• 003

Nightingale

chapter three; when one is happy, one is sad.


- - -

 

 

      Joohyun crumpled another piece of scented paper with a lot of poorly written characters with some strike through lines over it. It was Sunday afternoon where the kids were having fun playing under the hot blazing sun, white-collar workers were busy having an iced coffee inside an air conditioned stalls, some teenagers were having their time of their life with their boy friends or girl friends or in short—fun time.

      Instead of having fun, Joohyun is wasting her scented cream colored papers from writing anonymous letters which she would slip it inside the locker beside the one she owns, #1315, she's doing this because no one would actually read it since no one owns it. However  she's hoping one day that someone would own locker #1315 and read all of her letters. All she wanted was to release her emotions; happy, sad, hatered, love—all of her emotions as long as she feels it. This is much worse than writing on a journal which she do everynight but nothing changes at all.

      Though she already found a way on how to realease her emotions, she's still not contented because she wants someone who would reply and say 'It's okay, I am here for you.'. Yes, she have a family but they are busy. She have a sister but she's getting married sooner or later, an older brother but he's too busy from the university, and an eldest brother who treats her like a stranger. Joohyun sometimes wished that God should've get her and not her mother but she can't dictate the most powerful one. She knew He have better plans and He would not leave her alone. 

      Silly and childish might it sounds but Joohyun already came up on her mind that she would put the letters she would make on the locker #1315.

      A communication without a feedback is not a communication. That's how communication rolls and Joohyun doesn't care about it somehow but she badly needs someone who would listen to her and someone who would give a reply. Joohyun sighed and left her room for a glass of water. She stopped walking when her heard 'Keroro'.

      "Oppa! Switch back the channel to Keroro." Taeyeon cried while yanking Ryeowook's hair.

      "Wae?! It's a replay and I'm watching a drama" 

      "Drama?! That's !"

    "Aish! This punk—what are you? An alien who doesn't know french kissing? For Peter's sake Taeyeon, you're getting married and you still call kissing as ?!" Ryeowook almost flipped the tables in disappointment and irritation. Joohyun had to suppress her grin when she passed by them. She went back to her room and gently closed the door. 

      Keroro is her all time favorite cartoon and Joohyun brainwashed her sister to watch it too. That's why the two can get along well. She placed her glass of water on her desk and start working on the letter. 

Mr. Keroro,
                  Lately, I've been underestimated. I don't know, it's like they don't trust me with what I can do and they always think that I can't do anything because I can't talk. I am mute, Mr. Keroro. Is being mute really that bad? I didn't study hand signs because others might not understand them so this is why I use sketch pad to communicate. In school, I am bullied. In home, there is someone who don't accept me. Sometimes I wished that I could talk and I should be accepted by everyone. Life is cruel indeed. I hope someday that everything will be fine.

Sincerely,
Seororo

      Joohyun heaved a sigh when she finished writing the letter. Sometimes, letting out what you feel helps you to feel better.

 

- - -

 

      Monday arrived and Joohyun heaved a sigh as she rested her hand on the cold navy blue steel. Her hands felt cold and numb when she rested it on the locker #1315. So this is what you feel when you're nervous. She thought and closed her eyes for a second. She hurriedly slid the letter inside the locker and mouthed a simple 'Yes'. 

      The once empty locker was not empty anymore. Thanks to Joohyun's letter.

      "Hey there." A voice exclaimed and slung an arm around Joohyun's neck. 

      Too surprised, Joohyun accidentally elbowed the intruder on the stomach. Base from the voice, Joohyun assumed it was a guy. She was not used to this kind of interaction and it made her feel weird all of a sudden.

      "Yah, that hurts you know?" He said and followed by a low chuckle. "Don't worry, it's me." He added and spun Joohyun around to face him. He showed his gummy smile and saluted at her with two fingers. 

      Henry. She sighed in relief and gave him a warm smile.

      "Good morning, Joohyun." He greeted casually which surprised Joohyun, again

      You surprised me and sorry for hurting you earlier. Oh and good morning too Henry-ssi. 

      "Aigoo, drop the formalities since we're no longer strangers—From now on, we're friends." He said as he put out his things from his locker. He looked at her straight in the eye when he said the last 5 words in his sentence then he showed his brightest smile. From now on, we're friends.

      His simple words made her happy. Finally, there is someone that she can call her friend and this made her heart lighter than before. 

      

- - -

 

      "I can't believe that I have to—Did I really failed on 4 subjects?!" Cho Kyuhyun asked in frustration while banging his head on their dining table. It was night time in California and yet Kyuhyun ruined the calm and peaceful evening of the Cho family. 

      "I can't believe you chose to develope a game than to develope your grades." Her older sister, Cho Ara, whacked his head with a magazine she's holding. He winced in pain and glared at her. 

   Due to his addiction on playing online games, Kyuhyun decided to develope a game. Instead of doing his homeworks or reviewing for his long tests, he spent a lot of sleepless nights on creating a game that would make him popular and a millionaire in just a blink of an eye. But his little world of games and his goals were ruined when his academics entered. He was suppose to gradute high school this year but his 4 subjects failed excluding mathof course. And because of that, he will repeat as a senior in high school in South, Korea.

      "That's final Cho Kyuhyun. You're going back in Seoul and you're not going to stay here." 

      "But Dad I don't want—I can't leave my projects here!" 

      "What I said was final! You are such a disgrace in this family." 

      So what they say is true—words hurt. He bitterly thought as he stared at his father. There was a feeling of hurt, anger and disappointment in his eyes. His father's words were like sharp blades that cut his heart. This was the first time when his father said things like that to him.

      "I'm going back to Seoul in 3 days." Kyuhyun said and walked to his room, dejected.

 


A/N: 1180 words *^* this one is shorter than the last one. Okay so I revealed why the locker is not empty anymore but not because of Kyuhyun going to appear all of a sudden but because of Joohyun will put all of her feelings inside the locker through letters (: So sorry for grammatical errors  ^^v Oh and Cho Kyuhyun is hereeeeee~ Yay \o/ Isn't amazing? Haha! Thank you everyone, Reset loves yoouuuu <3 Please don't hesitate to share your thoughts, oh how I love when you guys left comments ;))