The Ring

That Familiar Smile on Your Eyes

   Chapter 4 : The Ring 

   

They headed off the school and onto the street. The streets were quiet and almost empty except for a few students heading home after the night classes. Woo Bin walked closer to him, their shoulders brushing against one another. Just two blocks and they will be in the park in front of Jong Suk’s house. Or rather, his parents’ house that he shared with his sister. It wasn’t that bad. His father and mother lived downstairs and his sister in the room adjacent to theirs, and Jong Suk had his dad’s old office at the top floor. His room was small, but kind of special, like something from out of a fairy tale, or a drama. It’s got a great view of the park, and his mother redecorated it just last year, hanging new curtains and painting the walls a pale blue-grey, just like the colour of his eyes.

It took him about twenty minutes to walk home; sometimes he really wished he’d learned to ride a bike like his sister did. Oh well…I can spend more time with Woo Bin this way, he thought shaking off the regrets.

Woo Bin suddenly caught Jong Suk’s hand in his and Jong Suk whipped around in alarm. He had not expected him to hold hands and walk home like some cheesy couple. But Woo Bin’s warm palms didn’t feel that bad; if being honest, they felt heart-thumping warm.  

“What are you doing? What if someone see?” Jong Suk said, looking around worriedly, though he secretly loved the way Woo Bin’s fingers intertwined with his, and the warmth that drifted into his cold fingers, just like a fire in the Antarctic.  

“Don’t worry, it’s dark so no one will see,” Woo Bin flashed a smile. Jong Suk returned his smile and darted his gaze down shyly. His eyes caught the silver ring rocking back and forth gently against his chest. Jong Suk wanted to ask why he gave that ring to him, why it was Jong Suk he loved and not Jin-Ah…but he didn’t know how. He thought it would be the most natural thing for a guy to fall for a girl, especially if they were twins wouldn’t he have gone for the girl? Even if he fell for Jong Suk, since it’s natural to be with a girl and since that girl also has the same face as him…why didn’t Woo Bin fall for her?

Jong Suk felt the urge to ask him why he fell in love with him, why he didn’t choose Jin-Ah instead of him. He supposed that it’s possible to fall for another guy though there was a girl with the same appearance, after all he didn’t fall for Woo Bin’s sister who had pretty much the same looks as him…well except for the height…perhaps not he thought when he remembered the plummy girl who, in a way, looked nothing like Woo Bin. Then he wondered what he loved about Woo Bin…his looks? His personality? Because he is the one always with me? no, it wasn’t any of that…it’s just that…he couldn’t think of a reason, he only knew that he loved this boy.

“What are you thinking?” Woo Bin broke the silence between them.

“Oh?” Jong Suk looked up; a bunch of trees surrounded them in a dim lighted area that was very familiar to him. “We are already here?” the words came out with disappointment.

Woo Bin chuckled. “Where on earth was your mind?” he teased Jong Suk. Jong Suk looked into his eyes and pouted. He didn’t want to separate from him yet…he wished Woo Bin was a teddy, so he can keep him locked in his room.

“Why…? Missing me already?” Woo Bin giggled a tease out as he watched Jong Suk’s disappointed face. Jong Suk didn’t laugh; instead he tightened their entangled fingers.

“Yeah…” Jong Suk murmured into the cold night.

Woo Bin’s smile disappeared. He broke their knotted hands and grabbed Jong Suk’s face in his hands; he bent down and closed the gap between them. Jong Suk jolted at the unexpected move. What is thinking? What if someone sees us? Jong Suk tried to break away from his lips, but he was held tight in place by a pair of steady hands. Woo Bin his way along those slightly swollen lips, softly at the thin line of his top lip. A bolt of pleasure struck at Jong Suk’s heart and down to his last limb; his heart gave up the struggle. When Woo Bin’s tongue found its way into his mouth and started tracking down the warm slipperiness of his tongue, his knees gave up. And when those soft lips nibbled gently at his lips, his mind gave up with a soft moan. That’s when Woo Bin finally broke off from the kiss.

Woo Bin looked into the yearning gleam in those grey eyes staring back at him, begging him to continue the kiss. He was satisfied; he grinned.

“See you tomorrow,” Woo Bin said and gave a quick peck on Jong Suk’s lips before walking past the park into the street that would take him to his house.

Jong Suk stared still.

