Steppin'

Beside

 

The chill of winter's breeze strangles his bones while snowflakes feather his skin with light kisses. There's a mood floating around the atmosphere, the gray sky a visible representation. He's become numb to everything around him, but his legs move on their own accord. They aren’t sure where they're heading but they carry Changmin to an unknown destination.  It feels as though he's been stuck in the same place, knee deep in blocks of ice. His legs are starting to give out, energy draining but the surge of cold pushes him to keep walking. The streets are almost empty as each citizen scurries into the safety of their homes. Each step brings him closer to the place that fills him with warmth all the way on the inside even if he's reluctant to admit- manly pride they call it. He prefers to call it a comfortable companionship.


His frozen fingers rarely register the press of the buzzer but his ears are sharp to the sound of the buzzing door allowing him admittance into the building. Once inside Changmin stands in place and lets the warm begin wrap around his legs and face to defrost. It gives him a few extra seconds to meditate on whether or not he wants to go through with but the ice around his heart begins to crack and Changmin decides that yeah, he really needs this.


So he foregoes the elevator walks up the stairs to the highest floor. It’s not because he's nervous or because he needs more to time to compose himself. It's just an unconscious reaction, like closing your eyes when you sneeze or blinking when a sudden bright light shines right in front of you. Changmin tells himself all this but that doesn’t stop the burning feeling in his cheeks when the door is opened to show a familiar face with a warm hue.


"You look like you’re freezing," Yunho says with that always caring tone. Changmin just gives him a wry smile like saying that he didn’t notice the melting icicles in his hair and the bridge of his nose. Yunho welcomes Changmin just as he's always done because he's the coal that keeps him in motion and the warm breeze that helps him soar over any obstacle.


"Do you need anything? Hot chocolate? Tea?"


"N-no thank you. I'm alright." Changmin tells himself that the stutter is from the shivering and not his nerves.


"Take this," Yunho drapes a blanket around Changmin and rubs his back to heat him up. What he doesn’t know is that just the feel of his hands has Changmin burning up and sweat inside his coat.


They stay like this for a while, side by side on the couch with Yunho's arm gently rubbing off his warmth and Changmin melting little by little.


"You're not even gonna ask?" he questions because it isn’t like this hasn’t happened before. Sometimes Changmin is dripping head to toe from heavy rain fall or drunk off frozen cocktails and each time he seeks comfort in Yunho's gentle arms and caring words. It's all for the same reason. It's all for the sake of feeling like there’s something out there that can counterattack the cold harsh reality of the world. It's because Yunho is the someone that can make Changmin melt right next to his feet.


"I already know," Yunho replies after some thought. Changmin looks up and drinks up the smile that’s looking down at him. It warms him up on the inside more than any beverage could.


They scoot closer together and Yunho holds Changmin tighter. In time, the snow will disappear as they wait for the rising sun and start another day in their lives.

 

Ahhh my first dbsk piece why am i so nervous posting this? >.<