Masks part 2

An angel

Oh, yeah. He's definitely in love with me. Wait, how should I react to this?

 

Ken was stunned. He found himself in a unexpected situation. Ken had no idea the fearsome captain of the Slytherin quidditch team is in love with him, after all this time, Ken firmly believed that Leo had something against him, glaring at Ken for days. In fact, Ken was surprised to find that the manly Leo batted for the same team.

 

Luckily, Hakyeon chose this exact moment to charge towards him, giving Ken a chance to look away from Leo.

 

KEN! So that's where you have been! How could you leave your friend behind wringing in agony, I needed your moral support. I knew I should have asked Ravi to accompany instead.” His redheaded friend shrieked, brandishing his bandaged thumb.

 

When is his sugar rush going to die down?

 

Sheesh, will you stop being so dramatic? It was a splinter. No big deal.”

 

NO BIG DEAL?! That thing was shoved halfway through my thumb! I'm complaining to Ravi about how insensitive you are!” At this he stomped out of the hospital wing, earning a death glare at Madam Pomfrey for causing a ruckus.

 

, I'm going to get killed by Ravi.

 

Turning back to face Leo, he smiled sheepishly and

 

Sorry, my friend can be quite the drama queen sometimes. I gotta go chase after him before he blabs on me. Here you can have this.” Making sure to set down the packet of beans he stole took as a get well gift on Leo's bedside table before sprinting off, when an idea sparked off in his head. Raising his voice a bit higher than usual, he called over his shoulder.

 

Get well soon, Mr sure-I-love-Bertie-Lott’s-Beans!”

 

He was rewarded with a fleeting glance of Leo with his jaw hanging open. Chuckling to himself, he sprinted after Hakyeon so that he could stop that sugar junkie from exaggerating the whole situation to Ravi. An angry Ravi is not to be messed with especially if its related to Hakyeon. Thankfully, there was no need to tackle Hakyeon to the ground because Ken had found him, collapsed in Ravi's arms at the same place Ken left him at.

 

I see the sugar has finally drained off. Lucky me~

 

Er, do you know what Hakyeon was going to tell me? He was yelling something while he charged towards me only to knock out before finishing his sentence.” Ravi looked up at Ken, curious.

 

I have no idea.” Cheshire grin on his face, he hooked his arms under Hakyeon's armpits while Ravi grabbed his legs and the two of them carried their friend back to the Gryffindor Common room.

 

 

 

The next day, Ken was back at the Library with the followers for another round of tutoring and studying. They had an upcoming Transfiguration test that Ken was desperate for them to pass it so Professor McGonagall could see his effort and lift this burden off him. However just like the other rounds of tutoring, it was failing. Terribly.

 

Did you hear, B and C are in a relationship!”

 

I thought they were friends? Besides she's dating D.”

 

Obviously she's two-timing them.”

 

Don't you guys want to start revising for the test?” Ken spoke up. He had already revised and memorized half of the topics that was to be tested in the span of half an hour while they were busy gossiping. “It would really benefit you all if you past, since the scores for this test will help you a lot for Midterms. I prepared a list of the key points in the topics tested for all of you so it will be easier to study for the test.” He passed each of them their own copy of notes. Putting on his sincere mask, he continued “If there's anything you don't understand, feel free to ask me. I'll be more than happy to explain it to you.”

 

Geez, you're such a worrywart Ken! With your notes, it would be ridiculous if we don't pass! Let loose a little, join in the conversation.” After saying this, they left the notes on the table and resumed their conversation.

 

I have every right to be worried. It will take a miracle to happen for at least one of you to pass.

 

How bout we read through the chapters together? That way, we will have better understanding on the topics.” Ken persisted.

 

We'll read it later.” They replied in unison.

