The Last Rose

The Last Rose

The sound of sirens ringing throughout the street of Seoul that night. Two ambulance drove quickly, trying to reach the hospital as soon as possible. The medical team in each ambulance was trying very hard to stabilize the two person that lying on the stretcher because of the car crash earlier. As soon as they reach the hospital, the medical team quickly brought them to the emergency room, where the doctor is ready to take an action for each patient.

“How is his condition” the head doctor ask the medical team who is in charge to one of the patient.

 “There’s a big gash on his head, he has a broken leg and a lot of glass shards all around his body. One of them is stuck near his heart, it’s bleeding badly. He lose too much blood”

“Prepare the operation room. He need an operation now and Dr. Park, do the chest X-Ray image. We need to know how deep the wound is before we do the operation. Move him to the operation room” the medical team nodded their head and quickly push the stretcher to the operation room. The head doctor following behind them with his staff, updating them about their patient condition.

The operation that night is a tricky one. What the medical team said is not completely right. Yes, the result said that there is a big glass shard is stuck near his heart but it was deep enough to make a little hole in that patient heart and it was the one who make him bleeding badly. The hole from that glass shard is making the blood to come out from its system.

“I already stabilize the blood pressure. You can do the operation now”

 

***

 

Lee Sungjin just arrived from his school when he know about his brother car crash. He quickly contact his parents and go to the hospital. When he arrived, he see that his parents is just arrived there. “Mom! Dad!” he called, hoping to gain their attention and sure it is, his parents turn their head and he quickly approach them. “How is hyung?”

“We still don’t know, we just arrived here” Mr. Lee said, his right hand was supporting his wife body who slump weakly on his hold. Tears were falling freely from her eyes since the time she know about the car crash.

The three of them quickly walk in to the hospital, asking the receptionist about the victim of the car crash, “He’s on the operating room” she said. After knowing where the operation room is, they quickly headed there.

The hall is very quiet, there was just the three of them sitting anxiously on the waiting chair. The light is still red, signaling that the operation is still running.

An hour.

Two hour.

They didn’t know how much time they spend in that quiet hallway but the doctor still hasn’t come out at all. Mr. Lee start to pacing back and forth in front of the door since hours ago. Sometime he try to peek on the said door but he couldn’t see anything.

Not at all.

Mrs. Lee didn’t do any better. Tears keep falling from her eyes and Sungjin did the best to calm her. Tell her that his brother could get through this, that he’ll survive and he’ll come alive from that operation room.

Finally, after feels like forever, the doctor come out. He look tired but they could see a faint smile plastered on his face. With a high hope, Mr. Lee quickly ask for his son condition.

“There’s a glass shard that stuck right next to his heart, it’s quite deep so it scratch his heart and make a little hole but we manage to close that hole and stop the bleeding” the Lee family let out a relief sigh when they hear it, Mrs. Lee was thanking to God that the operation is a success, “But, even though that we manage to fix that problem. There’s a big gash on the back of patient head, I’m assuming that it happens when the car was upside down and his head hit something really hard. It can be a problematic problem because we couldn’t know what happened right away, we has to run some test to know about it. But right now, we already stabilize his condition but we have to put him in an ICU in order to monitor his condition. This 24 hour will be his critical moment, whether he’ll survive or not” after the Lee family thank him, the doctor bow his body and walk back into the operation room.

Two days has passed since the accident. Lee Sungmin could overcome his critical moment and survive. But, he still hasn’t woke up since that day. The doctor said that it was due the head trauma that he fall into comatose state.

“Comatose state didn’t mean that he will die. It was a state when he was trapped on his unconscious mind and couldn’t wake up. He could hear you if you talk to him. So, it will be better if you continue to talk to him everyday because it will stimulate his recovery”

 

***

 

Cho Kyuhyun walk into that quiet room. He could hear the beeping machine as soon as he open the door earlier, a machine that tell him that his lover is still alive. He walk further in the room, his gaze focus on his lover who was lying weakly on that hospital bed. Holding tightly on his right hand is a red rose. His and his lover favorite flower.

“Hey… look what I brought you today” he hold up the rose so Sungmin could see it, “It’s a rose. Our favorite” he smile brightly while he said so. After that, he take a vase and water it slightly before he put the rose on that vase and put the vase on a table near Sungmin’s bed, hoping that  Sungmin could smell it’s fragrance.

Kyuhyun sit on the chair next to Sungmin’s bed and hold his lover hand tightly, afraid that he could lose him if he didn’t do it, “You know I’m really sorry for what had happened to us. Really, if I listen to you that night, if I drive carefully maybe we didn’t end up like this. Maybe we still could spend our time cuddling on our bed till morning come” he caress Sungmin’s hair lovingly, gazing at the beautiful face of the person he love the most in this world, “But, what’s done is done right. Even though we trying hard and pray to God to turn back the time, we couldn’t do that” Kyuhyun continue to smile while caressing Sungmin’s hair. Even though deep inside his heart he feel really sad and guilty about this accident, feeling that he want to weep like a little child because he was the one who make the love of his life lying weakly on the hospital bed, hoping that he could turn back the time so he could avoid that car crash but he continue to smile, hoping that Sungmin could feel him and wake up from his comatose.

