Created Sapphire

The Crown Jewels

Jungsu nervously eyed the child-minded man currently trying to break the record for 'Highest Number Of Spins On A Swivel Chair In One Minute'. Every so often he'd stop, take a moment to collect himself all the while giggling madly, then take off again in the opposite direction.

Something was suddenly pressed into his hand. "The captain assigned him to us because we have the cleanest record." Youngwoon said, sipping on his own coffee. Jungsu felt the beginnings of a headache stirring behind his eyes. If there was anything he was good at, it was reading between the lines of his captain's orders, and this was screaming at him "Take the cadet or I take your badges!"

"Whoa!" BANG! "Oof!"

Both officers looked down with raised eyebrows at the cadet, seemingly unfazed if his laughter was anything to go by. Picking himself up off the floor, he dusted off his uniform, pushed some of the longer brown strands out of his eyes, and faced the two gawping at him.

"You should try it sometime," was the first thing out of his mouth, "Laughing, I mean. It'll really make your..." His eyes widened when they fell on the elder, "Oh, flying fish! You're Park Jungsu!"

The addressed man blinked. "Yes..."

"Oh wow! Youngwoon hyung told me so much about you!" Snapping his legs together, the cadet saluted them both, "Cadet Lee Donghae, ready to serve sirs!"

~~~~~~

"Donghae?!" Jongwoon asked incredulously, blinking at the sight before him, "You sent someone whose head is so full of water it could be used as a fish farm?!" The woman beside him adjusted her sunglasses and gently a finger down the shell of the turtle sitting in front of her on the counter.

"It wasn't my choice," she replied, "Donghae's a Bluestone, which if well-played will comfirn our suspicions about Jungsu."

"You think Jungsu's a Bluestone, too?"

"Not just any Bluestone, the Bluestone." Jongwoon's jaw promptly hit the counter, making the turtles he kept jump a little, "Don't look so surprised, Jongwoon. I may be highly photosensitive, but I can still see-" A scream from the street brought both of them out of the book store, Jongwoon taking time to hide the wispy ball they'd been staring into moments ago. Once outside, he stopped a woman passing by and politely asked her why the residents of the Citadel were in a panic.

"Th-there's a mob...at the gate!" she shrieked, "I think they're trying to break through!" She suddenly abandoned what rationality she had left and ran for it.

"If there was a mob, there'd be looting and randacking by now," the woman said, her sunglasses glinting dangerously, "There's something else going on here."

"Let me lock up." Once Jongwoon was happy with the security of his book store (and his turtles were back in their home), he assisted the woman into his car and took off for the gate that served as the only portal between the Citadel and the rest of Jewel City, where he spied a small legion of police officers kitted out with riot shields and truncheons. Somewhere around the middle of the group he spotted Jungsu trying to talk to the new "cadet" Donghae, Youngwoon on Donghae's other side looking like all he wanted to do was run home.

"Jongwoon..." A tug on his arm made said man look up at the gate, where he saw what appeared to be a large black wave rise a few feet above the gate before crashing into it, which made it rattle violently on its hinges before stilling.

"Open the gate!" commanded a voice, and when that task was complete the legion flooded out into the city.

"They're going to kill themselves..." Jongwoon sighed, running a hand down his face, "I'm guessing we're going on a little trip then?"

"See if you can contact Donghae on the way. And perhaps Heechul." the woman replied.

~~~~~~

Donghae gaped openly as he followed Jungsu and Youngwoon into Jewel City. "It's so pretty!" he exclaimed, his vision slightly obscured by the helmet Youngwoon had jammed on his head before they left the office.

"This is what we fight to protect," Jungsu whispered to him as the commander began barking orders to everyone, "These people are the reason we come out here."

"So why do we come from the Citadel?" The curious question had shut even Youngwoon up, so Donghae was left to ponder his question quietly as he followed the two officers through the Commerce Quarter. He looked around at the high-rise complexes surounding the three of them on all sides, gazing up toward their spires that seemed to reach for the sun -

"Where is he?!"

All three police personnel stopped when they heard the male voice shouting at them, looking around for its source but coming up with nothing.

"Donghae, there are Chasers in the city. Keep your eyes open and keep Jungsu and Youngwoon out of serious trouble."

Jongwoon's voice immediately put the young cadet on high alert, and as he shifted his posture to accommodate the stirrings inside his body he felt the familiar life-drain effect tingle across his skin.

"Hyung! Get ready!" he called.

"Get ready for what?" Youngwoon called back. His question was answered in the form of three Chasers leaping like cats from the shadows, skeletal arms reaching for the three and long black claws swiping at the air in front of them. Jungsu and Youngwoon immediately reached for their guns out of instinct, but Donghae had beaten them to it.

"Those won't work!" he yelled over a bright blue-green flash of light and a banshee-like scream. Jungsu gasped as Donghae swung off a Chaser's arm like a gymnast's bar, landing in a crouched position underneath the trident he'd stuck into the creature's bony chest. There was another flash of blue-green light, and where the trident had been now leaked deep purple blood that bubbled viciously.

"Don't touch it." Donghae commanded, his persona very different to the swivel chair incident as he spied Youngwoon creeping forward, "That stuff can kill you." The injured Chaser shrieked loudly, its claws scrabbling at the wound on its chest, but before it could make any form of move another trident buried itself into the front of its head, dousing all light in its amethyst eyes.

"These things aren't human!" Youngwoon shouted, "Gah!" A bony arm sent him flying into a nearby wall where he slumped to the ground, down but not out.

"Youngwoon!" Jungsu called out, watching the offending Chaser advance toward his partner with a mixture of horror and fury etched into his face. His fury intensified when, out of the corner of his eye, he watched the second Chaser dig its black claws into Donghae's shoulder, leaving purple-lined puncture wounds that slowly dripped blood onto the street.

Something stirred within Jungsu at that point, something he couldn't quite describe, but it wasnunlike anything he'd felt before. Being a police officer, he was accustomed to feeling a need to proteact those weaker than him, but this...seeing both Youngwoon and Donghae injured...

It wasn't right.

"Hyung..." Youngwoon's shaky voice brought the elder's thoughts out of the red zone, and his sight down onto the blue-tinted sword in the same hand his gun had been in moments ago. The grip he had on it felt comfortable, as if holding a sword had been something he'd been doing for a long time. The blue tint faded, revealing the sword to be silver in colour, the blade approximately the length of Jungsu's forearm, and a single sapphire resting in the centre of the pommel.

A banshee-like shriek signaled a Chaser heading right toward the officer, snapping him out of his admiration for his new weapon. Jungsu turned to lock eyes with the creature, his grip on the sword tightening slightly. "Bring it on." he hissed lowly.

~~~~~~

Dark eyes watched the eldest officer present charge at the Chaser from atop a nearby building, not missing the blue aura that lashed at the other Chaser closing in on Donghae. The incapacitation of his two partners had awakened the Arcane within him, so maybe...a similar situation was needed for the others?

"I came as soon as you called for me," said a female voice behind the man, "Jongwoon will be providing a distraction...now." As if on cue, the faint sound of a melodious voice rose up above the fight and floated through the Commerce Quarter, the Chaser after Donghae stopping long enough for Jungsu to slash at its skeletal back.

"Did you manage to catch Hyukjae?"

"It took me a while, but I caught the monkey." Between the two was thrown a lanky man with dirty blonde hair, his amethyst-tinted eyes glaring daggers at the two of them. He struggled hard against the black cuffs pinning his arms behind his back, but his efforts were in vain; they held fast.

"You're one naughty monkey," tutted the woman, "First you go an distract the heroic trio by shouting at them, then I find you aiming a thunder javelin at our dear Aquamarine!" She shook her head and clicked her tongue condescendingly, "What will the purple bunny say?"

"Don't speak of him that way!" Hyukjae roared, lunging forward but succeeding only in planting his face into the roof of the building in front of the male watching Jongwoon appear next to Youngwoon from the wall then trying to explain to him how he'd done that and the coloured lights Donghae and Jungsu were throwing around during the fight.

"Why? He's not my - shutting up now." A dark glance was thrown at the woman, and she fell silent.

"Jungsu and Youngwoon are under our protection," the man stated, turning around, "The Black Arcane will not touch them."

"The Black Arcane now knows of one of the Crown Jewels, but he's safe for now. Without the Jade General he's useless to us." Hyukjae spat as the woman released his wrists, "We will obtain the power of the Crown Jewels, and when we do...you two are first." Glaring at each of them once more, the blond disappeared in a bolt of lightning.

The four men on the street had disappeared from view by the time two sets of eyes returned, but snippets of their conversation still rose up to meet their ears. "I get letting the monkey go, but wouldn't Sungmin now want to start a collection?" asked the woman, her language different to that which she spoke to Hyukjae with.

"He still doesn't know where the Jade General is," replied the man, "For now,w e have the advantage." The cryptic statement was left hanging between the two like a tightrope walked suspended above a crowd.

"So what about Kyuhyun and Siwon?"

"For them, all we can do is keep as close an eye on them as we can."

"And pray to the Shining Heechul doesn't go back to prison any time soon."

"Youngwoon's a Mineral." That was a conversation changer. The woman's eyes widened to the size of dinner plates, clearly surprised. When it came to knowledge of the Arcane, she considered herself wealthy. But to pick up on that...

"Which element?" she finally breathed.

"I'm not sure. I could feel his Arcane stirring at about the same time as Jungsu's, be he was too injured to do anything. We'll need to keep our eyes on him," The man finally looked at her, "And Donghae, apparently."

"We're always looking out for him. So will I be sleeping tonight or not?" The woman glanced down to the street, where deep purple spots were still visible, and bubbling viciously.

"Yes, you'll be sleeping tonight. Tomorrow I want you to get that book Jongwoon gave to Jungsu before Sungmin does."

~~~~~~

Author's Note: Yes, I know I've been a slack updater, but you try writing then typing.

Anyway...

-Who were the two on the rooftop?

-Why is Jungsu's book so important?

-Should GuardianOfTheDawn include Super Junior ships in this story or not?

I'm seriously debating it here; help me please!

-GuardianOfTheDawn :3