Chapter One - First Week.

Miracles In December

6th December 2013

I stepped outside the house and savored the cool winter breeze that was blowing against my cheeks. Glancing around, I couldn't help myself from staring at the almost-bare trees that stretched all the way from my house to the whole neighborhood. It is a work of art, this nature paradise. Yet some people never appreciate what nature had provided for them.

 

With my resume and all the official documents in my hands, I directed a loud 'goodbye' to the pearl-coloured house behind me and started my journey up north. Each step I take deteriorates my hopes for an audible reply of "goodbye", or even a simple hand wave through the window. At least something to let me know that they still care about me, as how I've always cared about them. But I know that that's not going to happen so I continued my walk, never once turning back to avoid my disappointment.

 

The law firm building was four blocks away from my house. As I walk along the barren road, I take in my surroundings and breathe in the freshness, something I can't do later on when I'm in an air-conditioned room. Leaves are constantly falling from the branches of the trees, cloaking the ground with shades of green, yellow and brown. I kick them up and watch happily as they rose up in the air and promptly land down again. Gravity's no fun, my subconscious sighed.

 

I'm getting closer to the T-junction of the road. Just one right turn, then I'll be three blocks nearer to my future workplace. As bad luck would have it, I noticed my shoelaces were untied and were sticking out like earthworms out from the earth. With a sigh followed by a curse, I bent down to tie the annoying strings.

 

Heavy. That was the first thing I thought of when I find myself sprawled on the ground with a load on top of me. I slowly lifted my head and took a peek. It looks like a boy. I groaned in pain and push him off me, and he let out a loud "ouch" as his body hit the rock hard ground right beside me. He wasn't quite heavy to be frank, but since he ran into me while he was sprinting, the impulse of our collision was enough to make me lightheaded and sore.

 

"H-hey," the stranger stuttered, breaking me from my daze. I didn't realize he was still there. I thought this was one of those hit-and-run cases which involved two human beings instead of one car and a human. I got up from my lying stance with a heavy sigh, accustoming to the emptiness supporting my backbone, and faced said male.

 

I find myself staring at a young, teenaged boy with a round face. In fact, everything about his facial features showcased roundness. I find his cheeks quite appealing though, as they look like those steamed stuffed buns that my grandmother used to sell during her last days. His eyes are like round globes and somewhat feline-like, and his hair is coloured a dark copper. To summarize, he looks like one of those cute member from a famous boy band. The one each delusional fangirl would buy posters of and plaster it up their room's walls. I don't know how I end up staring at him for a long time, till he cleared his throat, snapping me out of my reverie the second time that day.

 

"What?" I half yelled.

 

The boy's previous static lips pull back into a deep smile, giving a preview of his white teeth. His eyes formed crests and I'm starting to hate my subconscious for dwelling on his appearance and pointing out what I saw specifically.

 

"Sorry.. about this," he glanced towards the ground and I followed his gaze. All of my paper works are scattered around our little "place of accident", some even landed further away, but for some reason, I'm not that mad. "And sorry about your, um, wounds?" And then he flashed me his cheeky grin.

 

"Oh, um, yeah." I mentally slapped myself for my stupid reply. Here's this boy, apologizing sincerely for his fault while I gave him the impression of a snobby who detest kindness. I cleared my throat and regain my composure. With a deep intake of air, I tried again.

 

"It's fine. I'm not hurt anywhere, really." I stand and he followed suit. "I'm just quite shocked that you suddenly ran into me, that's all."

 

"Ignore all these papers. I'll pick it up later. You really should get going though, because judging from just now, it looks like you're late for something." I gave him my best smile. That went better than expected.

 

"Are you sure you don't need help? You look like you're hurt-"

 

I cut him off. "I reassure you, I'm fine. Look I can even stand on my own. You on the other hand, are obviously late. I suggest you go instead of wasting your time on me." I dig out my handkerchief from my pocket and used it to wipe my smudged hands.

 

"Well, if you say so," he stepped back and bent down to pick some of my paper works. "But that doesn't stop me from helping you out a bit." He handed over the papers to me and flashed his smile.

 

"I'll get going then! See you when I see you!" With that, he ran off and I couldn't help myself from grinning. How awkward was that. I then bent down and gathered the fallen paper works.

 

I was busy picking up the papers when suddenly I caught sight of something underneath my file. I squint at it and lifted the file up. It was a medium-sized book with a dark blue cover. Maybe this book belongs to the boy who collided with me just now. I rubbed my eyes and stare at the title.

 

"Ways To Live Forever".

 

I flip the book cover open. There was a scribble on the first page of the book.

 

'Belongs to Kim Min Seok'

 

Kim Minseok must be the boy who ran into me. Underneath his name is an address, which I assume where his house might be. I flip through the book and closed it shut when I realized that I, myself, am late too. I quickly gathered my documents and slide it into the empty file.

 

As if a thousand dogs were after me, I quickly ran to the law firm. I wouldn't wanna miss a job interview that mum set up or else I'll go home to a bloody massacre. I'll just check out that book tonight. This Kim Minseok dude would have to wait.