“You know baby, I think your brother would be mad at me because I make you suffer like this. But baby, you have to defended me if he try to punch me, okay? Because you know, even though that his body is smaller than mine but his punch is really hurt. I think my jaw was broken when he punch me last time” Kyuhyun laugh slightly when he remember that time. The time when he make his lover crying for the first time. Sungjin who know it quickly come to his place. Ignoring the confused look on Kyuhyun’s face, he start to punch him in the face, telling that he’ll do worse if he make Sungmin crying again in the future.

Kyuhyun look at Sungmin sadly, a sad smile was plastering on his handsome face when he try to hold back his tears, “I am a worse boyfriend, aren’t I?” he get up from his seat and kiss Sungmin’s forehead deeply, “But remember that I will always love you, Min” he said before he leave the room.

Kyuhyun continue to come to Sungmin’s place and always carrying a red rose on his hand everytime he go to Sungmin’s room. Everyday, Kyuhyun always sit on that chair, holding Sungmin’s hand tightly while talking about their past together. He always stay there for half an hour. He kiss Sungmin head and tell him how much he love Sungmin before he leave the room just to come back on the next day and do the same routine.

That day, it was a week after the doctor tells the Lee family that Sungmin falling into comatose. After Kyuhyun leave the room, Sungjin walk in with tears streaming down on his face. His shoulder sagged and he stumbled slightly when he approach Sungmin’s bed. He hold Sungmin’s hand tightly and kneel beside his brother bed. Tears fall freely from his eyes as he sob louder. “I’m sorry, hyung” he whispered, “I’m sorry” he continue to whisper as he grasp his brother’s hand tightly, “They say that he couldn’t save him, hyung… He’s gone, hyung… he’s gone… but please… please wake up, hyung… don’t go with him”

 

***

 

It was a sunny day. The sun shining brightly and the birds chirp loudly on the tree. On one hospital room, a man was opening his eyes slowly, wincing slightly when the light is too bright on his eyes. “You wake up?” the said man turns his head to his right, seeing the blurry image of someone sitting beside him. He blink slowly, trying to clear his vision and when he open his eyes for the second time, smile crept up on his face when he see his lover sitting there, beside him, “Good morning sleeping beauty”

“K-Kyu…”

Kyuhyun just smile back at him, “Yes it is me” he said while Sungmin’s hand lovingly. “Do you want to drink?” he offered and Sungmin just nodded his head as his answer. “I’ll go get it” he get the water and help Sungmin to drink.

“How long?” Sungmin asked, holding onto Kyuhyun’s hand as tight as he could. He didn’t know why but his stomach clench tightly, no… it’s not because of the wounds. He feel that something isn’t right, that he’ll lose his lover if he didn’t hold him tight.

“10 days” Kyuhyun said, holding Sungmin’s hand tighter than before. “Look! I’ve got something for you” he smile brightly and holding up a red rose so Sungmin could see it clearly.

“Plastic?” Sungmin look at Kyuhyun confusedly when he touch the petals.

Kyuhyuhn just laugh at Sungmin mocking tone and the back of Sungmin’s hand lovingly, "You know, Min. Red rose is a symbol of love but rose is just like other flower; their petals would fall and die if we did not plant it properly. But, this rose is different, even though the other roses will die but one rose will continue to live forever. It’s a symbol of my love for you, my undying love for you. Even after I die, after I’m no longer in this world, my love for you wouldn’t fall and die, it would continue to live… forever" Kyuhyun ended his words with a kiss on Sungmin’s forehead.

Sungmin frown when he hear Kyuhyun’s words, he hold his hand tighter than before. The bad feeling come again and he didn’t know why but he feel the sudden urge to cry. Kyuhyun’s words… why… “Why it feels like you are saying goodbye?” Sungmin said while he blink the tears away from his eyes.

Kyuhyun just holding Sungmin’s hand tightly and kiss his lips deeply. Sungmin didn’t know why but his tears start to fall from his eyes when Kyuhyun kiss his lips.

 

***

 

When sungmin open his eyes that day, the room is quiet. No one was there. Not even Kyuhyun was there to accompany him. he look at his side, trying to find the nurse button. His eyes landed on the vase near his bed. There was 10 red roses in that vase, some of the petals already fall and die. Remembering Kyuhyun’s words to him before he fall asleep, Sungmin quickly push the nurse button. The urge to see his lover’s face is really high. He want to see him. He want to see Kyuhyun now.