When a cat meowed past him he was pulled back to earth and Woo Bin was long gone. Jerk! He is toying with me…he thought, remembering that satisfied grin on Woo Bin’s face when he was clearly begging for more. He traced a finger along his lip; he could still taste Woo Bin on his lips.

***

When Jong Suk reached home, Lee Jin-Ah was waiting at the door. Her face didn’t look happy at all, given that it was her birthday too today. She crossed her arms and stepped down from the door step.

“What took you so long?” her irritated eyes stared at him.

“Sorry, I…”

She huffed a mocking laughter. “You forgot it didn’t you?”

Of course, who was he kidding? She is his twin sister and she knew how careless he can be.

“Sorry,” he said, keeping his eyes on the floor.

“You are back?” his mother peered behind the door, her voice turbulent. “What took you so long? Do you know how long we waited?” she opened the door wide. “Why are you still waiting outside? Come in quickly!”

The house was full with the smell of food and his father was sitting at the dinner table.

“Oh, you are home?” he said when he saw Jong Suk. His voice was as calm as ever and a peaceful smile on his face. In his house, Jong Suk felt most comfortable with his father, because he always understood or at least tried to understand things calmly unlike his mother who would only scream like her head was on fire.

“What were you doing until this late? We called you so many times you didn’t even pick up your phone,” his mother complained as she walked toward the dinner table. Jong Suk said nothing. He dumped his bag by the staircase and followed behind his sister.

“Stop nagging now,” his father said, looking at his mother’s annoyed face. “He’s home now so that’s enough.”

His mother finally quieted down.

“Jong-Suk-ah, here sit down,” his father smiled pointing at the seat next to him.

The table was full of both his and his sister’s favourite food and there was a strawberry cake in the middle. His mother pushed red candles into the cake and led a chorus of “Happy Birthday”. Jong Suk blew out the candles with his sister, and loud clapping echoed in the silent night. His father hugged him, and said happy birthday to him and then he turned to the other side and did the same to his sister. Jong Suk’s mother smiled and kissed him on the cheek then she took his face in her small hands and looked tearfully at him.

“My sweetheart… look how much you have grown,” her voice was breaking down and her hands were running all over his face as if she hadn’t seen her son since birth.

“There you go again! You are over reacting,” his father said, shaking his head as he took a sip of water from his glass. Tears started rolling down her face and both Jong Suk and Jin-Ah tried not to roll their eyes.

“He just turned eighteen woman!” His father finally snapped, shaking his head as he struggled to believe his wife was still behaving as melodramatically as ever.

“Aigoo…why on earth did I ever think about marrying you,” his slow voice managed to stop his mother’s over reaction. Then she gave him a stern look and turned to kiss Jin-Ah. Their presents were given as they enjoyed the strawberry cake.

After dinner Jong Suk excused himself for the night. He went into his bedroom, took a quick shower before flopping down on his bed and drifting into dream land. He could hear laughter coming from downstairs. His father was saying something and that was followed by his mother’s outburst of anger and his sister’s laughter. Jong Suk smiled at the ceiling; he was happy to have been born into such a happy family. His parents loved him and he loved them, he loved the peaceful atmosphere in his family and he loved the way his father calmly handled everything that came in their way. He wanted it to stay like that for a long time…a very very long time. He felt his eyes become heavy and mind drifting into a peaceful state…that was until his door creaked open and something hit him on the stomach. He opened his eyes to find a small box fallen on the bed.

“What is this?” he asked, looking at his sister who was standing at the door.

“Open it,” she said, and he did. There was a silver plated watch inside.

“Happy birthday,” she said and smiled.

“Oh…thanks, and you too, happy birthday,” he said, feeling bit guilty that he had forgotten to buy her something. “I’ll give your gift tomorrow,” he said quickly.

She clicked her tongue and shook her head. “You even forgot your own birthday,” she said carefully eyeing at the silver ring hanging on the chain around his neck. “What’s that? I haven’t seen that before.”

Jong Suk followed her eyes and his gaze landed on his chest; “Oh, this…” he held the ring in his hand and it gently. “It was my birthday gift,” he smiled.

“From who?”

“Woo Bin,” he said with a broad smile tugging at his lips. Jin-Ah let her crossed arms fall beside her, Jong Suk could swear he saw her eyes become red just before she swung around and walked out of the room, slamming the door behind her.

***