Chapter 12. Phone Truths

The Lion's Pride

After being buzzed into the building Rain felt his temper rising with each step he took.

Finally standing in front of their door he knocked and waited for them to open it.

Hyuk opened it and smiled, “Sunbae.” He exclaimed in delight.

Rain nodded and greeted him. “Is Hakyeon here?”

Nodding Hyuk let him in. “Hyung” he called toward one of the bedrooms.

Whistling N strolled out of the bedroom. “Hello Sunbae! What brings you here?”

He stepped back in surprise at the anger on Rain’s face. “Have I done something wrong?”

“Perhaps you should keep appointments with someone rather than stand them up.”

The confusion on N’s face had Rain staring at him hard.

“What appointment?”

“I messaged you the other day and asked you to meet me earlier today. You agreed and yet never showed.”

“Sunbae… I never… I would never do that. Wait…you said you messaged me?”

At Rain’s curt nod N raised his hands in front of him. “Hyung our phones were taken three weeks ago.”

“Taken?”
“Someone one stole them when we were at Inkigayo. We got off stage after performing and they had all vanished.”

Rain frowned. “I haven’t heard anything about this.”

 

Sighing N sat down heavily. “Our company alerted the police and they are conducting an investigation. It seems sasaeng fans are becoming bolder. We are not the first to have our phones stolen. There are several others who have had theirs stolen also recently.”

“Noona?” a quiet voice asked from the doorway.

Rain looked up to see Taekwoon standing there. His solemn gaze pierced Rain and he noticed gauntness around the boy’s face, as though he had been very ill recently.

“You are not well?”

Shrugging it off the boy asked again about Melody.

“She is distraught she has not heard from you in weeks, they all are.”

The two younger men looked at each other confused.

“Sunbae… we sent a message to your company the day after the thief so the girls would know and have our new contact numbers.”

Rain felt a trickle of unease at the truth behind their words.

“Is…is this why we have not heard from them? I sent another message the other day.”

N turned to look at Taekwoon in surprise. He had not known.

“Sunbae…please be truthful. Has noona forgotten me and moved on with Eunkwang-ah. I…I have seen the pictures.” The quiet despair in his voice made Rain take a harder look on him and he realized the boy was suffering as much as Melody was.

“She and Eunkwang-ah are close but no, she still waits every day to hear from you.”

 

A look of relief passed across Taekwoon’s face and looking closer Rain saw a faint sheen of tears.

in a deep breath he could not stop the words from crossing his lips.

“What have you two done to each other?”

The corner of Taekwoon’s lip lifted. “We love each other. Sunbae, Hakyeon-ah… please excuse me. I need to leave.”

N sat there with his mouth open, “where are you going?”

“I’m going to noona. Something I should have done the moment the phones were taken.”

“I’m going with him.” A rough voice growled as Ravi came around the corner pulling a snapback low.

A look passed between Ravi and Taekwoon, before with the barest of nods Taekwoon agreed.

Rain looked towards the bedroom clearly expecting the others to follow but the door did not open.

“They are at the studio.” N said watching the door close behind his friends.

“Who?” Rain asked.

“Ken and Hongbin-ah.”

 

Rain looked at him in surprise, before a ringing phone broke the silence.

Startled he pulled the phone the girl dropped from his pocket.

“That phone…” N said staring at it.

“Hyung! You found my phone?” Hyuk yelled as he raced into the room to stop confused at the phone in Rain’s hand.

Handing the phone to the younger boy he watched as he became excited when he realized it was indeed his missing phone.

“Sunbae?” N asked.

“I picked it up earlier where I was supposed to meet you. A girl had bumped into me and dropped all these phones…”

Rain’s voice trailed off as he realized what had happened.

“Put the phone down.” He barked at Hyuk who almost dropped it, startled by the harsh tone.

“N, call your manager and tell him I can describe the thief and that we might have her prints on that phone so we need to contact the police.”

Nodding N went to grab his new cell phone and make the call.

Staring at the phone Rain frowned thoughtfully. Why would the girl risk it?...