Less than a minute, a nurse walk in with Sungjin tailing behind her. Sungjin’s face brightened when he see that his brother is awake, “Hyung! You awake!” he exclaimed while running to Sungmin’s side. The nurse was run out of the room, telling Sungjin that she is going to inform the doctor.

After a while, the doctor walk in with a few nurses behind him. He smile brightly when he see that Sungmin is awake. He told Sungjin to step back because he need to check on Sungmin’s condition. After done checking, he tell them that Sungmin is fine. The wound is healing nicely and he could discharge him quickly if Sungmin’s condition continue to get better day by day.

Sungjin smile brightly when he sit beside Sungmin. Even though he tell Sungmin how worried their family is when they know about Sungmin’s condition but his smile never disappeared from his face.

“Where’s Kyuhyun?” Sungjin’s smile disappear when he hear Sungmin’s question. “Sungjin-ah…”

Sungjin close his eyes and inhale deeply, he hold his brother hand tightly before he open his eyes once again, “Kyuhyun-hyung… he…” he try to calm himself, he couldn’t cry in front of his hyung. No… not when his hyung need him the most, “He’s gone, hyung…”

“Did he go home?”

Sungmin second question hurt him. He didn’t know how to explain this to his brother. He didn’t want his brother to be sad right after he woke up from his comatose. But, he couldn’t hide it, right? Because it will hurt him more if he know about it later.

“Sungjin-ah…”

“Hyung… do you remember what happened 10 days ago?” Sungmin look at his brother confusedly before he nodded his head, “The car that you were riding with Kyuhyun-hyung crash into the road divider and it fly into the next road before the car flipped and spin wildly”

“I remember the car crash but I don’t know what happened after that”

Sungjin look at him with a sad smile, he try really hard to hold back his tears when he saw his brother clueless look, “You two are badly injured that time, hyung. They have to undergo an operation for the both of you. Just like you, Kyuhyun-hyung was fall into a comatose right after his surgery is done. A metal is punctured on his lugs and it makes his lungs filled with blood. The doctor could stop the bleeding when they do the surgery. 7 days after that, they said that his lungs start to bleed again and they had to do another surgery for him. But this time, they couldn’t save him” he look at Sungmin’s tear stained face, it hurt him… it hurt him very much. “He’s gone, hyung… Kyuhyun-hyung passed away 3 days ago”

Sungmin pulled his hands away from Sungjin’s hold, “You’re lying, right? You lie right, Lee Sungjin!”

“Hyung!”

“How could he’s gone when he was here with me an hour ago! How could you say something like that! You must be lying to me, right?”

“Hyung I didn––“

“Did Kyuhyun told you to tell me this?” Sungmin glare at him, tears continue to fall from his eyes uncontrollably, “Speak up Lee Sungjin! Did he tell you to do this?!”

Sungmin get up from his lying position and he pull out the cable that attach on his body. Sungjin was trying to stop him but Sungmin just push him away until he fall to the floor. “What will you do hyung?”

Sungmin didn’t answer his question. He get out from the bed but he fall as soon as he set his foor on the floor. His legs are still so weak. Sungjin quickly crawl to his brother side. He try to help him back to his bed but Sungmin just slap his hand away, “Don’t touch me!”

“Hyung…”

“I need to find him! I need to see Kyuhyun, Sungjin-ah…” he plead.

“Sungmin-hyung… he is––“

“He is not die! He’s here with me an hour ago! How could you tell me that he is died 3 days ago when he was here with me an hour ago!”

Sungjin kneel down in front of him. He hold Sungmin’s hand tightly, glad that Sungmin didn’t slap his hand again, “Hyung…” he started, ignoring the hurt that flashed on his brother eyes, “He’s gone, hyung…”

“You lie! Look!” Sungmin pointed at the vase full of red rose on the table near his bed, “He even brought roses for me! He even brought that plastic rose for me and he give it to me an hour ago! How could you say that he is died Lee Sungjin!”

Sungjin couldn’t hold his tears anymore, he hug his brother tightly and whispering on his ear, “But… there’s no roses on that vase, hyung…”

Sungmin look at the vase full of roses once again. The roses is there… even though some of the petals are falling and died but the plastic rose is still there. He continue to look at that rose when he remember Kyuhyun’s words. Tears falling freely from his red eyes, scream could be heard throughout the room, Sungjin continue to hug him tightly even though his brother continue to hit his back.

Sungjin cried.

He didn’t like to see his brother like this.

It hurt him.

He could hear his panic shout when Sungmin’s body went limp, “Sungmin-hyung!!”

 

***

 

“Sungmin-ah…” Mrs. Lee called his oldest son softly from the side of the bed. Her hand was holding Sungmin’s hand tightly when he see Sungmin’s tears once again.

It’s been a week.

A week after Sungjin told Sungmin about Kyuhyun’s death.

Instead of getting better, Sungmin condition continue to get worse each day.

He refused to eat, to drink and to talk to his family.

Lee Sungmin is just like a living shell with no soul and it makes the Lee family sad to see his condition. His mother couldn’t help but cry when the doctor said that Sungmin is depressed and he need a professional help.

His family even called the best psychiatrist to help Sungmin but Sungmin still refused to talk to her. He often crying out in the middle of the night, calling out for his deceased lover again and again, screaming when his family told him that his lover is already gone. They often find him missing from his room just to find him crying at the end of the hallway, asking for his lover for come back again, to be with him again.

Mrs. Lee look at his oldest son who lie weakly on the hospital bed. There are a lot of wires attach to his small body. Seeing Sungmin condition make tears falling from her eyes. She hold Sungmin’s hand tightly and brought it to her chest. She didn’t know that the loss could make his son to be like this. She bring her hand to caress Sungmin’s hair lovingly, “Sungmin-ah… please get better, our Sungmin. I couldn’t see you like this” her voice cracked and sobs could be heard come out from her, “Kyuhyun wouldn’t be happy if he see you like this, Sungmin-ah…”

 

***

 

Sungmin open his eyes, wincing slightly when he feel the sunlight on his eyes. He rubbed his eyes and look around the room. His eyes widen when he see his surroundings.

He was not in his hospital room.

He get up from his lying position and look at his surroundings in awe. He is sitting on a rose field. The blooming red rose field.

Sungmin close his eyes, enjoying the roses’ sweet fragrance and the warmth sunlight.

He stretched out his hand and let the gravity to pull his body into a lying position once again.

“Oof”

He quickly open his eyes when he hear a grunt and his head collided with something hard. Well, softer than the ground. His eyes widened a few centimeter when he see that person’s face, “Kyu!” Sungmin quickly get up and hug the said man. Ignoring the grunting sound when the man’s body collided with the ground.

“You’re heavy, Min” Kyuhyun said while looking at Sungmin who was lying on top of him, hugging him tightly. “But I like it” he said and hug him back.

“How?” Sungmin said after a while, looking at Kyuhyun’s eyes and caressing his face slowly. Afraid that it was just his illusion and Kyuhyun would disappear again but the said man just smile brightly at him, caressing Sungmin’s hair with the hand that Sungmin love the most.

“I couldn’t leave you, could I?”

Sungmin pouted and wrinkled his nose, “But you left me”

Kyuhyun just laugh and kiss Sungmin pouted lips. He holds each side of Sungmin’s face and kiss both of Sungmin’s eyes. A habit that he always does everytime Sungmin mad at him, “But I come back, didn’t I?” Sungmin smile brightly before he launched himself at Kyuhyun’s body. Hugging him tightly, as if the other man would be gone again if he loosening his hold. “Don’t worry, Min. I won’t leave you again”

“Promise?”

“I promise with all my heart and soul”

 

***

 

The Lee family walk in the hospital hallway that connected them to Sungmin’s room. Sungjin was just come back from his school and their parents were just meeting Sungmin’s doctor to discuss about Sungmin’s condition. When they open the door, the disturbing sound from the heart monitor make them run quickly into the room.

Mrs. Lee crying loudly.

Sungjin turn his body and punch the nearby wall.

Mr. Lee was trying to hold back his tears while calming down his wife.

Sungmin still lying on that hospital bed, the same as when his parents leave him to meet his doctor. But what make him different is the small smile that plastered on his peaceful face. His hand was folded above his stomach and he was holding a plastic red rose on his now cold hands.

Mr. Lee hug his wife tightly on his chest. His wife was hitting his chest weakly while muttering ‘why?’ again and again. His gaze shifted from his oldest son to his youngest son when he hear him screaming his bother name. He look at the ceiling, trying his best not to cry in front of his family. He shifted his gaze to the now peaceful Sungmin beside him. Somewhat looking at Sungmin’s serene face make him smile sadly. “Don’t cry” he said softly, “We don’t have to cry” he said louder this time. His words make his family member to look at him confusedly, he look at his wife’s eyes before he look at his youngest son’s, “He is happy now”

Mrs. Lee look at his oldest son’s serene face. Slowly, she detach herself from her husband’s hold and walking to her son’s side. A tears fall from her eyes but she quickly wipe them. She kiss Sungmin’s cold forehead and hug him tightly, “Are you happy now, Sungmin-ah? Did you meet Kyuhyun up there?” she get up and caressing Sungmin’s cold cheek lovingly.

For the last time.

 


 

how is it guys?

I hope you like it *praying hard*

I'm sorry that I kill the both of them :(

but is it counted as a happy ending? hehehe

 

hope you like it~~

don't forget to comment, subscribe and upvote~~

See ya!!

*wave hand and vanish like a ninja*