January 12

Not Expecting That!

Today is Kyungsoo’s birthday, and, being a socially awkward person, no one in his school seems to care about it. It’s okay for him, because it’s been this way since a long time ago. But somehow, at his 17th birthday, he wants some kind of miracle to happen.

Especially if it has something to do with Kim Jongin. The school’s favorite boy.

As usual he sits far in the front of the class, surrounded by some other boys who Kyungsoo assumed to be his close friends. Laugh and chatter echoing in the class, with slight mocks and swear words. Gosh his laugh is adorable. And Kyungsoo, sitting far in the back, as usual just admiring him. Wait, did he actually use the word admiring?

Kyungsoo doesn’t know since when he starts feeling all cramped and weak and butterflies everywhere everytime he sees him. Maybe since the day he was transfered to this new school and Jongin is the first person who came up to him and greet him. His smile was so welcoming, accompanying his bright, straight teeth and the cresents formed in his eyes are cute. His voice soft but firm. Not to forget, his almost-perfect posture that makes the school’s uniform looks even more attractive. His dark skin is actually pretty unique. Oh man.

But after that, nothing much has happened. Jongin is pretty much occupied by his close friends everyday and Kyungsoo is too shy to approach him even just to say hi. Good thing is, they’ve been paired for assignments for several times (and on moments like that Kyungsoo felt like crying of happiness)

And he still can’t get over the fact that their birthdays are close; Jongin’s birthday is in two days. Isn’t that a kind of meant-to-be? He knows this by the colorful “BIRTHDAYS” poster that listed the class’ birthdays, attached on a wall in the class because obviously Kyungsoo doesn’t have the courage to ask it directly.

I wish I wasn’t an awkward penguin.

Kyungsoo shakes his thoughts off when he heard the bell rings, a sign that the last class is over (or in this case, the free period, because his Physics teacher is absent and there’s no substitute. Kyungsoo is happy because basically he can stare at Jongin for one whole hour)

When everybody in the class gets up from their seats, their Chemistry teacher, Mr. Kim, walks in. So everyone immediately get back to their own seats.

Mr. Kim stands still in front of the class until the class is silent. Then he opens his mouth to speak. “For those whose name are written in the whiteboard, please stay here to do extra work because your final scores are not satisfactory.”

He turns to the whiteboard to write the names.

  1. Do Kyungsoo (ugh he hates Chemistry)

  2. Kim Minseok

  3. Kim Jongin

  4. Park Chanyeol

  5. Zhang Yixing

The class is filled with shouts and cheers, the grunts are rather muffled. But all Kyungsoo can think is:

OH

MY

GOD

DID I---

OMG I GET TO STAY WITH JONGIN LONGER

Why am I like this....

Well okay that means Kyungsoo has to do another Chemi stuff. Okay whatever.

The rest of the class rush towards the door, leaving those five in. Mr. Kim then gives each of them a sheet of paper full with questions.

“You can go home after you’ve finished it. Submit it to my office before 4 p.m.”

Kyungsoo received the paper and after he read it quickly, he gets pretty nervous because there are some difficult questions. He then sighs. Okay. At least I get to see Jongin more. Okay.

Minutes has passed, and everyone has done, leaving only Kyungsoo and Jongin. For some reasons he wondered why Jongin has to do extra work because he thought he’s pretty good at Chemistry. He’s like Mr. Kim’s favorite student and there was once he achieved five As in a row. Not only Chemistry, he’s basically good in any Science subjects; and apparently he’s enjoying them. Kyungsoo remembered once they got paired for Biology lab project and he was literally jumping and said “oh my, I love Biology so much!” as he squeezed Kyungsoo’s arms. Oh, has Kyungsoo mentioned that Jongin looks REALLY good in a lab coat?

 “Hey,” a familiar voice echoed near Kyungsoo’s desk, breaking his train of thoughts.

Kyungsoo looked up to meet a face he usually choose not to see longer than ten seconds beacuse it’s too good. WHY IS JONGIN HERE??!?

“Uhm, hi,” Kyungsoo answers nervously. ohmygoshohmygosohmygosohmygosh

“Need help?”

“No, thanks..” Kyungsoo glanced down again, can’t bear the beautiful face and posture. “I’ve only got one question left.”

“I’m pretty sure it’s number 5, right? I kinda struggled there hehehe” Gosh that frikin laugh.

“Y-Yeah,”

Jongin rubs the back of his neck while he’s looking to his right. “Well... I.. I’m done with my work.. So I can help you if you want.”

“Uhm,”

Before Kyungsoo can say anything, Jongin drops his backpack and takes a seat next to him right away. Kyungsoo chokes an air at the movement and almost forgot to breathe.

“So basically,” he fidgets closer and points his finger to the paper. JONGIN YOU’RE JUST INCHES APART FROM ME WHY HELP. “You have to change this reaction first. So it will create an alternate reaction. Eliminate the same compound. Then I’m sure you can do the rest,”

“Oh, I see. Let me try,” Kyungsoo calms himself then writes down the formula and answers and you know, stuffs like that.

As Kyungsoo solves the question, he notices that the silence is too awkward and unbearable. Heart beating fast, Kyungsoo tries to make a small talk. “Anyways, why are you doing extra work? I thought you do well in Chem.”

“I don’t really know... I probably screwed up horribly at chapter 4 and 6. I hate those both,” he shrugs.

“I see.”

Kyungsoo continues his work. He struggles too much for such question; probably an effect caused by Jongin sitting a little too close to him. And somehow he felt like Jongin is staring at him. No, no, that’s just Kyungsoo’s over-sensitive sense. After a bit scratches here and there, he’s done.

He lifts his paper and looks at it with pleasure. “Phew, it’s finally done,” he exhales. He puts the paper down to stuffs his stationery back to the pencil case, then to his backpack.  He double-checks his desk to make sure he didn’t left anything behind before picking up his bag and standing up. “Thanks, Jongin-ssi,” he slightly bows to him.

Jongin chuckles . “It’s cool. And whoa, you don’t need to be that formal,” he picks up his backpack from the floor, then switches his sight to Kyungsoo. “We’re just two days away right?” he winks.

Kyungsoo smiles with his eyes looking  to the ground to hide his warm and blushed cheeks. While he just stands there, he sees Jongin’s shoes are just inches apart from his. What is he doing??

“Happy birthday, Do Kyungsoo,” suddenly Jongin leans closer and left a quick kiss on Kyungsoo’s forehead. The latter froze and his already-big eyes grow even bigger. Kyungsoo is sure that his heart stopped for some miliseconds before pounding again like crazy. Puzzled, he took a deep breath and he slowly looks up to make sure what’s going on.

Instead of returning Kyungsoo’s gaze, he steps back as he sends a smile. Jongin then just turn and walk away, leaving a really confused Kyungsoo behind.

WHAT

JUST

HAPPENED?!?!

 

 


a/n: cliffhanger much? bwahahahahahahaah. wait for the next chapter. will be posted on Jongin's birthday ;D

and i know that reaction part Jongin's talking about doesn't make any sense because i hate chemistry myself