 

Crack. He could feel his facade breaking apart the more his patience wore thin. If it wasn't for the hard work he built up over the years, he wouldn't be tolerating them. Pursing his lips to keep his temper down, he focused on the other important thing. Leo's affection towards him but moreover, why him? Why be so in love with someone you have talked to? Ken brushed his bangs over his eyes and shifted his line of sight towards a nearby table where a recently discharged Leo sat behind a pile of library books to discreetly to gaze at Ken from time to time. This way, Ken could analyze Leo without alerting the latter.

 

Jung Leo from Slytherin. Angular jaw line, flawless pale skin, modelesque height, good physique...Typical silent cold city man style except when faced with his crush, he becomes a blabbering mess albeit a cute one. Aura of doucheness and common Slytherin sneer is missing. Average grades, excellent sports skills. Huh, with all these good points he should all throngs of girls and boys lining up for him. So why chose me? Oh right....how could I forgot...with all these personas I have. He must have fell in love with one of them just like the rest of them. It's probably the model student one. Who wouldn't like an angel? So pure, so righteous. Ha, there's no way he would like the real me.

 

The purse on his lips deepened as disappointment seeped into him. Inside of Ken, the little light of hope that Leo liking the real him faded out. While the noise surrounding him filled his head, replacing his thoughts.

 

Noisy. Can't they keep quiet for just 1 second.

 

Leo needs help with his potions brewing.” Nakhun announced, suddenly appearing in front of Ken with eyebrows raised and Leo standing behind him looking shocked. Everyone at the table had stopped talking, heads turned, surprised not because leo needed help but by the fact that a Slytherin was asking a Gryffindor for help.

 

I do?”

 

Leo has been finding it difficult to brew the perfect Sleeping Draught and he wants you to help him since you're the top student in our class.” Nakhun carried on, ignoring whatever Leo said.

 

Truth be told, Ken didn't feel up to it, spending one on one time with a person who liked an image of you was saddening coming from all the past experiences he had. Just as he was about to decline, he caught sight of Leo's hopeful expression.

 

He likes the model student persona of you, Ken. Don't let him down.

 

Sure, I got some time to spare-” He started to say before someone amongst the followers interrupted.

 

Since when did you want the help from us, Gryffindors? The last time I checked, Slytherin hated our guts for being a bunch of goody-two-shoes, preaching about justice and loyalty and mixing around with muggle-borns. Such that associating with us soils your pure-blood roots as well.” The rest of the followers nodded in agreement, some even spoke up about how this was some kind of trick to lure Ken out, away from his friends so he could be beaten up.

 

Why thank you so much for butting into a conversation that obviously doesn't concern you what so ever because I am 3 years old and can't speak for myself. Now, because of you blatantly criticizing Nakhun and Leo who is pretty much the most innocent one here, I have to clear up this before serious happens. Thank you so much.

 

As Leo stepped forward with a menacing glare on his face, the followers shrank back into their seats, afraid that Leo was going to hit them. Ken stood up abruptly from his seat, gathering his stuff while facing Leo, successfully distracting the captain.

 

I'm sorry, they were being rather rude. I'll meet up at the dungeon this evening for some extra potions brewing practice at around 6.00p.m? Is that okay with you, Leo?”

 

Er, sure.”

 

Great, I'll see you soon.” Ken swiftly turned away and walked off. The followers quickly gathered up their things and tailed him, shoving past both Leo and Nakhun.

 

However, Ken had already vanished, his facade was already on breaking point, with cracks forming on his masks.

 

 

5.57pm....5.58pm...5,59pm. Damn, it took me forever to convince Snape to let me use the classroom. Should have just mentioned Leo in the first place. Thought Ken as he ran down the staircases to the dungeons. He had spent the rest of the day hiding in the room of requirement lazing on the millions of cushions and beanbags littered all over the place, reading witches weekly, humming tunes and eating potato chips that never seem to finish. Everything he needed to clam down and relax, it gave Ken a perfect opportunity to regain his composure and turn back into model student Ken for Leo.

 

LEO!”

A faint smile played on the Slytherin student's lips as he watched Ken approach him.

 

That's a nice smile.

