chapter two

Iceflare
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

And I’d be smart to walk away,
but you’re quicksand.

 

 

 

 

.

There had to be some mistake.

Hyukjae stared out at the roaring blizzard, clenching the fist he used to lean against the cave’s stonewall. The wind howled with vengeance, as if sensing the presence of a fire dragon in Northern territory, and Hyukjae squinted his eyes but could not see past the hazy mix of white and grey.

this blizzard.

“You won’t make it out there,” a voice comes from behind him and he fights the shivers that run down his spine from the mere sound of it. “Not like that.”

“Shut up.”

He refused to turn around where he knew the blue-eyed blonde sat trapped in a ring of fire. It might be considered an underhanded trick, but Hyukjae was left no choice. Every single cell in his body screamed at him to kill this man, to kill this cold-blooded creature that looked just like those bastards who murdered his parents; that with just a flick of his wrist, he could increase the heat of his flames and destroy this potential threat to his kingdom.

But one look into his eyes, one glance at his soft skin, his wrists, his ankles, his collarbones, every single sound that comes out of that mouth with that voice…

this pendant.

this bond.

Hyukjae groaned in raw frustration and clutched his head, wincing at the sting of pain in his arm.

“You’re hurt.”

Shut up, shut up.

“Yes, well, some filthy idiot bit my wing.”

“You attacked me first…” there’s a slight whine in the blonde’s voice and he almost groans, willing the sound not to go straight to his groin. “Come here.”

Hyukjae whirled around to glare at him sharply, finding the courage to look into those blue eyes to show just how much he hated his kind. “What, so you can kill me first? I don’t think so.”

The blonde sat in silence with his knees pressed against his chest, his skin slightly damp from the heat of the flames that surrounded him, and his eyes hooded and dim with fatigue. Heat was just as dangerous to ice dragons as the cold was to fire dragons, and Hyukjae had to admit he was surprised to see him far from delirious or unconscious, considering how long he’s been entrapped in flames.

“No,” the ice dragon’s blue eyes were intense, honest. “I can help.”

Hyukjae walked closer, steps cautious yet drawn. He’d fought ice dragons for many years; he knew their tendencies, their strategies, their techniques, their strengths, and their weaknesses. He knew they couldn’t stand direct heat, that their skin was as cold as ice. He knew those wretched serpents could fly much faster, but lacked in strength. He knew they were cunning, treacherous strategists who ruled with cold blood. But most of all, the one thing Hyukjae knew about ice dragons that made him confident they would win the war, was that they were selfish.

They were selfish bastards who never came back for their injured on the battlefield.

He saw it with his own eyes, felt blood splatter from the ice dragon he held hostage as he was stabbed right through the chest by his own superior. Hyukjae managed to evade despite his shock, the icy claws only grazing his shoulder but he watched in horror as the hostage collapsed to the ground, murdered by his own kind.

It was something Hyukjae could never forget, no matter how hard he tried.

“Come here,” the blonde continued to call, holding his hand out despite the flames his forearm. “You can’t leave a wound like that.”

Shut up, shut up, shut up.

Ice dragons were selfish, conceited, they cared for no one but themselves. They didn’t have warm eyes, nor did they have gentle voices that made the flames dance. They had high-pitched roars and sharp teeth… they didn’t…

Hyukjae stepped forward, and very slowly, lifted his hand. Blue eyes watched with anticipation as he came closer, the dancing flames illuminating his skin and the ruby red pendant around his neck glowing even brighter.

It was beautiful.

But just as their fingers were mere centimeters away, the blonde finds himself face to face instead with a sharp dragon claw, and furious red eyes.

“Don’t think you can fool me, you snake.” Hyukjae growled.

“I’m only trying to help.”

“Stop lying.”

“You’re shivering. It’s cold.”

“Shut up!”

“You’re too weak to shift back.”

“I said shut up!”

The blonde stands on his feet, “There’s a blizzard raging outside—I can tell you’re not made to withstand this weather yet you’re throwing around threats as if I’m afraid of you. But the truth is, if anyone’s lying and if anyone is afraid…” He grabs Hyukjae’s hand and the dragon prince feels shivers run down his arms the moment their skin touched.

“It should be you.”

The flames around them extinguished in cold air, fierce red eyes and calm blue ones met in an unrelenting, intense stare.

Hyukjae had never seen the blonde at this close a range before—as if it weren’t torture enough from afar, up close, his skin looked like it begged to be caressed, to be claimed and marked over and over and over again. Hyukjae clenched his teeth and willed to fight the sinful temptation but his pendant shone in protest.

It only took one second, one split second when a pink tongue darted out to wet thin lips that Hyukjae was pushed over the edge—with a feral growl, he captured those lips in a searing open-mouthed kiss.

 

.

 

 

“What do you mean he’s not back yet?!”

Heechul all but screeched, causing one of the rookie guards along the wall to flinch in fear. The cold winds that blew from the North had calmed down a few hours ago, but the Southern Kingdom could not be at ease with their prince still missing.

“I mean just that.” Yesung replied, unflinching despite the redhead’s distress. He stood with his back to the town, constantly looking out at the horizon Hyukjae disappeared to.

“That idiot…” Youngwoon clutched his head, “he shouldn’t have gone out on his own.”

“Well, he--” Heechul pointed furiously at Yesung, “—shouldn’t have just let him!”

“He’ll come back.”

“What makes you so sure?!” he shouted, fangs protruding from his lips as he grabbed Yesung by the collar.

“Heechul!” Youngwoon grabbed their shoulders, “Stop it!”

“Our prince is strong. He’ll come back.”

Heechul glared at Yesung straight in the eye, the grip on his collar growing tighter as he stared back bluntly. Many guards at the Wall watched the scene anxiously, others eager for a fight to break out between the two powerful dragons. When they began to crowd, Youngwoon hissed at them with an order to return to their duties.

After what felt like a long time, Heechul growled and roughly released his hold on Yesung’s collar.

“He may be strong, but so was my sister.” He hissed and turned to a group of guards, “We search for him at sunrise.”

“Yes, sir!”

Youngwoon heaved a sigh as they watched Heechul stomp away, the redhead’s fists clenched tightly on his sides. He ran a hand down his face and turned to Yesung with an apologetic smile.

“Sorry for all the commotion,” He watched Heechul’s retreating back, “But please understand, Hyukjae is the only family he has left.”

Yesung only nodded, straightening his clothes but paused. “I trust him. He’ll be back.”

Youngwoon cracked a smiled and clamped his shoulder.

“That guy is stubborn as hell, he won’t die so easily.”

 

 

 

“You’re going to be the ing death of me!”

The blonde rolled his eyes, “Well, how do you expect me to do things properly with that thing in my face?”

“I didn’t ask for your help!”

“I didn’t ask you to shove your tongue down my throat either!” He huffed, “Now, stay still.”

Hyukjae groaned, trying his best to ignore the lingering sensation on his lips and kept his claw aimed at the ice dragon’s neck as he came closer to examine the gash on Hyukjae’s arm. The blonde was unrelenting and adamant on fixing Hyukjae’s wing, tackling him to the ground and sitting on his stomach to make sure he wouldn’t escape.

“Get the off me, blondie.” He threatened, “Now.”

“Stop thrashing around!”

“I said get off!”

“God, you’re such a hothead.”

Hyukjae gasped as the hand he used to aim his claw was swatted away and pinned down, the blonde on top of him coming even closer to examine the wound. He shivered, biting back a moan at the breath that escaped those thin lips, hitting his neck and wafting his senses that were still very much awake since the sudden… since he suddenly…

.

That kiss was hot.

“So, is that what you fire dragons do?” The blonde spoke softly, raising a hand over the gash.

“What?”

“Is that what you do…” He keeps his gaze on Hyukjae’s wound, a blue light glowing from his palms, “kiss random strangers?”

Hyukjae winces and watches in silence as the cut on his arm closes, skin mending back together under the oddly small palm. It was cold at first, but it didn’t take long for the pain to subside and soon, the weight on his stomach was lifted and Hyukjae sat up, examining his healed arm in amazement.

“How did you—” He looked up with wide eyes but the blonde quickly turns away from him, walking up to the entrance of the cave.

The ice dragon closed his eyes and took a deep breath before extending his arms to the ground where a strong haze of freezing mist solidified, slowly closing the entrance with a solid wall of ice. Inst

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter