Bouquets & Garters

Rain (under construction)

                                                     


 


Chapter 3: Bouquets & Garters


 

            The cold of winter had passed and the warmth of Spring had arrived. And the party of groomsmen had located themselves in the back rooms of the church where, ironically, all hell was about to break lose. Sungmin was a minute away from having a panic attack while four of his groomsmen, Ryeowook, Jungsu, Kangin and Eunhyuk were trying to calm the distressed groom, following him around the room as he stalked about in a nervous gait. The best man, however, sat on a couch across from them, completely ignoring the ruckus as he typed away on his laptop he had been working on while on his way to the church and now, before the ceremony. No one dared question it, since it was best to leave Kyuhyun finish the remainder of whatever the hell he needed to complete which apparently, was too important that it could not wait until the day after his best friend’s wedding.

“I can’t do this. I-I can’t!” Sungmin stuttered in dismay, a hand over his eyes.   

“Calm down, Hyung. You just have to be strong and get through this.” The soothing voice came from a frail and effeminate man named, Ryeowook as he patted his friend on the shoulder.

“Yeah, it’s not like the end of the world or something. Man up!” Boomed the voice of the groomsman named Kangin who was the picture of masculinity and the polar opposite to the small and compassionate Ryeowook. He stood behind the groom, clapping him hard on the back once for good measure. His reassurance was a stark constrast from Ryeowook's gentle comfort. The eldest young man in the room, Jungsu (fondly nicknamed, Leeteuk by his friends) nodded his blonde head, feathery hair falling into his eyes. “It’s just as Ryeowook said; get passed this hour and its clear sailing from there on out, really. Trust me.”

Sungmin nodded slightly at the married man. Taking his advice into consideration, he relaxed a tad. While Eunhyuk, a rather skinny and awkwards man, slung his arm around the groom’s shoulder in a friendly gesture.“Then we have a break and you just have to get through the rest of the night of a party. We’ll be with you the whole time, right
? I mean, you can’t pick up any chicks or anything like that but it’ll still be a party—ow!” Eunhyuk whined when Kangin’s beefy fist collided with his slender shoulder as a result of his thoughtless commentary. Though Eunhyuk had been well-meaning, his quip served to hit home for the groom. The reappearance of panic to Sungmin’s features came full force and he gripped at the back of a chair, struggling to breathe. Leeteuk and Kangin glared at Eunhyuk while Ryeowook fluttered helplessly around the gasping groom. He patted Sungmin's back while the other groomsmen bickered silently.

“Great job, Hyuk; you sent him into hyperventilation!” Kangin snapped, while Eunhyuk, to his credit, had the decency to look guilty.

Recovering slightly, thanks to Ryeowook's gentle coaxing, Sungmin stood up straighter. “No, he’s right. I have to be beside her all night long, and then for the rest of my life!” He choked out, sounding as if he had been punched straight in the gut. “It’s not just one night, its forever!” He practically shrieked in realization.
 
The groom’s friends flocked around him, all sharing glances that were just concerned enough to still be manly. The three elder groomsmen stood back in that awkward way that men did, when they didn't quite know how or if it was appropriate for them to show sensitivity should it put their masculinity at risk. They tried reminding him to breathe and left the rather motherly Ryeowook, who had no qualms about his masculinity, to spout words of comfort and encouragement. Yet their commotion was silenced by an exasperated voice from the sofa. “You honestly act as if you’re the first person ever to be caught in an arranged marriage.” He stated, tugging off his reading glasses in annoyance as he glanced up from his phone. He was working--still working even on the day of the his best friend's wedding. Sungmin didn't know whether he should be surprised or not anymore. “Being married to her does not mean you are required to love her." He paused, looking up at him as if it what he was saying should be obvious. "You live under the same roof and name. That’s all there is. You can sleep in separate rooms; you don’t even have to see her throughout the say if you so chose. In fact, you can have a woman on the side if you truly can’t stand your marriage to her. You and I both know that in our society, having a mistress behind closed doors is really nothing new.” The indifference with which he held throughout his speech was unnerving and all the boys stared at him in an uncomfortable silence.

Sungmin shook his head vigorously; ready to leap into a defensive argument. “I can’t do that Kyuhyun, you know I—.”

Kyuhyun swiftly cut him off, nodding as he carefully wiping off the lenses of his glasses as he spoke. “Yes, yes. I know that is much too for your taste but putting your delicate nature aside, you’re missing my point. You are in no way obligated to treat her like a lover. She is your partner in marriage just as you would have a partner in business. In the end, that’s all this really is; business.”

Sungmin silently digested this new insight. What Kyuhyun said had made sense in a twisted albeit unfeeling way; he would just have to bear this for now. That’s just what he would do; treat this like this was a business merger or a transaction between companies—act as if nothing is out of the ordinary. Suddenly, it all became so clear to the worried groom. It was so simple. He felt a little stronger and stood a little taller now; remembering why Kyuhyun was the only choice to be his best man.

“That is of course…” Kyuhyun murmured, holding his glasses up to briefly inspect their cleanliness. “…until you have to pass on your bloodline through her with your own offspring. Then, you may have to use a completely different business technique with your partner.” He finished casually as he slipped back on his glasses and continued with his work.

Sungmin fainted right then.




            Sooyoung clutched the exquisite bridal bouquet in her hands and she leaned out on the edge of the wide open window sill. The bouquet’s sweet aroma wafted up to greet her when warm gust of May wind drifted through the room, causing the skirt of her dress (as vibrant a purple as the freshly picked violets in the expensive arrangement) to flutter ever so slightly around her thin frame. Her long ash brown curls danced in the gentle breeze just as it had tousled the fresh leaves in the trees outside. The playful cluster of hand-arranged violets, yellow tulips, golden roses and lace ts and beads were truly a lovely sight.

“Yah, Soo if you drop Sunny’s bouquet out that window—.” There came a sweet but bossy voice.

“I think Sunny has bigger things on her mind than a bouquet on the wedding day of her arranged marriage, Jess.”

            Six months had passed in a whirl of relentless planning and hard work. The three friends (and the rest of Sunny’s bridal party) had worked tirelessly to make the best of the unfortunate situation at hand. Sooyoung and Jessica put their all into making it a happy occasion for their old friend. Sadly, pretty dresses, large halls and expensive flowers didn’t exactly dry Sunny’s tears. Jessica had just entered the room, having left poor Sunny with a bunch of old ladies from both Sunny’s and her future husband’s family who were currently giving her a traditional speech about “being a good wife” (even though their ideas of marriage could be practically branded as slavery); It was more of  pressured  "totally no pressure, but don't screw it up" type speech. 

There was a pause from behind the brunette when she heard Jessica sigh; her heels clicking on the church’s old wooden floors, she walked up beside her to lean against the window sill, craning her neck to gaze out the open window.

“Where are the other girls?” Sooyoung asked. She had wondered where Sunny’s other three bridesmaids and family friends, Yuri, Taeyeon and Yoona disappeared to. Sooyoung found that she quite liked the other girls who remained polite and pleasant each time they met.

The Jung woman shrugged. “They’re making sure everything in place, I guess.”

            Jessica looked stunning, as always. Her light auburn hair had been pulled up into a high and neat bun (spare from her long fringe curled to the side) and her silky violet dress clung perfectly to her slim curves while its sweetheart neckline emphasized her very blessed bust. Sooyoung felt her self-esteem drop a dozen hit-points.

God damn it, Jung.

Putting the annoyance for her best friend’s near constant state of fabulousness aside, she focused on the more important matter at hand; Sunny’s wellbeing. “…How is she right now?” Sooyoung murmured quietly.

There came yet another exhausted sigh from the beauty beside her. “Well, if you count her crying in the shower this morning which, for her sake I am pretending not to have heard, this makes three times. So, all else being considered, not too bad.”

Now, it was the tall brunette’s turn to solemnly sigh. Sunny was miserable and they knew that the two emotional breakdowns were only the tip the ice berg. A sunny, warm May day wasn’t enough to distract her…although she seemed a little less glum whenever she would look at the clear blue skies.  

“We barely finished dressing her before the poor girl was ambushed by a sea of grandmas.” The brunette continued flatly, stabbing a thumb emotionlessly over her shoulder to the room where helpless Sunny was held hostage.

“Those old goats are taking up her last moments with us. If they even dare to force the “grandchildren” topic on her right now, heads will ing roll.” The Jung woman growled under her breath.

            The two jumped slightly when the door to their dressing room in the back of the church burst open and there stood Sunny—a vision in white. Her floor length gown swept across the floors as she entered the room and closed the door behind her. The sleeveless dress was a lovely pearl white that suited her well. Her soft sweetheart neckline showed off the best of her assets (much to Sooyoung’s again rising annoyance) while her bodice, embroidered with silver jeweled beads hugged her slim figure and the fluffy, Cinderella-like skirts seemed to flow gracefully to the floor.

To finish, the back of the dress was laced up tight in the style of a corset. Her honey coloured hair had grown insanely fast out from its pixie cut in three short months and would have curled in bouncy waves at her shoulders had it not been and pulled back into a gorgeous low, curled and braided chignon. Her makeup was flawless. Yet, she did not look like a bride. Sunny did not have that aura, that warm glow of happiness, nerves and excitement that all joyful soon-to-be wives had.

Then again, she wasn’t a happy bride.

She was on the verge of tears (and about to ruin the makeup that had taken far longer than anyone likes this morning). Sooyoung took a wild guess; Jessica jinxed her talk with the old biddies. Wordlessly, she ran to both the girls who enveloped her in a hug.

“Ugh…they just kept telling me about how happy I was going to be spending the rest of my life as his wife and…as a mother. They spoke as if I actually agreed to any of this bull.” Despite her grief, the short blonde shook her head with a bitter laugh and fanned at the tears forming in her eyes in frustration. She was trying not to destroy her makeup but as Jessica insisted since she was wearing waterproof mascara, Sunny let her tears fall and her two best friends struggled not to breakdown along with her.

“Hey…look on the bright side, honey." The leggy brunette began gently, "I know how you were lonely living in America so now that you’ve had to move back her we can always see each other. We’ll help each other through this, right?” Sooyoung murmured as she dabbed at the glum bride’s tears with a tissue. Sunny nodded weakly. “I know…” Sooyoung had to sigh before continuing. “You don’t know him as well as you’d like to but…out of what we do know, he is a good man right? You feel that he’ll treat you well?”

Sunny nodded once more. “I think he will.” She agreed truthfully. “I really don’t know much about him but I’m sure he’s not bad, not from what I can remember anyway," s
he mumbled thoughtfully then added as an afterthought, "He's more of a wreck than me right now from what I hear.” She sniffled and offered her friends a small smile while Sooyoung and Jessica smiled back. They need not explain that if he did mistreat her in anyway, he would be a literal wreck. Any harm that came to Sunny at his hands would mean Sungmin signing his own death-warrant--a sentence that both Sooyoung and Jessica were more than happy to carry out themselves.

            Without much more fuss, they touched up her makeup, straightened out her gorgeous gown and gently placed a small white gold tiara on her head. The tiny diamonds covered the small crown and shone in the bright sunlight pouring in through the open window, casting flashes of rainbow reflections around the room when she moved. It was almost noon and it was time for the wedding to start.

“We’ll be waiting at the end of the isle for you, so we’ll be there for you every step of the way.” An unusually sentimental and emotional Jessica gently Sunny’s cheek.

“You won’t be alone today…not even for a moment. Remember Sunny, this isn’t the end of your life...it’s just a screwed up door to another one.” Sooyoung handed Sunny her stunning bouquet and continued. “We won’t let a few rain clouds hide our little Sunshine, will we?” she murmured affectionately. There was a knock on the door and Lee Sooman stood, smiling at his niece. “Do you girls mind if I have a few last moments with Soonkyu before we start?” He asked politely.

The three girls glanced at each other and nodded. They shared in a tight group hug and kissed each other’s cheeks before Sooyoung and Jessica grabbed their bouquets and left the room, smiling encouragingly at her as they closed the door behind them. “I hope he realizes that he has no right to smile so freely. He’s the one causing her this misery.” muttered Jessica disdainfully.

Sooyoung only sighed.

“I hope she’ll be okay in there…” Jessica murmured in worry. Sooyoung simply nodded along as the slowly started down the hall.

“Hello, girls.” A familiar voice sounded from behind them. Sooyoung froze and the girls both turned. The middle-aged man said, turning his gaze to Jessica. “Sooyeon-sshi. It’s been a long time since we last saw each other. I hope you’re doing well.” He said politely as his gaze then trained back on the tall brunette beside her, although he still addressed Jessica as he spoke.

“If you don’t mind, Sooyeon-sshi…” Sooyoung then remembered that he had never addressed Jessica as anything else but her Korean name throughout her life. “I would like a word alone with my daughter.” Jessica’s eyes widened as she stared between the two, feeling the tension in the air. Sooyoung simply, nodded at Jessica, her firm gaze still on the man opposite to her. The shorter woman simply bowed deeply then walked away, her heels clicking and echoing in the grand halls of the church.

Sooyoung did not speak even though he had said nothing for over a minute now.

He then smiled a smile that made her skin crawl. “My dearest daughter.” He finally broke the silence, spreading his arms our in welcoming, “Long time, no see.” Oh, if he thought she was going to hug him he needed a straightjacket.

“Father.” She deadpanned flatly.

“How is my only daughter, the blood of my blood, my pride and joy?” He paced in slow steps around her and she suddenly felt like a weary animal close to death being circled by a vulture in the desert as he surveyed her with beady eyes.

She was suddenly transported back to her days as a small child. He would always circle around her in this way, like a flying buzzard as he was now; whenever he inspected her appearance, making sure she looked exactly the way he had wanted her to. Her mind traveled back to a similar day in her childhood when she had been wearing a pink plastic bracelet a girl had given her on a public playground on a day she convinced her sweet and young nanny to take her out to a park. She tried to hide the bracelet, really she did but he saw it beneath her sleeves.

            He tore it off her, sending its bundle of small pink beads to the ground and threw the rest in the trash. He told her she looked like a commoner and prohibited her from socializing with someone below her status. He then forbade her to ever visit any public playground again and fired her nanny for good measure. She remembered crying all night in sadness and guilt for her nanny that had to leave her only to be replaced with a strict, harsh and mean older woman to be her nanny. She remembered the crippling loneliness.

Sooyoung balled her hands into fists and fought the oncoming wave of dull anger she felt creeping into her chest. “I’m doing very well.” She said through gritted teeth. She kept her expression stoic even though she felt her stomach churn with anxiety. “Why are you here?” She asked disdainfully, not bothering to sound polite.

She didn’t like this. She really didn’t like this at all.

His laugh made her feel sick. “Sooyoung, you don’t have to be so cryptic with your father. I’m a close friend of Sooman. What kind of friend would I be if I hadn’t attended his ward’s wedding?" She didn’t like the way he said ward instead of simply saying niece. "Though, I admit that I can't stay for the festivities; big business plans, I'm afraid.” There was a secret in his eyes that left her unsettled.

Sooyoung was no fool. She had gathered that much about why he made an appearance. She was on full alert; she never trusted her father when he spoke like this; as if he was about to order her to do something or tell her how to act and what to do. She struggled to remain civil. “I meant why are you here now, having this conversation with me? Is there something you have to say to me?”

His smile never faltered but there was still something unsettling in his eyes. “No, dear, there’s nothing specific. I just wanted to chat with my only daughter since I haven’t seen her in six years.” His tone changed slightly and whatever it was she sensed beneath this act had her on edge. His words felt rehearsed and planned. Instinct nagged at her that he was definitely up to something.

“Well, I’m doing well for myself. I’m happy.” She said truthfully, although she would never share any details to him about something so important. He would never understand and she never wanted to give him anything that mattered; she wouldn’t explain what made her, her.

Choi Jungnam looked amusedly at his daughter. “You found happiness, have you?” He mused and Sooyoung felt unease and panic rip through her heart. Her eyes narrowed slightly at the emphasis in his words that was highly suspect. “Well then,” he continued, “I hope you don’t mind paying your father a visit one day soon. Come to my office tomorrow; I have no pressing appointments then. If you don't come, I’ll just find a way to contact you anyways.”

She did her best to disguise the sour frown that threatened to pull at her lips. “The wedding is about to start. I have to get ready with the other girls, father.” She said as she bowed and turned to walk away.

“I won’t take no for an answer, dear.” He called out after her and she halted.

She cast a glance behind her. "You never did," she said plainly, bitterness threatening to edge into her voice. His eyes were serious even though he appeared as jolly as ever. “Be there by three o’clock, sharp.” He said firmly. She barely nodded and walked off down the long halls and finally resumed her starting position. Jessica sent her a worried glance and Sooyoung just shook her head before Sunny reappeared with her Uncle beside her.

Sunny’s confidence had been renewed with her friends’ gentle words from earlier. Speaking with her uncle, she convinced herself that she wouldn’t be a scared little girl anymore and that even if this marriage made a turn for the worst, she would always have her two best friends to pull her along through it.

As the organs started to sound, her uncle beside her took her arm, looking jolly as ever; Sunny swallowed the lump of fear in as she walked down to isle.



             The wedding ceremony had gone surprisingly well, all things considered—meaning no one fainted or ran off screaming. Shockingly enough, Sunny didn’t cry yet the groom beside her seemed to in much worse condition than she was. Sungmin stood stiff and blank faced by her side; reciting his vows robotically and looking like he was about to swoon, beads of nervous sweat on his forehead. The hall was crowded with all sorts of important people who came to celebrate yet another rich daughter being sold off in the world of high society.

s.

           Sooyoung kept her eyes on Sunny and her new husband the entire day and now into the night. She really noticed nothing else. Whenever Sooyoung set her focus on something, that was it; nothing else around her disturbed her concentration. She didn’t glance at the guests, the flowers, nor at Sunny’s other bridesmaids, Yuri and Yoona and Taeyeon (who she had come to know and like), not the décor around the church; zilch. Even now, she did not notice the pompous guests, not Jessica giggling beside her, not the rest of the party—not even Sungmin’s groomsmen…or his best man.  

The leggy brunette watched Sungmin and Sunny who sat at the center of the head table a few seats away.  The two seemed to have relaxed a considerable amount around each other and Sunny hadn’t burst into tears in a long while so that was at least a sign of progression. If anything, she seemed at ease now. Whatever her uncle had told her in their private time must have worked like a charm because she would even, on occassion, exchange a few words with her groom. She wasn't necessarily enjoying herself but she seemed calm. Sunny was never one to dwell in sadness for long anyways.

Sooyoung had been dragged (yet again) to the dance floor by Jessica and (yet again) tried to steal away from the party while the music pulsed throughout the hall, creating a half-assed excuse.

“I have to use the bathroom.” She said in Jessica’s ear over the thumping music. Jessica rolled her eyes at the obvious lie. She must have dragged Sooyoung back and forth onto the dance floor at least ten times and the brunette had kept sneaking back to her seat or anywhere else whenever Jessica wasn’t paying attention.

“Whatever. Just come back soon, the bouquet toss is coming up next—.” Jessica turned to look at her friend but Sooyoung had already left by then. The brunette slipped away and out of the hall to find the bathroom simply because walking around and even strolling in and out of the bathroom once every little while was preferable to dancing in her ridiculous heels. She decided that the other bridesmaids could dance with Jessica.
            As she walked through the lobby, unethical footwear clicking with each step she took, she stopped in her tracks when she saw Sungmin’s surrounded by his group of groomsmen. The hysterical groom himself was in the center of them, conversing—more like arguing—in the hall. Sooyoung now watched Sungmin with interest who seemed to be well on the way to yet another anxiety attack amongst the small group of men. She could make out his troubled expression as a few of his groomsmen stood around him, patting him on the back and trying to make light of his panic.

She didn’t mean to eavesdrop, honestly she didn't, but they were being pretty rowdy in the empty hall and her curiosity had gotten the best of her. She carefully listened in around the corner, catching onto their conversation.

“…can’t do it. I can’t.” Sungmin paced fervently like an animal in a cage.

“Calm down, Min! It’s only a garter. You just reach up her skirt and…” a skinny man who never said the right thing she remembered being named Eunhyuk, trailed off awkwardly. The boys sent each other nervous glances at each other while Sungmin downed a glass of champagne, setting it down quickly on a table by the settee in the lobby.

            Ah, of course. The garter toss was to be done soon and that was quite a racy tradition. Naturally, both families made this huge wedding because both names had to give off the image of a perfectly matched couple because they want their damn families to appear flawless in this damn socially elite world. Even this this damn ideal western-styled wedding felt like a rouse to pretend love was in the damn air even though everyone knew it was a damn arranged marriage. Damn. Though, to be fair, Sunny's uncle allowed her complete freedom to have the wedding suit her tastes. It seemed that her loving uncle and guardian had done everything in his power to make her comfortable and happy. A commendable effort although, if he wanted her comfort, he wouldn't have forced her to go through with the damn thing in the first place. Though many pains had been taken to make Sunny feel safe and secure, it was clear that it was her husband that needed it more.

            The groom’s friends all seemed to be talking to him and comforting him at once—all but one figure of a man who sat unresponsively on the couch behind the hysterical men. She caught a glimpse of dark, sleek hair from the man who sat aloof on one of the lobby’s couches behind the cluster of standing and frantic men that moved too and fro.  The small crowd of males obscured all but his crossed legs from her view. The best man, she thought. She hadn’t been paying any attention to anyone but the bride and groom all day but she had still recognized the other groomsmen. Sooyoung always thought it odd that the best man had not once appeared at rehearsals of any sort. None of the bridal party had even been properly introduced to him yet. He was essentially a ghost in the wedding party.
 
Sungmin shook his head violently. “What do you mean just reach up her skirt! Aside from the fact that we're still practically strangers to each other, but I'm supposed to do...” Sungmin gesticulated widly for a moment, not quite fidning the words in his erratic mood, "that in front of a room full of people?!"

