Your Eyes

That Familiar Smile on Your Eyes

Chapter 3 : Your Eyes

 

What happened to her?

Lee Jong Suk stared at the girl seated opposite to him. Some might notice the girl because she is pretty. Others because of her unusually long brunet hair. If the guys in the class were looking, they would see that the outline of her bra is clearly visible beneath her shirt. But Jong Suk’s eyes were riveted by something else: a thin veil of pain that covers her eyes. If he squints hard enough, he can just about make out few flecks of tears trembling in those eyes.

May be she had a quarrel with her friend…or perhaps lover. He thought slumping down on his seat. But his scrutiny hasn’t gone unnoticed and the girl turned to look at him. She gave him a faint smile and Jong Suk returned it automatically.

“Are you interested in her?” Kang Jo said coming behind him and wrapping her arm around his neck.

“That hurts! Let go!” he struggled.

He felt the grip loosen a little. She flopped onto Woo Bin’s empty seat, but her arm still stayed around his neck.

“Stay away from her,” she warned, nodding at the long haired girl who was now buried into a text book on her desk.

“Why?”

“Because she is dangerous.”

“What are you saying? Compared to you, she seems less harmful than an ant,” he said, half serious half joking.

“Jong Sukie…” she leaned close and looked him straight in the eye. So closely, he could see the brown flecks in among the hazel.

“I don’t want to see you hurt,” her voice was firm and certain. “So can’t you stop now?”

“W-What are you saying? Why would I get hurt because of her? Besides I’m not interest—”

“I’m not talking about her,” she cut him off. “I’m talking about the person who made you look like this,” she said, looking deep into his eyes again. He felt a shiver run down his spine; it was as if she could see through him. He felt exposed in front of her.

He managed to flash a momentary smile at her.

“W-What are you saying?”

“Jong Sukie…you make it too obvious…idiot,” she ruffled his hair. “If you don’t want to talk ab—”

“What are you doing in someone else’s seat?” Woo Bin’s irritated voice interrupted them.

“Sorry,” she said and flashed a smile at Jong Suk before returning to her friends.

“Is she you girlfriends?” the roughness in Woo Bin’s voice alerts him. “Are you two dating?”

“She is not my girlfriend, and no, we are not dating,” Jong Suk said before turning away from the tall boy and leaning on his desk, eyes closed.

***

Jong Suk slept though out the evening classes until the bell rang, announcing the end of the last lesson. There were extra classes until late night, but he never bothered to stay for any of them, because well…it just wasn’t his thing.

He was packing up when his twin sister came to the back door; Jong Suk pretended he didn’t see her and continued stacking the books into his bag. From the corner of his eyes, he caught a glimpse of her smiling and waving her hand at Woo Bin.

Woo Bin walked over to the door and said something to her. But the over excided crowds in the class prevented him from hearing any of it.

What are they saying? Jong Suk looked at the two uncertainly. He had a bad feeling that they were talking about him, because Woo Bin kept pointing his thumb backward over his shoulder and Jin-Ah kept glancing at him with an unhappy face.

Their whispers over crowded noises reminded him of the rustling and crumbling of dried ice. Jong Suk has always hated the sound. He fought the urge to clap his hands over his ears, not wanting to look like a weirdo. But he couldn’t stop the river of noises that flowed out of their mouths. It annoyed him when the rustling of those voices brought back the images of his sister and Woo Bin hugging in the playground.

The sound engulfed him, threatening to overwhelm him. Only one thing can make it go away.

Jong Suk jerked to his feet, but his shoelace got tangled with the chair leg and he pitched forward. His books fell to the floor with a crash. He grabbed the desk with both hands, barely managing to stay upright.

Dead silence. Everyone was staring at him. He could feel his face burning and glared at Woo Bin and Jin-Ah, who were mumbling.

“Jong Suk?” Woo Bin ran toward him immediately.

“Are you okay?”

He checked Jong Suk’s arms for any injury, but luckily there were none.

“Where did you want to go in such a hurry?” he asked, now picking up the scattered books. Everyone else was back in their small chit chatter. Most students were packing up and leaving the room as if nothing had happened. Jong Suk looked around, luckily Kang Jo had already left the class and he was thankful, otherwise she would until he felt like strangling himself to death. His blush deepened painfully. He was ashamed of his clumsiness.

“Where were you running off to?” Woo Bin asked again, handing Jong Suk the bag full of his books.

“Just…the bathroom…” aish!! He cursed inside his head when the pathetic excuse had already left his mouth. Why couldn’t I have come up with a different excuse? He thought when he saw Woo Bin trying to hold in a laugh.

“Okay..then finish your business first,” he said, soft chuckles escaping with his words. “I’ll wait for you, we can go home together.”

“Don’t wait. You can go ahead with Jin-Ah. I’ve some work to do in the library,” he said before leaving Woo Bin behind and running down the corridor. He didn’t need the toilet in the first place, so he walked passed it and headed toward the library.

He had no work to do either; just he didn’t want to be a third-wheel for those two and he wouldn’t be able to handle walking together with that couple.

No more than a handful of students sat at the tables, buried into the books opened in front of them; other than that, it was completely silent to the point even someone’s breathing could be heard very clearly. Jong Suk’s steps echoed as he walked past the reading area and headed toward the very end where there was no one except the stacks of books covered in dust. Hardly anyone reached that area, because it was all rusted books that had no meaning to the students. 

The stacks were dark; only a bit of sunlight escaping the ceiling high widows marked the form of the interior. He blinked rapidly, trying to adjust his eyes to the dim light. He walked down the small gap between the stacks and let his bag fall on the ground, behind one. Then he strolled down the shelves, randomly stopping at any book that caught his eye; he pulled out one thick book, covered in dust, and flipped a few pages. The dust flew into his lungs. He coughed. Covering his mouth, he slipped back the book where it belonged. It was pointless; he wasn’t going to read any of this and he certainly didn’t want to inhale any more dust. It will only make him cough and attract unwanted attention. He walked back to where his bag was and slumped on the floor, leaning his back against the cold metal of the book-shelf.

He was about to close his eyes when a hand approached from behind a shelf and gripped at his shoulder. He jolted.

“Did I scare you?” Woo Bin whispered, sitting next to Jong Suk.

“What are you doing here? I thought you went home with Jin-Ah” Jong Suk said, keeping his voice as low as he could.

“Why would I go home when you are still here?”

He flashed a smile and leaned his head on Jong Suk’s shoulder.

“W-What are you doing?”

“Shhh” Woo Bin shushed him with his index on Jong Suk’s lips. “You shouldn’t talk. This is the library.”

“Then don’t make me talk.”

“But…what work are you doing here?” Woo Bin asked when the silence seemed to stretch too long.

“Now who’s talking?” Jong Suk’s whisper tickled on Woo Bin’s face.

“Why didn’t you want to go home with us?” Woo Bin was asking again. He ignored the questions and closed his eyes, hoping to get some sleep. The sole reason he came to this library was to avoid this guy, but now he was here with him. What’s the point of this? Should I go home now? Then he remembered his sister’s face waiting at home…he didn’t want to go home. 

“Why have you been avoiding me lately?” Woo Bin was continuing his monologue. “Did I do something? What is it? Is it because I didn’t come to see you during the holidays much? I was busy with part-time work. I wanted some money to buy something. Look how hard I worked!” he said pointing at the blisters on his palms.

“It’s all your fault you bastard!” he snapped at Jong Suk.

“Why is it my fault? Did I tell you to work?” And you had time to visit Jin-Ah? He didn’t say that though. Instead he nudged Woo Bin’s head off his shoulder, forcing him to sit up.

“I wanted to buy a gift. That’s why I had to work day and night you idiot.”

Jong Suk felt his heart starting to race; a gift for Jin-Ah? The thought came inevitably when he remembered that their birthday was today. He had forgotten about it completely, he didn’t even give a birthday wish to his sister this morning. Well it wasn’t exactly their birthday yet—he looked at his wrist watch—it will be in another half an hour or so. A pang wrenched his heart. Who was he kidding; Woo Bin loved her so much that he would even work day and night during his holidays. He wanted to get out of this place. He feared that he couldn’t hold in his pain anymore.

He abruptly got up, but a big hand pulled him down. He lost his control and fell on Woo Bin.

Woo Bin smirked. “Oh…you are pinning me down?”

Jong Suk felt blood rush to his ears; he moved away and sat on the floor.

“I have to go,” he said, looking at the floor.

“Why? Can you please tell me why you are avoiding me?” Woo Bin took Jong Suk’s face in his hands and forced him to look at him.

“If it is because of the holidays, I told you I had to work to buy a gift.”

“I don’t care about what you did during your holidays. And I don’t care whether you bought a gift for Jin-Ah or not. And I’m not avoiding you. I just don’t want to be the—third-wheel,” Jong Suk’s voice broke at the last word.  He felt a tear tickle down his cheek. He didn’t want this…he didn’t want to cry in front of him. He tried to avoid the sharp eyes that looked right into his soul. He felt , as if Woo Bin could see all of his secrets; things he had wanted to hide so well.

“Hang on. What are you talking about? What third-wheel? And why would I buy a gift for Jin-Ah?”

Jong Suk blinked. Not sure what is happening any more. The face in front of him was bit blurred that he couldn’t really see clear.

“Aren’t you two dating?” he managed to ask.

“What?” Wo Bin let out a muffled laugh as he tried to hold it in with his palms. “Why did you think we were dating?”

“Well…I saw you two at the playground. You were hugging her” he mumbled, eyes on his shoe.

“Idiot,” Woo Bin held onto his chin and lifted his face up, their eyes were levelled. Jong Suk could see a glimpse of his own reflection gleam in those dark eyes.

