13. In Between

Unintended
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

13. IN BETWEEN

 

Because what’s worse than knowing you want something, besides knowing you can never have it?

 

Everything turned awkward between Soojin and Chanyeol. She couldn’t see him without blushing. She couldn’t see him without having her heart skipped a beat. Because every time Soojin saw Chanyeol, she would remember the night when he kissed her and also his confession. But apparently, she was the only one who felt all nervous because Chanyeol looked… normal as if nothing happened and it made her feel like she was a silly high-school girl who had a crush with her popular senior.

 

“Soojin, you are spacing out again.” Soojung’s voice interrupted her thought.

 

“Soojung, does Chanyeol tell you something?” She suddenly asked.

 

Soojung raised her brows. “Something like what?”

 

“Something about me?” Soojin said but immediately mentally slapped herself as she believed that Soojung would misinterpret the meaning behind her three words.

 

“Are you now official with Channie? How could you not tell me?” Soojung whined while throwing Soojin her disapproving gaze. Soojin sighed, facepalming herself.

 

“I’m not in a relationship with Chanyeol, okay?” Soojin replied only to gain an incredulous look from Soojung.

 

“I smell a lie.”

 

“I’m not lying, Soojung. I’m not in a relationship with Chanyeol but…” Soojin paused momentarily as she could feel the heat crept up her cheeks. “Chanyeol confessed his feeling to me.”

 

“Isn’t it obvious?” Soojung gave Soojin a pity look.

 

“What’s obvious?” Soojin stared quizzically at her friend.

 

“That Park Chanyeol likes you. Do you not notice it?” Soojung dropped her jaw when Soojin shook her head. “Oh my poor big Channie…”

 

“You make it sounds as if I’m the only person on earth who doesn’t know about his feeling for me.” Soojin complained.

 

“Indeed. How could you have been so blind? I bet everyone who sees the way he looks at you or hears the way he talks about you, they will know it immediately how deep Chanyeol loves you. Choi Soojin, let me tell you a secret. Park Chanyeol fell for you since the very first time I introduced you to him four years ago. How does it sound to you?”

 

Soojin lifted up her eyebrows in surprise. “I… I don’t know that he has been liking me for quite long.” She could feel her cheeks were getting hotter.

 

“Now you know. Will you consider about his feeling? Will you give him a chance?” Soojung asked, propping her chin up with her elbow rested on the table.

 

Soojin cleared nervously as she didn’t know how to answer her friend’s question. “I don’t think I like him that way. I only see him as a… friend. I think I’m not ready to have a relationship with someone.”

 

“Don’t you think that Daehyun needs a father? Chanyeol can be a good father for him. You have seen it yourself what he did for you and Daehyun in the past four years. What are you waiting for, Jin? What do you need but Chanyeol can’t give you?”

 

Soojin inhaled sharply, trying to keep her trepidation from showing on her face. She hadn’t told Soojung that Kris found her. She bit her lower lip, a nervous habit that she should stop but was unable to, primarily because she was unaware of it and her gesture only made Soojung can detect her nervousness.

 

“I hope it is not because of him.” She said sharply. “Soojin, it has been four years and he has never tried to find you. How could you still believe that Wu Yifan will come and apologize to you? In his mind, you were dead. He won’t have any clue to find you here.”

 

“But he did!” Soojin reflexively raised her voice and both of them were taken aback by her sudden outburst. It made it difficult for her to find the subsequent words.

 

“You tell me what?” Soojung eyed her pryingly.

 

“Yifan found me. He came here a few days ago.”

 

“What did he want?”

 

“Soojung, you and Chanyeol should stop thinking negatively about him.” Soojin said tiredly.

 

“Did he meet Chanyeol when he came here? Good. He would think that you are with someone else now and it will be much better if you also tell him that Daehyun is Chanyeol’s.” Soojung replied harshly.

 

“Do you think Yifan will buy it? Even a fool would notice how Daehyun resembles his father!” Soojin’s vision started to become blurry as the tears threatened to fall from her eyes.

 

“You let him meet Daehyun?”

 

“Daehyun returned from his school when Yifan was still here. What do you expect me to do? Tell Yifan to go and forbid him to come again? Do you think I will have a heart to do it?”

 

“Will you tell Daehyun that Yifan is his father?”

 

“No. I won’t tell him. But I don’t think I can separate them anymore. Not when Daehyun said that even just his presence makes him so happy. You know what? Daehyun never asked anything from me. But he begged me in order to make me let him go to the amusement park with Yifan. You should see how his eyes sparked with excitement when he talked to Yifan. You should hear how cheerful his tone was when he talked about Yifan. I can’t take away his happiness though his happiness is someone who ruined my life.” Soojin’s voice cracked as the tears escaped her eyes.

 

“Please don’t cry, Jin. I’m sorry.” Soojung replied as she got up and walked to Soojin’s side to give her a hug. “I’m just afraid you will forgive him so easily.”

 

“I already forgave him, Soojung. Maybe long time ago. Because when I saw him, I couldn’t feel any hatred toward him anymore. He gave me Daehyun and I think Daehyun is the most beautiful gift I have ever received in my entire life.”

 

“What did Wu Yifan say to you? I hope he didn’t give you a false hope this time.” There was an intense resentment when Soojung mentioned his name.

 

“He never gave me a false hope, Soojung. He never promised me anything. He never promised me a happy ending. It was my fault too. You can’t only blame him for everything.”

 

“You are forever defending him, Jin. I don’t understand you. He ruined everything. He destroyed your future. He separated you from your family. He took your everything.”

 

“You don’t have to remind me his fault, Soojung.” Soojin closed her eyes and exhaled slowly. The thought of his refusal when she came to him four years ago was painful, especially since he’d brought this misfortune to them both. Wu Yifan ruined everything. He destroyed her future. He separated her from her family. And she didn’t need to be reminded how miserable her life was because of him.

 

But he also gave her a new life, and no matter how much Soojin hated to admit it, she was actually a lot happier now. She could do what she liked to do. She could do what she wanted to do. She was no longer life like a prisoner. Then how could she force herself to hate him when there was a part of her felt thankful for everything she had now?

 

“You are not planning to get back together with him, are you?”

 

Soojin shook her head. “She is married to my sister, Soojung. Besides, I told him that I’m married. With Chanyeol. I don’t know what has got into me but I need to make him think that he doesn’t have the chance to be with me so he won’t leave Soorin for me.”

 

“Too bad, I found out that you are lying to me, Soojin.” A voice, harsh and steely, interrupted the two best friends’ moment. Soojin gulped as she could recognize the voice; a voice she knew all too well, and she looked up into the harsh brown eyes of the person she expected the least to come in this very moment.

 

“What a polite way to interrupt other people’s conversation.” Soojung’s voice dripped with sarcasm, gaining Kris’ attention. He turned his head to see her.

 <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter