Falling

Scratching Surfaces
Helplessly, Myungsoo watches her. 
    
Bitterly, she smiles back in return.
 
Time seems to slow down as their eyes lock on each others’. 
 
The breeze gently whips her lush, sun-kissed hair back and forth, slightly tangling it in the process. The bleak silence is only broken when the beautiful girl stumbles on the edge of the skyscraper, scuffing her shoes on the concrete. The noise was followed by a strangled cry from Myungsoo’s lips. 
 
His eyes are almost as wide as his gaping mouth. Beads of sweat leaks down the male’s temple, and he struggles to breathe properly. 
 
“Please,” he whimpers, “Please don’t do this.”
 
But the female says nothing. Her smile only widens. She’s enjoying his pain. 
 
Myungsoo looks at her desperately, trying to imprint the image of her into his brain. He was fully aware that this would be the last time he’d see her. 
 
She looks stunning today. Her makeup is flawless; her lips are painted a lavish red, and her hair, curled to perfection. It’s almost as if she’d dress herself up to die a beautiful death, though ironically, there was nothing beautiful about jumping off of a building. Myungsoo’s eyes travel down to her hands which unfurl and reach towards him. He blinks in bewilderment.
 
“Help me.” She whispers, her voice as delicate as the beating of a butterfly’s wings.
 
Wave upon wave of nausea and relief washes over Myungsoo. He steps over to where she stands, balancing precariously on the edge of life and death. The male holds up his hand to take hers.
 
But cruelly--cruelly, she draws back just out of reach and tips backwards.
 
“No!” Myungsoo shouts, his voice cracking, crumbling, shattering, just like the sound of his heart. He frantically scrambles to catch a hold of her but it’s no use.
 
She’s falling now. Falling back into the open air. Falling, falling, falling.
 
Falling like the tears on Myungsoo’s face.
 
And then she was gone. 
 
Just like that.

Picture taken from writeworld.