 

I managed to get permission to use the classroom to practice for 2 hours. Snape was a bit unwilling at first, luckily I mentioned you.” Ken winked at him as they entered.

 

M-me?”

 

Uh huh, said you needed help after missing class for 2 days and I agreed to help you. He immediately granted me permission to use the classroom after that. He always favors students from Slytherin.”

 

Ken was now setting up his cauldron and assembling all the ingredients they needed, textbook flipped open. “You needed help with the sleeping draught right? I'll aid you through each of the steps as we brew the potion. Do you have your textbook with you? It'll be easier if you have your own copy of the directions in front of you.”

 

Remember Ken. Don't let him down just how you don't with the others.

 

Er, yeah. It's in my bag somewhere...” Leo dug around his bag, pulling out book after book and laying it on the table until he found the one he was looking for. He flipped it open to the page on the sleeping draught and used the other books to prop it up.

 

All set? If there's anything you don't understand, feel free to ask. And if you are unsure of what to do, follow whatever I do.”

 

Thus, they began. Pounding the respective ingredients and adding them to the cauldron. They worked in silence, both concentrating on their cauldrons. A few times the silence was broken, mostly because Leo nearly added an additional round of ingredients because he was too engross in watching Ken brewing the potion effortlessly. At this, Ken would then yelped in alarm, reaching out to stop Leo from adding in more ingredients to the potions and ruining it before resuming his own brewing. It was a nice change of environment from the loud gossiping bunch, unlike them, Leo was attentive to every every step, there was silence but it was comfortable. In fact, Ken rather enjoyed his company, he felt he could confine all his problems in Leo if they weren't strangers.

 

Soon, it was time to let the potion simmer for 70 minutes. “Let's have a break, we'll continue again once it is done simmering.” Ken announced motioning Leo to sit down and rest. “You've been doing well so far aside from some slips here and there. You'll be able to master this by the end of the session for sure.”

 

T-thanks for helping me, I won't have been this good if you weren't guiding me through the steps.....You probably have better things to do, with your friends instead of being stuck here with me, I be must taking up lots of your time.”

 

If you're referring to the followers, then hell no. I'll rather be with you than them, at least my facade is not in imminent danger.

 

Nah,” Ken waved his hand dismissively. “I should be the one thanking you, if you and Nakhun hadn't come over and asked for my assistance, I wouldn't have been able to leave that table. Besides, I need to make it up to you after they were so rude to you.”

 

Why? Were you stuck on your chair?”

 

Haha, oh my gosh, he's too cute to be true. So innocent, so so innocent.

 

What? Hahahahahaha, nah. I couldn't stand the noise they were creating but I couldn't find a proper excuse to get up and leave you know? Without offending them. I was this close to snapping at them for being noisy and following me around where ever I went.” Ken carried on. His index finger hovering just slightly above his thumb to emphasize his point

 

But aren't they your friends? Friends are always together aren't they?”

 

Friends? But friends wouldn't about you behind your back once you are gone. Friends appreciate things you do to help them out and not chuck your effort out of the window. Facades, personas and masks don't exist amongst friends. Don't they?

 

Well I wouldn't say we're friends...more like acquaintances? oh what the heck, I barely even know them and I'm pretty sure they barely know me either. They just decide to become super chummy with me and started hanging around with me everywhere I go. Don't be surprised,” Ken smiled wryly at Leo, whose mouth was wide open forming an O. “It happens a lot, most of them hang around me to up their popularity. Although one or two genuinely want to be friends but that happens once in a blue moon. The rest are really pretentious or annoying like the ones you've meet, disruptive and rude.”

 

Or the ones like me, a multiple-face bastard.

 

I just had enough about them telling me what's good for me and what's not. Who I should be friends with and who to avoid, acting like they care about me only to run off when things get nasty. And if they're not advising on how to life my life, they would gossiping about each other.” Ken threw his hands up in frustration.

 

Is everyone around you like that?” He never knew Ken felt that way. Being popular doesn't seem that glamorous anymore.