 

 

~^^~

 

 

Like that of a fallen angel, I fall limblessly onto my bed with full force, letting my body bounce a little due to the high momentum that I exerted.

 

The job interview was a mess. I completely screwed up the questions that the interviewer asked me and I stuttered like a . First rule in law school is that you must never stutter, because who would want someone with a degree in law to stutter while being assigned to speak in front of an audience. Surely not someone in their right mind. This so much explains why me and law just don't click.

 

I fidget on my bed as I tried to erase the combination of embarrassing and ridiculous thoughts out of my mind. It must have been minutes when I finally decide that what had happened today is because of me, being too preoccupied with something else in my mind.

 

I got up from my bed and walk over to my study table. Unwanted law books were placed here and there and assignment papers makes my table even more crowded than it already is. I searched for that one book that was on my mind the entire time. I finally found it next to the large pile of criminal law books. I grab a hold of it and trudge my way to the bed while holding the blue covered book in my palm.

 

Once again, I lay down on the soft mattress and stretched my limbs. I held the book up high, blocking the source of light on the low ceiling that was constantly piercing through my line of vision.

 

I flip the cover open and stared at the name there. Kim Minseok. Those three syllables keeps forming on my head the whole day. I tried to get rid of it but it only got worser. Why I'm remembering his name, I don't know. It's definitely not anything related with 'like' or 'love'. It's more of.. a fascination? I don't know. I smiled to myself as the tips of my fingers touch the mark of the pen that was used to write his name. And then I retracted my hand. What the hell was I doing? I closed the book with annoyance and placed it at the far end of the bed.

 

I contemplated whether to give him back the book, or just keep it to myself. The address to his house is just there, in black and white. I still haven't made up mind and at last, I ended up falling into a deep slumber, with the recurring dilemma invading my dreams.

 

 


 

7th December 2013

I didn't know how I got here. I feel unwelcomed. It's like I'm an outcast in this neighborhood. Why did I even came here in the first place? I must have been out of my mind. I don't belong here. Me and my car don't belong here.

 

I decided to just get into my ride and drive the hell away from this shuddery vicinity. This neighborhood gives me the creeps. All the houses here are built like skyscrapers reaching out to the sky. They're big, tall mansion-like, and ridiculously pretty that it makes them.. scary to the eye. I don't understand how the people living here would deem their houses a 'home'. By the looks of it, the landscape of the house is just way too uncomfortable.

 

The first raindrop from the sky struck me at the back of my left ear. I can feel the wetness and the chilling sensation of the rainwater, making my ear boil due to extreme sensitivity. I pinched my ear with my thumb and forefinger in hopes that the redness will subside. It didn't.

 

I was too busy pinching my ear that I became deaf to the locks inside the house being unlocked by someone. I was too occupied with what I'm doing that I didn't realize that a boy just went out from the house, didn't realize that he saw me at his front gate, didn't realize that he silently crept behind me and stood there, just waiting for me to respond to my surroundings.

 

Without a doubt, I spun around as I could feel that I was being watched. My soul nearly jump out of body when I made eye contact with two intriguing brown orbs belonging to a certain boy. He took in my shocked expression and the next minute, the quiet neighborhood echoed with his chirpy laughter.

 

"Oh man, that was funny!" He said while clapping his hands. "You should see your face!" And then he laughed again.

 

"H-How long have you been standing there?" I didn't meant to stutter. I really didn't.

 

He dabbed his teary eyes with his forefinger and look straight at me with that cheeky grin plastered to his face. I suddenly felt insecure. "Long enough." He replied, followed by a wink.

 

"Hey! You're the dude who I ran into the other day right?"

 

"What other day? It was yesterday." I think he has short-term memory.

 

"Oh yeah, right. My bad. Heh heh. Sorry." I didn't respond.

 

"So, what're you doing here? Did you just stalked me or did you just happen to-" His eyes darted behind me and turned wide as saucers as I followed his gaze and find it laying on my red Chevrolet. "Is that your car? The Chevrolet Corvette C6?"

 

Without even bothering to look at him, I nodded.

 

He whistled. "Wow. Now that is unexpected! You don't look like someone who can drive a sports car though.." his voice trailed off when I gave him my bewildered look.

 

"If I'm not mistaken, I'd think that you are looking down on me, kid." I scoffed.

 

"I wasn't!" He quickly retorted. "It's just that, well you're you, and that car is for someone more.."

 

"Manly?"

 

"I was going to say someone more older, but manly works too." Cue the cheeky smile. "Okay back to my question. Did you stalked me or did you just happen to drive through this neighborhood with that red Chevrolet of yours and just coincidently stop in front of my house?"

 

"Do you always speak so casually to strangers, or am I not that intimidating?" was the first thing that came out of my mouth.

 

He shrugged. "I find you quite friendly to be quite honest."

 

Friendly? Me? Never. I ignored him and proceed to answer his question. "Well. First of all, I didn't stalk you. I'm too busy with my own life to start researching what people were up to or where they are living." I leaned against the car door and crossed my arms. Okay maybe I'm trying too hard to act manly. But who cares. All the time, he was staring at me. His gaze is piercing my inner train of thoughts and I need to find a way to not succumb to his defiant eyes.

 

"I actually have something that belongs to you." I continued. "You dropped it yesterday when you ran into me. I guess you were in a rush because you completely forgot about it once you started running off."

 

I let my arms fall and make it wander to the leather saddle bag that I was carrying. I dig into it and pulled out the dark blue cover book. "'Ways to Live Forever' by Sally Nicholls. I saw your name and address in it so I just, yeah.."

 

I handed the book over to him. He stared at me with his round eyes and his mouth formed an 'O'. Reluctantly, he reached out his hand. His expression changed once he grabbed a hold of the book. He beamed at me, only now it wasn't quite mischievous. It looks more.. sincere.

 

"You know, you didn't have to-"

 

"No." I cut him off and he looked at me questioningly. "I mean, I don't like keeping something that belongs to others. What's more if that someone is a kid. I feel like a bully." I exhaled. Nice save, Do Kyungsoo.

 

He looked at the book and then he looked back at me.

 

"Thanks.. For bringing this back. You have no idea how precious this book is to me." He bowed. "Thank you."

 

My eyes were transfixed on his bowing stance. This is way too formal, and I don't like it one bit.

 

"Stop it. You're making a fool out of yourself. Just thank me in a casual way, like how you always do in our awkward conversation, okay?" When he didn't budge, I grabbed his shoulders and pushed him backwards into a standing posture. I gaped at his face. I thought that he would be happy since he got his 'precious' book back. Fresh tears in his eyes was not what I had expected to see.

 

I took a step back and cleared my throat. What did I do? I just made someone cry. I never made someone cry before. "Um, you got something.. in your eye." God, Do Kyungsoo. You at this.

 

He regained his posture and wiped his teary eyes with the back of his hand. "Well, that something has a term, you know. They're called tears." He took out a red handkerchief from his jeans pocket and used it to dab his eyes. "I guess you're bad at this, right?"

 

Just then, thunder rumbled in the greying sky, disrupting us both from our conversation. I looked at Minseok's direction and I could see that he was looking up at the sky, the Adam's apple on his pale neck bobbed as he swallowed. Dried tears still cover his face and he was still sniffing. I need to get out of here. Fast.

 

"So.. I think I should get going." I said in a hushed tone, half expecting a reply but all I got is silence. His gaze never teared from the sky above him. I nodded my head at him and proceed to get into my car.

 

"Wait."

 

I turned around and saw that he still was looking at the sky. Maybe he has ADHD. Or maybe I'm paranoid.

 

Minseok was the first one to break the silence.

 

"Since you were so kind to give me back my precious story book, how about I treat you to brunch tomorrow." I inhaled. "Consider this a gratitude for your kindness." He quickly added. Only then did he tear his gaze away from the clouds and look at me straight in the eye.

 

I was at crossroads. Did someone whom I barely know, asked me out? The thought of it barely registered in my messed up mind. This is surprising and amusing at the same time. What's even more surprising is that the one who asked me out is a stranger, not to mention still a kid.

 

I must have paid a visit to "Daydream Land" because I didn't notice Minseok standing right in front of me, waving a hand to my face. "Hello hello. Earth to creepy stalker guy? Yuhuu."

 

I flinched. "Huh what? What?"

 

Although I'm in my daze state, I could clearly see his mouth stretched widely from ear to ear. The sadness in his expressions completely vanished into thin air. "I asked you," he took a deep breath and looked at me. "Do you want to go out for brunch tomorrow? With me? As a token for your kindness?"

 

Oh. So it was true. He did ask me out. Okay so how am I going to respond? "Yeah, that'd be cool." I replied nonchalantly. Haste child, haste!

 

"Great!" He jumped gleefully. And then he stopped. He slowly turned his body towards me and ruffled the hair behind his head.

 

"Um, but you see, I don't have a car like you. So.."

 

I rolled my eyes at him. "Nevermind, I'll pick you up here tomorrow. Be ready by 12.30."

 

As if expecting the exact answer, he started jumping again. "Thank you! Thank you! God bless your soul! Thank you- um.."

 

"Kyungsoo. Do Kyungsoo."

 

"Thanks a lot, Kyungsoo!" He jogged up his house and was about to open the door when he abruptly turn back and faced me. "And thanks for giving this back." He held the dark colored book up high. "I appreciate it." And then he flashed his smile.

 

There's that familiar feeling again. What is happening to me? "Mm, okay." I waved him off. "Get in before it rains."

 

"Well, look who's talking. You get in your car first! I don't want to buy a sick man food!"

 

This kid gets annoying and annoying each passing minute. Obeying the kid's words, I got into my car and just managed to roll down my car windows.

 

"Don't forget about tomorrow! 12.30! Be ready or I'll just leave without you." With that, I stepped on the accelerator and sped my way out of the neighborhood with a feeling of content in my chest.

 


A/N:

First chapter is done! \0/

Do subscribe, upvote or leave a comment! WE LOVE COMMENTS! :)

 

OH and since it's Kyungsoo's birthday, I would like to wish him a Happy 21st Birthday! Stay awesome and stay healthy always, you lil creep :P

 

Our twitter here,  and here.