four.

(Can I Be) Close To You

"So how are things going with Myungsoo?"

"Behher."

"Is this a bad time?" Sungjong asked over the phone, amused.

"Bruhing mah teef." Suzy replied simply as she leaned over her balcony, toothbrush in hand.

"Please, Suzy." Sungjong sighed dramatically. "I'm a guy, too. Can you at least try to act lady like in front of me?"

 Suzy shrugged even though she knew Sungjong couldn't see her. "I'm a lahee," She said, "I am acfing lahee like."

"Right. Maybe you should stop talking now."

Suzy chuckled as she shifted her phone against her ear. "Wha's up?"

"So you know how I said that you should try talking to some of Myungsoo's friends?" Sungjong asked.

"Mmhmm."

"Well apparently one of Howon's friends went to the same school as Myungsoo."

Suzy hummed in response, stifling back a yawn. She absentmindedly wiped at the toothpaste on her chin as she stared blankly at the blinking lights of the city below.

Suddenly, a fluttering movement caught her eye and she looked up, trying to locate the source. The night air was still and nothing seemed amiss, causing her to tilt her head to the side in confusion. She could have sworn that she had seen movement coming from the direction of Myungsoo's window, but the blinds to his room were closed tightly shut and the lights were off.

"Suzy?" Sungjong called, pulling her out of her thoughts. "Did you hear me?"

She pursed her lips for a moment longer before she turned to walk back into her room. "Sohhy, can you refeat faht?"

 

 

 

 

Myungsoo sat quietly on his bed, the light from the moon spilling into his room and illuminating his face. He was watching the girl next door from his window in silence, the frown on his face deepening the longer he stared. It was his first time seeing the face that accompanied the voice outside his door, and honestly, he didn't really know how he should feel. She didn't look much different from when she was younger.

Suzy (that was her name, right?) was standing on her balcony, hair wet and toothbrush in mouth. It looked like she was talking on the phone, and Myungsoo watched curiously as her expression changed from amused to sarcastic to thoughtful─ all in a matter of seconds. Myungsoo wondered how a person could possibly be so energetic.

He felt his eyes narrowing when he saw toothpaste begin dribbling down her chin and he sighed, rolling his eyes as he shut the blinds and turned away from the window.  

"What happened to being pretty?" Myungsoo scoffed to himself. He couldn't help but think of how adamantly she had insisted on how beautiful she had become, and he chuckled in spite of himself, shaking his head.

 

 

 

 

Suzy plopped down in front of Myungsoo's door excitedly the next day, a wide grin on her face.

"Good morning, Myungsoo!" She chirped excitedly, "I have something cool to show you! You're awake, right? Right?"

She heard a sigh from beyond the door followed by the soft pad of footsteps. Suzy smiled and began speaking again after a momentary pause of silence.

"I found out a way for us to talk to each other!" She said, barely able to contain her excitement. "We can use Morse code! That way we can communicate even if you don't want to talk, and we can have secret conversations! And─"

"That's stupid." Myungsoo said suddenly, cutting her off.

Suzy blinked, surprised that Myungsoo had actually answered. She had expected him to just ignore her.

"What's the point of having secret conversations when there's no one listening to us?"

"Oh.." Suzy mumbled, looking down. She hadn't thought about that.

"And why would I want to memorize an entire code when I can just open my mouth and talk?"

"True.."

"And how would we use it when you're in your room? I doubt you'll be able to hear it."

Suzy blinked, feeling slightly stunned. Rather than feel hurt by Myungsoo shooting her down so coldly, she instead felt pleasantly surprised. She hadn't expected him to give the idea so much thought.

"You were planning on talking to me when I'm in my room?" She asked coyly, smiling in spite of herself. "I didn't mention that."

Myungsoo was silent for a moment before he coughed, his voice coming out sharp when he spoke again. "Anyway, it's a dumb idea."

"I guess.." Suzy trailed off, resting her chin on her knees. "I just wanted to figure out an easier way to talk to you.."

Myungsoo didn't say anything and Suzy sighed, turning to glance at the door. She opened to say something before Myungsoo suddenly spoke, causing her to pause in surprise.

"I have a phone, you know."

"You do?" Suzy asked before she could stop herself, her eyes widening in surprise. It just seemed so odd for someone like Myungsoo to own a cell phone, and she couldn't seem to wrap her mind around it.

She could practically hear Myungsoo rolling his eyes from behind the door as an exasperated sigh escaped his lips.

"Obviously."

 

 

 

 

An annoyed huff escaped Myungsoo's lips when he once again heard his phone come to life with vibrations. It had only been a few hours since he had given his number to Suzy, and already his phone had rang more times than it had in a month.

Myungsoo chose to ignore the device, but to his dismay it began vibrating once more before it had even finished shaking the first time. With a groan, he reached for his phone dejectedly.

To: Kim Myungsoo

From: Bae Suzy

hi myungsoo!! this is your number right? i hope you didn't give me the wrong one  ´ ▽ ` )ノ

To: Kim Myungsoo

From: Bae Suzy

hey myungsoo what are you doing right now? (・∀・ )

To: Kim Myungsoo

From: Bae Suzy

this is myungsoo right...? (´ヘ`;)

To: Kim Myungsoo

From: Bae Suzy

your mom is coming over for dinner tonight! you should come with her (^▽^)

Myungsoo scanned over the first few messages quickly, fighting back the urge to roll his eyes. Suzy was one of those girls that texted frequently and used a ridiculous amount of emoticons. Reluctantly, he typed a quick reply to the girl before putting the phone away. He had barely set it down when it suddenly came to life once more, causing him to groan.

To: Loud Girl

From: Myungsoo

no

To: Kim Myungsoo

From: Bae Suzy

you finally responded!! ´ ▽ ` )ノ im at the store rn you should come join me

To: Loud Girl

From: Myungsoo

i refuse

To: Kim Myungsoo

From: Bae Suzy

i could really use someone to help me carry all these bags... (´ヘ`;)

To: Loud Girl

From: Myungsoo

o

To: Kim Myungsoo

From: Bae Suzy

what kind of food does your mom like? ( ・◇・)?

To: Loud Girl

From: Myungsoo

idk

To: Kim Myungsoo

From: Bae Suzy

what do you like then? i'll make you something yummy! (-^〇^-)

To: Loud Girl

From: Myungsoo

no ty

To: Kim Myungsoo

From: Bae Suzy

i'm hurt (╥_╥)

To: Loud Girl

From: Myungsoo

ok

To: Kim Myungsoo

From: Bae Suzy

there must be something that you want to do or somewhere that you want to go ( ̄へ ̄)

To: Loud Girl

From: Myungsoo

not rlly

To: Kim Myungsoo

From: Bae Suzy

look in the sketchbook! (^▽^)

Myungsoo paused and looked up from his phone, glancing at the door. On the ground was Suzy's sketchbook, lying where she had left it after shoving it under his door earlier in the day. Curious, he dragged himself up from where he was sitting and picked the book up, carelessly flipping the pages open.

He ignored the ones that he had drawn on and glanced towards the back of the book, pausing when he reached the first page he had not seen already. Written in what he assumed was Suzy's neat handwriting was a small message:

Places to go.

Myungsoo turned the page and a sketch of an ocean looked back at him. He stared in awe at the picture, fascinated by the detail as he sat back down on his bed and flipped the page again. The next sketch was of a forest, and the one following that of an intricate, winding city.

Each page had a new drawing, and Myungsoo found himself growing more and more interested with each new image. He wondered when Suzy had found the time to draw so many, and so perfectly at that.

When Myungsoo reached the last page he paused, eyes widening in surprise. Up until now each sketch had been in black and white, but the one on the last page was drawn in full, vibrant colors. It was a wide field, filled with bright yellow sunflowers, and Myungsoo smiled in spite of himself as he reached out to touch the page.

Myungsoo's phone vibrated again and he turned towards it, reluctant to tear his eyes away from the picture.

To: Kim Myungsoo

From: Bae Suzy

did you choose one? ^^

Myungsoo stared at the screen, hesitating before he began typing back a quick reply.

I want to go to...

 

 

 

 

"Hmmm..." Suzy murmured quietly to herself as she pursed her lips. She was strolling aimlessly through the market, basket in hand, unsure of what she should get. Her mother had told her that Mrs. Kim would be joining them for dinner, but the girl had no idea what she should get. Myungsoo of course had been no help.

Speaking of Myungsoo, he hadn't replied in a while. Suzy frowned as she stuck her hand into her pocket, reaching for her phone. Right when she touched it the device began vibrating and her face broke out into a grin as she pulled it out.

She looked at the phone excitedly but frowned when she saw that it was a call, and that it wasn't from Myungsoo.

"Hello, Howon." Suzy said briskly as she brought the phone to ear, glancing back at the shelves before her. Did Myungsoo's mom like curry? She could make curry, in fact it was one of the few things she was good at making.

"Hello, Princess." The older male answered.

"What's up?"

"Sungjong tells me you want to talk to one of my friends."

"Oh, right." Suzy said, her interest suddenly flaring. "Can I have his number?"

"Sure, I'll text it to you." Howon replied. "You should be able to find him pretty easily."

"Thanks! What's his name?"

"Kim Sunggyu."