 

Nah, I do have a few close friends, those who I've known for years, those who are actually there for me at my lowest. You've met one of them at the hospital wing, the redhead? His name is Hakyeon, I've known him and his best friend since we were kids.”

 

Oh, er good for you.” Leo said.

 

Shoot, I wasn't suppose to vomit all my frustrations.

 

I'm sorry for suddenly ranting. You must be bored hearing these fickle problems of mine.” Ken apologized. “I don't know what came over me, I rarely confine in people I hardly talk to...maybe its because of your soothing presence that pushed me to talk.”

 

I think it's time to stop talking.

 

Soothing? Most people find me cold or intimidating.”

 

Really? I find your quiet demeanor calming, if not rather attractive. You must have lots of fangirls.”

 

Why isn't my mouth listening to me?

 

Woah, you're bushing! I must be right then, you must tons of girls lining up to be your girlfriend.”

 

Stop it Ken. Stop teasing him, this is not model student behavior!

 

Nonononono, I don't have a single fangirl neither do I want a girlfriend! ” Leo's hands flew up to his face in an attempt to cover his already bright red face.

 

Aw, is the great Captain of the Slytherin team shy?” Ken peered at Leo.

 

That's really cute.

 

That's really cute.”

 

At this, Leo shoved everything in his bag, books and ingredients, cleared his cauldron with a wave of his wand and sped out of there, without a second glance leaving Ken alone in the classroom, gaping into the air as realization smacked him squarely in the face.

 

I just called him cute.

 

Sighing,he waved his wand over his cauldron clearing its contents. There was no need to continue brewing the sleeping draught since Leo was already gone. Just as he was packing his stuff pack into his red bag pack, he noticed an unfamiliar mahogany colored book lying on Leo's side of the table. A part of Ken screamed to picked it up and read it. Whatever the book was, that rotten part of Ken knew it contained secrets that belonged to Leo, secrets that Ken could use to blackmail the innocent man with.

 

Shaking his head violently to clear those vile thoughts, he picked up his bag pack and walked off.

 

Only to make a U-turn to pick up the book and flip it open to read its pages.

 

I'm just going to read the first sentence that's all. Nothing more. And I'll give it back to Leo pronto.

 

It was the same dream again.

 

I've got to read on.

 

Year 5 night 17:

 

It was the same dream again.

 

I found myself back on the first day of my second tear, sitting at the Slytherin table along with the rest of the Slytherin students waiting for the sorting to be completed so that I could take my place with the rest of the choir members to perform in the grand hall for the first time. The surge of excitement rose within my 12 year old self when the time came. The choir stood in position and began singing with toads in our hands. (Mine was borrowed though since I got a cat as a pet instead.) I was standing beside a fellow second year whom I never spoke to. This particular second year from Gryffindor blew my mind off when he opened his mouth. His voice was beautiful, smooth as silk but strong and steady. I turn to look at him, taking in his chocolate brown hair and large nose. The light from the candles cast a soft glow on him. “You are an angel.” I said, lyrics left forgotten at the back of my mind. But the angel didn't hear me, so I reached out to tap him but I kept getting further and further away from him. “Ken!” I shouted, I was 16 again, but everything already faded into darkness.

 

He's an angel and I'm a normal person. He lives in a different world, forever out of my reach.

 

Ken could feel his heart tightening and his cheeks warming up just like it was at the hospital wing. He was touched and also guilty.

 

I'm not the angel you think of me as. Neither am I the perfect person in school that everyone thinks I am. But I didn't care. So why? Why is it when it comes to you, I feel so guilty for lying? Am I reaching my breaking point already? No it's too early, I can't stop now, there's still 2 more years left. I can still hold on. I can-

 

The image of Leo's smile and flustered face appears in Ken's mind and his heart tightens again.

 

I-I-I can't. I can't do it anymore. This has to stop.

 

Hence he took out his quill and scribbled on a little note at the corner of the page.

