Final

It's me

“Never forget me” the voice of a 9 year old boy said in your head.

“I won’t” replied a 9 year old girl.

“Pinky promise”

“Pinky promise”

That was the last you could remember of him. The little boy who used to play pretend with you, treated you like a little princess and even left his prize possession in your care.

“That’s all for today’s lesson. Remember to do your homework and hand them in when school reopens” your science teacher said as the bell rang and students start packing their bags, ready to get out of school.

You snapped back to reality only to find that you’re the only one left in the class. You scrambled to pack your bag and left the class.

“It’s been 10 years. I wonder if he still remembers me.” You thought to yourself as you look at the starfish hanging around your neck.

 

“Ahhh! Stay away from me! Go away!” you screamed as you ran. A dog was barking at you while chasing after you. You tripped and fell and at this point you heard a little boy shouting, “Bad dog! Sit!” To your amusement, the dog sat on the boy’s command.

“Are you okay? I’m so sorry. Lucky must have startled you real bad. I’m so so sorry.” The boy said as he helped you up and wipe off the dirt on you.

“Lucky? It’s your dog?” you asked.

“Neh! I’m so sorry he startled you so badly. I should have kept a close eye on him.” The boy said with a worried and apologetic look on his face like he just broke his mother’s favorite vase and is waiting for punishment to befall him, as he helped you to the bench nearby.

“Bad dog! Bad Lucky!” the boy said as he pointed at his dog. Lucky laid down and let out a small sad whine with a sad look on his face. “Uh! Don’t be sad. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have scolded you. Don’t be like this. But you were in the wrong. Lucky.” The boy said upon seeing his dog reaction.

You giggled to yourself upon seeing this. “You must really love your dog.”

“Eh? Neh! I really love Lucky. He’s a really good friend. Guess he wanted to play with you thus he ran after you. He didn’t mean to. I’m so sorry.”

“You’ve apologized to me a lot of times. Kwaenchana.” you replied with a smile on your face. “Annyeong Lucky. _______ imnida.” You said as you looked at the dog.

“Woof!”

“Lucky likes you.”

“Really?” you giggled as you patted Lucky’s head.

 

“Do you like me?” you asked as you ruffled Lucky’s fur.

“Woof!” Lucky replied as it your cheek.

“Let’s go for a walk!” you laughed as you hooked a strap to Lucky’s collar tag.

 

“Stay here. I’ll be back with some treats.” You said as you ruffled with Lucky’s fur once again.

 

As you walk back, you saw Lucky barking and jumping around a guy wearing Parka and jeans as he ruffled with Lucky’s fur. “You like it don’t you?” you heard him asked.

“Annyeonghaseyo.” You said.

“Oh. Annyeonghaseyo.” The guy said as he turned around and stood up.

“It’s not easy to see him this happy around a stranger.” You told the guy

“Really? Then I must be really special and different.” He teased.

“Indeed.” You replied. “Where have I seen him before?” you thought to yourself as you looked at the guy.

“Guess I’ll go first. Won’t hold you back from walking your dog.” He said with a smile, snapping you out of your thoughts. “Bye.” He said as he ruffled with Lucky’s fur one last time before leaving.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo. May I take your orders.” You said without looking up from the cashier screen.

“Caramel Macchiato please.” A voice said.

“That’ll be $6.40” you said as you look up. To your surprise and the customer’s surprise, you guys met when you were walking Lucky at the park.

“What are you doing here?” the guy asked with a surprised expression on his face.

“I’m helping out. And..”

“Helping out? You mean you..” the guy interrupted you and pointed to the café as he asked you.

“My family owns this café.” You replied.

“I don’t remember Korea being this small.” The guy mumbled with a small chuckle as he handed you the money.

 

“A customer wants me to pass you this.. napkin” Hara said as she handed you a napkin.

“Thanks.” You said as you took it from her.

“Love letter?” she asked with curiosity as she looked at you with wide eyes.

“Playground in the park opposite Seoul Elementary school @ 9pm. Will I be able to see Lucky again? (:“, the words on the napkin reads. “How does this person know there’s a park opposite Seoul Elementary school and a playground in it? And Lucky’s name.” you thought to yourself.

“Yah! I’m asking you a question. Why aren’t you answering me?” Hara said with a pout.

“Eh?” you asked.

“Aish! Forget it!”

“Is it you?” you thought to yourself as you read the napkin again.

 

“Are you really going to meet this customer? And you’re going to bring Lucky along?” Uncle Lee, your butler asked with concern as you hook a strap onto Lucky’s collar tag.

“It might be him. I’d rather be wrong than miss this chance of meeting him. It’s been 10 years, Uncle Lee. You know how much I wanna see him again.”

“Like you’ve said, it’s been 10 years. How can you be sure that he is able to recognize you?”

“I’d rather go and get my answer later than not go and never get my answer”

“But..”

“Don’t worry Uncle Lee. I have MK. If anything goes wrong, he’ll beat up that person.” You said as you assured Uncle Lee.

“If you say so.” He sighed.

 

As you got nearer to the playground, you saw a figure sitting on the swing with a bouquet in his hands. The figure stood up as it saw you coming closer. It was the same guy whom you saw at the park and at your café.

“Have you forgotten about our promise?” he asked.

“Woof woof woof!” Lucky barked and started jumping on the guy.

“Lucky.” You said as you tried to pull it back from the guy. “I’m so sorry.”

“Guess you’ve forgotten.” The guy sighed. “At least Lucky still remembers me” he said as he bend down and ruffled Lucky’s fur while smiling.

“Woof woof!”

“I.. You.. I..”

“Punishment for breaking promises as usual.” The guy said as he stood up and smiled.

“Ouhhh!” you said as he shot your forehead with his fingers.

“You!” your voice trailed off. “How does he know this is the punishment for breaking promises? Wait. What have I promised him?” you thought to yourself as you stared at the guy.

 “Do you remember me?” he asked as he handed you the bouquet of flower.

“Kevin-sshi?” you asked as you saw the feather, cross and male logo charms hanging around his neck. “Kevin? Kevin! KEVIN! It really is you!” you said with excitement as you jumped for joy and wrapped your arm around his neck.

“It’s me, my dear princess.” He whispered into your ear as he wrapped his arm around your waist.

“I miss you” you whispered as tears filled your eyes.

“I miss you too” he said as he kissed your cheek.

“How did you recognize me?” you asked as he wiped tears away from your eyes.

“How can I not recognize you?”

“I.. I.. I’m sorry I couldn’t recognize you.”

“Hush..” he said as he gently placed his finger on your lips. “It doesn’t matter if we’re together now” he said as he caressed your cheeks and kissed you gently. “13 years, and I can finally tell you, I love you.”

“13 years, and I can finally tell you, I love you too.”