You

Dead Silence



 

"Hyuna! C'mon, we're gonna be late!", Sehun yelled at the girl as she grabbed her graduation gown and hopped into Sehun's car. Hyuna patted around the seats for her cap but smiled when Sehun placed it on her lap. "You're so forgetful sometimes Hyunie.", he teased as he casually drove to their crowded school where graduation was about to take place.

Sehun parked messily along a sidewalk and the two ran to the football field. "Mr. Oh, Miss Kim. For once you're on time to something.", their Calculus teacher said as they put on their gowns and caps. They chuckled and took their seats on the stage, since they were part of the senior year committee.

The ceremony ended quickly, everyone getting their diplomas and then diverging and leaving with their families. "Hyuna! Sehun! Congratulations you two.", Ms. Kim, Hyuna's mom, came over with two gifts in her hand. "I'm so proud of you guys. And I'm sorry your parents couldn't be here Sehun."

"It's fine Ms. Kim. They said they'd take me out right when they come back from China.", Sehun stated and was handed one of the boxes in Ms.Kim's hand. "Oh, Ms. Kim, you really didn't have to--"

"No. It's your graduation day, I had to get you one.", Ms.Kim said while handing Hyuna the other one. Hyuna hurriedly opened it, eager to know what it was. Her face lit up once she saw the cover of the book.

"Oh my gosh! Thank you so much mom! How'd you know I wanted this book?", Hyuna asked as she skimmed through the pages. Ms. Kim smiled at Sehun and mouthed a thank you.

"Hyunae!", a voice said from afar. All three of them turned their heads to see a young man, probably in his early thirties, walk over. "I haven't seen you in ages. How have you been?", he asked Ms. Kim, garnering confused looks from the two graduates. "Oh, these must be you're kids.", the man said while turning to Hyuna and Sehun.

"Hyuna dear, you should leave now.", her mom said, not making eye contact. Before Hyuna could say anything, her mom gave her a tight embrace and caressed her head. "Don't worry about me, just stay with Sehun.", Ms. Kim said in a shaky voice. "Sehun, please take care of her. No matter what.", she said while staring at Sehun. He nodded and wrapped an arm around Hyuna's shoulder.

"But, you'll be home for dinner, right mom?", Hyuna asked. Her mom just gave an unsteady smile and a light nod. "Okay.", Hyuna gave her mom another hug before leaving. "I love you mom."

"I love you too Hyuna."

 


 

Hyuna shot up from her seat, gripping her chest that was blocking her pounding heart from bursting. Her breaths were in pants as she remembered that day, two months ago. She looked around the area, observing her surroundings. She was sitting behind the front desk in the library, blanket wrapped around her and several books scattered around the desk.

Just as she was about to organize everything, she stared at the books, seeing how every single one of them was opened to a precise page. "Northeast of North South.", she muttered the first word of every page, raising an eyebrow. "Whatever.", she closed all the books and piled them up before pushing them to the side.

"Good morning! I brought you a Gouda and ham sandwich, apple juice, and a chocolate biscotti for my sweetie.", Sehun said happily once he entered the room. Hyuna stood up, letting the blanket pool around her feet, exposing her bare legs that were barely covered by her cotton shorts. "Woah. Did you sleep here?, he asked, chuckling at her disheveled state that appeared somewhat attractive.

"I honestly have no idea. I probably was just reading a book and--"

"Fell asleep. Did it every day in school, must've become a habit.", Sehun placed her breakfast next to the pile of books, staring at the titles from the side. "Home, Not What it Seems, Without You, Rather Not? When did you start reading horror stories?", he chuckled, skimming through the book on top.

"I don't know. Trying something new. And this isn't Gouda, it's swiss.", Hyuna whined after taking a whiff of the sandwich. Sehun grabbed the sustenance, taking a bite and focusing on the flavor. "It's fine. It's the thought that counts."

"Aww, that's sweet baby.", Sehun said cutely while patting her head. Hyuna groaned, smacking his arm before retrieving her sandwich. "Okay, how about, I get you some clothes from home really quick, and then I can help around here. Okay?", Sehun cupped the frail girls face in his hands, kissing her forehead.

"Yeah that sounds alri…", her voice trailed off when she noticed the automatic doors opening. A tall young male entered, not making eye contact and walking straight towards the mystery section. "Maybe you should go help him.", Hyuna said while eyeing the tall guy.

Sehun scoffed and shook his head. "He seemed to know where he was going. And if he can't find something...", Sehun paused when he saw a small pout on Hyuna's face. "Fine, I'll go see what he wants.", Sehun groaned and walked over to the man. "Hey dude, my girlfriend over there wants me to ask you if you need help with anything.", Sehun said coldly.

"Well, this book has no barcode.", the man held up a thick book that was indeed plain. But Sehun gave a what-do-you-want-me-to-do look. "I kinda wanna check it out.", the man said, hoping to get an actual response.

Sehun let out a deep breath and turned to the front counter. "HYUNA! This dude needs help!", Sehun yelled and led him up to the front. Hyuna put down her sandwich and turned to the two males. "Something about a book without a barcode.", Sehun murmured and hopped onto the counter.

Hyuna grabbed the book from the guy and examined it. "Unfortunately, I don't think I could check this out to you today. But maybe tomorrow.", Hyuna sat up from her chair and started up her laptop. "Do you have a library card here?", Hyuna asked as she typed in her laptop password. The male shook his head.

"Give me your name and phone number.", Sehun mumbled and took out a sheet of paper. 

"Real name? Or nickname?", Sehun looked up and gave a glare to the man. "Okay. Wu Yifan. Phone number 010-***-****. But can you just put Kris Wu on the card, please.", he asked and Sehun just nodded.

Hyuna stared at Kris for a while, examining his side profile. Kris turned his head and caught her looking at him. Hyuna cleared and nudged Sehun. "Yeah, so we'll call you once we settle this.", Hyuna said and placed the piece of paper on top of her keyboard. "So, you can go home and wait for us to call you, or I could try and get this book to you today.", Hyuna flipped open the book and saw no author, publishment date, or anything.

"Whatever's convenient to you.", Kris said quietly and turned to Sehun. "Your girlfriend's really nice.", he mumbled and walked over to some of the tables in the library. Sehun had a devious smirk on his face as Hyuna smacked his head.

"You said I was your girlfriend? Are you stupid?", Hyuna hissed and Sehun just chuckled. There was a loud bang from somewhere in the library, and Hyuna noticed Kris picking up a chair that fell on the floor. "It's so weird...", Hyuna said quietly as she continued to stare at Kris.

"What is? The fact that you've been in this library your whole life and suddenly this random guy comes in and finds some random book?", Sehun looked at Hyuna for a response, but she just shrugged. "Is he even from here? And what kind of name is Yifan?", Sehun scoffed and shook his head.

 "It's Chinese. But since he uses Kris or whatever, he's probably from America.", Hyuna said and sat back down on her chair., continuing her book.

"Oooh, you sound like a professional stalker. How'd you even know that?", Sehun asked, curious and a little jealous. Hyuna looked at the piece of paper with Kris' name on it a narrowed her eyes.

"I don't know.", Hyuna muttered. Hyuna winced as a feeling of pain hit her brain. She gripped the table, hoping the feeling would leave, but it didn't. A song started playing in her head. "My mom.", she muttered after hearing the voice. Sehun turned to look at her and raised an eyebrow. She noticed her best friends confused look and gave a small smile. "Sorry."

"I know. I think about her too.", Sehun walked around the counter and gave Hyuna a tight hug. "Just relax, I've got everything under control...baby~"

Hyuna smacked his broad shoulder and scrunched up her nose. "Shut up. You know I hate when you say that.", Hyuna rested her head on his chest, gazing up at his angular jaw line.

"I know. That's why I always say it.", he teased. Hyuna simply ignored it, grabbing the book Kris gave earlier, opening it back up to the first page. Sehun scrunched up his nose in disgust at how she seemed so intrigued by words. "I'll go get your clothes now. Books make me gag."

Hyuna giggled at her friend, not taking her eyes off of the book once. Instead of turning to the next page, she flipped all the way to the last one, reading the four words that were in large text: Northeast of North South. She froze. Her eyes darted up, not seeing Sehun around anymore.

She pushed herself up and slowly, searching for the blonde haired male. She finally found him sitting at a table in the back, scrolling through his phone. Hyuna pulled out the seat next to him, sitting down and shoving the book in front of him. "What is this book?"

Kris looked at her with a cold stare. He flipped open the cover, pointing at something, "Precognition. Mythical beings like angels and demons.", he answered in his deep voice. Hyuna noticed that he was now picking at some of the corners, as if he was trying to peel it off. "My friend needs it, but he doesn't like meeting new people."

"Sounds really interesting. But what year was it written? It looks pretty old."

"That's not my forte.", he grumbled his response. Hyuna skimmed through the pages, noticing that it was all written in Chinese. "If anything, you should know. You took over the store from your mother, right?"

"How did you know that?", Hyuna asked curiously. She noticed Kris tightening his jaw before clearing his throat. "Where did you come from?"

"I'm from Michigan. My parents made me move in with my cousin.", Kris' eyes started to wander to her fuzzy shorts, baseball tee and slightly messy hair. "Do you usually go to work like this?", he pointed to her outfit and Hyuna shook her head, still looking at the pages.

"I fell asleep here. Sehun's getting me some clothes though."

"Oh...your boyfriend."

"He's not my boyfriend."

"Does he know that?", Kris joked. Hyuna looked at him, raising an eyebrow. "Just asking." He shrugged. Hyuna rolled her eyes, going back to reading the book. "Y-you know Chinese?"

"I learned it back in elementary school.", she muttered. "Thou will nev'r forget a face. The faces thou meet in life, will be implant'd in thy brain f'r eternity.", Hyuna read and chuckled, "You're into some dark stuff Yifan."

"I guess you could say that. I just enjoy seeing the minds of other people and how they see the world, you know?", Kris leaned a bit forward, catching a clearer view of her fac as she continued to read the pages , obtaining the information rather quickly.

