CHAPTER II

Uncommitted

Mihyun sighed gratefully as she leaned her back against a tree.

Her first morning in high school was already stressful. The opening ceremony lasted for an hour--an hour too long in her opinion. When she got into her home room, she realized the girls that disliked her were in her class and sat behind her, often snickering and gossiping bait her. If that wasn't enough, her teachers were already assigning work for them to finish by tomorrow. Mihyun finally realized what Baekhyun was going through when he went into high school and could not play with her sometimes. Life of a high school kid was definitely challenging.

It was now lunch time and a lot of the students were in the cafeteria, the majority of the freshmen taking up space, much to the senior's distaste. Even when she was in elementary, Mihyun had a strong dislike towards crowded areas like cafeterias, which was why she was currently outside, munching on a triple chocolate chip muffin and sipping a yogurt drink. 

Mihyun didn't mind being alone. She preferred the comfortable silence rather than an awkward one with a person she could not talk to. She was unbearably shy and would not contribute to a conversation unless it was needed. Baekhyun tried helping her overcome her shyness but it probably got worse.

unlike Mihyun, Baekhyun was a social butterfly, which is how he snagged the cute Park Soora during his second year. Baekhyun was a flower boy and was part of the school's exclusive band, EXO. They performed at dance and singing competitions and were constantly advertising for their school. Mihyun knows all of the members despite not actually talking to them. 

There was Kim Minseok, the oldest one out of the 12. Luhan, Zhang Yixing, and Huang Zitao were the popular Chinese students. Other than her brother, Yixing was the only other person Mihyun talks to in EXO, only because Yixing also doesn't say much. Kris Wu Yifan was also a Chinese student but he came from Canada. Kim Jongin was their lead dancer and local Cassinova, Do Kyungsoo was the lead singer as well as Kim Jongdae. The leader, despite not being a lead at anything was Kim Joonmyun. Mihyun thought he had a nice and sincere smile. Next there was Park Chanyeol, who wasn't really that good at dancing but was best friends with the members and could rap pretty well. Plus, he was extremely good looking.

Then, there was Oh Sehun.

Mihyun couldn't even begin to describe Oh Sehun, the maknae of EXO. He often only provided back up vocals for their songs but Mihyun really liked his voice. His dancing on the other hand was amazing. Mihyun had told Baekhyun once that if Yixing and Sehun dance battled, Sehun would win, much to Yixing's annoyance. Sehun was also pretty popular with the girls, being tall and ridiculously handsome. She's had at least one conversation with the other EXO members but with Sehun, she's never actually talked to him. Not even a simple hello and good morning despite the fact that the literally lived a few meters from each other. Mihyun was grateful for that because if they had talked, she most likely just blurt out her feelings then and there. 

They were strangers and Mihyun would like to keep it that way.

---

"Yaaah, Chanyeol, seriously, we have practice, don't ditch!" Baekhyun whined.

EXO was currently out and about, eating sandwiches and walking, simply talking about their first day. They were currently discussing their practice times and Chanyeol had an excuse that he had a project to work on that day.

"I'm serious! Min Hwajung wanted us to work on it!"

"it's the first day of school, hyung. I doubt you have a project already." Sehun argued, earning a glare from Chanyeol.

the others agreed, clearly not buying Chanyeol's reason. 

"Just come with us and we'll let you--"

"Oh, Mihyun-ah." Yixing suddenly said, splitting himself away from the group to go over to Baekhyun's sister.

"Mihyun?" Jongin asked when realization struck him, "Baekhyun's pretty younger sister!"

"Yah." Baekhyun said, not liking the tone Jongin used, "Don't even try it."

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. "You're so overprotective over Mihyun, Baekhyun. She's never going to get a boyfriend with you constantly scaring away all the boys within her perimeter."

All the boys started arguing that Baekhyun should let them talk to her. Sehun was the only one who wasn't participating and was simply watching Mihyun interact with Yixing. He saw Yixing's normal poker face disappear and be replaced with a wide smile, matching Mihyun's as well.

Sehun snapped out of his thoughts when someone accidentally pushed him.

"Oh sorry Maknae." Luhan said before facing Baekhyun again.

"As long as I'm here, no one in EXO is going to have my sister." Baekhyun said firmly, arms crossed and giving everyone a look that got his point across, "She's my baby sister, obviously I don't want you guys around her."

"What about Yixing hyung, then? Ever since he transfered in elementary, you've been letting him hang out with her so comfortably. He even left us just to go talk to her and you didn't even complain." Jongin reasoned and a chorus of "yeah" and "that's true" could be heard.

Baekhyun scoffed, his arms still crossed. "That's because Yixing hyung is quiet and reserved, just like Mihyun. I don't need to protect her from guys like you 'cause I know hyung is a gentleman."

"Eyyy, we're gentlemen too!" Tao argued.

"Whatever guys, stop talking about my sister like I'm giving her away." He turned and grinned, "Besides, I approve of Yixing hyung to be Mihyun's boyfriend."

For some reason, Sehun didn't really like the sound of that.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

--------------

unedited! Sorry for some mistakes!