of a goddess like Soojin noona.”

 

The anger is boiling inside me when he mentions of my sister’s name. A person like him definitely doesn’t know how it feels when you’re compared to your own sibling especially when people see your sister as the definition of perfection while you are the flaws. Sometimes I wish she wasn’t my sister.

 

“She wasn’t as good as you think. You don’t know anything about her.” I hiss coldly.

 

“You’re just envy her because everyone loves her and no one likes you.” Jongin spats.

 

If only I don’t see a familiar figure steps out the white R8 and walks to our direction, I might have hit him right on his face, making sure to leave some permanent scratches. I in my breath when Kris suddenly looks directly at me. Apparently, the two annoying guys before me notice the sudden change on my expression. They immediately turn around and greet Kris but from what I see, Kris doesn’t pay much attention to them. He simply walks pass them and stops right in front of me. I swallow hard for not having any idea what he will do to me.

 

“I want you to answer my question.” Kris says sternly. I simply nod my head. “You have a gold necklace with a small locket, right?”

 

I tilt my head to one side, trying to get any hints why Kris asks me this weird question all of the sudden. But yes, I have that certain necklace he talks about. “Yes, I have it. Why?”

 

“The locket has beautiful floral ornament on one side and also the initial letters of your name on the other side, doesn’t it?” He continues asking.

 

“Yes, the letters ‘SR’ on the locket stands for my name.”

 

“Is that from your parents?”

 

“Yes, they gave me the necklace on my seventeenth birthday.”

 

“What’s inside the locket? Is there any photo inside the locket?”

 

“There is my parents with S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter