The New Pilot (AKA: “the grease ball”)

THE STEREOTYPICAL DRAMA: AIRPORT EDITION

 

 

Seri walked with her friends, lost in thought. The final words of her parents rang through her ears: “Grow strong.”

 

Since her parents had died 16 years ago, Seri had had a total of 34 plane crash visions, from all over the world. They terrified her and always came at night in the form of a dream.

After every nightmare, Seri would scour the Internet for news of any airplane crashes and sure enough… every time there would be news of a recent crash killing every single passenger. No survivors.

 

Just like her parents’ plane.

 

Seri had wondered if she could try stopping these tragedies in advance, but it was impossible. She had no idea where the fated plane would take off, where it would land, or when. She could only wait in hopeless horror.

The one time she had tried warning people about a potential plane crash had landed her in the police station for causing “extreme public disturbance” and “terrorizing citizens.”

 

Seri had realized that she could only get used to the idea of death. So by throwing herself into a busy social life and with a numb passivity towards her visions, Seri learned to live a half-normal life.

 

Unfortunately, her visions came with a price.

Insomnia and Phobia.

Unable to sleep in fear of more dreams, she tosses and turns until forced to close her eyes from pure exhaustion. The endless nights take their toll.

A phobia of flight…

For as long as she could remember, Seri wanted to be a pilot. Flying inside the clouds. The power of the steering wheel in her hands…

For 16 years, Seri allowed fear to control her life. Now… she was going to take a stand against the unfairness of destiny. Even if daytime Seri and nighttime Seri were still two very different people, she was going to “grow strong.”

If life wanted to give her a fear of flying (the one thing Seri wants to do most in the world), she would show life that she was that much stronger and she would fly that much higher.

 

With a thoughtful sigh, Seri looked at her friends. Two girls who also have life goals outside of simply being an attendant… just like her.

Nana dreams of becoming a journalist who travels the world, writing about her various adventures in different countries.

Eunji wants to be a photographer. Architecture fascinates her, and she wants to see more than just Korean buildings or famous structures through the Internet.

Being an attendant was the closest thing they could find to traveling the world for free.

 

“Why are you looking at us like that again?” Eunji nudged.

 

“Like what?”

 

“Like... like you’re about to kiss us,” Nana replied, backing away.

 

“I’m just happy that we’re working together. If it weren’t for you guys, I don’t know how I would have been able to get through my first flight,” Seri grinned, remembering her terrifying first experience. Then with a playful giggle, she ran towards Nana and pinching her cheeks.

 

Nana squealed, grabbing Eunji threateningly.

 

“Go away or Eunji gets it!” She lowered her voice dramatically and whispered over Eunji’s head, “Honestly though, I’ll be doing both of us a favor. Her breath is kiicccking.”

 

“Hey! It’s the stupid lunch!” Eunji used one hand to reach up and bop Nana gently on the forehead and used the other to cover .

 

“Who told you to eat so much damn garlic?”

 

“Nana! Don’t curse!” Seri groaned, thinking of the last complaint a passenger had given about the colorful language that had come spewing forth from Nana’s constantly jabbering mouth.

 

“I’ll do whatever the fu-“

 

“Good morning ladies.”

 

Nana stopped short, hanging open. Eunji rubbed her eyes, wondering if she was dreaming. Seri lifted her hand slowly, closing Nana’s mouth, but her eyes never left the y beast before her.


No… Eunji wasn’t dreaming. The man in front of the three flight attendants was real. And he was going to be their new pilot.

 

HAIIIILLLL YESSSS.

 

Seri quickly turned towards Nana.

“You already have President Noh. This one’s mine.”
 

“Hey what if I want him?” Eunji muttered.

 

“Too late. I already called him.”


With a wink towards her friends, she walked forward, coming face to face with the man of EVERYONE’S dreams.

 

“Good morning. I’m assuming you will be the new pilot for Airplane 3001? I’m Jung Seri, flight attendant.”

 

He smiled and suddenly the sun seemed to come out from behind the clouds and shine from the window behind him, illuminating his golden-dyed hair. Yes, even the sun wanted to take a peek at this gorgeous man.

 

 “I’m Pilot Baek Soohyun of Airplane 3001. It’s a pleasure to meet the people I will be working with.” The pilot bowed slightly, before lifting up his face so that their eyes met.

 

Seri let out a small breath of air. So this is what it felt like… to see… the face of an angel?

 

“Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?
 

Silence.

 

“Excuse me?” Soohyun cocked his head, looking at Seri with a small smile tugging at the corner of his lips.

 

Seri clamped a hand over . She could hear Eunji burst out laughing and could see Nana practically rolling on the floor.

 

“NO. SHUT UP. Did I really just say that?! Did I really just use the LAMEST pick up line in the world on this THE NEW Y PILOT?” Seri mentally screamed, her toes curling.

 

“Hehehe… I mean… when you…” There was no way Seri could save herself.

 

Luckily Eunji ran up to come to her rescue.

 

“What she meant to say was: ‘You’re the new pilot? I think you mean the new      yum-let. Anyways, I’m in love with you and your fantastically defined . I think we have compatible butts. Don’t you fe-”

Before she could continue, Seri shoved her friend (now enemy) away.

 

“DEATH. DEATH TO EUNJI.” Seri thought, closing her eyes.

 

“HAHAHAA!!! Good one Eunji!” Nana gave her a high five, as they both began pounding the wall in laughter.

 

“They think they’re really funny. I’m… really sorry,” Seri apologized, putting a hand over her forehead. “I’m just going to take them and go…”

 

She reached out to grab the two freaks’ hands and lead them away so she could beat them up when Soohyun called out:

 

“Actually… yes. It did hurt when I fell from heaven. I’ve been waiting for a beautiful girl to come and heal my broken wings. And… I think I’ve finally laid eyes on the one.”

With a cool smile, he made a finger gun and pointed it at her.

He winked before shooting her straight through her heart with his bullet of loveeee.

 

Author’s Note:

EEEEK. SO GREASY EH? Hahaha Soohyun thinks he’s so cool… but could you imagine Luhan actually doing that?? LOL no way…