"Hyuna! Hey, what's up stupid?", a bleached blonde, tan-skinned male asked. Hyuna groaned, slamming the book closed and looking up at thee guy.

"I don't know idiot. Tell me, how's the air up there? I think it's clouding your brain.", Hyuna retorted.

"Shut up. You don't wanna seem like a in front of your boyfriend there."

"Ugh. As if. This is Kris, he's a local civilian whos is looking for a book. And this here is Kai, an who loves to screw anything that moves.", she introduced the most monotone voice possible.

"Anyways, have you seen Sehun? He said I could borroww his car to drive South because after that senior party when he got you drunk and--nevermind. Where is he?"

"He did what?", Hyuna asked Kai, curious to what he was talking about.

"Okay, he might've spiked your drink and then made out with you for like thirty minutes before I pushed you into the pool and then I don't know. He took you home or some .", Kai explained, showing no sign of regret.

"That bastard.", Hyuna graned. "He'll be here soon, just. Wait here.", Hyuna stood up, dragging her feet across the floor towards th front of the library in plans to wait for Sehun.

Kai laughed as he heard her mutter curses to herself while walking away. "Aye, so, where'd you dye your hair? It looks really good.", he asked Kris who was blankly staring at the book beside him.

"I'm a natural blonde. But if I were you, I'd go for a darker shade or maybe a brown."

"You gay?"

"Wh-what? No, I'm not gay."

"Oh, you ain't into labels, huh? I can dig that.", Kai sniffed before taking Hyuna's previous spot.

"No. I like women."

"So that's why you're flirting with my ex?", Kai suddenly blurted. Kris opened his mouth, about to protest, but Kai beat him to the punch. "I mean, go ahead. The chick doesn't even put out and she's been like crazy depressed since what happened."

"I didn't even know that you two dated. I just came here to get a book.", Kris mumbled. Kai scoffed and leaned back in the chair, balancing himself with his legs on the table. "So, uhm, what happened? She doesn't seem so...down.", he asked. Kai looked back before turning back to Kris and leaning in.

"Her mom went missing at graduation. Then they found her the next morning - dead.", Kai whispered in an eerie voice. "She broke up with me like a week after. She couldn't deal with it man, it was crazy."

"She's good at hiding it. I would've never guessed."

"Yeah, well, Sehun's been distracting her to the fullest. And she reads books like twenty-our seven."

"And you don't care that Sehun has a thing for her? You all seem so close."

"Whatever. After all that's happened, it'd be nice to see her happy again. She's a sweet person.", Kai glanced back to where Hyuna wandered, "But, I swear man, if you reiterate anything I just told you, one of us will be dead.", Kai said, wagging his finger back and forth between the two of them.

"You have my word.", Kris replied softly, moving the book in front of him and flipping through the pages.

"You are so stupid Sehun!!", the two turned their heads whenthey heard Hyuna yell at the front of the library.

"Let the show began.", Kai chuckled and headed over to the bickering pair. Kris followed shortly after, carrying the book in his hands. He grabbed a random book off one of the shelves and went to the front desk.

"Sorry about that.", Hyuna said with a smile once she returned to the counter, grabbing te books he picked out. She held the book on top and chortled, "A Passion for Donkeys?"

Kris cleared his throat, trying to think of an excuse. "I like ma-mammals." Hyuna raised a brow and shrugged, scanning the barcode.

"Okay, I'll make you a deal.", Hyuna started, reaching for the unknown book and holding it up. "I will let you keeep this book, you don't have to return it or anything, if...", she turned to the last page and pointed at the words. "What does this mean?"

Kris squinted his eyes, not sure what she was talking about. "Uhm, is this a trick question? Because there's nothing but a black glob here.", he said. Hyuna glanced t the page, still seeing the words there, written perfectly in caligraphy.

"Here are your clothes. And now I have to take tan Barbie over there to Jung's house or something.", Sehun said, placing a bag beside her computer. "I still can't believe that you dated that tool."

"Yeah, me either. But Hun," Hyuna held the book up to him and pointed to the words on the page. "Can you see this?"

"What? The glob?", Sehun asked, making Hyuna groan.

"Are you two blind? It says Northeast of North South.", Hyuna said, dragging her pointer finger across the words.

"Hyuna, that's crazy. It doesn't even make sense.", Sehun said, rolling his eyes and walking back to the tan blonde waiting for him by the exit.

"Wait, Northeast of North South?", Kris questioned.

"Yeah. It's weird, right?" Kris' eyes widened and he reached for his back pocket. "Ugh, forget it. You can keep the book. It's not my kind of thing anyways." Hyuna handed him the book and plopped back into her seat. "It was nice meeting you though Yifan. I hope to see you around."

She flashed a bright smile, her eyes curling into crescents, making Kris feel suddenly euphoric. "Y-yeah. Maybe." He gave a soft smile before grabbing the books and leaving the library.

He tossed the books onto the passenger seat and his hand reached for his pocket again. He pulled out a crumpled phot and his fingers lightly brushed the matte material until it ran straight again. He stared at the girl in the picture, blonde hair in a bun, bangs hanging down her face and that unforgetable smile etched across her lips.

"It's you."