chapter one

Iceflare
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

“Have you found everything to your liking?”

Crimson red eyes regarded him lazily before shifting back to the throng of people dressed in their best clothes and dancing about the ballroom, lace hanging from elaborate gowns scraping the tiled floors as women move their bodies to the music, sending sultry looks toward the center of the room where he sat at his throne. Hyukjae leaned into his gloved fist that rested against his pale cheek, jet-black hair sweeping over his eyes as he scanned the room with little interest.

He waved off the waiter after grabbing his glass of red wine and swirled the liquid in the goblet before pressing it against his lips. Hyukjae was aware of the heated gazes that watched his every move, or rather the ruby red pendant that hung around his neck.

It was one of the rare times that the castle gates were opened to humans. But the unspoken fear and intimidation still colored the air as they dared to enter the dragon lair, all in hopes to capture the heart of one Lee Hyukjae.

“Bored as ?”

“Damn right.” He leaned back and glanced at Heechul who stood with an elbow against the top of his throne, “You said these humans would be beautiful.”

“They are. Your standards are just too ing high.”

“They’re all too… desperate.” Hyukjae waved him off, “It’s disgusting.”

“Oh, but it's a chance at becoming the mate of Southern Kingdom’s most powerful dragon—I’d understand if they start getting a bit clammy.” Heechul rolled his eyes when he received only a grunt in response, “Maybe taking a look around might help? You can’t see all the good stuff if you just sit here, you lazy bastard. Meet the ladies, flaunt your assets! Dance a little!”

“Relax,” Hyukjae downed his glass of red wine and stood, “the Red Moon is still high, don’t get your in a twist.”

“Tch.”

Heechul scoffed and watched him walk towards the crowd, blue coat on his shoulders with its sleeves hanging loosely along his thighs.

“Stop wearing your damn coat like it’s a cape!”

Hyukjae didn’t even bother to look back and raised his middle finger.

 

 

 

It had been almost 50 years since the war between Fire and Ice, ended by a sudden blizzard that plagued and surrounded the ice dragons, sealing them into the Northern Kingdom. Neither troops could fly past the torrent of winds, and after weeks of no movement from the opposing side, the fire dragons called for a ceasefire. They began to regroup, rebuilt the castle, the kingdom, and held a proper burial for all the lives lost in battle—their very own Queen included.

Many feared how young Hyukjae would take her death, but he handled it surprisingly well and took it upon himself to rule in her place. He completely changed the system, disregarded the tradition of royalty, slightly redecorated the castle and its rules, and absolutely refused to be called Prince. Servants were no longer required to wear uniforms, town gates were opened to humans who needed shelter and even provided houses appropriate for their size. Soon, Hyukjae had become fascinated with inventions of the modern world and ordered Yesung to bring in all sorts of guns and all sorts of cars.

Rumor says that ice dragons still exist past the thick blizzard; others say Hyoryu, their dragon god, cursed them for their sins, but after many years, they were reduced to mere fairytales and myths. The thought of dragons that didn’t breathe fire soon became absurd.

Nonetheless, Hyukjae refused to put his guard down and kept the Southern Kingdom’s perimeter secure.

“If you’re worried about the Wall, I checked it myself.”

He sighed, “How can you be so sure?”

“Hey,” Youngwoon smiled and wrapped an arm around his shoulder, “when have I ever let you down?”

Hyukjae raised an eyebrow.

“Okay, don’t answer that.” He pulled him out of the corner, “But come on, Hyuk, loosen up a bit! This is your night!”

“Did Heechul send you?”

“What? No— hi, ladies! Splendid night, isn’t it?— I saw you pacing around in a corner— I’ll take this drink, thank you— when you should be keeping your eyes wide open for you-know-who! The red moon isn’t going to be up forever, you know!”

The crowd quickly made way for the two as they barreled down the center of the room. A lot of the humans present that night came for the sole purpose of seeing the Southern castle in person, the majestic pillars and high ceilings made for the size of dragons, giant curtains laced in red and of course, seeing the prince himself.

Hyukjae rarely visited the towns in his human form, preferring rather to fly across the kingdom skies and check on everything from there. This was a rare opportunity to see him in flesh, and they all soaked up the image of his pale jaw that rested snug against a black turtleneck, his piercing red eyes and the famous ruby pendant that had yet to glow.

“There’s no one, Youngwoon.” Hyukjae frowned as he maneuvered to the balcony, “Believe me, I’ve tried going around but all the women keep pressing up against me, waiting for my ruby to glow and all the men smell of liquor and probably haven’t bathed in a week.”

“Are you sure it’s not just the human stench?”

“Yes! I’m sure!” he growled, canines protruding from behind his lips.

“Okay, okay!” Youngwoon raised his hands in de

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter