What is the Meaning of Love?

What is the Meaning of Love?

Youngjae looked up at the sky as his earphones played that EXO song ‘What is Love’. That song always performed on the radio at that time, well, the radio station he listened to. He never really got the meaning of the song as he walked into his work place, the co-workers greeting him with much pleasure. Never in his life have he found love, which, Youngjae never had a lover. To him, it was just like a waste of time. All needed to do is work and support his family that was all.  But something inside him wanted to experience this emotion called love. He was quite curious. After all, everyone seemed to be in love, why shouldn't’t he also be in a relationship? Yoo Youngjae was charming and cute, what often people would say about him, also his personality was sweet, like a mother’s. He had perfectly tidy brown hair, his rows of teeth glistening whenever the sun light had washed over it, and a perfect hue of brown that made up his eyes. But sadly, not much people approach him. “Mom, I don’t think people like me that much,” Youngjae sighed on the phone as his mother gasped.

“I can’t see why not? You are a wonderful son.” He sighed once again, thanking his parent for listening to him before hanging up. Youngjae slapped his cheeks, getting ready to serve the customers at the restaurant. The place was a bit busy as he kept getting called everywhere but at one point, he slipped and crashed onto the floor, a glass of water falling on someone. Mortified about what he had done, Youngjae looked up at the customer and his heart had tightened from the fear. The glass cup had already shattered onto the floor, but the water was deeply soaked into the other person’s shirt as he tried to speak but nothing came out.

“You…” the customer growled, but a smirk was placed on his face. Youngjae wanted to apologize, he had to, and it was his fault in the first place. The manager was already gazing at the scene, noticing that one of the co-workers had tripped him, causing this mess.

“I-I-I’m so sorry, please forgive me. I accidently tripped and…and,” the words sounding like a blur to Youngjae’s ear, the stranger chuckling under his breath. The place became silent as the man grabbed his arm roughly, heading outside, ignoring any complaints or shouts. “P-Please let me go. I have to get back to work.”

“Working is not your concern anymore. You have to repay me for dumping water on my designer outfit,” the man grumbled, throwing him inside a luxurious sports car. Youngjae started to panic inside, hesitating to put on the seat belt even though he knew he was getting kidnapped. This was the first time he had ever gotten himself in this mess, really, in a mess with a rich person.

“Umm…I’will pay for dry cleanings…so can you let me go-”

“That’s impossible, you are mine.” Those were the words that Youngjae has dreaded his entire life. He never wanted to hear such a line being said, or rather, being produced in someone’s mind. This man, this aristocrat was someone that the other didn’t like, not hate, but really dislike. “You’have gotten quite. I wonder why?”

“You should know why. I have been taken away by someone I barely even know,” Youngjae grumbled, blowing a puff of air to levitate a few strains of his hair in front of his face. The stranger gave out a look of sympathy as he chuckled to himself in a satisfied tone, fingers happily tapping the stirring wheel.

“My name is Jung Daehyun and you are?” the sly wealthy man answered and replied, making the other give out a moan of dissatisfaction.

“Yoo Youngjae. Where are you taking me anyway?” Of course that was a stupid question to ask but he just had to know, he needed to know. Will he return to work the next day? Or will this rich-bastard keep him just to be entertained? Youngjae just sighed, which he noted that he was doing a lot, and snuggled deeper into the comfortable seat, letting sleep take hold of him. He has, in fact, been staying up just to make a couple of extra money for future finances. But, that didn’t seem to matter to him anymore since he was probably going to lose all of his jobs because of this stupid person named Daehyun.


The man named Jung Daehyun was the son of a very successful businessman and his mother, who had come from a poor family. Since of his birth, many people thought he would end up being a high-school drop-out just like his mother, but he rather thought of himself more like his father. All his life, Daehyun has been studying, having opportunities to benefit his future, but something he always wanted in his whole life was to meet that special someone. No luck.  But now, an event has occurred in his life by water getting splashed onto his clothes that was bought at a local store. “Yoo Youngjae huh? Maybe you’will be the key to my future,” the words coming out like fire, burning the very lips that it came from. They have arrived at his penthouse, his arms placing the other’s body onto the leather couch, the material a midnight black color.

“Got a new toy?” a voice taunted out, Daehyun’s eyes snapping towards that staircase. His gaze came up to his adoptive brother, Choi Junhong, that cheeky grin that he hated so much coming to view.

“Wipe that smirk off your face or I’ll slap it off for you.” Junhong laughed to himself, walking down the stairs with elegance, flicking his smooth blue hair, which he had recently dyed, out of his face.

“Feisty as always big brother. I was just wondering why a beauty is sleeping on the couch, that’s all. Don’t need to get worked up on someone that you’re just going to throw away.” Daehyun clicked his tongue as his brother stepped out from the room, that annoying laughter echoing. That’s when he heard a small noise, Youngjae opening his eyes. One glance at the room, the other was already tightly pressed against the couch, his body in a defensive stance.

“W-Where am I?” Daehyun just stared at him for a brief moment before looking away, lips curving into a smirk, fingers tapping against his knee. He knew he was a bit older than the person in front of him, a snicker coming from his mouth.

“You’re in my penthouse that consists of me and my brother, who comes here rarely. It wasn't't’t my decision to have my brother living with me, it was my mother’s as both of my parents are busy people. Now that you are under my care, my roof, I expect you to address me as your master,” that description making Daehyun chuckle after his little speech. But Youngjae wasn't’t convinced that this person kept him for that reason to have someone call him master, there has to be something else.

“Why are you even keeping me? Tell me Jung Daehyun.” A finger stood in his face, swaying from side to side, getting the other annoyed from that simple movement.

“You didn’t let me finish. I want you to teach me how to love,” those words made the younger burst into laughter, holding his painful stomach, making the higher presence get embarrassed from his speech. “I-I-It’s not funny!”

“Yes it is. Why don’t you know who to love? Shouldn't’t everybody know how?” Youngjae giggled to himself, glancing up at the noble, absorbing the other’s image. Daehyun’s hair was a bit darker than his light brown hair as he seemed to be attractive enough to have girls crawling all over him, but like every rich person, they weren't’t satisfied with whatever was bothering them. “Why kidnap me when you can also go to a match maker?”

“I don’t trust that much people. When I looked at you, I knew that you were loyal and honest.” Youngjae questioned if he should take that as a complement or just think that it was creepy that someone could be spot on about that information. He knew that the person in front of him was someone that was capable of doing things, terrible or great, and him being here was probably bad luck. “By the way, I’m older,” that sneaky grin appearing once again as it made the younger tremble.


It’s been a few weeks since Youngjae started to live in the luxurious penthouse as he had to call everyone he knew what had happened to him so that he wouldn't’t see a missing person poster of his face all over the news or even in the streets. But, during all those days, he had been teaching the older how to approach a cute girl and start a conversation without bragging on how great he was.

“When a girl asks if she looks alright but has an ugly outfit on, what do you say?”

“That outfit is hideous, change into something that is decent?”

“Wrong! You have to say it gently. For example, I don’t think the outfit matches you or your personality. That is how I would confront her.” Daehyun clapped his hands like an entertained student and he often took notes. Youngjae felt proud for some odd reason, noticing the younger brother leaning on the door frame, snickering to himself.

“Jaejae come here.” He didn’t like that little nickname that Junhong had made up and would use whenever he wanted attention from him. Youngjae stood up from his stop and walked over to the other, looking very un-amused. “What are you guys doing?”

“That is not your concern,” Daehyun snapped, pulling Youngjae deeper into the room, closing the door as his arms were tightly pressed on the other below him. The room was in complete silence as none of them spoke, the sound of the wind filling the atmosphere. They stayed like, their bodies against each other, Youngjae biting his lips as he felt this warmness in his cheeks. Daehyun would never tell the younger that he felt that strong heartbeat pulse from within his palms that were on the other’s chest, his own heart beating the same rhythm.

“Want to put your skills to the test?” the younger questioned, escaping from the addicting embrace, a faint smile was forming on his face. The older gave out a deep sigh, grabbing his jacket to follow his teacher into the outside world. Youngjae was walking alongside his ‘student’, their shoulders close enough to bump into each other occasionally. It was pretty weird how he didn’t mind being with Daehyun even though it seemed wrong. He didn’t belong in this wonderful world with the child of a noble, a child who had everything from the time he was born. Youngjae knew that, yet why didn’t he escape when he had the chance? Daehyun wasn't’t the type that would chase after him.

“Youngjae where exactly are we going?” The voice of Daehyun made the other startled a bit, his eyes quickly scanning the area, finding the place that he was looking for. It was a club, filled with music and full of ladies waiting for a prince to come through the doors. This was the perfect place to test his hyung’s skills.

“The club. I suppose you went to one before right?” The older nodded his head, going pass the bouncer without trouble, the lights, sound and bodies filling his sight. To be honest, Daehyun was just lying. All he ever went to was a fancy party with a lot of rich people. This was the first time he ever went to this place called a club as he heard a lot of things happen inside these walls. But he saw a bunch of beautiful women around the bar area as he made his way, ordering some vodka, the scent hitting his senses hard. One girl was staring at him with this look in her eyes as she inches closer while swaying her well-curved figure.

“Are you here alone?” she asked, her voice making Daehyun stutter a bit. To him, she was repulsing with that heavy make-up and showing all that cleavage, which made her look like a e. But, he remembered what Youngjae had taught him and started to make a conversation that would make her fall in love with him.


The music was blaring in his ears as Youngjae looked from afar at what his hyung was doing, his chest tightening just from staring. He didn’t understand this pain but decided to deal with it. Making his way towards an empty table, Youngjae relaxed as he leaned his head back with his eyes closed. “Jaejae?” The younger’s eyes fluttered open, Junhong standing right in front of his field of vision, holding two bottles of the cheapest beer. “What are you doing here?”

“What does it look like? I’m finally taking a break from your brother.”

“He can be a handful sometimes, but I would have never expected you to drink,” Junhong giggled to himself, taking the seat next to the other, handing over one of the bottles.

“I normally don’t but your brother wanted to find a mate and now he has one probably,” the words that Youngjae spoke making his lips turn into a pout as he began to chug down the alcohol. The taste stung his tongue as the intense liquid was already making his head dizzy, his tolerance very low. That’s when his eyes snapped back at Daehyun, his stomach clenching up once he spotted him kissing the girl he was talking to. Setting the bottle down, Youngjae excused himself to the restroom as he puked into one of the toilets, that sickening feeling still lingering throughout his body. He didn’t know why he was feeling this way, but it was making his head hurt with this certain ache. Junhong rushed inside, patting the other’s back, helping him to wash his mouth. “You didn’t even finish the bottle and you’re already puking.”

“Shut up, you don’t understand.”

“I know why you’re feeling this way, it’s very obvious.” The brother knew what was happening between the two, but though that saying it would make both of them in denial. Suddenly, he felt the other’s lips press against his, hands grasping his sweater, their mouths parting before connecting again. Youngjae knew what he was doing but he didn’t feel like stopping his actions that he would regret later on. Was it the beer that was making him act his way? Or was it because he wanted to lessen this throbbing pain inside him?

“Don’t tell this to Daehyun…don’t ever tell this to him,” Youngjae sniffled, stuffing his face into the younger’s chest, sobbing quietly as they sunk to the tile floor. Junhong was the other’s hair, his other hand comforting the one before him. That night, Daehyun noticed something wrong, something trying to tell him something but ignored it as he was desperately searching for Youngjae.


The upcoming week, Junhong never spoke a word about the kiss, his lips shut close as he was acting completely weird because he was always talkative and loud. Daehyun found that suspicious as he never talked about the girl he met at the bar to the younger, thinking that it would make things awkward, but he knew the other wanted to hear about it. The truth was, he didn’t like her, nor remembered her name, which probably made him seem like a jerk. Women today didn’t appeal to him, he didn’t know why. “Are you listening to me?” Daehyun snapped his attention to the younger calling out to him, their faces close to each other’s.

“Ah- what were you saying again?”

“Honestly, you have been spacing off lately,” Youngjae breathed, turning up the radio as this song echoed into the room. It was that EXO song that the younger didn’t understand very much as Daehyun let the vocals sink into his ears. The lyrics were impressive as Daehyun knew that Youngjae was testing him on what this song meant.

“Isn’t it talking about what love lets you think. The guy is lucky to have this girl and this girl causes him to pretty much think about her a lot that is loses their mind,” the older explaining, Youngjae listening deeply as the song started to make much more sense. “It’s a nice song…I guess.”

“Does it make you think about that girl?” The question could have never been avoided, the room drowning in silence. Daehyun leaned back on his chair, rubbing his forehead as he tried to decide how to answer a question like that. The look in the younger’s eyes were killing him inside, the look of agony making him grin his teeth together.

“Yeah, what were you doing?” his snapped, making Youngjae flinch.

“I should probably go now.” Daehyun stood up, chasing after the other as they were in the living room before he grabbed onto the younger’s arm, tightening it, the sound of a slight groan making guilt build in his stomach. Junhong came bursting into the room, trying hard to break the two up, but it was no use as the older pulled Youngjae closer to him.

“You two are acting weird. Did something happen between you two?” The younger opened his mouth to say something, no words coming out as tears streamed down his cheeks, the pain returning once again. The memories, the emotion, the night, the kiss, all these things made Youngjae sink to the floor, fingers gripping the carpet. He wanted to forget, anything to make the memory vanish from his very mind. It was a big regret, one of the biggest mistakes in his life, the first, meeting Jung Daehyun.

“Let him go brother, then I will tell you what happened between us,” a serious tone in Junhong’s voice as the older loosened his grip, watching as the younger backed away from him. “The night you guys when to the club, I was there also. When Youngjae saw you with that…whatever she is…he started to do anything to ease the pain in his heart.”

“Pain? What pain? Is there an illness in Youngjae?”

“That’s not it! The pain in his heart is love, he’s in love with you, and I know that. Not only did he cry in my arms, we…kissed.” Youngjae escaped from the room, refusing to hear anymore. He wasn't’t in love with Daehyun, it was impossible to fall for a man like him who is mean, demanding and….and completely sweet and caring. Daehyun was handsome, adorable and the one that Youngjae thought about most of the time. But what was that information going to do? His hyung already had a girlfriend and plus, he kissed his brother as things wouldn't’t go well at this rate. He ran into an open elevator, closing the door as he wanted to get out of this place as soon as possible.


Daehyun looked at the opened door then back at his brother, clenching his fists until his nails were digging into his palms. Junhong just looked somewhere else, trying hard not to have eye-contact with the person in front of him. “You guys kissed huh?”

“It wasn't’t real…but I wanted it to be.” That sentence was all it took to have Junhong slammed down onto the floor by the older currently above him.

“What was that supposed to mean?”

“It means I like Youngjae also. Admit it! You love him too?” Daehyun blinked a couple of times before really thinking about his actions. The first time he glanced at the younger, he needed to get his attention for those kind eyes to belong to his gaze only. The days they spent with each other had made him happy and laughing yet again after how many years of studying and misery. Yoo Youngjae had made his life brighten up.

“I-I do love him…but…I…”

“Then what are you waiting for? He needs you,” Junhong’s lips trembling as he tried to choke back his wavering voice, watched his older broth storm out the penthouse. His cheeks were getting soaked with that salty water, his hands desperately trying to wipe them away. Choi Junhong had liked Youngjae since Daehyun had brought him over. That kiss was the most magical thing that ever happened on his life. But at least both of them would be happy together, his hands grabbing his packed bags in his room and left the house to search for his own life. “Goodbye my dear brother.”


Youngjae dipped his hands into the freezing water in the fountain, staring at how it ripped underneath his fingertips. He was quite amused as he wiped his sore eyes. Touching his lips, he rubbing it over and over again, attempting to wipe of the feeling of Junhong’s own on his. It was no use as he dropped his head, running his fingers through his hair. He couldn't’t explain what he felt, losing his mind and everything getting in slow motion. His mouth let out a brief sigh before lifting his head to see the clouds darkening fast. Before he knew it, the rain had started to pour down, the droplets splashing against his face. Rushing towards any sort of shelter, he found himself under a leaky tree, his body jolting up every time the thunder roared and flashed. He was scared of the sound that he would often curl up with his pillow or something to get hold onto. “Youngjae!” His head perked up at the sound of his name being shouted out, Daehyun running towards his direction, those warm arms wrapping around his trembling body frame.

“What are you doing here?” he asked through chattering teeth, a jacket draping over his shoulders.

“Youngjae-ah, what is the meaning of love?”

“Love is something that isn’t obtained with money, love is something that comes from the heart. The heart is often the symbol of love and…love can be between to people.”

“I love you Youngjae,” Daehyun breathed, capturing those lips, the feeling different from the times he kissed other people. A kiss shared between two people who adored each other deeply was special. The younger grasped onto the back of his coat, deepening the kiss as the water from their drenched hair dripped onto their faces. “Do you get the song ‘What is love’ now?”

“Do you know how to love someone?” The older nodded his head, snuggling close to the person who shared his emotions.


Youngjae awoken from the sounds of the birds chirping, the spot next to him empty but still warm as he touched the wrinkled sheets, secretly inhaling the scent that still lingered. The bathroom door opened, Daehyun being revealed, his smile making the younger’s face flush, cramming his head into the soft pillows. But the next line that had come out from the older’s mouth had made him look up, mouth slightly ajar. “Junhong left…he went somewhere without telling anyone.”

 

“Daehyun…you know he’ll come back soon. You know that.”

“But what if he doesn't’t? Next thing I know, police are going to find his body in a ditch somewhere.”  Youngjae went up, holding the other close to him, comforting as best he could. Both of them knew that Junhong wouldn't’t be stupid and kill himself, even if he was heartbroken, it wasn't’t like him.

“He’ll be fine Daehyun. All you have to worry about is your job and other things,” the younger breathed, flashing his lover a grin before their lips locked together, their hearts beating together in harmony. Daehyun held onto his boyfriend’s hand, fingers entangling in seconds, Youngjae leading them both into the kitchen.

“Guess what Dae?”

“What?” the older had giggled softly at the adorable side of the other.

“I told my mom about you and she likes you.”

“I see, I guess I have to tell my parent about you also right?”

“Yup, it’s only fair.”

“What am I going to do with you?” Youngjae thought about it and laughed as he started to clap his hands together. Daehyun raised an eyebrow as he tried to think about what his lover was doing.

“Choco ice cream. Choco ice cream. I say ‘Choco’ you say ‘ice cream’. Choco…"

“Shut up,” he playfully said, watching the other’s reaction to his reply.

“Choco…”

“Shut up.”

“I say ‘vanilla’ you say ‘ice cream’. Vanilla…”

“Shut up.”

“Vanilla…”

“Youngjae’s an idiot.”

“Yeah, I’m your idiot,” Youngjae smiled, wrapping his arms around his hyung’s shoulders, tiptoeing to match his boyfriend’s height. He kissed Daehyun on the lips and swayed their bodies together. “But, I really do want ice cream.”