24. Affirmation

Unintended
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

24. AFFIRMATION

 

You’re… the other half of his soul. He’s never going to get over you. And no matter how much you hope that you will… you’ll never get over him.

 

SOORIN

“Please keep this secret between us, Baekhyun-ssi.” I say to him as he stops his car in front of a high-end apartment building in Apgujeong-dong. The reporters are no longer gathering in front of the building. Apparently, I pick the right time.

 

“As long as you promise me that you are not going to do something illegal.” Baekhyun gives me a side smile. I chuckle over his remark. “I know that I have no right to ask you this but why you don’t want anyone knows you’re coming here?” He his head to one side.

 

“I need to proof some things.” I reply matter-of-factly. “And I want neither Kris nor Sehun know that I have been here. I can trust you, right?”

 

Baekhyun throws me a look. “To be honest, I don’t like the idea of hiding something from Kris. I work for him in case you forget it.” He gets his point here.

 

I smile at him. “I won’t do anything that can jeopardize your boss’ reputation, okay? Your boss is my husband in case you forget it.” I emphasize the word of husband.

 

“I apologize if you feel offended, Soorin-ssi.” He replies awkwardly, blushing scarlet.

 

“No need to feel sorry, Baekhyun-ssi. I owe you much for driving me here and agreeing to keep this secret from Kris though you strongly oppose the idea.” I say in casual tone. “Uhm… can you tell me the number of Park Chanyeol’s apartment?”

 

“Take the elevator to the top floor. You will find four doors. His apartment is the second door on the right. In case he doesn’t open the door for you, just input 506412. It is the passcode.” He says and I have to admit that I’m a bit surprised when he tells me the passcode of Chanyeol’s apartment. How does he know?

 

“You don’t have to tell me his passcode, Baekhyun-ssi. But thank you.”

 

He sighs. “You come to meet your sister, don’t you? I heard a story from Sehun. I guess you have the right to demand an explanation from Soojin-ssi.”

 

Oh, that’s unexpected. But truthfully, there is another reason why I come here.

 

“I will wait for you there.” He points out his finger to an empty spot near the Italian restaurant across the road. “I have the responsibility to drive you back to the place I picked you up.” He flashes me his boyish grin.

 

“Thank you so much, Baekhyun-ssi. After this, let’s have lunch together. My treat.” I smile back at him then climb out of his car.

 

I walk directly toward the elevator banks once I step inside the building. The elevator whisks me with terminal velocity to the thirtieth floor. There is a beeping sound before the door slide open and I can see four doors like Baekhyun mentioned earlier. I go to the second door on the right side and take a deep breath before I hit the bell. There is a brief moment before I hear a click and Park Chanyeol’s tall frame comes into the sight.

 

“Soorin-ssi?” He gazes down at me, seems surprised.

 

“Good morning, Chanyeol-ssi. Can I meet my sister?” I look up at him. I’m not wearing high heels and somehow it makes him seem taller than last night.

 

“Good morning to you, Soorin-ssi. I’m sorry for not giving you a proper greeting earlier.” He replies while scratching the nape of his neck. “Soojin is now taking Daehyun to the nearby park. He said that he is boring so Soojin brings him out to catch some fresh air.”

 

“Ah, I see.” I nod my head.

 

“Have you had your breakfast? I’m having my breakfast now. You can eat with me while waiting for her.” He suggests then opens the door wider to let me in.

 

“Thank you, Chanyeol-ssi.” I reply as I saunter into his apartment.

 

“Don’t mention it.” He smiles warmly as he closes the door then guides me to the dining room.

 

There are two plates of Shanghai fried rice and two glasses of milk remain untouchable on the dining table. Those must be for eonni and Daehyun. Chanyeol pulls me a chair and serves me the food before walking back to his chair and eating his breakfast. I take a spoonful of rice and shove it into my mouth. It is really mouthwatering. Does he cook this?

 

“If you are wondering, I cooked the breakfast.” He says with a wide grin as if he can read my thought. Another unexpected thing, uh? He doesn’t look someone who can cook. What a nice future husband eonni has here. Is it possible if Soojin eonni did everything not only for me but also because she decided to learn to love this man? If he stayed for her during her hardest time and helped her to get through it then he must really love her, right?

 

“Are you a master chef? This is really good, Chanyeol-ssi.” I reply frankly.

 

“Unfortunately, I’m a musician.” His voice blazes with humor.

 

“I think master chef suits you better, Chanyeol-ssi.”

 

He laughs. “Thanks for the compliment, Soorin-ssi.”

 

“Uhm… can I ask you something?” I ask tentatively.

 

He lifts his eyebrows. “What is it?”

 

“You know that Kris is the real father of Daehyun, don’t you?” I ask carefully, worrying if my question will offend him.

 

“Of course I know it. I know their history too if you wonder. I know that it was Soojin who’s originally planned to marry him. I also know that you are one of her reasons why she agrees to marry me and she does it because she doesn’t want you to divorce Kris for her.” There is no anger in his voice. Or is it because he is too good in masking his anger?

 

“So you know that she has loved Kris, she still does, and she probably always will?”

 

He smiles faintly. “You said probably, right? So there is possibility for her to stop loving him.”

 

I blink couple times. How can he make it sounds so simple? Is he trying to say that he accepts the fact that the woman he is going to marry with is in love with someone else and there will always be a possibility for his feeling to end up unrequited?

 

“I love her and it hurts so much if I cannot have her.” He says softly. “I guess we are on the same boat here, Soorin-ssi. If they are getting back together then we will lose the one we love. But if they are not then we will still have a hope.

 

“I have kept my feeling for her for four years and I start regretting it for not confessing earlier. I didn’t see it coming that there was actually a day where she would meet him again. I know that Soojin loves the man who got her pregnant but refused to take the responsibility. I just didn’t expect that her love for him can be so deeply.

 

“I thought that she would learn to accept the reality that he was not the one for her, that it was me who always stood by her side. She never mentioned his name. She always avoided the topic. I thought it was because she wanted to forget him. She also told me that she didn’t want Daehyun to know about him. That’s why she didn’t want to talk about him.

 

“She always looked happy when she was with me. One day she even told me that I could be a good father for Daehyun. I knew that she said it jokingly but I built hope inside me and I guess I set my hope too high. I became unaware about the possibility of her still loving him. I failed to notice many things until one day I saw her talking to him in her shop. I thought he was just a friend of her but then I saw the look in her eyes. I realized that he is not just a friend of her but he is the man she loves dearly.

 

“I know that I have to do something if I don’t want to lose her. I confessed my feeling but it was not enough to make her see me. In her eyes, it is only Kris. In her heart, it is only Kris. I don’t know what’s so good about him. But you don’t have to always understand when it comes to love, right? So when she agrees to marry me, it feels surreal. I can’t believe that I’m getting married and it is her who will be my bride.” Chanyeol ends his long story with a smile. I don’t know if I should feel impressed by his love towards my sister because somehow it sounds creepy. It feels like he is being obsessive to my sister. Gosh, what am I thinking?

 

“I can see that you really love her, Chanyeol-ssi.” I smile back at him, clearly having no idea about what I should say to him.

 

“Don’t you also feel the same way to your husband?” He his head to one side.

 

“I love him of course.” I bite my bottom lip. Truthfully, his question startles me much. “I’m sorry for saying this but I guess my sister’s love to him is even deeper. She had loved Kris for a very long time. Sometimes, though I’m his lawfully wife, I feel like a third-wheel between them and when I heard the news about your marriage, it really surprised me. We have talked about this before that she doesn’t want me to divorce Kris for her but I never expected that she will go this far.”

 

Chanyeol gives me a long look before he opens his mouth. “Maybe Soojin really doesn’t want to accept him back. Maybe he hurt her too much and she can’t forgive him completely. Maybe she wants to marry me because she is sure that I can help her to forget him.”

 

I stare at him, trying to fathom his mind. I don’t know if he really doesn’t notice it or he is just pretending like he doesn’t notice it or maybe he notices it but he tries to deny it. Because even the dumbest will know that Soojin eonni wants Kris. She has already forgiven him and there is no way she can forget him because she simply doesn’t want to forget him.

 

“Chanyeol-ssi, are you sure that she agrees to marry you because she wants it and not because she is forced? Are you sure that you are not the one who traps her into the marriage? Because I smell something fishy here.” I narrow my eyes at him.

 

And much to my surprise, his reaction utterly opposes my expectation. He lets out a soft chuckle as if I did not just accuse him doing something bad to my sister. He takes a sip from his glass before he talks to me. His expression remains as calm as ever and he is still wearing his friendly smile. Do I jump to conclusion too fast?

 

“I understand if you can’t trust me, Soorin-ssi. I’m just someone who you barely know. You can ask Soojin yourself if you need a proof.” He says calmly and I really don’t know if I should trust him or not.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter