Happiness

Rain (under construction)

 

Chapter 2: Happiness




            It was almost six years to the day that Sooyoung wandered into her salvation; Happiness café. Almost six years since she left her home. Sooyoung had struggled with deep sense of loneliness while she lived in a world where she could never truly belong. She hated that world, she despised it, she loathed it. Jessica and Sunny had been abroad in the years she most needed the release and support of friendship. Indeed, they too had their dislikes of the social responsibilities that came with their titles along with was expected expected of them from a stand-point what was deemed appropriate in high society but even they could never truly understand the crushing emptiness that Sooyoung felt in her life. They were too far away and too busy to help in any significant way; she didn’t want to be a burden to them either. They hadn’t truly separated themselves from their families and they probably wouldn’t. So at this time, Sooyoung had not a friend in the world to turn to help her understand her "misguided" or "ungrateful" feelings for life. Whenever she opened up and tried to speak about it with servants, butlers or anyone in her house (as they were the only constant company she could keep), they just couldn’t understand why a pretty little blue blood would ever want to anything besides the life of luxury she was so blessed to have.


Why have a commoner’s life when here, you will want for nothing?, they had all said.

That was the thing. That was everything; she wanted to want. She wanted to need and be needed. She wanted a life where she could find herself, chase her own dreams and earn her own glories—not to have everything worth earning be handed to her on a silver platter. So she remained misunderstood, lonely and an outcast in her own home. Diamond necklaces offered her no comfort, luxurious feather pillows gave her no solace and lavish silken gowns supplied no relief. She had been taught all her life that these were the joys of life; all she ever needed were these soulless objects to bring her happiness but as she grew, these treasures did not satisfy. From these riches and titles she felt no happiness ot contentment. She felt no joy. She felt nothing.

She was empty—a shell of a human being.

Sooyoung spiraled into depression and began to lose herself. She cried whenever she was alone which was more often than not, she cried herself to sleep. She locked herself away in her room; a princess trapped in her quaint tower. Grand balls and coming out parties where she hid every scrap of her being inside not to shame her family name became unbearable. She kept on a straight and pleasant face but inside, she was screaming. The fake pleasantries were unbearable, the quantity over quality was unbearable—everything was unbearable to her. It was if the constant act she put on slowly picked at her soul, steadily pulling away pieces of who she was; her soul screaming, gagged and bound by her facade but clawing at the inside her body trying to escape from it's suffocating prison. 

The dehumanization of it all was humiliating; she wasn’t even permitted the luxury of looking the way she liked. Always stuffed in gowns and gloves and hats and heels; forced to straighten natural tumble of curls since her natural hair looked too unruly and pin straight hair was more neat and feminine. She was a porcelain doll, dainty and delicate and lifeless. Her whole life was to be lived by a set of rules; be pretty, land a rich husband of equal or greater consequence which she would be forced to obey, have children and prolong her family empire; nothing more.This fate seemed unescapable until the winds of change blew her fate into a different direction...

 



That day she had stopped in front of  the mirror in her room. She had just returned  from a stiffling luncheon that afternoon. Sooyoung met her own dull eyes in the reflection, despising what she saw. The way her long hair hung straight against her back reminded her of herself—useless and easily submitting. She was then dangling on her last string of hope, of sanity, beneath her feet an endless void called to her promising an end to the pain in an eternity of sleep. Grasping a pair of scissors, she held the sharp tool in her shaking palm. Her emotionless eyes flickered with light and emotion as tears filled her eyes. No, she wouldn't, couldn't take it anymore. She hated this life but it was still hers and it she would take control of it. She wanted to live and she could not live in this house anymore, she could be be this doll, this nothing! Pulling all her long, thick locks into her hand and with a quick few snips, chopped her hair right off. Piles of her hair fell at her feet. Sooyoung looked at the girl in the mirror as if she were a stranger. Choi Sooyoung never had short hair, never before had she looked or felt so alive. She felt lighter as she ran her fingers through her short locks that barely reached her shoulders. Going along with this liberated feeling and the spike of adrenaline fueld defiance, she snatched her coat and ran off into the city.

She was cold as harsh November winds blew past her and made her shiver. People shoved their way through the streets and it was so unlike the fake civility that she grew up with in her world of the socially elite. She was alone and scared and to make matters worse, it began to rain. Thunder boomed and cracked, as if nature itself was trying to scare her out of this crowded metropolis.

She was in the downtown core and had been wandering for a long while and she found shelter in a small café on the street corner. Happiness; the name of the shop called out to the void inside her that longed to be filled. She pulled open the door and stepped inside this shabby sanctuary. The inside of the café was nothing spectacular and was quite unappealing but the delicious aroma of coffee filled her with warmth and comfort. Mouth watering little cakes, cookies and pastries sat safely behind the display glass at the front counter. They reminded her of her hunger.

“Welcome in!” said a cheerful voice and Sooyoung looked to see a girl about her age poke her head out from behind a back room she assumed led to the kitchen. “I’ll be with you in a moment!” Moments later, the girl with chestnut coloured locks, only a little longer than Sooyoung’s new style, reappeared and practically skipped to the end of the counter where Sooyoung stood.

“How are you today?” she gave her a heart melting eye smile.

Sooyoung opened to explain she was only seeking shelter from the rain when she girl in front of her gasped, leaning forward on the counter and effectively startling the young heiress. “Oh, it’s raining outside!”

Sooyoung couldn’t help but glance out the window behind her at the rainy streets when the girl stared out the window with such interest. Sooyoung had to look in case it started raining elephants while she wasn’t looking because that’s sure how the gorgeous young shop worker had made it sound. She continued, leaning dangerously far over the edge. “I like it when it rains but it’s not too good for business. Ah, ottoke?”

Sooyoung jumped when the girl suddenly gasped again, hand actually flying up to .”Omona! You’re soaked. Come, come, come!” the shorter young woman waved vigorously and was already darting around the back of the counter and towards Sooyoung who actually took a step back from her rapid approach. Somehow, Sooyoung was sat down at a table with a good view of the window. “
Oh my gosh!” said the girl loudly in English, effectively making Sooyoung jump again. “You must be freezing!"

“I—.” Sooyoung started but Tiffany cut in again,“Can I get you some tea, coffee, hot cocoa?”

Sooyoung was about to tell her that she had no money to pay her, as she really hadn’t thought out what she needed for this whole running away thing but the chatty brunette continued. “I’m Tiffany, by the way!” She smiled brightly then pouted, waving her hand a little dismissively, “Well, actually my name is technically Stephanie but I don't really like it. I prefer Tiffany; much prettier, don't you think? Oh! But I guess it would be Miyoung here, though—.”

Sooyoung watched the brunette's mouth and the never ending stream of words that seemed to fall from her lips.“I came in here to avoid the storm. I have no money.” Sooyoung bursted out before the talkative Tiffany could speak anymore. Tiffany’s smile dropped. “Oh dear…”

Sooyoung suddenly felt very guilty since the girl completely deflated in disappointment, looking quite pitiful. “I’m sorry…” Sooyoung murmured.

Tiffany simply waved a hand dismissively,“That’s alright.” Tiffany heaved a large sigh and after eyeing an empty seat beside her, sat down on the vacant chair across from Sooyoung. “No one ever actually comes in here anyway. I can’t say I don’t get why.” She said, casting a dejected glance around the empty café. Taking one more glance around the shabby room, Sooyoung hesitated before speaking; being taught to always hold her tongue lest she offend someone (which she usually did in high society by speaking her mind honestly). Thinking it over, this would be helpful to the now gloomy barista beside her, so she decided that it was acceptable (though Sooyoung hated herself for even hesitating in blind obedience to her parent's rules; she was trying to be her own person today, that was the whole point of this spontaneous trip to the city after all, right?).  “Well, the layout is all wrong, if you don’t mind my saying so.”

Tiffany blinked her pretty eyes. “Eh? How so?” she asked, curiously.  

Sooyoung straightened a bit, not quite used to the genuine attention she was receiving. “The counter should be adjacent to the door,” she pointed out “not opposite. Generally, it looks better if everything is lined up to this wall so the rest of the room can be seating. Adding a couple closed in booths against the back wall would give the customers a feeling of privacy since it’s an open concept space. It’s a pretty large area too so you can have a great advantage for decorating.”
 
The girl named Tiffany stared at her in awe.

Sooyoung continued spouting her knowledge and tricks she learned from being in a family which built its legacy in hospitality and comforting guests. She noticed that wherever she pointed, Tiffany’s eyes followed. Whatever she said, earned her an eager nod from the girl. She was thoroughly invested and clung onto every word she said. It made her feel light and weightless. Tiffany seemed to truly appreciate her advice; that was truly a first for Sooyoung. “And there; you should remove the blinds too. You have great tall windows and their just in the right spot for sunlight, especially when the sun goes down. Keeping them up might remind people of an office or a shady diner. It also invites people to look inside and say ‘wow that looks cute. I want to go inside.’ You have a pretty good location too and there are quite a few shops around so people window shopping or walking around can see this place and attract customers.”

“Wow!
Daebok!” she smiled widely and clapped.

Sooyoung blushed bashfully at Miyoung's praise but waited until the barista's bountiful applause faded then murmured. “It’s daebak, actually.”

Tiffany blinked again and this time laughed nervously, rubbing the back of her neck. “Ah, sorry. I thought for sure I had that one.”

“You’re from America?” Sooyoung asked, smiling politely.

She nodded and smiled proudly. “I am! I came here to live with my grandma. She owns this shop and I’m just working here to help out. This place means a lot to her.” Tiffany looked around, looking a little embarrassed at its current state.

“Ah, I see.” The taller teen paused. “You’re from California?”

Her eyes widened. “How did you know?!” She asked amazed.

“I’m psychic.” Sooyoung deadpanned.

Tiffany’s eyes grew even wider and Sooyoung used all her will not to laugh. 

Really?!” she asked in English, incredulously.

“No.” Sooyoung grinned.    

Tiffany then huffed. “Aw, you got me going. Is it really that obvious? I’ve been practicing my Korean so hard.”

Sooyoung smiled and shook her head, “It's not that; I just have two friends from California. So I can make the distinction.”   

“How do you know all this stuff about décor and junk?” She asked, her genuine interest in listening to what Sooyoung had to say made her feel like she actually existed.
 
“My family owns, buys, builds and manages hotels, restaurants and banquet halls. They excel in all businesses regarding hospitality.” She was taught by her father to say this with pride and authority as if she owned the world solely because of this fact but here she stated it simply and without any real conviction. She never cared much for belittling people with a title she herself did not create.

“Wah, that sounds super important and official. You have a real talent. What’s your name?” Tiffany just kept shooting these questions her way and they were making her flustered.

“I’m Choi Sooyoung. It’s nice to meet you.” She greeted and bowed like the polite young lady she was forced to be.

“Choi Sooyoung?” She said then gasped suddenly. “How about I get you some tea?” She said already making her way behind the counter.

Sooyoung deflated. Of course, as soon as someone knew she was an heiress of one of Korea’s wealthiest empires they would treat her differently and put her on a pedestal for simply being born under a rich name.

“You don’t need to do that—.”She objected but the short haired girl was already bounding back with a tray of tea Sooyoung worried she would spill from practically running with it.

“Please, you really don’t have to just because of my family. I don’t have any money right now because I was planning on running away.” Sooyoung blurted in a rush.

Tiffany stopped mid pour. “Family?” she blinked. “I don’t understand.”

Sooyoung blinked. “Isn’t that why you literally ran to serve me after hearing my family name?” After all, that what the mention of her family name had earned her before; fear, surprise or a immediate grounds for kissing.

“I forgot that you’re drenched and freezing because we were talking. I promised you tea, didn’t I?”

Sooyoung remembered the promise of a warm drink ot be indeed true but stared in confusion. “But I have no money.”

Tiffany stared back at her in the same bewildered manner that seemed to say
yeah, and? “Yes, I heard. But I wouldn’t be a very good hostess let alone a very nice person if I didn’t at least offer a clearly distressed and cold stranger a cup of tea at no charge.”
 
“So…you don’t know who I am?” The astonished heiress asked incredulously. A beat of silence passed the two. Tiffany leaned back a little, casting a glance around the room as if the answer was somewhere there. “Um…am I supposed to?” she answered her question with another question skeptically.

Someone was treating her kindly without having a clue of who she was? All her life she was surrounded by snobs who wouldn’t even spare her a glance until they learned who she was. When they did they suddenly discovered her to be their best friends. The fakeness of these relations always depressed her. Yet this girl offered a stranger a free cup of tea even though her business was clearly failing just because…because? Warmth filled her. She didn’t feel like Choi Sooyoung…she felt like Sooyoung; like herself—a person she longed to find.

“I’m of the Choi family." She paused, waiting for understanding to register on Tiffany's face. It never did. She looked utterly clueless. Remembering the girl was fresh from America she her whole reaction seemed stupid and she felt foolish so she decided to clarify. "Old blue bloods. One of the most elite and wealthy families in Korea as well as the soul heiress to a multi-million dollar empire of Choi hotels and hospitality.” She said quietly.
 
Tiffany's eyes were as wide as saucers, setting the tea pot down with a small clatter, she threw her hands in front of her as if she was stopping an invisible force with her palms. “Woah, woah, woah. Back up a second. You…”

Sooyoung cringed. Her relief would be short lived and now she would be back to Choi Sooyoung.

“You ran away from home?!” she slammed her hands onto the table top, narrowly missing the tea pot and cup all together, seeming to have just remembered that bit of Sooyoung's outburst. “
Oh my goodness!

Sooyoung stared in total disbelief at this odd girl. Sympathy washed over the girl’s features and Sooyoung was surprised by this. They were only strangers. Why does she show such care?

“Tell me all about it. Go ahead, vent!” She sat right across from her, leaning forward on the table intently. Sooyoung knew it was completely unorthodox to tell a perfect stranger her sorrows and hardships but this girl was kind, genuine and sincere in her nurturing.

            Sooyoung proceeded to tell her about her depression and her being chained to her family’s name like a curse. Tiffany showed true interest and sympathy towards the heiress as she explained her tale. The more Tiffany listened the more she told her, and the more she told her, the lighter she felt. Throughout her tales of woe and perseverance of living in a family that saw her as a disappointment in being a simple girl instead of a social climbing debutante, Tiffany gasped, cried, shook her head in disappointment and looked at her with understanding and admiration.
 
“That’s s-so sad!” she sniffled, blowing her nose into a tissue she produced from her apron. Sooyoung hadn’t had a chance to respond because Tiffany pulled her into a bone-crushing hug clear over the table, almost knocking over their cups of tea. “Tell you what…" She looked up at the ceiling as she wiped at the bottom of her eyes with her pinky fingers and sniffled, "how would you like a job here? You can clearly bring this place out of the dumps with your knowledge and I’m…the only steady employee here.” She laughed in embarrassment again. “You can come here every day and…maybe I can even help you move out someday! We have plenty of space in the rooms upstairs.”


Sooyoung didn't know why or how Tiffany would achieve all of this, but somehow, she believed that she would.

 



It was that rainy day when Sooyoung met one of the best friends and co-workers she could ever dream of having. Sooyoung did as Tiffany said. She got a job at the café thanks to Tiffany (and the café’s desperate need of staff) and worked hard there secretly. She continued that way until her nineteenth birthday then one day blatantly told her parents she was moving out and essentially cutting off all ties. She thought her mother was going to have a heart attack but her father was oddly calm. Up until this day, Sooyoung was still bothered by what seemed to be her father’s easy approval…

            He agreed shortly and wished her well. She always assumed it was an “okay, I’ll let you do what you want knowing you’ll fall flat on your and come crawling back” type of thing. Although she didn’t fall on her . With her help, Tiffany and Sooyoung fixed up the café ran the joint well! Happiness even became a hot topic out of many other cafés and a shinning jewel on the block. Tiffany eventually took over the business from her grandmother once she retired and Sooyoung became her equal partner and with little money they had scraped together, they redesigned the entire café with a chic appeal (and a mostly pink theme, thanks to Tiffany’s obsession with the colour). Sooyoung moved in with Tiffany and while Tiffany took over the business aspect of the café, Sooyoung used her  stellar grades and her unlimited knowledge of business and hospitality and got herself an education in hospitality management followed by college courses to learn the culinary arts. It wasn't easy and the two had spent many sleepness nights wondering how long two girls barely out of their teens could keep business running and how in the hell they would manage it. The years of toil and sacrifice only brought them closer, made them stronger and earned them much reward.  

She did well for herself with Tiffany by her side as a business partner and friend. She would never be able to return the debt she owed to Hwang Tiffany—that much she was sure of.

 



“I’m here!” Sooyoung called out, making her way through the back of the café. She shook off her drenched umbrella and set it beside the coat rack as she hung her trench coat on it. Breathing deeply, she felt most at peace here in their café. She let the warm fragrances of lattes and sugary sweets fill her lungs and her head.

“Oh, noona—good afternoon!” A baby-faced boy named Taemin, who was currently whisking a bowl of brownie batter, turned to greet her kindly as she entered the kitchen. She smiled fondly at her hoobae. She met him in one of her college's culinary classes and he showed great passion and tenacity for cuisine of all types, so naturally she offered him the job at Happiness. He never made her regret her decision. Not once.

“Good afternoon.” She greeted warmly. “Where is Tiffany?”

“She’s in the office, noona. We’re really busy today.” He said enthusiastically as he poured the smooth chocolate mix into a baking pan.

“Alright. I’ll be out to help you in a minute. See if you can call Luna in to work.”

He nodded and replied. “Already got it covered. I called her in about fifteen minutes ago, noona. Krystal, Key and Sulli are already waiting tables. Plus, we've got Minho and Jonghyun on cash and behind the counter. We're good.”

“Great job. Keep up the good work.” She gave him a soft pat on the shoulder. He just gave her a cute little salute that she merrily mirrored back at him as she headed towards the office.

“Fany, I’m here.” Sooyoung said as she closed the door behind her. Tiffany glanced up from the papers on her desk and gave her a small and tired smile. Sooyoung’s brow furrowed slightly. That’s not the Tiffany she knew.

“Hi, Sooyoungie.” She beamed up at her as she sifted through the sea of papers scattered on her desk. Her usually bright greeting felt a little dull today. Sooyoung's smile faltered. “What’s wrong, Fany?” She asked, standing behind her to glance down at the catastrophic pile of documents and bills.

Tiffany sighed, with her elbow on the desk she rubbed at her eyes and after a moment murmured, “They keep raising the rent on the building."

Sooyoung glanced at her incredulously. “What? What do you mean; they raised it again?!”

 Tiffany just sighed, sounding nothing like the happy-go-lucky woman she came to adore. “We’re falling a little behind, Sooyoungie.”

Sooyoung felt a flare of anger ignite in her chest. “How can they keep doing this to us? We’ve never been late for payments, business has been good--better than good, great-- and now that they keep raising the taxes higher and higher? This is bull! No other building owned by those s gets taxed like we do! They do it only to us and actually expect us to pay them this much?!” Sooyoung spat, cursing at their ruthless landlords. "It was never like this before. What the hell have they become?"

Tiffany, with great patience, gently rubbed Sooyoung’s back soothingly and smiled up at her from her seat. “It’s okay. We can make it through. It could be much, much worse. Cheer up, buttercup!” She added in English—the phrase never failed to make Sooyoung smile.

“You’re right. Come on. This place can’t run itself.” Sooyoung said, trying to sound cheerful for Tiffany’s sake. They went about their business joyfully, as they always did at their café. Not a day had gone by that the title of their pride and joy lied. Truly, their café was special. True to its name, it had always brought everyone inside happiness. Sooyoung took comfort in this too soothe both her and Tiffany's worries. Despite this, Sooyoung's mind remained distracted with the grey events of the day which seemed to match the weather outside the window.


            The staff of Happiness had begun to close shop after another sucessful day of business. While everyone else finished cleaning up the café,  Sooyoung sat at an empty table by the open window, the spot she sat in the first time she walked into Happiness. She absentmindedly turned her mug full of tea around and around on thr table slowly as she stared out into the rainy streets.

“It’s been almost six years exactly…” Tiffany said softly as she sat down across from her, setting down her own mug of hot chocolate onto the smooth surface of the coffee coloured table. “…am I right?”

Sooyoung snapped out of her trance and smiled back at her best friend. “Yeah. I’m grateful I found this place.” She murmured more to herself than to the long raven haired girl across from her. “You’re hair was short and brown then.” Sooyoung commented as she sipped her tea carefully.

“Hm…” She hummed thoughtfully. “Your hair was too; even shorter than mine.”

Sooyoung smiled. They both grew out their hair together and vowed never to cut it short again, saying it was the bonds of their friendship. It seemed pretty trivial and childish but both girls stuck by it. The brunette played with the ends of her long and dark chocolate brown curls as she gazed out the window idly.

“It was raining then too, huh?” Sooyoung asked.

Tiffany smiled her famous eye smile and followed her gaze out the window. “It was, wasn’t it?” She chirped cheerfully. “A rainy day brought you my way.” She said in a sing song voice and Sooyoung rolled her eyes.

Keep singing like that and I’ll go away.” She retorted also in a sing song while Tiffany pouted. “Scratch that, keep singing and you can go away. I was sitting here first.” This only made the Hwang woman pout more. “You’re so mean, Soo.” However she smiled once more, casting a glance out the window then back to her friend. “I feel like rainy days are the days of destiny.” Tiffany spoke, cheerful once more as she looked out the drenched city through wet, streaky windows yet again. Sooyoung glanced at her from over her mug.

“Random," Sooyoung deadpanned while Tiffany laughed, a little embarrassed. After a brief pause, Sooyoung's curiosity got the best of her. "Why is that?” She asked, taking a sip of her vanilla tea.

“I don't know why I feel that way. I mean, it has to mean something special like in in movies, you know? When something bad happens it rains." Tiffany explained, gesturing vaguely with her hand. "I believe the word you're looking for is pathetic fallacy, Tiff. It's just a literary device. Suiting weather to mood." Sooyoung supplied, watching the thoughtful look on Tiffany's face as she shook her head.
"Well yeah, but it's not always a bad thing. Rain can be a good thing like in the Notebook." Sooyoung was tempted to roll her eyes then. Of course Tiffany would bring up the Notebook. She managed to relate everything to the Notebook. Being the lovesick girl that she was, it was both her favourite book and movie after all, (next to Titanic; never forget Titanic). Still, Tiffany continued thoughtfully, unaware of Sooyoung's amusement.

"The rain can bring people together just as much as it can tear them apart." Tiffany shrugged, then pausing she grinned playfully. "Why else would the sky cry for us?” she said in a dramatic voice. She was such a child, Sooyoung thought, a starry eyed, romantic child. The leggy brunette decided to go with her initial reaction and rolled her eyes in exasperation. “Lame.” She drawled bluntly, earning an indignant sound from her best friend. As she sipped her sweet vanilla tea, Tiffany's words gave her pause.

Rain brings people together...

Well, she did meet Tiffany because of a rainy day and true, she would not have encountered that young man on the bus in the same way she had, had it not been pouring outside. She had thought about the event repeatedly since this morning. The curiosity that nagged at her made her regret not having an actual conversation with him. She found herself quite ridiculously curious about the mysterious man, drenched in the rain. Something about the way he stood and held himself seemed different from everyone else around him. She couldn’t describe it but there was something about him that felt…just different; like he had authority over the ground he stood on. Although his head was tilted down and he hunched slightly, there was still power in his stance. Intimidating was the word. His aura and only God knew what else was what probably drove people to stand away from his side apart from his hostile look. Mostly, she wondered about the underlying loneliness she felt from him. She was well in tune to feelings of hopelessness, solitude and sadness. It drew her to him like a magnet. She saw in him what she felt the day she had wandered the rainy streets of Seoul before she met her best friend. He clearly didn’t want anyone near him yet he accepted Sooyoung’s help as well as thanks. He was an astonishing man indeed…

“Sooyoung? Yah, are you spacing out again?”

Tiffany’s whining snapped Sooyoung out of her deep reflection of the hoodie clad stranger she had met in the rain. “Oh, sorry, Tiff.” Sooyoung mumbled in apology. She was always the type of person who would suddenly lapse into deep thought and forget completely about everything else surrounding her. It had earned her many a scolding in her lifetime.

“What aren’t you telling me?” Tiffany pouted again. “You seemed a little off today; is there something the matter?” She was frowning slightly now and her concerned touched Sooyoung. The brunette only sighed. “Not really but…” Sooyoung decided to tell Tiffany about her breakfast-turned-brunch with her friends, the arrogant young businessman who bumped into her and of course the man at the bus stop.

If Tiffany was a great talker, she was an even greater listener. Tiffany listened closely as she always had, her face changing expressions every so often; from shock, to annoyance at the businessman, from shock again to pity for Sunny’s situation and wouldn’t you know it—shock upon her meeting her mysterious stranger.“Oh, wow! It sounds like something from a book!” Tiffany exclaimed in excitement.

Sooyoung scoffed. “A Stephen King novel maybe. I mean, he was pretty dark and intimidating.” She murmured out of neccesity, not wanting Tiffany to go into her lovey-dovey-could-be-true-love-destined-by-the-angels mode which, of course, she did.“Aw. He paid your fare for you? That’s so romantic! Maybe it’s destiny!” Tiffany gushed, leaning forward on the table with a dreamy look in her eyes. Sooyoung stared at her friend as if she had lost her mind.

After a long moment, “That’s what you got from a downpour, losing a bus ticket and a lozenge, Tiffany; destiny?” Sooyoung asked incredulously.

No.” Tiffany dragged out the word, her English reemerging as she wagged her finger at the brunette. Sooyoung felt the urge to roll her eyes grow tenfold while 
Tiffany sighed to herself dreamily, cupping her chin in her hands as she leaned forward on the table. Looking an awful lot like a school girl daydreaming she breathed, "It really does sound like something you hear in a storybook." She continued enchantingly, “A rainy day, a shared umbrella, and one fate...but who ever said destiny was subtle?” Tiffany said in an overly dramatic voice again, her voice dropping into an estranged booming baritone like the typical narrator of a corny movie trailer. This time, not only did Sooyoung roll her eyes but she snorted, too. Shaking her head and leaning back in her chair for good measure, she grumbled. “Aish, you really are something else--lovesick girl.”

Tiffany laughed and playfully objected to Sooyoung’s grouchiness while purposefully continuing to spout mushy ideas until Sooyoung laughed along with her. As usual, Tiffany's teasing branched off into her usual lecture about the importance and greatness of love while Sooyoung just stared out the window as the rainy world beyond the glass thoroughly entranced her once more. Gazing outside the misty window, she was once again drawn her deep into her own jumbled thoughts. Was there any other kind of fate for her in store? Was fate even exist in the first place? She wasn't so sure. If it was, what might it bring her? These questions were tempting to give considerable thought to but Sooyoung didn’t know about any of that. Instead, she just cradled her now cooled mug of tea in her slender hands, trying desperately to think back to sunny days, when the thoughts of a hoodie-clad stranger didn't plague her mind.


Author's Note: So there we have it; a peak into Sooyoung's past and her line of work. I know, I know, there's no Kyuhyun in this chapter but he will be in the next one coming up soon when wedding bells are ringing (hint, hint). 

Thank you so much for reading! I'll see you in the next chapter.