Serendipity in Life

Embers of Hope

WARNING: This is not edited that much. I'm too lazy to read everything all over again. 

 


 

Yoona breathed a sigh of relief when she finally reached the rooftop of the hospital she is currently working at as a doctor. She sat on the floor and stared ahead. It's been long since she did this, doing nothing. She has always been busy with anything that comes. For her, life is all work and no play. She had learned to grow up like that but at first, she wasn't. A lot of things had changed her. 

One look at her life would give you perfection. Her family, her friends, her work, her brains, her physical appearance. She has everything a girl dreams of, except maybe a man of her dreams. 

What people don’t know though, is that she would die to be in anyone else's shoes except hers. Her life seemed perfect but what people can't see is the insecurities inside of her. 

She was a cheerful and contented girl before. She had always searched for every positivity in life and shares it with everyone. She lights up the mood whenever possible. One would always see her face with a smile plastered on it. However, that's all in the past now. Everything she was has changed. 

The cheerfulness and contentment had left her. The positivity in her life had turned into mere emptiness. Her mood had completely turned desolate. The smiles are replaced by a facade of itself. Where the once high-spirited girl stands, a dejected woman now appears.

What made her who she is now were the repeated criticisms, betrayals, griefs, lies and endless pain from people, not just people but the one whom she had trusted. Her family and her so-called friends.

Her family is an ideal one. They all love one another and communicate openly. It's true, or so for the rest of her family. She loves and respect them, yes. But somewhere along the way, she knew deep in her that it wasn't all that she needed. What use would it be if you love and respect your family but you hate and don't trust them at the same time? 

Her friends are in numerous number. She had the most number of friends you could imagine back in the days and even until now. Friends, for her now, are those people around you that you know and see often. Friendship has no deeper meaning for her. It's just as simple as any other word. She learned that the hard way.

Everything that had happened to her had made her put her walls up. It had created the mask she always wore and had led her to the rooftop that night. 

She's finally tired of everything that has happened. She wants to forget everything even for just a moment. 

She stared at the dark sky and felt the chilly midnight wind. She didn't mind the darkness and coldness, for she had already learned living in it.

"It's so warm tonight. The sky is as bright as ever." a voice spoke from behind, startling her.

She wondered what the guy is saying. She stared up ahead into the sky. There is not a star in sight, just the moon. It wasn't shining brightly though. She stared down at forlorn city of Seoul ahead of her. And if it wasn't for her fondness of dark and cold, she wouldn't be able to stand in that temperature fall.
 
She looked at the one who spoke. His face wore the brightest smile she had ever seen but it seemed familiar. 

Right then and there, it hit her. He reminds her of her old cheery self. She remembered that familiar smile and it gave her hope. She wanted to be the old her again.

If only she knew that one smile from a stranger would be the answer, it would've happened a long time ago. But then again, she didn't. Maybe, it was because everything comes at a perfect time and happens for a reason. Maybe, now is the time for a change.

She uttered a thank you to the guy. They are strangers to one another but somehow, they are comfortable with each other. The silence between them seemed to be secure. Not one of them speaks but it doesn't matter.

They stayed beside each other for what seemed like forever until both of them decides to go. 

What made Yoona comfortable with the guy was the fact that he reminded her of who she once was and maybe the fact that he saw right through her when even the closest to her can't. He never asked her anything but just the first sentence he said was enough for her to know. He just knew she needed it so he said it.

After that night, the pair always find themselves together at the rooftop in peaceful silence. Sometimes they talk, sometimes they just enjoy the silence.

One night after a few months, Yoona found herself alone. At first, she didn't mind. She knew the other still have other things to do besides being there. Also, they never agreed to meet there so it's only reasonable that he might not come there ever again. Although she’s telling this to herself, she can't help but wait and be disappointed for the next few nights.

She was ready to give up after a few weeks of waiting. She never went to the rooftop again. 

Ever since they first met, she had changed slowly. It's been more than a year of transformation already. It wasn't totally like before but she's getting there. At times, she reminisces the moments she and the guy had spent at the rooftop. 

She may not know the guy that much, but he certainly had been an important part of her life. The moment he spoke those words, she connected with him in a way that nobody ever could. 

That man, he gave her her life back. He made her realize that she can still live a joyous life despite the people that betrayed her. She will always and forever treasure that man whether she would see him again or not.

Today, she busied herself in searching for her previous patients in the numerous list of medical records. She would remember how she had seen the heavenly smiles of the families of those she cured or the tears of unspoken love and pain of those who died.

She could have asked her assistant to do it but she wanted to do it herself. Her pile was getting bigger and bigger when she's just in section C so she had decided it would be the last letter for the day. She took piles of C in her arms and segregated it. She was ready to go and visit memory lane when she dropped the piles of C. She picked up the folders carefully until one in particular caught her attention. 

One particular folder contained a CHO KYUHYUN. The name isn't familiar but the face definitely is. That smile, she would never forget that ever. Not even amnesia could make her not remember the smile. It was the smile the both of them had. The smile of pure bliss and happiness.

She’s not supposed to look at other patients’ records but curiosity got the best of her. However, the moment she looked at it, she regretted it almost immediately.

7:03am - Reported to be a part of a strong vehicle collision an hour ago. Effects are still unknown.

1:15pm - Reported to be in deep unconsciousness with no signs of waking due to a traumatic accident which may or may not have caused severe brain damage. Proven by a number of physical examinations.

Yoona's breath hitched in . She couldn't believe what she's reading. The first report was dated 13 months ago. Back when they first met. She was sure she's been with him ever since. It was either a ghost she was with or the reports were false. 

She looked at the doctor's name, Kim Jaejoong. It's impossible to be false. He is by far one of the most respectable doctors in the hospital.

She tried to continue reading. The next reports were dated the following days and months after the first.

No signs of recovery from comatose.

It was all that's written repeatedly on the pieces of paper she's holding. Suddenly all the hope she had of a better life had gone crashing down. Even the pieces of paper had been telling her to just give up the desire of changing. 

Tears had now formed in her eyes. Before she could finish looking at every report, she held on to the only shred of hope left. His room number, 207. She dashed to the room immediately.

She opened the room in hopes that she would find someone she's been yearning to see. She hadn't admitted it until now but she missed the guy a whole lot. Whether a ghost, an alien, a wizard, a vampire or whatever he is, she needed to see him. She knew that just the mere sight of him would comfort her but she also knew it's impossible. She knew he’s not there and she’s right. When she opened the door to the room, she just had to close it because there’s already another patient inside. 

She climbed up the staircases of the hospital until she reached the rooftop. Just like what she did 13 months ago, she sighed but not in relief of being out in the open. The sigh she let out was one of hopelessness. Unlike 13 months ago, it was a very sunny afternoon but what she's feeling was the coldness and darkness back then.

"Why did you leave so fast?" she asked to no one in particular. 

"Come to think of it, you were never really here. I don't know how in the world I saw you but you were never real. I'm here for the last time because this would be the last time I would be thinking about you. Goodbye Cho Kyuhyun." She turned around after speaking, as if leaving all the memories together with the view of Seoul.

"Excuse me, but did you just call me?" a voice said the moment she turned around. 

Yoona was beyond surprised and ecstatic. Without thinking, she threw her arms onto the newcomer. The latter, however, got confused with her actions. When she noticed this, she turned slightly red in embarassment.

"I'm sorry. I-i thought you're someone I know." she said with her head hung low.

"Don't make excuses. I get that everytime." he joked. 

Yoona could only smile in response. She wasn't absorbing what the other said. She had a lot of questions but she could only be delighted at the moment. She had seen her hope again.

"You look quite familiar though. Have we met before?" Kyuhyun asked. Yoona looked up at him. 

"Were you in a coma?"

"Yeah. I just woke up a few days ago. Something's been pulling me here ever since. I don't know why. Anyway, why are you here?"

"Do you remember me?"

"I really don't know. I feel like I've known you for a long time." he said while thinking deeply. "Ooh, I remember. It was in my dreams."

Yoona smiled at him. "Yeah, probably."

They stood together side by side at the rooftop. They stared at the view of Seoul and into the unforetold future. They may not know what’s in store for them but they’ve had an unspoken agreement that they will face everything side by side no matter what.
 


A/N: Because of the immediate increase of the number of subscribers, I have decided that I'll update this today. If ever my Literature teacher will see this, I'll just explain that this is my account so as not to be accused of plagiarism.

I hope I have satisfied y'all. I hope I had justified the plot you're all interested in. If there's anything you don't understand, feel free to ask.

As I had mentioned, this was supposed to be a comic strip but excuse the lack of conversation because for me, the comfortable silence they have had in the story is much more better than a thousand words of comforts and I love yous. Those words could easily be uttered without meaning it. However, comfortable silence could only be achieved if two people really suit each other, whether as friends or as lovers. 

There will be no sequel or whatsover. It's just a one-shot. Some stories are better left uncontinued on account of the mystery of having no finale.

On the other hand, if you want more of my writing, just click this. Though I have to say that as of the moment, this had been the best plot.

If you just want more of my writing about Kyuna, subscribe to Buried Sentiments. I am not saying Kyuhyun and Yoona will end up with each other in the fic. It's for you to find out later on. Nevertheless, Kyuna moments will surely be present. 

Thank you! I hope this wouldn't be the end of our companionship. I hope I'll be encountering you guys more in the future. Spread the Kyuna love, the Super Junior love, the SNSD love and the SM Town love. Have a good life! :D