 

Oi, In guk!” He called to the Slytherin prefect that conveniently walked by. “Could you pass this to Leo for me? It's important. Thanks!” Ken dumped the book into In guk's hands before the prefect could reply and went off, ripping off every layer of personas with each step. And boy did it feel good.

 

 

The feeling of euphoria did not last long though because the minute he was back at the Gryffindor Common room, he was cornered by the angry followers.

 

You were with that Slytherin right? Didn't Professor McGonagall entrust you to befriend and help us? Guess you don't really know your priorities that well like we thought you would.”

 

Honestly Ken, I'm so disappointed in you. All of us told you not to mix around with him. He's bad company.”

 

We even stood up for you in the Library today!”

 

Leave him alone, will you?” Hakyeon pushed past them and stood protectively beside of Ken. Ravi stood on his other side, pushing his sleeves up and cracking his knuckles. Ready to fight.

 

It's okay, I can't handle this myself.” Ken smiled reassuringly at his friends as he stepped forward. Ken was not going to let this slide this time. He no longer putting on a facade. This time he was himself. His crude sarcastic self.

 

I know my f***ing priorities alright. I don't need any of you to dictate what it should be and should not because being nice to you gossipers is definitely not the top of my list.” Ken hissed at them, eyes narrowing. He could feel the rest of the students eyes on him now but he wasn't going to stop. There was so many things to say.

 

My job was to tutor you so that your grades could improve NOT to befriend you and I would if you were nice. Moreover, I have my own damn b****ing right to befriend whoever I want ok? And that includes Leo too, who by the way is times a billions times better than you in terms of being a friend. Oh yes, I said it, A Slytherin is better than a Gryffindor. You want to know why? Because he doesn't b**** about me whenever I'm not around and act all nice and sunny when I am around. And above all he's not my mother. NO, I'm not done yet.” Ken held up his hand when they tried to speak up.

 

In what way have you stood up for me? Nakhun nor Leo was even bullying me! They were asking for my help because unlike you ungrateful whelps who wait for my notes to drops onto your laps only to chuck it one side, they needed it. If you think that with just my notes you are finally going to pass, you are sorely mistaken because your thick skulls are filled with so much junk from gossiping every motherf***ing second that knowledge can't squeeze in.”

 

What is going on here!” Amidst Ken confrontation, someone had called for Professor McGonagall to diffuse the situation and now here she was, standing in front of them, looking sternly at the followers and at Ken, Ravi and Hakyeon.

 

Professor McGonagall! You are just the right person I wanted to see.” Ken exclaimed. “Pertaining to the duty entrusted onto me a few weeks ago about helping these students, please excuse me for saying this, but I quit! I f***ing QUIT!!!! I have wasted too much of my time preparing notes and forming tutoring sessions only to have them turn into b****ing session because they just don't give a f*** about improving!” Happy that he has said his piece, he turned around with a flourish and hooked his arms around his friends shoulders, marching right up to their dorm room. For once, he didn't care about how everyone was looking at him, he was on cloud nine. The years of meeting everyone expectation was finally off his shoulders. There was no more need to care.

 

Ravi, pop open that bottle of butterbeer you've saving. We need to commemorate the day I became a FREE man!”

 

 

...

 

The astronomy classroom was Ken's favorite place in Hogwarts next to his comfort room in the room of requirement. There was a great observation deck where he could place his telescope at and observe the stars and moon, it also provided a great night view of the rest of the castle. It was here that Ken sat waiting for Leo to come.

As he waited, he thought about Leo's dream entry.

 

He's an angel and I'm a normal person. He lives in a different world, forever out of my reach.

 

Well, I'm done being perfect. I guess that means I'm within your reach now eh?

 

The creaking of a door signaled a frightened Leo's entrance. Ken could see the captain squeezing his eyes shut, mouth forming a thin line, hands gripping his robes tightly.