Sooyoung's lips tugged into a wry smile. His hesitation gave her comfort. At least, Sungmin wasn't a creep, God bless him.

A sudden hush came over the group though as one of the groomsmen spoke. All eyes turned to the bestman who remained seated which tipped Sooyoung off that it was him who was speaking. She had to move closer and strain her ears to hear his quiet voice.

"You're going to have to do more than just reach up her skirt eventually," he had stated bluntly. Sooyoung bristled at Kyuhyun's audacity while Sungmin was hit with another bout of jittery panic Hand covering his eyes, the groom paced too and fro.

"I'm gonna puke," he muttered, sounding like he meant it.

Sooyoung was moving towards the flock of men before she'd even realized it. Her heels clicked on the marble floors as she made her approach.

"Sungmin?" she called, drawing the attention of the cluster of tuxedos. The men exchanged glances as she approached and she offered them a quick smile and nod of acknowledgement before turning to Sungmin who, frankly, was a pale as a ghost. He straightened at her sudden appearance, and attempted to compuse himself, clearing his throat while he did. Surprise coloured his tone as he acknowledged her. "Oh, hello, Sooyoung."

Sooyoung smiled patiently. “May I have a word with you, please?”

Sungmin glanced back at his groomsmen who had seen been silent since her approach. All eyes were on her. To her credit, tven Kyuhyun had glanced up from his phone to take a look at her.  The groom turned back the brunette, nodding his consent curtly. Pleased, Sooyoung once again addressed his groomsmen, all with perfect politely. 
"Pardon me, while I borrow him for a moment. I'll only be a moment."

She made sure to look each of them in the eye, all but the bestman.

Her annoyance with his earlier words had her pointedly ignoring him.  but she could feel his dark stare boring holes into her. 

 

She flashed them a smile, "Gentlemen," she  Sooyoung offered the men an apologetic smile, all the while feeling the best man's piercing stare lingering on her even as she turned away and bid Sungmin walk in step with her. They strolled a few feet away and she could feel the curious stares of Sungmin’s groomsmen boring holes in her back. Her friend’s new husband eyed her warily and the brunette offered him a compassionate smile. “It's alright. I won’t bite.”

He inspected her closely. “Sooyoung-sshi. It’s been…a long time.” he stated gravely but she smiled and nodded at the solemn man. The last time they actually saw each other long enough to converse properly was when they were around maybe eleven years old.

“It has.” She agreed but cut right to the chase. “Sorry, ” she began, “I overhead your distress a few moments ago but in my defense, it’s not exactly eavesdropping when you’re being so loud.” she trailed off and Sungmin looked at her in horror.

She held up a hand to silence him as he opened his mouth. “Don’t worry about it.” Sooyoung whispered with a secretive smile, “I’ll take care of it. I’ll slip you the garter beforehand and threaten the MC if I have to,” she whispered conspiratorially. Sungmin stared at her blankly before letting out a shaky breath of relief. He ran a hand over his face then nodding rapidly. “Yes—yes, thank you, Sooyoung-sshi. I can’t even begin to—.” She held up a hand to silence his growing speech of gratitude once again.

“It’s for Sunny’s relief too. Please try relax a little, Sungmin. Don’t worry about it.” She reassured him with a cool air,  patting him gently. "Chill as a cucumber, okay
?" Sungmin let out a long breath and attempted a smile, looking calmer already. Sooyoung always had a knack for calming people down. Her handy talent had earned her the nickname "chill pill" from Tiffany, who in turn was Sooyoung's "energy pill". Satisfied with Sungmin's newfound calm, she patted him on the back once more as she walked back to the hall. She was off to have a soft-worded conversation with Sunny and recruited Jessica to have a less than friendly chat with the over-the-top MC.


            Sooyoung had been eying the groom down the head table as she sat. Sungmin still seemed uneasy but not nearly as hysterical as before which was always a good thing. However, she couldn’t help but let her eyes wander to the best man. A tall centerpiece of flowers blocked most of her view of him and it was dark but she was quite certain it was him. Sungmin was still being coaxed by his friends and the best man sat watching them fret. He even turned away at one point; disinterested. Shouldn’t the best man be the first person to comfort the groom?

This “best man” of Sungmin’s certainly didn’t seem like the best man, let alone a good one. He always sat aloof, not helping calm his friend and even seemed to make Sungmin feel sicker with whatever it was he had murmured to him out in the lobby. Sooyoung felt rather nosy at this point but she wished she had known what he said.

 

“Sooyoung? Hey...Soo!” Jessica’s shrill nagging snapped her out of her reverie.
 

“Hm?” Sooyoung blinked at Jessica who had scowling at her and been tugging at her arm. “What is it, Jess?” Jessica rolled her eyes and threw her hands up in exasperation.“Didn’t you hear me? It’s time for the bouquet toss!” She exclaimed. Sooyoung could already feel the competitive flame inside of Jessica burning brighter. Sooyoung blinked. Oh joy.

“Oh no, Jess. No, no, no, no.” The brunette shook her head vigorously.

“If all the single ladies in the room would make their way to the dance floor, the bride will toss her bouquet to one lucky girl.” The MC boomed through the microphone and Sooyoung winced. Two of the other bridesmaids were actually engaged and Taeyeon, the eldest was married to one of Sungmin’s groomsmen, Leeteuk. Therefore, she was on her own. Jessica would definitely yank her along into this damn tradition to praticipate with her.

“Oh, yes, yes, yes, yes.” Jessica chirped, snagging the taller woman by her elbow and dragging her from the head table all the way to the open dance floor for the umpteenth time that day. Sooyoung hated bouquet tosses. It just served as a reminder to all single people that they are alone and only one out of the bunch will apparently have someone soon.

Plus, this tradition promised to find the lucky receiver a husband and Sooyoung wasn’t looking.

            Muttering begrudgingly to herself, she followed Jessica to the small gathering of single young ladies on the dance floor. For safety from the raging estrogen in the room, Sooyoung chose to stand off at the side unlike Jessica who stood up front and center, her eyes glinting with fierce competition and challenging any girl around her to dare catch the bouquet before her. Sooyoung observed, more than a little disturbed by how many other girls in the room shared her menacing eyes. She knew Jessica would elbow a in the face to get this bouquet and that these now demon looking women would do that and worse for it.

She shivered. Good God, it was only a handful of botanicals and lace made attractive by the silly superstition attached to it. If a couple of damn blossoms could predict the future of your love life, let her be damned.

Unbelievable.

            Sunny had already reached the dance floor and stood ready with her bouquet. “Ready?” The MC called out and all the girls shifted in anticipation—all except Sooyoung of course. Much to the rolling of drums, the new bride had her back faced to the swarm of blood thirsty single women and faked throwing it a couple times as some in the large hall laughed while others groaned. Sooyoung held her arms and remained standing awardly off to the side behind the mob of raging estrogen.

Again, her gaze wandered to the head table. The groomsmen all seemed to be having lighthearted conversations with each other and Sungmin looked much calmer since she slipped him the garter, much to his embarssament, earlier on. Yet, the best man hardly spoke. She watched as he leaned over to murmur something in Sungmin's ear which to her suprise actually put a smile on his charming face. She hadn't really seen Sungmin smile so broadly all day long so it was quite alarming to the brunette. Huh. Perhaps there truly was a reason the stone faced man was his best man.

“Soo!” She turned at the sound of her name when a bundle of flower and lace smacked her dead in the face and she actually stumbled back, landing flat on her rear; the bouquet somehow managing to land cozily in her lap.

What?

Some gasps were heard, followed by a few odd titters of laughter and whispers, no doubt about how unladylike it was of her to fall flat on her in front of a sea of snobby socialites. Sooyoung blinked down at the collection of flowers in her lap.

What?

“Uh oh! It looks like we found our next bride to be; a round of applause please!” The MC’s cheesy voice was a slap of realization (that and the cut-eye she was receiving from the other single women huddled on the dance floor). Applause filled the grand hall along with a few rowdy cheers from two groomsmen whose voices she recognized to be Kangin's and Eunhyuk's.

Oh, for God’s sake.

“Aw, damn it, Soo; you lucky duck!” Jessica said with minimal envy as she helped up the brunette who glowered at the botanical bunch she now possessed.

Climbing to her feet, feeling the faint heat of embarrassment colouring her cheeks. “You can have the damn bouquet.” Sooyoung muttered, brushing her dress off as she stood and shoved it out right under Jessica’s nose. The shorter woman somehow managed to snort in a ladylike fashion. Jessica could always make something as unladylike seem feminine and delicate—although in truth her attitude was anything but. “Stop messing around.” She said, gently smacking down the brunette’s wrist. “It only works for the person who caught it; it would be useless to me.”

“Yeah, but it’s useless to me too.” Sooyoung grumbled but protested no more as she made her way back to her seat accompanied by Jessica who complained to Sunny about why she didn't aim the flowers at her instead. Sunny though seemed happy enough that one of her best friends caught her bouquet.

