Wishing On A Falling Star

Wishing On A Falling Star

Kangin had never seen a falling star before. In fact, he never even bothered to look up at the night sky. But tonight had been different. He sat at the rooftop and watched the stars. He wanted to see a falling star because they say if you wish on a falling star, your wish would come true and right now, there’s a wish that he wanted to come true so badly.

On the first night, he didn’t see a falling star. The next night he still didn’t see a falling star. Since then, he made it a habit to sit on the rooftop and watch the stars. He told himself that he won’t stop doing this until he would finally see a falling star. He was starting to lack more sleep. During his star gazing, he would fall asleep on the rooftop leaving his bed cold and empty.

Kangin’s seatmate, Yesung, noticed how Kangin’s eye bags were getting darker and bigger. He also noticed that Kangin had been falling asleep during classes lately. Because Kangin doesn’t know what happened during class, Yesung would write down notes for him and let him even cheat at Yesung’s paper if the teacher decided to give them a surprise test immediately after the discussion.

“Kangin, I don’t know what you do at night that makes you tired and sleepy during the day but you’ve got to stop it. It’s not good for your health and your studies.” Yesung decided that he should reprimand Kangin hoping that Kangin would change his ways.

Kangin stayed silent for a while before he decided that Yesung was a good friends so it should probably be okay to tell him everything. “I want to wish on a falling star but no matter how many hours I stay awake at night hoping to see a falling star…I just couldn’t.”

That night was different. Kangin went to the rooftop as usual but he found Yesung sitting with a blanket. “What are you doing here?” Kangin wondered how Yesung ended up on the rooftop of his house.

“I guess you haven’t noticed that we’ve been neighbors after all this time.” Yesung pointed at the rooftop of his own house being connected with rooftop of Kangin’s house. “I’m here to help you get more sleep. I’ll watch out for a falling star while you sleep. I’ll wake you up when I see a falling star.”

That plan didn’t sound bad at all. For the next few nights, Yesung stayed awake to watch out for a falling star while Kangin sleeps beside him at the rooftop. Kangin’s health was starting to improve and so did his studies while Yesung was starting to fall behind both in sleep and studies.

“Now our situation has been reversed.” Kangin said as he noticed that Yesung kept on yawning. “You should get some sleep tonight. I’ll just watch out for a falling star myself.”

“Kangin, what’s your wish?”

“Huh?”

“You wanted to wish on a falling star right? Let me be your falling star. Tell me your wish and I’ll make it come true for you.”

“My wish is really not possible.”

“I’ll decide on that after hearing what your wish is.”

“I wish for Eeteuk to fall in love with me.”

Truthfully, Yesung wasn’t Kangin’s neighbor. He wasn’t even human. He was a falling (or rather a fallen) star. His job was to grant a wish of the person who had seen him falling from the sky. But after doing his last job, he decided to take on a short leave and stayed on Earth. He liked mingling with humans. He wanted to experience how to live like a human so he enrolled in a school then eventually had taken a liking towards his seatmate named Kangin. His feelings for Kangin were developed as they started to spend more time together. That’s why he felt hurt and disappointed after hearing that Kangin liked someone else to the point of staying awake at night to wish on a falling star for Eeteuk to fall in love with him.

“I’ll be your falling star. I’ll make Eeteuk fall for you.” Yesung started to regret asking about Kangin’s wish but he won’t back out on his words. Tonight, he will be Kangin’s falling star.

That night Kangin didn’t see Yesung on the rooftop. He thought that Yesung probably took his advice and slept in tonight. Kangin sat and watched the stars. Lately, Yesung had always been here with him so it felt different without him this time. He felt cold and lonely because Yesung would usually bring a blanket and sometimes a pillow but he liked using Yesung’s leg as a pillow rather than the pillow itself. Just when he was beginning to feel sleepy and starting to fall asleep, he had finally seen what he had always been looking for…a falling star.

The next day, Yesung was absent but before Kangin could wonder more about Yesung’s absence, Eeteuk had approached and confessed to him early in the morning. They immediately became a couple. Since then, Kangin believed that wishing on a falling star was true.

Even though his wish already came true, Kangin didn’t stop from going to the rooftop at night. This time he would simply watch  and appreciate the beauty of the stars as they twinkle on the night sky. But his real reason was to wait and hope that Yesung would show up. Yesung had been absent for 3 days now. On the 4th day of Yesung’s absence, Kangin decided to ask his classmates if they know anything about Yesung’s absence.

“What are you talking about? Who’s Yesung?”

“Yesung. My seatmate. The guy who always wear star dangling earrings.”

“I don’t know who you are talking about. We don’t have a classmate named Yesung. You never had a seatmate. The seat right next to you had always been empty.”

Kangin thought that his classmates were just fooling him so he went to his class adviser to ask about Yesung. The teacher said that there is no one named Yesung in the class record. After classes, Kangin immediately went to his neighbor’s house because he remembered Yesung telling him that they were neighbors but he found out that there was only a childless old couple living in the house. They don’t know anyone that goes by the name of Yesung.

“Kangin, what do you usually do at night that caused you to be tired and sleepy during the day? Don’t even mention the word ‘study’ because I know that you don’t. Your grades are starting to fall.” Eeteuk was worried about his boyfriend’s situation.

Kangin remained silent. He didn’t know why he didn’t want to tell Eeteuk when he instantly told Yesung about his secret. Eeteuk remained persistent and kept on asking him until Kangin decided to tell him just a small bit of information. “I watch the stars.”

Eeteuk laughed but stopped when Kangin glared at him. “You were actually serious? Then let me watch the stars tonight with you.”

“No.” Kangin felt that watching the stars was a private moment that was only meant for him alone or with Yesung. He just can’t imagine having anyone else there.

“Why not? If you really aren’t doing anything bad, then you should allow me. Or maybe you actually have someone else to watch the stars with you?”

“Yes and I think I prefer that someone over you.” It was blunt and careless. Kangin realized that he didn’t really like Eeteuk as much as he thought of when they still weren’t a couple. Eeteuk just felt that Kangin didn’t care much about him. That’s how they broke up.

Kangin continued to watch out for a falling star at night. He has a different wish now. He wished to be able to meet Yesung again. “They say that you don’t exist. Am I going crazy?” He was drinking soju while staying at the rooftop and watching the stars. “Where are you, Yesung?” Just when he was about to pass out from being drunk, he saw a falling star. “I wish you were here with me right now.”

Yesung landed on the rooftop. A blanket magically appeared on his hand. He placed the blanket over Kangin’s shivering form. Then he placed Kangin’s head on his lap. It wasn’t too long ago when they used to do this but it felt as if years went by. He wished he could stay until Kangin wakes up but he can’t because he have to go back to work and to grant other people’s wishes.

“You shouldn’t be drunk when you make a wish.” Yesung scolded the sleeping form even though he knew Kangin wasn’t listening. “It’s been quite a while since we’ve talk or seen each other. I really wanted to have a nice conversation with you.” He said softly and sighed as he ran his fingers through Kangin’s hair.

Then it was time to leave. Yesung placed Kangin’s head on a pillow that magically appeared. As a falling star, Yesung doesn’t always fall on the same place. He was also assigned to different skies in Asia. His next area is China. He doesn’t know when he will be assigned again to Korea. “I’ll miss you.” Yesung whispered before placing a light kiss on Kangin’s lips. Then he left.

Right after Yesung left, Kangin opened his eyes. He felt the soft pillow under his head and the warmth of the blanket that covered his body. He instantly knew that it was from Yesung. But where is he now? Kangin looked up at the stars and wondered.

THE END

A/N:  Finally made an angst fic!  Whenever I read this, I keep on thinking that there should be a sequel with a happy ending but then that would defeat my purpose of making an angst fic XD  It's been years (I wrote this March 2009) and I still haven't written a sequel for this so maybe it really is meant to be angst~ would you convince me otherwise?  Comments please?