chapter 3

The Girl On The Rope
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

First Steps Into The Misery


 

Kai sat there, watching his friends having fun by teasing each other.

"Don't tell me you got your eyes on her." Kris chuckled as he and Sehun were talking about some princess of some kingdom. 

"Well Lu Han, can marry everyone he wants." Baek Hyun said and pouted out of envy.

"Is that right?" They all looked at Lu Han who was munching his food in a fast speed. He stuffed his mouth with bread like someone would do after having nothing to eat for 8 days, before gulping it down with water. 

"Hmm?" Lu Han noticed that all eyes were focusing on him. 
"Chill, dude." Kris, the fabulous , looked disgusted by Lu Han's manners. 
"Is that right that you can marry the one you like without any consequences?" Suho repeated Baek Hyun's question and Lu han stopped munching looking a little lost.

"I don't know either." He gulped down the last piece of bread he had. Why is he so hungry? Kai thought to myself since it seemed like he hadn't eaten for days when they just had a big meal yesterday. 

"You don't know? Well you're the king of Assentior. So you can decide whom you want to marry." Kris stated but Lu Han didn't seem like paying attentin to him since Carla arrived.

She bowed towards the young dazzling princes and silently placed another plate of bread in front of Lu Han who had his eyes all over her. Those 5 seconds she was present brightened up Lu Han's mood in an instant. 

So this was the reason why he was eating like some pig. Crafty bastard. I should have known it. Kai thought and rolled his eyes at Lu Han's purpose while the others smirked and sent each other silly smirks.

"Save your erted talk." Kai said and glared at them knowing there was some joke going to escape their lips.

"And you Lu Han... " His eyes turned towards him who shoved the next piece of bread into his mouth, looking like some kind of hamster. 

"You better keep your eyes off her." Kai said getting straight to the point and Lu Han raised one eyebrow not looking amused.

"M-Make me!" He muffled nearly choking on his bread. Kai frowned at his comment and realized how Lu Han smirked at him before he started coughing on purpose. 

He hit his chest with his fist and acted like he was choking and everyone believed his act except for Kai.

"Get him water. Fast!" Kris commanded and Ahri rushed to the kitchen. Kai chuckled at Lu Han's silliness but his chuckle fade at the presence of Carla who was running to Lu Han's side. She back hugged Lu Han and firmly pressed her arms against his chest and repeated the same action until he spilled out the piece of bread so that it landed right on Kai's flawless face.

Lu Han bagan breathing normally and heaved a dreamy sigh as he looked at Carla who was panting slightly. Kai scoffed and noticed Carla's flushed face. She was about to go to his side and wipe his face clean when Lu Han grabbed her wrist preventing her from doing so.

"Oh dear, you saved my life. How can I thank you?" Lu Han said, adding unnecessary drama.
"It's okay, your highness." Carla bowed towards him and gently tried to brush his grip off her wrist. 

"Don't be modest. As reward for your help I will make you my personal maid." Lu Han said as he acted like Romeo. 

"Personal what?!" Kai hissed and stood up.

"I said personal maid. My personal maid. Mine." Lu Han rose up and smirked in victory but that dropped as Kai grabbed Clara's arm, dragging her with him to the kitchen. No way in hell, he's gonna get what he wants only because he's a king. Kai hissed as this thought crossed his mind.

On his way there the both bumped into Tiyeon who looked like she had seen a ghost. Kai knew this look. Something had happened. 

"What's wrong?" His burrow furrowed as she rushed towards him with a letter in her hands. 

"What's this?" Kai asked and she handed him the letter. He looked into her eyes that showed nothing more than worry. With a bit of hesitation Kai pulled the envelope open. 


She stands for the half...

 

"She stands for the half?" Kai raised is one eyebrow in confusion as he read the only thing that was written on the piece of paper. 
"Is this all?" He asked and Tiyeon nodded. 
"What is this supposed to mean? Where did you get this?" He was puzzled just like her.
"I don't know but princess Arina is gone." Tiyeon said and this is when his eyebrows went into a straight line. 
"What do you mean by gone?" Kai questioned and she shrugged. "Where could she possibly go all by herself?"

"I went to her room this morning but she was gone. I thought she left to get some fresh air but she didn't return." Tiyeon said and Kai looked again at the letter looking in hope of finding something else written on it.

"Are you sure she's gone. She might also be in my mother's room or somewhere in this mansion."
"I've already looked everywhere. I even told Lay to make a ride and search near the village but she's nowhere to be found."

Kai sighed and rubbed his temple out of frustration. She just had to make trouble in the morning. Aisssh, this woman. It's not like he cared for her anyway. 

"What should we do?" Tiyeon asked and Kai shrugged. 
"I don't know. Let's wait until it gets afternoon and if she still doesn't return, I'll send a posse of searchers." He said but Tiyeon still looked unsure.
"But isn't that too late?" 
"I think it's fine since she knows perfectly how to defend herself." Kai stated because Arina had proven to him her killing skills yesterday at the haunting game. One reason less to not worry about her.
"Let's wait and see." Kai said and Tiyeon nodded before she grabbed Carla's arm ready to return to their dorm.

"Wait, Carla." Kai made her face him.
"Don't let Lu Han get too near." He said and she slowly nodded. 
"As you wish." She mumbled and looked back at Tiyeon before they left. 

 

Kai decided to head back to his room. He placed the letter on his desk and with a sigh he let his body drop on his king sized bed. He wanted to rest before his daily training would start. His eyes closed and his breathing calmed as he laid there, thinking of all possible things. The silence took place however there was this soft breathing, interrupting him in his state. He sat up and scanned his room for any other presence just to spot a little frame leaning against the wall.


"Jini?" Kai's burrow furrowed as he looked at the girl that had her knees pulled up to her chest. Her eyes were closed so he assumed she was gone, somewhere far. 

The view of the girl made him want to get closer. Without any further thinking, Kai got off his bed and walked to his maid before he sank down next to her. He tried his best to not get her out of her present condition, especially as the wood made some creaky noise. A relieved sigh escaped his plump lips as he settled himself into a more comfortable position. 

What now? He thought to himself and kept his eyes lowered to the ground. Why is she sleeping in my room on the floor? Kai found it a bit weird but still shrugged it off. 

Slowly his eyes traced the sides of her petite yet strong body, until they ended up at the sight of her peaceful face. Almost automatically Kai's hand reached out to put her bangs aside but his attempt got stopped by Jini herself. 

Her eyes burst open as she took hold of Kai's wrist in an instant. He let out a low shriek and his eyes widened in surprise at her sharp reflex and precise moving. 

"What are you doing?" She asked and gazed at him who gulped. 
"I was just... I-I was..."
"It's okay. Well, it's actually my fault for being here. I am sorry." Jini was about to stand up but Kai pulled her back down. 

"Do you often sleep here?" Kai asked and Jini looked taken aback. She didn't know how to answer because she didn't want him to feel bothered since she spent nearly every forenoon in his place but she didn't want to lie either.

"Do you remember my first day here?" Jini asked and Kai frowned slightly as he tried to remember. 
"I think yes." 
"Well, you told me I can always come to your place and I actually never thought I'd take this offer but soon I found out that your place always calms me. I-I like t-to stay here." Jini confessed and Kai smiled at her blushing face. He remembered that day as Jini was much younger and looked like a lost puppy everytime she was clueless. But now. Now she looks like a beautiful young lady. 

"You can always come to my place." Kai smiled at his hard working maid and she blushed even morr. I mean c'mon. Who wouldn't blush at the sight of prince-charming's sweet smile?

"Thank you but I need to go now and help Nanna." She said and stood up, ready to leave. On her way to the door she passed Kai's desk, just to walk back towards it. 

A sudden gasp escaped , as her gaze met the letter that was lying on the table. Her eyes darkened as she looked at the symbol of the letter. The symbol was black unlike the usual letters that got a red symbol. But what caught her attention the most was the half skull on it. It seemed like she knew this symbol. 


"Where did you get this?" Her finger pointed at the letter and Kai got up before he walked towards her. 
"Tiyeon found it this morning in Arina's room. Maybe some punk was up for a cheap witticism. I don't think it's important." He said but Jini still looked unpleasant. 
"Is there something you want to tell me?" Kai noticed her empty stare towards the piece of paper. 

"Hey, Jini?" He called out her name but her eyes didn't avert from the letter. 

"Are you okay?" His question didn't seem like arriving her mind as she still kept stiff. 

"Jini?" This time Kai called louder and caused her to jump out of shock. 
"What's wrong?" He made her face him but Jini avoided his eyes. 
"Sorry.... I hadn't enough sleep last night. I am so clumsy. Anyway I really need to go now." Jini removed Kai's grasp that was on her arm before she headed towards the exit. She left his sight while he was watching confused. 

As she was completely gone, Kai's eyes turned to the letter that was on his desk. He picked it up and just then he realized something he should have noticed before. His burrow furrowed as he watched closely the black symbol. He knew this symbol. 

Kai pulled up his sleeve and gazed at the emblem that he received yesterday night. It looked the same as the one on the letter. It had the exact same half skull on it. 

"She stands for the half?" He mumbled to himself as he read the sentence and repeated it again and again in his mind. 


What could this possibly mean?

 

 


♦♦♦

 

 

"What's u

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter