Nostalgia

Scratching Surfaces

(Written in the POV of Sunggyu)

As children, we live with the mentality that life would be beyond amazing by the time we grow up. But when we finally do, we long for our youth. For the innocent days spent under blue sky, grinning until our mouths hurt.

Childhood is and was such a fragile thing, slipping through our fingers like sand we can never pick up again.

I don’t remember mines as clearly as I should even though those were the happiest days of my entire life. I never learned to cherish them until now. When I try to recall those memories, I see flashes of railroad tracks in a tunnel flanked by lush trees, and my best friend with her buoyant white grin and childish pigtails. We used to ride our bikes on those tracks together, learning the bumps and ridges and befriending them. Our names, which had been carved by a small kitchen knife I had stolen from my mother one afternoon, is still visible on the inside walls of that tunnel.

The place hasn’t changed at all. I would know, since I still visit it on the days when nostalgia crashes down on me like a giant wave. It’s like someone had put a spell on it; frozen it in time. 

Perhaps that’s one of the reasons why I can’t forget about it though she probably has. You see, my best friend and I grew apart when she decided to trade her pigtails for makeup. I soon became known as “just a boy she knew as a kid.” She stopped visiting the tunnel—our tunnel. She stopped talking to me. Stopped caring. 

And stupidly, I let her. I deluded myself. I believed that one day, she would realize that I was still waiting for her, but that “one day” never came.

I wonder if she’s happy. I wonder if she even remembers, or if she even thinks of me anymore. 

Because there hasn’t been a single day where her smiling face didn’t cross my mind.


Picture taken form writeworld.