Dog food, Petco, Searching {Kai}

Exo Blurbs (2013)

Because, because, because.

Because your best friend was vacationing in Cancun— because her boyfriend had gotten her a puppy as an early Christmas present— because she forgot to give you the puppy’s food when she dropped him off at your apartment—

You’re here a week before Christmas, perched on the balls of your feet, as you debate between the ProActive Health Dry Puppy Food or the Chicken, Whole-wheat rice, and Oatmeal Puppy Food. Both are around the same price, and you know it doesn’t really matter since you’ve only looking after Hercules (a teeny-tiny brown poodle) for a week, but you’re not in a rush, and the struggle is truly real.

The puppy continues to move excitedly to and fro, seemingly trying to tangle itself up between your feet as you set one bag down and pick the other up, turning it over to stare at the ingredients of the dog food.

When your friend had dropped the puppy off, you had to do a double take since it was so small. For the first hour your had been afraid to even pet it since it looked like a toy but very soon after, you realized it was very much real (he had run through the whole apartment, around furniture and under beds, sniffing around, curious).

Since then you’ve grown quite fond of the little thing, and as it neared dinnertime, you made the decision to take him with you to Petco. As long as he was on a leash, it was fine.

The period of reminiscing to this morning is quickly cut short though, as you don’t feel the rhythmic tugging of the leash against your ankles. Looking down, you see that there’s no chocolate poodle pup in the collar anymore. Turning your head, you’researching for the puppy, though by now, it’s probably in vain. The panic sets in quickly, and in your rush, you end up on your behind due to the tangled leash.

Huffing in impatience, you set the dog food down and work on untying yourself from the trap Hercules had set. It doesn’t take too long, and you’re just about to get up on your feet when someone turns down your aisle, familiar poodle puppy in hand. His hold is gentle, and the young man nuzzles the puppy’s nose to his a few times while walking towards you.

"I saw him run out of the aisle…and judging by the leash, I take it he’s your’s?" The male is cradling Hercules to his chest, face to you, and you can tell the puppy is content. He’s got his little tongue stuck out and panting due to his little prison break. "He’s really fast, actually. Took me a little bit of time to track him down."

You sigh in relief as the second the nice stranger sets Hercules down, the dog runs to you, jumping into your lap. Nodding your head in agreement to the person’s words, you put the collar and leash back on Hercules, making sure to tighten the collar by one more notch.

"Yeah…I’m just pet-sitting for my friend and I wasn’t expecting him to make a break for it." Laughing, you try to wish away the blush that’s sure to be on your cheeks. The man has his hands in his slack pockets now, and he gives you a knowing smile.

"Don’t worry about it. I have three poodles. They’re little rascals, all of them." He lifts his hands out of his pockets as one crosses over his abdomen, and the other goes for a handshake. "I’m Jongin, by the way."

The newly identified Jongin is doing what you like to call ‘manner-hands’, the customary, polite, way of greeting people. You return the action, but keep a firm hold on Hercules’ leash. He’s got a warm and strong grip, and you belatedly notice the Petco nametag he has pinned to his shirt. Jongin uses the handshake as a way to pull you back up on your feet.

"Nice to meet you, I’m ____." You tuck a wayward strand of hair behind your ear as you ask, shyly. "You’re not going to chastise me for letting Hercules run—"

Jongin laughs, and the sound is uplifting as he walks closer to you, squatting down to pick up a bag of dog food. “No. I can tell it was by accident. And I wouldn’t ever scold a customer.” He stands, and he towers over you as he pushes the bag into your hands. “I’d go with this brand. It’s good for growing puppies.” A quick glance shows Hercules pawing at Jongin’s slacks, and you smile at the adorable scene.

"He likes you." You start beaming as the puppy starts to jump up, trying to get in between the two of you.

"I like it too." Jongin gives in and picks the little ball of fluff up, pressing a kiss to the top of its head. "Do you…do you live around the area?" He asks this with a quirk of his head, and his bangs fall into his face.

You resist the urge to swipe them aside as you nod. “Yeah I do. Only a few minutes walking distance, actually.”

Both puppy and male seem to perk up at the same time, and you think how strange it is that they’re so in sync. “Really? We should walk our dogs together sometime! My poodles are really sweet and they love smaller puppies.” Jongin is so enthusiastic about the idea that you’re tempted to just say yes right away, but no matter how nice he is, you want to get to know him a bit better before agreeing to anything.

"How about…I come back tomorrow during your shift, and you can give me some advice on puppy treats first."

You’re bracing yourself for some disappointment, but it seems like nothing can dampen Jongin’s mood as long as he has a dog in his arms. “That sounds like a great idea, actually. I work the same shift every weekday, so you can come visit with Hercules anytime. He’s a little angel.” He rubs his cheeks against Hercules’ nuzzle in affection once more before giving the puppy back to you.

Holding him in your arms, you beam right back at Jongin. His smile is infectious, and he continues to chat your ear off to the cash register, holding the dog food in his hands as you cuddle with Hercules.

"And wait til he starts getting his teeth in, it’s simultaneously the worst and cutest experience ever—"