FINAL

Broken Key
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

December 24, 2013.

11:04 pm

There it is. The piano. I stood there pressing my boots down hard to the soften ground, implanting my footprints in the snow. I stare at the piano from a distance, making sure not to go too close. I bury my face into my rose scarf, the same shade of pink the tip of my nose is now. My hands would quiver every time a brisk breeze seemed to pass by. I watch as the snowflakes floated like a newly awaken butterfly and I watch as it would gently land itself on the piano. The eggshell colored snowflakes piled on the piano, covering the once visible keys.

 I hug the warm embrace the coat gave to me but my armor was too weak to withstand the soldiers of the snow. It was too late to leave now. I’ve been standing outside in the snow for hours. Waiting. I couldn’t just leave now. I am waiting for him again. I was waiting for Baekhyun. Then I look down at my hands and cup them together. Every time I think about him I smile. The smile forming on my face brought warmth to my cheeks. I still think of the day I’ve first heard him play, the day I first met him.

December 24, 2011

10:43 pm

I ran outside of the house as fast and as far as my legs can carry me. I couldn’t make it far, the coats of the cold winter got to me and my legs couldn’t hold me no more. I lay my hands along the edge of my knees, trying to catch my breath. I had not a single sweater on but simply my Christmas red velvet dress with the bow tangled up in the back. The matching flats I was wearing was no help from the cold either.

 I have to find a place to hide, down the block there were stores, restaurants and the local hospital, but in the end I decided to go to the park. I begin to walk towards the park across the street. From afar there was only the presence of snow other than that the park appeared to be empty. Seemed like the perfect hideout for me this Christmas Eve. I ran into the embrace of a new world. Each assuring step was foreign to the new world.

“Aeri! Aeri! Where are you?” The familiar voice brought goose bumps to me. I couldn’t let them find me. I ran faster. By the time I stopped running I couldn’t hear their voices anymore. I didn’t know where I was. But there was a piano in the middle of the white field. For moments I stare at the piano until I finally decide to gather up the courage and walk up to it. I slide my hand against the cool surface of the piano. Tracing the keys one by one, the keys were not covered with snow. I sat down on the bench placed right in front of the piano. For some weird reason it seemed as if someone had been here. I place my hands on the keys. I don’t play or move my hands, I just rest them there.

“It’s been a while hasn’t it?” I let out a little laugh. My fingers start to play an old song. I close my eyes, holding back the tears. Once in a while I’d stop forgetting the next note that goes afterwards. The only part of the song I remember by heart was the chorus. Everything seemed fine until the last note, it was wrong. I opened my eyes from the illusion and stare down at the key.

“That key is broken. Don’t worry you played the right note or at least tried.” I turn around in my seat to find a medium height boy buried in his coat. He had auburn colored hair and his eyes. His eyes were chocolate brown. He looks at me and smiles, I smile back politely.

“Well I hope they get it fixed.  I love this song.” He walks closer to me and stands by the piano.

“Don’t count on it. This piano has been here for years and that key has always been broken.” I didn’t notice the pout I put on my face. What’s the point of putting a piano out here then?

“Then why do they have this piano out here anyway? It doesn’t even play properly.” He smiles at me once again and I warm up to him. I make room on the bench for him.

“People love to hear music. Throughout the year, those who could play would play and a crowd would show up just to listen. I usually come on Christmas Eve because no one is around. I have this piano all to myself. But then I leave for a minute and you’re here.”

“Oh sorry. I should leave.” I stand up but he grabs my wrist, stopping me from leaving.

“I didn’t say I didn’t like it. Stay and I’ll teach you the rest of the song. You seemed to have forgotten some notes.” He sits down properly and positions himself for the first few notes.

“But that one key is broken.” He turns to face me and smiles.

“So what if it’s broken?” He said in a teasing tone. I smiled back at him but then the smile faded.

“I don’t understand what you’re trying to say. If it’s broken it’s broken. To be broken means to be ruptured, torn and fragmented. If the it’s broken it can’t play. She has no use anymore. So why try?” My voice grew weak trying to finish my sentence.

“She? You mean ‘it’ right?” I quickly smile and slowly nod. Actually I didn’t. “All because it’s broken doesn’t mean it has no use. It’s simply wounded for now. There’s always a way to fix it even if it takes years.” We sat there in silence until he starts to play. I stare at him and at his hands. Once again I close my eyes and listen. The world seemed to quiet itself to hear him play. It’s been a while since I’ve heard this song, or any type of melody as well. And the way he played it brought back the memories that I dearly kept. For once that broken key did not stand out or sound broken. It actually felt like there was a use. I sat there and held my head down as the tears stain my cheeks. The song brought warmth to me in this freezing cold. He finishes playing and I keep my head down. “What’s wrong?” He lifts my chin gently and makes me face him. “Don’t cry.” What he did next was unexpected. He wiped my tears with his thumb.

“I’m sorry..” I look away and move away from his grasp. I sat on my side of the bench trying to warm myself. Suddenly he stands up and takes off his coat and places it around me. He sits back down next to me and I stare at him.

“There’s nothing to be sorry about…”

“Choi Aeri..” He smiles at me once again and I get that fuzzy feeling inside.

“I like that name.. Well Choi Aeri I’m Byun Baekhyun.” He extends his hand for me to shake. I shake his hand and let the warmth travel to me. “So would you like me to teach you the song?” I nod at him and he takes my hand placing them on the beginning keys. “You know most of the song but you get the beginning wrong. Here.” He places his hands on top of mine, putting a slight force on them, making me play the notes. Though I was playing the notes I froze. The way his soft warm hands encompassed mine sent chills down my spine. I hadn’t noticed I finished the song since I was too deeply asleep in my mind. “See. You’re getting the hang of it.”

“Thanks.” We played a few other songs and talked. I didn’t mind to be spending Christmas Eve with him or even Christmas.

“Aeri.. Uh.. Would- would you like to go on a walk with me?” He stands up and grabs my hand. We start to walk hand in hand and sometimes I’d look down at our hands only to smile.

“It feels nice to be out for once.”

“It feels great doesn’t it? I can’t leave my house as often either.  But for some reason they let me go out for the day. I still have

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter