The First Meeting

WGM: The Season of EXO

It was beyond Luhan to understand why people would want to act all lovey-dovey with a stranger simply for a reality show. It puzzled him even more to know that Lay, his fellow bandmate and best friend, was even a little jealous of the current “couple”. Of course, being the manly man that he is, Luhan didn’t stick his nose into other people’s business, and so he never asked Lay why. However, it was starting to bother him a little when Lay started forcing him to watch “We Got Married” episodes whenever they had free time between their busy schedules.

Luhan cringed at the thought,

My free time, He complained in his mind, my precious free time.

He pouted as he looked at Lay, the younger with his eyes shining in admiration and burning with jealousy at the same time. They were watching the new episode of the goddamned show that just aired today, and Lay had immediately dragged him into their room to watch it as soon as he heard the news.

But we just got back from a radio, Luhan thought, I’m so tired. And it’s already two in the morning…

“Let me sleep…” He mumbled as he tried his best to keep his eyelids open.

A small laughter was heard from Lay,

“Wait, this is almost over,” he whispered, and leaned closer to the small computer screen, “you can hold on for five more minutes, can’t you?”

“I’m not very sure…”

However, his response was ignored by Lay, who was engrossed in the show, with his eyes enlarging by the minute.

Luhan yawned for the hundredth time today, and just when he was going to give up on the world and go to sleep, Lay suddenly raised his voice,

“Oh Gods... Luhan, take a look at this.” He urged the older with much excitement in his voice, and tilted the screen towards Luhan.

It was paused on a fancy ad of sorts, and Luhan thought nothing special of it at first. But after Lay nagged at him to pay attention and read the words, Luhan couldn’t really refuse.

“Hello, this is WGM’s staff team,” Luhan read out loud with a monotone, his eyelids fluttering closer and closer, “And due to the mass amount of requests we have been receiving, we are proud to announce a new season of WGM-”

“Come on, put more emotion into it,” Lay interrupted, poking at Luhan’s shoulder.

Luhan yelled with all the energy he had left, “WE ARE PROUD TO ANNOUNCE A NEW SEASON OF-”

“Wait, wait. Actually, just read normally please.” Lay butted in once again.

Luhan shot him a glare, but continued to read off the glowing screen nonetheless, “...A new season of WGM which is based on the majority of votes we get from Kpop fans. Which means the fans will all vote for a couple they like the most, and the one that gets the most votes will be our new couple for the season. Regardless of band, company, and…” Luhan stopped, and he had to blink twice to make sure he wasn’t hallucinating,

“...And gender?!”

 

And then, there was silence.

 

Lay was the first to speak, “I don’t know if I should be excited about this anymore…”

“Huh," Luhan mumbled, “But why did they put that last sentence there? It gives off a bad feeling.”

“You know something’s gonna go wrong when our fates are placed into our fans’ hands,” Lay chuckled, and closed his computer, “I mean, I love them and everything, but their ideas about us idols can get a bit...creepy.”

“Creepy is the word.” Luhan agreed.

He’s been aware of how the fans pair him up with other idols. Honestly, Luhan didn’t mind at first, but when M-Rated stories of him and other male idols started going around, Luhan started feeling just a bit awkward around the people who he had been supposedly “paired up” with in those stories.

Heck, two weeks ago there was this story of him and Lay, and Luhan was too scared to even click on the title. However, Lay was being brave, and he said that he would read it when he found enough time.

A few days later, Lay had ran into their room with his eyes blank. And he didn’t talk to Luhan for two days after that.

But now Lay has gotten over it, and they were back to being best friends again. Although Luhan could notice how Lay cut back on the usual skinship with all the members, regardless of on or off the stage.

Lay was quite an innocent boy, and Luhan wanted to keep it that way.

“At first, before I got to the last bit. I thought that I might actually have a chance of getting on the show with another female idol, but now...I don’t think I want to go on it at all.” Lay muttered as he quickly jumped on his bed, “Ah… this is the worst… “

Luhan silently cheered in his heart for the sleep break despite the unsettling ad, and climbed into his own bed. He sighed contently as Lay reached out to close the lights.

The darkness was comforting, and Luhan managed to push away all his worries before he finally closed his eyes, and dove into a deep sleep.


 

The first thing that Luhan had heard in the morning was not one of Lay’s gentle wake-up calls, but Chanyeol screaming his head off. Luhan wasn’t sure if it was because of excitement, or extreme fear.

Because of his bad mood in the morning, Luhan hoped it was the latter.

As he got dressed and walked out of his room with a horrible bedhead and an extreme lack of sleep, he saw Chanyeol running around the living room like the crazed happy virus that he was, and a very annoyed-looking Kris at the kitchen table.

Luhan made his way slowly into the living room, and plopped down on one of the sofas as he tried to catch what Chanyeol was yelling about.

“-OH GODS I’M GOING TO BE MARRIED TO DARA-NOONA! OH GODS I’M GOING TO BE MARRIED TO-”

“Wait,” Luhan interrupted, his voice cracking a little, “you’re going to be married?”

“No he isn’t,” Kris replied from the kitchen, sipping his coffee and shooting death glares at the giant, “He apparently saw this ad from that show...’We Got Married’, and now he’s convinced that the fans are going to vote for him and Dara-sunbaenim to get married.”

“LUHAN-HYUNG THIS IS SERIOUSLY GOING TO HAPPEN, I SWEAR! DARA-NOONA AND I ARE FATED, FATED I TELL YOU!” Chanyeol yelled in his face, and resumed his crazed dancing.

“I bet he got kicked out of K’s dorm,” Kris continued after attempting to throw an empty water bottle at Chanyeol, “probably because he was being so goddamn annoying, and now he’s here to bother M.”

“I’M JUST HERE TO BRING EVERYONE THE GOOD NEWS!”

“What good news?” A sleepy voice asked from behind Luhan, and he recognized it as Chen’s. Chen has been sleeping on the couch lately because his roommate, Xiumin, has caught a cold. And Luhan felt a little bit embarrassed to know that he was still surprised whenever he heard Chen’s voice on the couch.

“I’M GOING TO BE MARRIED TO-”

“Alright, Park Chanyeol, we get it.” Kris suddenly snapped, standing up from the chair and slamming his coffee cup down on the table, “if you want to show off and tell everyone how you’re going to be married to Dara-sunbaenim, go ahead, I don’t care. But do it somewhere else where I can’t hear you. We’ve just gotten back from a very late schedule last night, unlike K. And there’s still people sleeping. Now either get the out or I will kick you out.”

“...Fine,” Chanyeol muttered after a few moments, “but you’re not gonna be invited to our wedding!” he yelled one last time before he slammed the door shut with a loud bang.

Kris sighed as he sat down again, rubbing his temple, “Honestly, Suho’s gotta control his kids better...”

“I bet Tao’s awake now,” Luhan muttered as he walked over to the fridge to get some milk, “the kid’s always been a light sleeper.”

“Oh ,” Kris cursed loudly as he stood up again, running towards his room, “he said he was gonna kill me with his wushu stick if I woke him up early today!”

As he heard the door open and close, Luhan felt his stomach grumble.

“What about Lay-hyung?” Chen asked with a weak voice.

Luhan chuckled, “It’s fine,” he poured some cold milk into his glass, “nothing can wake him unless he wakes up by himself.”

“Huh…”Chen murmured, “well, I’m too lazy to go check up on Xiumin-hyung…so might as well stay here.”

“You’re lucky that today’s our free day,” Luhan said as he grabbed two slices of bread from the cupboard and stuffed one into his mouth, “if it was any other day, you would have had to wake up an hour early just to prepare Xiumin’s medicine and food.”

“True,” Chen muttered in response, and Luhan heard the squeak of the younger’s slippers, “I’m a lucky guy…”

“Hm, you want some bread?” Luhan asked, “I think it’s the last piece. I took one for Lay, sorry.”

“No, it’s fine,” Chen replied, looking more tired than ever, “save it for Xiumin-hyung. I need to go for my morning walk anyways, might as well stop by a cafe while I’m at it.”

“You want me to go with you?” Luhan asked, quickly finishing his piece of bread.

Chen shook his head, “It’s fine, I can take care of myself… I’ll just go wash up and change.”

Luhan watched as Chen strolled towards the washroom, and for some reason, he felt a bit sorry for his dongsaeng.

They’ve been traveling back and forth between China for months, and sometimes they’d even end up eating breakfast in China and dinner in Korea. The Chinese members were used to it, because they were born in China and knew enough of both cultures to be able to adjust quickly, but it was harder for the Korean members to get used to the Chinese food and people. Luhan noticed the longing gazes Chen and Xiumin sometimes cast at the TV when they were in China, the two had always switched to a channel in Korean, and sometimes they might even be able to see EXO-K, their sub-group, on television. Because of the sudden changes in environment, the Korean members get sick very easily, and sometimes are unable to perform.

And that’s when the guilt settled in.

Luhan sometimes thought of what would have happened if the Chinese members didn’t become trainees in SM. Maybe EXO would have became a whole, 8 member boy-group in Korea, maybe Chen and Xiumin wouldn’t have had to be sick so often, maybe-

“Hyung?”

Luhan snapped out of his trance, and looked at Chen, whose hair was combed nicely and dressed in a T-shirt and sweatpants. His dear dongsaeng didn’t seem to notice that Luhan had been standing in the same spot for ten minutes, thinking.

“Yes?” he replied as he set down his empty glass.

“Do you need anything? I could stop by the convenience store on my way back.”

Luhan smiled, “I think we need more bread… and possibly some coke.”

“I see… I’ll just go get my wallet then-”

“It’s fine, Chen-ah, pay with my money,” Luhan quickly interrupted, and made his way towards his room.

“But hyung…”

Luhan chuckled as he turned the doorknob, “I’m the hyung, remember? I should at least able to do something like this for my dongsaeng.”


 

After Chen had left for his morning walk, mumbling about how he didn’t need Luhan to pay, the older felt quite lonely in the dorm. Kris wasn’t coming out of his room, and Luhan presumed that he had fallen asleep again. And he didn’t want to risk the chance of Wushu-Panda Tao getting up along the way. Waking up Xiumin was out of the question; he was sick, and Luhan isn’t heartless enough to wake a patient when they’re still recovering.

And that left him with the impossible: waking up Lay, otherwise known as Zhang-Yi-Xing-Who-Must-Not-Be-Awakened.

Luhan sighed, if he had thought about this a little clearer, maybe he would have just tagged along with Chen no matter what the younger said. Luhan was a outgoing and cheerful person, but one can’t exactly be outgoing with themselves, and so Luhan was stuck in a dilemma.

To wake him up, or to not wake him up.

After a few minutes of mental debate with himself, Luhan decided to just go for it, and get Lay out of the bed.

I’ve got nothing to lose, Luhan thought to himself encouragingly as he entered their shared room, and I’ve done harder things...right?

Unfortunately, Luhan was quite sure that this is one of the hardest things he has ever done.

Despite how angelic and peaceful of a sleeper Lay may look like, he was sure hell to wake up. Luhan shook, tickled, jumped, and even yelled (as quietly as possible), but all seemed to be useless against the sleeping dancer.

Luhan sighed. Now he was sure that he’s going to be alone in the dorm for at least the first half of the day.

 

Ding Dong

 

Surprised by the sudden visitor, Luhan jumped up from Lay’s bed and ran to the door, but before he could open it, he stopped.

Chen has a pair of keys, Luhan thought, And so does manager hyung. Could it be Chanyeol? Or another K member? ...No, they would just yell at us through the door. Then…who is it…?

Luhan hesitantly opened the door, and was surprisingly greeted by dozens of MBC staff, all with their professional equipment and...were those bags of clothes?

“Um...Hello.” Luhan greeted them polite and he nodded his head. EXO never really had any interactions with MBC Variety shows, and so Luhan was very confused as to why they where here. Without EXO’s manager nonetheless.

Various greetings and introductions were heard from the small crowd, and a man around his forties stepped forward, and shook Luhan’s hand with much enthusiasm.

“Hi there, I’m Jeon Seong Ho, a MBC staff member and director.’”

“Ah, hello. I’m Luhan, from EXO-M.” he quickly replied.

Mr. Ho chuckled, “The whole country knows who you are; EXO has really been the hottest thing lately... But I’m not here for the group EXO.”

“Oh, then are you perhaps looking for one of our members?” Luhan asked rather quietly, regretting that he had not made more of an effort to wake Lay up. This would have been much less awkward if he had his best friend. “I’m sorry sir, but one of us is currently doing his morning exercises, and the rest are...well, they’re sleeping .”

“Well, that’s perfectly fine. I was actually looking for you, Luhan-ssi.”

“Me?” Luhan questioned with a shocked expression, “but why?”

He was fairly sure that he had almost no contact whatsoever with the MBC staff, and he couldn’t recall if he did anything heroic enough to have an entire filming crew at the entrance of his dorm.

“Hm...to make a long story short, we brings news,” Mr. Ho replied, looking a bit thoughtful, “but it’s up to you to decide whether it’s good or bad.”


 

Luhan held the corner of his T-shirt just a bit tighter as Mr.Ho ordered his crew around the dorm, setting up cameras and lights. The Chinese boy was quite nervous, and really lost; he had no idea what was going on, and there wasn’t the diplomatic leader, the relaxed dancer, the wushu panda, or even the two Fluent-In-Korean members there to help him. It was only him alone, the Chinese “flower boy”.

“Luhan-ssi, we’re going to do your makeup and wardrobe now, if you don’t mind.” a female makeup-artist told him as she pulled out a few brushes and containers.

He could only nod slowly as they dusted his face with powder and styled his hair, Luhan felt the distinct difference between the amount of makeup today and the other days.

“I don’t understand why they always put such heavy makeup on you,” the woman complained as she fussed around his hair, “you’re the natural beauty type; beautiful with makeup, but even prettier without. It’s really a waste to bury all that under tons of cosmetics.”

I am manly, Luhan thought as he pouted, but thanks for the compliment.

As she did the finishing touches, Luhan felt uncomfortable, he had never really been alone whenever they prepared for camera, and it was weird to have all the attention on him.

“Luhan-ssi, would you like to get changed? We have the outfit ready.”

“A-ah, sure.”

Luhan gingerly took the hanger from her, and left for the washroom to change.

Just as he was about to close the door behind him, he heard Mr.Ho say,

“Please be prepared to go on camera once you finish, Luhan-ssi.”


 

“Hello, this is Jae Seong Ho here, and we are currently at the dorm of EXO-M, along with their stunning visual, Luhan!”

“Hi there, I’m EXO-M’s member, Luhan.” The beautiful boy said, smiling shyly as he did so.

“Well, Luhan-ssi, do you know the exact reason that we are here today?”

He laughed softly, “Haha, no I don’t...it surprised me quite a bit when I opened the door to see a filming crew standing right there.”

“I see, well, it’s fine because I’m going to explain this to you… Let’s see, first of all, I’m going to introduce myself again, I am Jae Seong Ho, the director of the reality show “We Got Married”. And I am here to present good news.”

“Oh, ‘We Got Married’? Well, please do tell.” His eyes glittered, and he tilted his head in curiosity.

“I am proud to announce that you, Luhan from EXO-M, has been selected to be coupled with another idol in our new season!”

“Oh my,” He said, brushing his honey-blonde bangs with his finger, “how did I get picked so quickly? … Is this a hidden camera?”

“No no, I assure you, it is not. But your popularity with the fans are obviously very high, because right after we broadcasted the latest episode last night, votes for you started streaming in like crazy, and our staff were so busy trying to keep track of how many votes you’ve got. Then of course, you won by a large amount, and that’s why we couldn’t help but come to your dorm so early in the morning to deliver the good news!”

The idol nodded in understanding, and let a small giggle escape his lips, “Well, I’m honored. But if I may ask, who is my...er, partner?”

“I’m afraid you will have to find out for yourself, Luhan-ssi.”

“Ah, now you’ve caught my interest,” He smiled, and looked at the camera with his beautiful doe eyes, “well, I guess a wedding is in order.”

“Haha, we look forward to seeing you on the show, please do your best~”

“Of course.” He said softly as he gave a cute wink to the camera, and laughed at his own actions cheerfully.

 

CAPTIONS: “The cute and beautiful deer, Luhan of EXO-M…!”


 

After his manager has been contacted and talked to, Luhan was immediately whisked off in MBC’s van to their building, where he would meet his “partner”.

Isn’t this going a bit too fast…? Luhan asked himself silently, Just two hours ago, I was still in my dorm with Chen, and now I’m being shipped off to meet my ‘other half’ that the fans paired me up with? This is definitely going too fast…

He sighed as he entered the building, his new white coat fluttering behind him.

And what’s with the girly clothes and accessories? Luhan complained in his mind, I thought I clearly stated on almost every variety show that I wanted to be more manly…

The Chinese boy fumbled with the silver butterfly earring dangling from his right ear, and his eyes fluttered down once again to glare at his many bracelets and necklaces. He felt uncomfortable without s… if only there was someone who he knew better.

He was lead to the third floor patio, followed by no cameras.

Thank goodness, Luhan thought, if they have to film an awkward first meeting, I will just die.

“Um, so is this where my…?” Luhan asked hesitantly to Mr.Ho, who was looking more excited by the second.

“Yes, they’re waiting for you on the patio outside, please take your time getting to...know each other better~” He replied happily as he walked away from Luhan, possibly to give him some space.

Luhan sighed in relief, but then tensed again at the thought of who his partner might be.

Please let my pairing be normal, Luhan prayed, although it would be nice if it’s someone I know well and gets along with.

As he carefully pushed open the door to the patio, he saw a figure standing by the railing, with clothes that were very similar in design to his own, except that they consisted of mostly black and grey rather than white… But the figure’s hair color and style was familiar, too familiar…

X-Xiao Lu?!”

That voice.

Luhan froze in shock as he managed to mutter, “S-Sehun?”

Ah, He thought hopelessly as he recognized the boy before him,

It’s someone I know well afterall.


 

Thank you guys soooo much for reading this, it really makes me happy and omigosh the WGM and hunhan feelz T^T