“I’m glad you caught it Sooyoungie!” she smiled but her expression faltered slightly. “Although I don’t know if catching a bouquet from an arranged marriage is a good thing…I would probably burn that thing if I were you.” Sunny pointed innocently at the floral arrangement.

Sooyoung grimaced at the bouquet at hand but Jessica cut in. “Don’t you dare! Damn it, you don’t even want it but it just smacked you in the face—literally!” she shrieked, hands flying up in exasperation which made Sunny laugh.

Jessica stopped her rant to smile as Sunny did and Sooyoung smiled too. Jessica pulled the bride in for a hug as they both walked back to their seats. Sooyoung blushed in embarrassment when the three bridesmaids congratulated her on catching the bouquet as soon as she sat down.

“Congratulations!” The doe eyed girl, Yoona beamed.

“You’re going to the next lucky bride.” The curvaceous tan beauty named Yuri, nudged her gently and sent her a sly wink.

Sooyoung couldn’t disguise the frown that tugged at her lips. Yoona and Yuri seemed confused by this while Jessica snorted.

“Congratulations, Sooyoung-sshi.” said the eldest bridesmaid, Taeyeon, with a kind smile, “I hope you do find someone soon.”

“Thank you, unnie.” The brunette murmured, offering a half hearted smile for the woman's benefit.

“And now, for the garter toss.” The MC’s voice seemed a little less cheerful than before and Sooyoung couldn’t help but smirk in satisfaction. After five minutes of a very unpleasant conversation with the MC, Sooyoung (accompanied by a demon Jessica) persuaded him to meet their demands and skip over the garter removal bit—the toss itself was still in order though.
The room watched an only slightly less nervous Sungmin walk onto the center of the dance floor.

“Poor thing looks like he’s about to faint.” Jessica murmured and Sunny nodded in agreement, frowning slightly.

“This is calm for him.” Sooyoung muttered under her breath as she glanced at the silhouette of a man who sat to her far right of the table; the best man? His name was on the tip of her tongue but she couldn’t quite remember. It was dark in the room and she couldn’t see him well this time either. The brunette had only glanced at him before but there was something about him that bothered her...something she couldn't quite place.

She had seen a bunch of the other groomsmen try to coax said man to join them in the toss but he didn’t respond nor budge from his seat. He seemed to be quite a killjoy (although, who was she to talk since she had to be physically dragged into the bouquet toss by Jessica moments earlier). Sungmin stood opposite of where Sunny had stood. She had faced the head table with the pool of single demons behind her but now Sungmin stood with his back to the table with the group of single men behind him close to the head table.

Again, there was a build up before Sungmin flung his arm back and tossed the garter far back. Everyone watched in anticipation to catch a glimpse of the lucky receiver of yet another love life predicting object. Boy did he have a good arm because the lacey white garment sailed through the air and landed right on the head table—right before the best man; on his hand, in fact.        

There were a few obnoxious hoots and hollers from the rest of the groomsmen and single men as guests applauded. Even Sungmin with all his nerves seemed to brighten at the fact that his best man caught the garter which also promised the receiver a soon to be marriage. Yet somehow, the best man did not look even remotely amused to be blessed with the marriage predicting object. He really did not. His hand recoiled from the band of lace and silk, staring at it with harsh distaste. Sooyoung briefly considered shouting, "same!" across the table at him.

            As the evening's events continued on, Sooyoung peeked over at the man who sat almost at the very end of the head table throughout the night, avoiding the festivities as she had. She glanced down at the bouquet she had caught. Did this thing ever work? Would she marry? Would he get married too soon, this miserable, best man? It had bothered her the whole night that she couldn’t remember his name. It wasn’t until she saw him glance at her, uninterested from the corner of her eye did she feel the strangest sense of déjà vu raise the hair on the back of her neck and tingle down her spine. Although she had no idea why she felt this way, an uneasy feeling settled itself in her stomach and wouldn’t leave her for the rest of the evening. Something big was coming; whatever it was, it was only the beginning.
..


 


Author's Note:

Oh, the intrgiue!

I think it's safe to say that writing Sungmin's erratic character is one of my favourite things about this story.

There wasn't much Kyuyoung here either but the plot will thicken in the next chapter and they will officially meet!
Oh, God; I can feel the pressure already. I literally worked all night and most of the day to get this out; until 6:33 am. Urgh.

By the way, let me know if you would like to see more of SunSun (perhaps in a side chapter).

Well, until next time!