Part 18

The King and I

The next morning, sunlight poured in from the vast windows that adorned the king’s room. Floor to ceiling, covered with glass, shined in the early morning hew. As I regain my consciousness from a hard night of slumber, I am surprised to find that Baekhyun is gone.

“Your majesty?” I call out.

There is no answer.

“Baekhyun?” I try again.

Just then, I hear the clinging of pots coming from the first floor and realize that he must have woken up for breakfast. The dark interior, the metallic smell, all give off the nature of being lonely. I look around the room, and feel a wave of solitude wash over me. Though this house holds many fond memories of his majesty’s childhood, now, it seems odd and desolate to even be considered a memory.

“Do you plan on staying in bed all day?” Baekhyun questions. He is standing in the doorway adorned in a brightly colored robe to match his smirk. I always wonder how perfect he looks no matter what he is going through. In between his mother being shot and a war that is about to break out between our neighboring countries, his majesty seems, calm.

“Sorry, I was just thinking, that’s all,” I reassure.

“Thinking about what, my love?” he asks as he inches closer to the bed. Never will I ever get used to his velvety voice coupled with the scratchiness of morning.  His tousled hair and untied robe make him look younger and normal.

“How much I love this place, and you,” I manage as I stuff my face into the pillow. I hear a soft chuckle and feel the bed shift from Baekhyun’s weight. He’s currently sitting against the headboard, while I’m still from last night’s activities. Nothing is keeping me covered except for the thin silk sheet that is draped over my lower back.

“Have I ever told you how beautiful you look against the morning sun?”

“Yes, your majesty, every morning,” I mumble into my pillow.

“Then, why don’t you let me see your face?” he starts. I do everything in my power not to turn around and look at the king. For some reason I feel shy and giddy whenever I meet his eyes first thing in the morning. It is almost as if he has this spell he casts whenever he is in close proximity to me. Sensation takes over my body, and I will myself to refrain from exposing my true thoughts.

“Come on, let me see your beautiful face,” he teases as he tries to pry me away from my pillow. I giggle at the king’s childish attempts and finally turn on my back to greet his shining face.

“There you are,” he coos as he bends down to plant a kiss on my lips.

This moment. This moment in time, when I am kissing the man of my dreams seems almost irrational. How I have attained a man so resilient and pensive blows me away day after day.

I push myself off the mattress and climb onto the king’s lap. His silky smooth robe comes in contact with my sore skin and sends a rush of cool, relief that I had been craving. Baekhyun’s hand rests lightly on my back as I reach out and wrap my arms around his slender neck. Our lips are met in a heated dance as each one tries to dominate the other. I rake my fingers through the king’s hair and pull slightly to deepen our kiss. A soft groan sounds from the depths of his majesty’s throat that sends pure ecstasy to the pit of my stomach.

“God, I wish you never wore clothes,” Baekhyun says as he rubs both hands against my back.

“Then I would have to stay in bed all the time,” I pant.

The king latches his lips onto my neck and begins like his life depended on his. I drop my head back as the sensation of his lips consumes my every desire.

“Exactly,” the king mumbles against my neck. “But I have something to show and if we continue this, I won’t be able to,” he admits.

“I thought you wanted me in bed and all the time?”

“As much as the idea appeals to me, I have something very important to show you,” he laughs. “So, today I will make an exception and allow you to dress,” he states.

~*~*~

“How is your mother doing?” I ask as we make our way down a dirt path.

I glance over at the king, and his face reads a sign of weariness.

Does he not know if his mother is okay?

“She’s fine,” he asserts. I loosen my grip on his majesty’s hand, only to be captured again by the king’s strong hold. It worries me that a king so mighty cannot even pay a visit to his dying mother’s bed.

As we reach our destination, I am met with a vast landscape that stretches for what seemed like eternity. The giant patches of green and the rows of untouched flowers bring peace and serenity to anyone who come to visit. The view of the city from the king’s palace does not compare to the view of vast mountaintops peeking out of the earth to get a glimpse of the still, morning sun.

“It’s beautiful your majesty”

“It is indeed,” he whispers. “How would you like to spend the rest of your life here?” he questions.

I tear my eyes from the beautiful landscape and face the king. His expression is unchanged.

“I don’t understand”

“We can live here,” he says. “I bought the land in hopes of constructing a new palace, for us.”

“Y-your majesty, what about the one you have now? How will your mother come and visit in such a condition?” I question.

Baekhyun grabs my hand and brings me into a tight hug.

“I don’t care about the one in the village. I don’t care that my mother can’t visit us. All I care about is you, and only you,” he admits. “I love you Chanyeol and I will do everything in my power to be with you. So, please, live here with me.”

I turn and take a look at the view once more. The seeping sunlight mixed with the evergreen mountains induce a sick feeling within me. A feeling that I have never experienced before. A feeling of wanting to break away and hide. I stood there thinking of all the possibilities that had to change in order for me to be standing in this exact spot. How many people got hurt in order for me to be in the king’s arms.

“Chanyeol, please come back inside, its cold,” the king says. I turn back around to see the king smiling and stretching his arms for me to be in them. The warmth of the king’s arms, the coldness of the world, ‘I can’t have both’ I thought.

            “Sorry your majesty, that I couldn’t be the man you dream of every night,” I whisper.

            “What? What are you talking about Chanyeol?”

            “I would like to go back home, to my village, with my family”

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

okay I know it's been over a month and I ended on such a horrible note.

DON'T HATE ME!

anyway, i'm so sorry I haven't been able to update in so long. College apps and school have been a real challenge.

Oh, and good news! I accepted into my dream college last night, so I went and celebrated instead of updating, sorry.

Please enjoy this chapter and please let me know what you think. I really appreciate each and every one of your comments!

follow me here!

P.S excuse any mistakes and my horrible attempt at fluff!