Final

Doppleganger~

"Are you about done in there?" Yongguk called from behind the bathroom door.

Inside stood Kim Himchan, his long pale fingers tucking stray hairs back into his carefully constructed style. Dark brown eyes stared back at him from the reflection in the mirror. The focus of the stare was so intense that Himchan nearly forgot to answer his lover.

"If you're making me go to this costume party, with my hair down, the least I can do it make sure it doesn't look unruly."

Yongguk grumbled, "What happened to you deciding not to care?"

"Oh hush, you're the one that had to be troublesome and make me dress up."

"Because I wanted to do something fun."

"Shopping is-" Himchan paused in mid sentence, eyebrows furrowing in dreadful confusion.

"What?" Yongguk continued, thinking Himchan was skirting the issue.

Himchan stared in disbelief - hands still near his hair - watching as his reflection's hands slowly and deliberately lowered down near its waist. Sleek black eyes gleamed in the reflective glass, devoid of emotion. Himchan sensed a horrible dread filling his chest. He wanted to do something, anything, to separate himself from the mirror, but his body wouldn't budge.

"Yo, Himchan?" Yongguk called out again, and Himchan felt his body jolt.

The supernatural lock his reflection had on him suddenly gone, Himchan was finally able to dash out the door.

The immediate sight of a painted face with strong dark eyes and caramel hair in the darkness of the hallway sent the shock of fear up and down Himchan's spine again.

"What the hell's going on with you?" the face said in Yongguk's familiar voice. The younger man breathed a sigh of relief, then buried his cheek against his lovers's muscular chest.

Yongguk looked down at Himchan, puzzled by his frantic departure from the bathroom, and by the hands now clutching desperately to him. Finally Yongguk realized Himchan was staining his costume with face paint.

"Yo," he called, peeling Himchan away from his body, "what's wrong?"

Frightened brown eyes looked up at him, drowning him in worry. Yongguk brought his hands to Himchan's face in a comforting gesture.

"T-The mirror…i-it…" Himchan stammered as if it was hard for him to get his thoughts together.

"The mirror?" Yongguk repeated.

A shiver racked Himchan's body at the mere thought of it. He didn't want to remember it, or see another mirror again if he could help it. But he had to tell Yongguk, he had to remember.

"T-The mirror…m-my reflection…m-moved on it's o-own."

Upon hearing the claim, Yongguk made an incredulous face, wondering if his lover was duping him. It was Halloween after all, but Himchan's face held a sincere terror. Something had legitimately scared him, or he was an inhumanly good actor. The longer he stared at his face, the more he knew Himchan wanted him to check, so he moved his lover to the side and extended his hand for the door.

Large brown eyes watched in trepidation while Yongguk reopened the door, certain something would jump out in attack. Yongguk walked inside the bathroom without hesitation, studying the large mirror against the wall. Curious, but still scared, Himchan peeked through the doorway. Yongguk stared at his reflection, then waved his hand in front of it. After moving randomly in front of the mirror and spotting nothing out of the ordinary, Yongguk turned to Himchan again.

"Maybe you imagined it," Yongguk suggested, not at all perturbed by the mirror.

"You don't understand…it had me frozen…it was staring at me in this…weird way."

Yongguk snatched Himchans' arm, pulling him inside the room against the younger man's fighting. He forced Himchan in front of him and held him in place. Himchan continued to fight to get away, but escape from his physically stronger boyfriend was nearly impossible.

"Look, Channie," Yongguk urged, "It's just you and me, nothing else."

Despite not feeling too keen on looking up, Himchan was starting to wonder if he did imagine it all. Slowly his head rose to gaze at the mirror. His eyes shifted frantically over every detail of their reflections, searching for something, anything, out of place.

Nothing.

His reflection was his own and so was Yongguk's.

"See, it's nothing," Yongguk continued, his deep voice much closer to Himchan's ear, lips brushing against the skin underneath. He melted instantly into the warmth.

"Y-You're right." Himchan agreed.

"Good now let's go to that party, we're already late."

Yongguk pressed another kiss to his lover's neck before leaving the bathroom. Still wary of the mirror, Himchan rushed after Yongguk.

"Wait for me!"

Youngjae's costume party had been better than Himchan had expected. The drinks had loosened up not only tongue, but his body felt more pliable too. Yongguk had him dancing for what seemed like hours, but he finally managed to detach himself from his lover's hip and heated stares. He was feeling sweaty and wanted to check his hair.

Himchan had to cut and weave through familiar faces to reach Youngjae's restroom, but once inside the spacious retreat, he released a breath he'd been holding since beginning his journey there. He easily stepped into place in front of the wide mirror above the sink and began fixing his hair.

The feeling of déjà vu hit him like a cold punch to the gut, and he quickly dropped his hands back to his side. Freezing ice traveled up and down his back upon remembering the events of his own mirror. Even though his reflection was not deviating from his own actions, he could feel the dread even stronger than before.

Himchan could feel his feet backing up, his hands raising up for his face. He didn't plan where he was going, only that he wanted away from the mirror. The reflection continued to mimic him until suddenly something solid met with Himchans' calves.

A yelp escaped his mouth as he came tumbling backwards into the large tub behind him. While his body was only worse for wear, Himchans' worries weren't lying with how he fell.

His reflection was denying the laws of nature, peering down at him even as he lay out of range of the mirror. The double stared in that emotionless way, eyes black and dead. Himchan opened his mouth to scream, but only soundlessness came out.

It flashed him a small, devious smirk, twisting his face into an expression that wasn't his own. At seeing that, Himchan attempted to sit up, finding that his body was frozen. The smirk of his adversary only grew in dark amusement.

The mirror rippled like water, then two arms of ashen skin flopped out and onto the large sink. As Himchan observed, at the peak of his anxiety, creaky fingers gripped the porcelain, pulling its face through the mirror. Himchan could feel his heart racing, threatening to explode, wishing the thing would go back to where it came. It watched his terror as It contorted its body out of the mirror, the malicious smile never leaving its face.

Yongguk took yet another shot of liquor as he awaited his boyfriend's return. He could feel the alcohol dragging his body down, but he preferred hitting his bed upon passing out instead of the floor.

Finally he spotted the face he was looking for. Yongguk grinned crookedly as he stumbled towards Himchan

"You're not as drunk as I am right now, huh?" Yongguk slurred.

"No," his answer was simple, and silky.

Yongguk flashed his teeth, enjoying the tone in his lover's voice. Himchan stepped up to the older man, pressing his body close, and pressing his lips closer. Yongguk accepted the kiss eagerly, being quickly rewarded with a tongue swirling around his own. He was starting to feel hot for his partner.

"Mmm…help me home," Yongguk moaned into his lips, not sensing anything awry.

Himchans' teasing ended along with the kiss then shifted to Yongguks' side to support him.

"As you wish," came the silky voice again.

 

 

 

-Serenity