Can U Smile

Can U Smile

There was that day when he stopped smiling. 

Nam Woohyun stopped smiling after our goodbye performance for Nothing's Over. 
I didn't notice at first; I regret not noticing earlier now. 

It was subtle. His obnoxious laugh, though adorable, if I do say so myself, disappeared into thin air; his wide grin vanished and was instead replaced with a grim frown. 

I finally noticed his odd behaviour a week after, when he offered (well, more like we forced the role onto him) to cook dinner for the whole band. 
We were all ecstatic of course; it wasn't a secret that Woohyun's cooking was way beyond average. However, on that day, I bit into the chicken he made only to stop mid-chew, glancing over at Woohyun across from me who was playing around with his food on his plate. The chicken was... bland? That certainly hadn't happened before. According to my own knowledge, Woohyun's cooking had always been perfect. It always had just the right amount of flavoring to make you crave more and more. But today was... different. My eyes travelled across the whole table; it seemed I wasn't the only one who noticed something was off, but no one questioned it but only continued to eat slowly. 

As I observed Woohyun carefully, I noticed things that brought a frown to my face. His skin was paler, his cheekbones more prominent, as if he hadn't been eating enough. The mirth in his eyes were gone. The conceited personality I grew to love was masked by this depressing aura that seemed to be emanating from my bandmate. 

Slowly, I reached put and placed my hand over his, a simple gesture that caused to flinch and look up at me, while I just continued eating. I gave his hand a squeeze as a gesture to let him know that I was there. 

Later on, when I had finished the dishes even though I hadn't wanted to ('you're the leader, you do it!' Sungjong had pleaded. ), I went on a search for Woohyun. When I couldn't find him anywhere in out dorm, I knew that there was only one place where he would be. 

The roof. 

I stopped by our room to grab something before heading up. Woohyun was always there when he had something on his mind, and no one else knew he was up there besides me. Either that, or they didn’t really care.

I slowly pushed open the metal door that led to the roof terrace, closing it behind me silently and eyeing the dark silhouette leaning against the barrier at the edge of the terrace. I shuffled up to him slowly, throwing the blanket I had remembered to grab before over the other’s cold shoulders. I could tell, even in the dark that he flinched a bit, but he didn’t turn around. I leaned on the stone barrier beside him, turning my head so that I could see his face better. 

I wasn’t surprised when I saw his tear stained cheeks.

I slowly reached my hand up to cup his face, and smiled when he leaned into my caress. With my thumb I gently wiped his tears away, my soft smile turning into a frown when I noticed that he was still crying. At this, I pulled Woohyun into a hug, burying my nose into the soft strands of his hair. 

“I’m lonely.”

It kind of surprised me when he said this out of the blue, and I felt my heart wrench out of sadness.

“No you’re not, you have all of us. You have Infinite.”

“I...It’s not the same...” He trailed off.

“You have me.” I pulled back from my hug, arms still loosely around the other’s neck as I stared deep into his eyes. I spoke up again when the only reaction I received from him after a while was a blank stare.

“I love you.”

He opened his mouth as if to say something but I shut him up with a kiss before he could.

“I love you.” I repeated in between kisses, then moving to place butterfly kisses on his cheeks to kiss the tears away.

“I love you. I love you. I love you.” I said over and over again before pulling back to give him a smile.

“I love you too.”

It was barely a whisper, but I still heard it through the silent of the night. We stood there in each others arms in a comfortable silence before I spoke up.

“Now can I have some chicken that actually has a taste?”

For that, I received a light punch on the arm.

“Did you have to ruin the mood, Kim Sunggyu?"

My heart fluttered seeing the smile on his face again.

---------------------------------------

First story on AFF! Hope you liked it~

Read and review!