His palms slid on Jong Suk’s cheeks and held them in a soft grip. The few centimetres between them closed in and the next thing Jong Suk felt was the warmth of Woo Bin’s lips pressed softly against his forehead…then his eye…then the tip of his nose…his cheek

“W—Woo Bin-ah…what are—”

Woo Bin pecked again, this time on his chin.

“W—Woo Bin…”

His lips trailed along Jong Suk’s jawline and paused at his lips, brushing against it lightly—and still that light touch sent shivers through his nerves, shivers that made his whole body tremble.

Woo Bin had kissed him before—on the cheeks, on the forehead, on the eye—he did that whenever he felt like teasing him, but he had never gone as far as to kiss him on the lips. Was it a mistake? Did Woo Bin’s lips touch his by an accident? Jong Suk wondered as his heart raced in its tracks.

“Woo Bin-ah…this—”

Woo Bin pecked his lips again… and again until Jong Suk had shut up. And he pressed softly; when Jong Suk stayed still, he started moving his lips gently; they glided over Jong Suk’s plush lips, then nibbled and at his bottom lip. He tasted sweet. A moan muffled between their lips and Jong Suk slid his arms around his neck, pulling him closer, following the motions he initiated on his lips, feeling them become wet and slippery. Jong Suk parted his lips, granting the permission Woo Bin had fought his mouth for. He could taste a hint of coffee when Woo Bin’s tongue explored every inch in his mouth—hot and slippery; his scent was sweet and strong and certain. Jong Suk took it into himself, breathing his breath, feeling what he felt. His knees clamped together when a shudder trembled his whole existent as Woo Bin bit on his lower lip. A soft moan escaped his lips.

Woo Bin leaned against the wall, pulling Jong Suk onto his lap. He grinned when Jong Suk’s moans whispered against his ears; he wanted to hear them more—he dragged his lips along those soft cheeks and his tongue traced the form of Jong Suk’s ear. He felt Jong Suk shudder against him, and that only encouraged him to nibble those blushing ears.

“W—Woo Bin-ah…I can’t…” Jong Suk managed to say before another moan escaped his mouth as he arched against Woo Bin’s chest.

“You can’t what…?” Woo Bin whispered into his ear, knowing how sensitive Jong Suk is there. Woo Bin brushed his lips on Jong Suk’s neck, softly nibbling and until it grew into a needy haste.

Jong Suk clutched onto his shoulders “Please…Woo Bin-ah…please…stop…I can’t hold my voice,” he begged. Their s were hard against one another and Jong Suk didn’t have the energy to push him away, his body was paralyzed under his touch.  

A loud bang echoed in the library and they both froze; their breaths held at once. They stared at each other, wide eyed. Their hearts were hammering on their chests and they worried even the sound of that thumping could be heard from the far end of the silent library. From the opposite end of the library, they heard someone’s low voice apologizing and that’s when they released the breaths they had been holding in.

“That was close,” Woo Bin sighed and he leaned on Jong Suk’s chest, his arms wrapped around the boy’s slender waist.

“That’s why I said to stop,” Jong Suk whispered, his arms still around Woo Bin’s neck. Jong Suk felt Woo Bin’s lips stretch on his chest as a smile spread across his face.

“Are you laughing?” he tried to sound angry, but couldn’t help from grinning when he heard the loud thumping of his own heart.

Woo Bin leaned back, looking up into his eyes; he could see the silver flecks in among the blue. His eyes are beautiful Woo Bin thought when that familiar smile in those eyes was once again glittering in them.

“Jong Sukie…” he whispered. “I…want you.”

His whisper sent a visible shudder through the boy and his cheeks turned red. Woo Bin chuckled quietly, looking at the wide eyes staring at him. He reached up and pecked Jong Suk’s swollen lips.

Woo Bin looked straight into those pale grey eyes, his smile was gone and his eyes were heavy with emotion, he felt a tear dance in his eyes when he formed the words; “Jong Sukie…” he said. “I love you.”

It was a whisper, but it was loud enough to stop Jong-Suk’s heart for a second, then it thumped again, like a runaway train.

“W-What?” Perhaps he had heard wrong; he wanted to confirm.

“Pabo, I said I love you,” he repeated. “The person I’m in love with is you. And this,” Woo Bin released his arms around Jong-Suk’s waist and rumbled through his pocket, then pulled out a small black box. He held it to Jong Suk, nudging his head, asking him to open it.

Two silver rings were slid into two beautiful but simple chains. The rings had letters JB craved into them. Tears pricked at Jong Suk from behind his eyes. He looked at Woo Bin; he was grinning like an idiot and Jong Suk returned the smile, tears rolling down his cheeks. Woo Bin wiped them away.

“I couldn’t come to you during the holidays, because I wanted to give this to you on your eighteenth birthday,” Woo Bin said, still grinning like an idiot, as if he had won the whole world. He looked at the wrist watch, 7:30pm.

“Happy Birth day Jong Sukie!” He smiled and kissed the boy.