Blocking Out

Searching For That Voice

"Work with me here, Jonghyun!" The slightly orange glowing light exclaimed, unfortunately, neither Kibum or Jonghyun were teenagers yet and Kibum couldn't truly talk to the boy on the other side. 

"My mother needs these." The twelve year old Jonghyun said outloud, thinking he was only talking to himself.  A figure all in black emerged from the alleyway behind an abandoned bar, where Jonghyun, stood alone under dimming street light. Yes, Jonghyun referred to Minho's mother as his own. She was the only mother he had. 

"Jonghyun, please don't. Don't interact with this man!" Kibum tried to will Jonghyun, but unfortunately, Kibum could feel the path of his words to Jonghyun's mind fade and grow black. "No! No....don't block me out!" 

"Kibum ah, you can't reach him!" Jinki, a worried green color, said to the now shaking black light. Kibum couldn't get through to Jonghyun. He felt like a failure. This wasn't the first time Jonghyun had blocked Kibum out, and it happened much more frequent with Jonghyun than it did with Minho. 

"They just keep getting younger and younger, don't they?" The tall man said, darkly chuckling. "Kids like you come around trying to get these miracle pills for yourselves or your family. Listen, these pills aren't miracles, they're drugs that keep you going until you crash. These aren't medicine, they're a desperate last resort, and an expensive one at that. So you, you stupid kid, pay me in full or run away before we come find you and your sick mother." The man threatened. Jonghyun shook in anger and fear. 

"I have your money. The pills, please." Jonghyun said, as politely as he could, through gritted teeth. How dare the man threaten his family and insult his need for the pills. It eased her pain, rejuvinated her, and was a lifeline for all of them. He needed them and wouldn't let some thug dealer stand in the way of that. 

"Where'd you get this money? Huh, kid? Do you steal?" The man asked, egging Jonghyun on. 

"Jonghyun, come back to me! C'mon!" Kibum screamed. 

"Do you sneak around picking peoples' pockets boy?" The man continued, enjoying Jonghyun's reaction. 

"Jonghyun...please." Kibum pleaded. Everything was still black. 

"Or, do you sell yourself? On the streets at night you sell your body to get money for what you wish was a miracle. That's what you do, isn't it? I bet a lot of guys would love to have a prize like you" The man jeered, mocking Jonghyun, reducing his existance. 

Kibum couldn't stop Jonghyun. No one could stop him as he lunged forward, punching the man in the gut. Jonghyun was much stronger than he appeared. The man grabbed the light boy picking him up by the collar and then slamming him down on the floor. After a few kicks to the gut and a grab for the money he had in his coat, the man dropped the pills and sprinted away into the darkness. Jonghyun lay there, breathless, eyes barely open. His vision was then clouded with a silvery light. 

The path reappeared and Kibum could feel Jonghyun's thoughts and presence again. 

"Oh thank god." Kibum said, relieved and disturbed. If block outs were this common with Jonghyun, Kibum feared that when the time came for them to find each other, they wouldn't be able to. 

"Hyung! Hyung!" Minho called out, looking down every corner and alley he passed. 

"Minho, it's very dangerous at night. Go home." 

"I have to go find my hyung." Minho said out loud, eyes narrowing and forehead creasing in determination. This was the first time that Jinki felt such raw determination from Minho. It left the young conscience conflicted. Should he let Minho go find Jonghyun? 

"Hyung! Answer me! Where are you?" Minho called out again. 

"Minho. You have no idea what lurks around the corner. Please." Jinki continued, trying to save Minho from what had happened to Jonghyun. 

This continued for a while longer, Minho hesitating to go further the more Jinki urged. 

Finally, Minho was about to head back in defeat, when he heard whimpering. And everything went black for Jinki. 

"No! Minho!" 

"Hyung!" Minho exclaimed when he saw a bruised Jonghyun laying in the alleyway with the bag of pills next to him. 

"You came out here for those?" Minho asked in surprise. He had seen his mother's pills before, but thought they came from the bottle in the bathroom cabinet, not the street. 

"I took up a job in the bakery. They needed work and they pay me. I got enough money for the pills." Jonghyun said, wincing as Minho lifted his head and settled it on his lap.

"Hyung. Why did you go?" Minho whispered, lip quivering as tears began to flow down his cheeks. 

"It was the right thing to do, Minho." Jonghyun said, looking up at his best friend. 

Back at the castle, Kibum became a deep, blue color, while Jinki remained a confused, stormy black color. 


A/N: So now they're 11 and 12 and are experiencing block outs frequently, if you were confused. Jonghyun and Minho have to struggle to get by. Hope you enjoy the story so far! Please comment!!