Midnight Kiss

Midnight Kiss

Midnight Kiss


 

It’s tradition that when the clock strikes midnight, welcoming the New Year, you find someone to share a New Year’s kiss.

Sometimes it’s a simple peck on the cheek from a relative or friend. Sometimes… well, sometimes it’s a bit more than a kiss from a significant other or someone you just met, but can’t quite remember their name.

No matter which type it is, a kiss is about strengthening ties you wish to maintain in the future. If a couple celebrating together doesn't take the time to lock lips, it doesn't bode well for the relationship.

And of course, there's also the superstition for single people saying that failing to kiss someone ensures a year of loneliness.

Thinking of this, Sungmin sighed for the umpteenth time that night, swirling the champagne in his glass and taking yet another sip of it. Frankly, all these superstitions had always annoyed him, mostly because in his opinion, they were all bull.

Way too much traditions for just one night, he thought.

“Glad to see you’re enjoying the party, hyung.” Ryeowook said sarcastically just as he reached the spot Sungmin was standing at. The sandy blonde rolled his eyes at him, “Don’t start it.”

“Please hyung, it’s like you don’t want to be with us. You could just have said so you know, if you didn’t want us here this year.”

“You know it’s not that Wookie. It’s just—I—it’s just me being silly.”

“Hyung—”

“Tell you what, I'm going out for some fresh air and when I come back you'll tell me about that Jongwoon guy you're here with, okay?” Sungmin finished with a rather forced smile before Ryeowook would say anything else.

The younger just sighed and smiled back, “Okay.”

 

 

Greeting some random people on his way to his front door (probably Heechul’s making) he thought about his conversation with Ryeowook.

It wasn’t that he didn't enjoy being with his friends, It really wasn’t. After all, they were also celebrating his birthday, and for that he was happy.

Or at least he should.

Problem was that Sungmin felt as if all of his friends were rubbing their oh-so-perfect love life on his face by coming to the party in couples –not that he was bitter or anything.

A hand reached for him and suddenly he was being dragged into his living room, “Sungmin-ah! Come, come. Let’s have a toast, hmm?” a not-so-sober Jungsoo slurred in his ear while handing him a glass of vodka.

“Uh, hyung?” he said watching his glass. When did they even bring this?

“Shhhhh,” the older then turned around, lifted his own glass and happily shouted for all the room to hear, “To the birthday boy!!”

The echoing of people followed, glasses emptying and cheers encouraging Sungmin to do the same filling the place. He lifted the glass a little, thinking of taking just a sip to silence the crowd, but his hyung, his always caring hyung, shoved the drink down his throat.

The crowd cheered louder and Sungmin thought it wasn't good that the world suddenly began spinning.

 

 

Now dragged to the backyard by a completely drunk Jungsoo and a laughing Hyukjae, Sungmin thought maybe this New Year’s Eve wasn’t so bad after all. Yes, he had been manhandled half of the night and wasn’t able to walk in a straight line anymore, but now he was genuinely enjoying the party.

Until the countdown started, that’s it.

Ten…

Nine…

Both his friends left his side and joined their partners, leaving him in the middle of the crowd.

Eight…

Seven…

He couldn’t believe this was happening to him for the third time in a row.

Six…

He just stared, waiting for the fireworks that would signalize the start of the new year.

Five…

Four…

Three…

Two…

One…

“Happy New Year!!” Sungmin heard everybody around him shout cheerfully, and soon the only thing he could see were couples kissing.

The first kiss of the year, he thought a bit glumly.

Turning around slowly to look for a seat, he was met by soft, plump lips that immediately had his eyes shutting and insides melting.

Sungmin would have punched whoever dared to kiss him, tradition or not, if he had been in his right mind, but really, his martial arts skills wouldn't be of too much help in his current state, after the too many drinks he had had this night –damn Jungsoo– and maybe because of this he just kissed back instead, mind blank of any other thought that wasn’t the way the other person’s lips felt against his (or maybe he was just actually enjoying the kiss).

 

 

It’s tradition that when the clock strikes midnight, welcoming the New Year, you find someone to share a New Year’s kiss.

Sometimes it’s a simple peck on the cheek from a relative or friend. Sometimes… well, sometimes it’s a bit more than a kiss from a significant other or someone you just met, but can’t quite remember their name.

No matter which type it is, a kiss is about strengthening ties you wish to maintain in the future. If a couple celebrating together doesn't take the time to lock lips, it doesn't bode well for the relationship.

And of course, there's also the superstition for single people saying that failing to kiss someone ensures a year of loneliness.

Frankly, all these superstitions had always annoyed Sungmin, mostly because in his opinion, they were all bull.

But, just as a low, sensual “Happy Birthday” made its way to his ears that night after breaking the kiss, he thought that yes, maybe he could start believing in all these stuff again, and that maybe, just maybe, he wanted to strength ties with the person in front of him (after a slap or two, that’s it).

 

 

When he opened his eyes though, the only thing before him was an empty spot.

 


 

well that's it. somehow, it ended up more like a sungmin-centered and kinda sad dabble right? anyway, thanks for suscribing to this thing and bearing with my procrastinating self. hope you enjoyed.

ps. drunk teuk ftw.

i entered this fic in ladyrapunzel08's KyuMin Writing Contest (http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/702217/) which has an important rule:

vi. I encourage the readers to comment in participant's entry. (You Guys will play the big part. Please.)