The Wolf's Decision

Little Red Riding Hae

THE WOLF'S DECISION CHAPTER III

 

 

Hyukjae woke up to the pain he felt from his scar, with his wolf instincts he was ready to attack. He stopped, when he realized it was just, the little boy, Donghae. Who backed in fear for a particular reason. The boy was pointing at him with shaking hand and his face was filled with fear.

“H-hyung, y-you’re eyes...”

“What?”

“T-they turned g-gold”

Hyukjae wasn’t surprised at all, it happens when his wolf instincts come alive. He sighed and patted Donghae's shoulder. The boy should never know about his secret; his true form. And he hopes he never will.

"It's just your imagination. Get over it"

"B-but I really saw it!"

"Listen kid, things in the forest can make your imagination go wild"

"I swear- I really did-"

"You're just tired"

"But-"

The boy's sentence was cut off by Hyukjae's cold and sharp glare, followed by the younger's whimper. Hyukjae stood up and stretched his body. The sun was just rising from the east. He looked back to the younger boy and remembered that he should decide what to do with the boy. The boy noticed that the older was staring at him with a serious expression.

"Hyung? What are we going to do now?"

"I don't know"

Should he just eat the boy right now? He looked at the little boy who was throwing pebbles to the cave wall with a bored face. Hyukjae looked at the boy closely, analyzing every detail from the boy. Just then, the boy yawned cutely and placed his head on a huge stone near him. Why can't he just eat the boy already? Probably because he's so cute, adorable, innocent, and... Hyukjae shook his thoughts away. He's your prey Hyukjae. Your prey. He looked at the boy once again. Goddamit! What am I thinking? I can't do this anymore. I'm sick of thinking and making stupid decisions. I should just drop him off at his granny's and find another prey. As simple as that.

"C'mon kid. Let's continue our journey. You do still want to go to your granny's house, don't you?"

"Of course!"

Hyukjae nodded to himself. A part of him wished the boy said no for a reason. But that is certainly impossible. The boy stood up cheerfully and ran out of the dark cave. Without a word, Hyukjae followed him from behind. Hyukjae caught up with the younger and lead the way silently. The boy saw the sadness and disappointment in the older's eye. He frowned and decided to ask the older about it.

"Hyung? Are you alright?"

"I'm fine"

"Hyung?"

"What is it now?"

"Are you hiding something from me?"

"... No"

Donghae stopped talking and looked at the older again. Even it's only a day since they first met, Donghae actually feels sad when he has to separate from Hyukjae. Yes, at first he seems cold and serious but, behind all of that there's a kind and protective side of him. Until now, the scars and bruises on the older's skin is still clearly visible. Even though he almost remembers nothing, he knew that those bruises were caused by Hyukjae protecting him from the creatures lurking around the forest.

It's only been a day but Donghae already feels attached with the older. With minds full of thoughts, the two males walked silently along the small paths of the forest. Then, after countless minutes or even hours of restless walking, the younger saw a huge sparkling lake, radiating light and beauty to the dark forest. The lake which was always called as the immortal lake, Everlasting Lake. His final destenation. Just across the sparkling lake, he could see a familiar small and simple hut. He breathed the fresh air as soon as they walked out from the darkness of the forest. Just as he remembered. He looked at Hyukjae and smiled softly.

"It feels like I haven't been here since forever"

Donghae was glad after the long journey; he finally managed to get to his granny's house. He hopes neither his granny nor his parents are worried. He remembered his parents and him would play with the clear water before going to his granny’s. He can't wait to swim across the lake, knock his granny's old rusty door, and earn a warm hug from his granny. 

"What do you think hyung?"

"It's beautiful. I haven't been here in a while"

Hyukjae slightly saw pictures and visions of his last pack, years and years ago when they were resting around the lake peacefully. Both of them kept silent and admired the lake's mesmerizing beauty. After a while, they both realized. They're journey has finally ended. Donghae has reached his destination and Hyukjae had managed to guide him here. In their similar but very different minds, both of them thought So, is this it? They stared at each other's eye deeply. Waiting for one of them to bid goodbye or simply do something but, neither of them did that. Inside each of them, something was holding them back. They don't know how and why but, for less than 24 hours some kind of bond formed inside of them. And now they can't break it off. After moments of silence with wind blowing around them, they finally decided This is it. 

The younger rubbed his nape awkwardly and so did the older. The younger took a deep breath and nodded to himself. With the courage he collected, he decided to finally do it. Bid their goodbyes. Gave each other their last farewells for they might never meet again. The younger forced a smile to the older.

"Goodbye, I guess?"

"Yeah, goodbye"

Silent was heard once again. This is it. Why aren't any of them walking away? Why are they still standing there? Why isn't Donghae rushing to his granny's house to see his beloved granny? Whis is Hyukjae not going back to the woods and find a new prey like he planned? They don't know. Once again, Donghae broke the silence with his sweet but forced smile.

"Hyung, Thanks for guiding me all the way here and for protecting me all this time. I'm sorry if I had been burdensome"

"No, it's alright really"

"So, this is it. Right hyung? You're just going to go back hunting and I'm going to be with my family again. Hapily Ever after. The end?"

"I guess so. Is that not what you want?"

"It is, it's just... I don't know why but, I don't want to leave you hyung"

Hyukjae was shocked by the younger's honest word. Sparkling tears were forming in the younger's eye, just like the sparkling water of the lake. As soon as the younger realizes it, he quickly wipes it away. The younger spoke half heartedly with his shaking voice.

"F-forget about that. You can leave now hyung..."

Seeing the fragile little boy crying like that, he had the urge to hug the younger and comfort him. Make him feel better. He didn't want to admit it but, he also didn't want to leave the younger. Following his urge, he walked closer to the boy and pulled him into a tight hug.

"I don't want to leave you too but, we have to... Your parents, remeber? It's less than a day and we barely even talk. I regret that I had been so cold as a reply of your kind and warmness. I had been all alone all this time and I forgot about the warmth of friends and family. I believe if this... this bond between us truly exists, we'll meet again somehow"

The younger boy didn't know the older had this caring and warm side of him. His words are just beautiful, almost like he's writing a poem. He can't hold it in anymore, this is all too much for him. Just then, he bursted into tears and cried in the older's arm when the older just hugs him tighter, trying to calm him. As soon as the younger's tear dried out, the older let go of him. Hyukjae took a deep breath and smiled warmly at the younger.

"Goodbye Donghae"

"Bye Hyukjae hyung"

After Hyukjae comforted him, he felt way much better. Even so, the disappointment and sadness inside his heart remains the same. Regardless what Hyukjae said, they both know that they probably will never ever meet again. Both of them turned around at the same time. Walking opposite directions. They both looked back and took a last glance. They smiled and each other and continued walking straight. As Hyukjae disappeared across the woods, Donghae was already running to his granny's house. This is it after all. Both of them closed their eyes and took a deep breath.

This is it.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Just how wrong could they be? This could never be it.