 

Haha, he's still adorable. Thought Ken as he got up from where he was sitting and walked towards the door. With each step, Leo flinched. When he was in front of Leo, he leaned forward so that he could whisper into Leo's ear. Ken planted his hands firmly against the door behind Leo, blocking of any possible escape. Seeing Leo like this, Ken couldn't resist teasing him.

 

You look like you're eating a lemon.”

 

Leo snapped his eyes opened and yelped in shock. He jerked his head back, colliding it painfully with the wooden door.

 

Holding back his laughter, he continued.

 

So you have a crush on me. Why?”

 

I-I-I just do.” Leo stammered. “I fell in love with everything about you. Your smile, your voice, the way you concentrate on your work and prefect duties, everything.”

 

I know.

 

You don't think I am a goody-two-shoes, always preaching about justice and loyalty and mixing around with muggle-borns. Aren't you afraid I would soil your pure-blood roots?”

 

You're different. Aren't you afraid I'm some powerful dark wizard?” Leo tilted his chin up.

 

Fair enough. I must warn you I'm not the angel you think I am in your dreams. My friends always say I have a sadistic streak in me. I can be really horrible to you. Are you sure you will still love me after knowing this?”

 

The once extinguished little light of hope flickered within Ken.

 

Yes.”

 

Staring deep into Leo eyes, he saw the determination and sincerity alive in the captain. A wave of relief flowed into Ken for some reason.

 

Smiling, he leaned back and retracted his hands away from the door, folding them across his chest.

 

Alright then, let's date. Convince me to fall equally hard for you”

 

I definitely will.”

 

Ken may not be equally as infatuated as Leo but being with someone so charming like the latter, it was only a matter of time.

 

I know you will.” Ken said as he grabbed Leo's hand and led he out of the classroom to go back to the Grand Hall.

 

 

*Taptaptaptaptaptaptap*

 

He snapped out of that daze he didn't even realize he was in and came face to face with a enlarged pair of black eyes.

 

GAHHHHH!!!!” Ken screamed as he scrambled back, dropping his omnioculors. “Geez, Leo don't scare me like that!”

 

While, Ken was reminiscing, Leo had flown up to Ken's window after his quidditch practice calling his name and tapping the window to get his attention.

 

Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you.” Leo apologized when Ken opened the window so that they could hear what each other was saying. “I er, wanted to ask you something.”

 

Yes?” Ken propped his head on his hand as he leaned a little out of the window. His eyebrows raised in amusement.

 

Erm, well, its been a month since we started d-dating, I er thought we should....” Leo trialed on as he gripped his broom handle tighter.

 

Aw, is my boyfriend asking me out on a date to celebrate our 1 month anniversary?”

 

Yes? I was thinking maybe during a weekend so we could go to Hogsmeade together. Is that okay?” A ray of hope beamed from the captain's face.

 

Gosh, he's too cute to be true.

 

I may have some prefects duty to do on that day,” He saw the ray of hope dimmed in Leo's face. “But, I guess I could switch with Eunkwang since his are next week. So yeah, I guess I can make it.”

 

Thanks Ken.” A radiant smile played on Leo's face, warming Ken's heart.

 

We're a couple, we should go on proper dates from time to time.”

 

I mean thank you, as in thank you for agreeing to date me, I will do my best to convince you to fall in love with me.”

 

Ken took in his boyfriend's dark eyes, the ones that gaze at him with so much love even though he was imperfect. His cool calm attitude that provided a listening ear to all of Ken's problems for hours and hours. His careful pauses before he spoke in order to pick out the words Ken wanted to hear the most.

 

There was no need for Leo to try any more because he already succeeded.

 

And Ken made sure he knew by leaning in to meet his lips.

 

 

^^^

A/n: HI, so this is the end of masks and an angel. Thank you all for reading and subscribing to this story. I am so touched TT^TT I am so happy that many people enjoyed Ken and Leo's story.

 

I am currently in the process of creating another story but this time with characters from another idol group, so stay tuned!

And Happy Valentine's day everyone!

Constructive feedback is appreciated.

Please enjoy!~