12.

She's A Fantasy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was clear to say that Jihyun was speechless as she put the diary back down on the table, making sure it was placed correctly as it was where it was left so her sister would not know her diary had been read. But Jihyun didn’t have time to react because she could hear the faucet being turned off and quickly fled from the room back to hers. It was then did she slump down against the door, dumbfounded.

She didn’t know her sister liked Sungyeol and she did not notice that Sungyeol had a crush on her. How could she not have noticed the signs? Thinking back, now it was really obvious that eve a monkey would’ve known what was going on. Sungyeol was always with her, and always asking her to hang out with him. And her sister was always smiling whenever she was with him. It all made sense now — not that she even knew anything before. She shook her head, unsure of what and how to react.

Should she say something to her sister? Should she tell Sungyeol she knew about his plans tonight? Why didn’t her sister say anything? Weren’t the two of them very close and told each other anything and everything? But then again, if she was being honest to herself, there were things she didn’t tell her sister either. The separation of their parents changed that.

She sighed, her mind heavy with the sudden incidents. I should probably talk to Hyunyoung about it first, she told herself with determination. Tell her I know about it. . . . And then what? And should I tell Sungyeol that I already know what he planned to do or just let him carry on with his plan? She messed her hair up, groaning with slight frustration. She had no idea how long she sat there, leaning against her door when she decided to tackle one thing at a time and made her way to her sister’s room.

But her sister wasn’t there and her room was dark. Jihyun mentally cursed herself for taking a long time thinking about what to do. Her eyes darted toward the table and saw that the diary was no longer there. She walked down the stairs and found her mother in the living room with a book on her lap. “Where’s Hyunyoung?” she asked.

“Your sister just left,” her mother replied without looking up from the book. “She said Jongie needed her to be there early, something about him freaking out or whatever. I can recall what she said exactly.” Her mother waved a hand dismissively. “But, whichever the case, she’s not home.”

“Oh.” I’ll just have to talk to her tonight, before the play starts. “Thanks, eomma.” She turned around and noticed she didn’t have much time to freshen herself up for the night. “I’m gonna take a shower now.”

“Jihyun-ah.”

“Mm?” She turned back.

Sora smiled softly at her daughter, putting the book down on her lap. “Remember that no matter what happens, blood is thicker than water. Sometimes we may not understand why people do the things that they do, but the least we can do is respect their decisions. After all, all things do happen for a reason.”

Jihyun’s eyebrows furrowed together in confusion, albeit nodding her head as if she agreed with her. What was her mother saying, or trying to imply? Wait . . . does Sora know about Sungyeol liking her and Hyunyoung liking him? But when she looked at her mother, Sora had her head bowed down to her book again.

“I suppose this would be one of those times, huh, eomma?” she muttered under her breath, going back up the stairs, but her mother’s words stayed with her in her mind. It stayed there even when she was driving to school later that evening. Jihyun didn’t know why she felt rather bothered about it.

But she didn’t have time toponder much about it as by the time she had arrived at backstage, she was ushered immediately into the changing room where she was flocked by the makeup team in getting ready. By the time she was done, it was almost time to start and she had no time to go look for Hyunyoung without ruining her makeup.

Just as she was about to sigh in defeat, slumping into her chair, Hyunyoung came into the room. “Wow, eonnie, you look amazing,” her little sister marveled, smiling warmly at her as she eyed her up and down.

Jihyun cringed inwardly as her sister flashed that sincere smile at her. How could Hyunyoung still smile at her, knowing her sister was the one who had settled within the depths of the heart of the man she was in love with?

“Hyunyoung, listen, there’s something I need to tell you —”

“Hyunyoungie, there you are!” Sungjong poked his head through the door with a huge yet nervous grin on his face. “There are so many people here in the theatre! It’s starting soon, come quickly! Oh, and Jihyun noona, you should come out too; the play is about to start and we can’t go on without our female lead.” And with that, he disappeared but not without giving a wave before he did.

Hyunyoung turned back to her sister, giving her a quick hug of encouragement before placing her hand on the small of her back and lightly pushed her toward the door. “We’ll talk after the play, okay? Good luck, and have fun! You can do this!”

“Wait —”

But Jihyun was shoved out of the door and was led to the stage for the opening act by Sungjong.

Telling herself to calm down, that she would try to find time before the closing act where she and Sungyeol would have to kiss, she stepped out onto the stage when it was her turned, walking over to her position and opened to sing. She sang so sweetly, so beautifully, and it captured the attention of the whole crowd.

It was clear why she was casted as the main female role: she was amazing.

“Who is there?” she heard Sungyeol’s voice from behind her, on the opposite side of the ‘wall’ that separated them. Quickly, she slipped away from the stage to the back again, as Sungyeol ‘walked’ inside the room to find it empty. She peeped her head out to watch and her breath was caught by the sight of him dressed up as a prince. Sungyeol caught her eye from backstage and winked at her, causing her heart to do somersaults.

He really did look like a prince; tall, handsome and he held his head up in a manner which gave the audience the sense of authority. Jihyun smiled softly. Well, no wonder Hyunyoung liked him.

Right. . . . Hyunyoung . . .

Sighing, Jihyun turned away, unable to stop herself from disgusted that she would hurt her own sister like this. I’m so sorry, Youngie.

 

The play continued, marvelling the audience, taking in every detail of it as if they were part of it. The last act drew nearer and Jihyun was a wreck, looking for her sister. She needed to let her sister know before Sungyeol confessed to her, before it was too late. She needed to let her sister know how sorry she was, that she was going to be hurt.

A huge wave of relief washed over her when she spotted her sister standing at the back, a camera slung around her neck, and quickly sauntered over to her before she had to go up on stage for the final act. “Hyunyoung!” she exclaimed, grabbing her sister by the arm. “Listen, I need to talk to you.”

Hyunyoung blinked, startled, looking up from the pictures she had taken of the play to add to the yearbook. “Eonnie, you have to be up in five minutes.”

“I promise that five minutes will be all it will take,” Jihyun promised before glancing around to see if Sungyeol was anywhere nearby. “Listen,” she said, dropping her voice so that no one could hear her, “I know what Sungyeol plans to do on the last act.”

Her sister’s eyes widened in surprised and she clamped her hand over . “H – How did you know that? Wait, eonnie, did you read my diary? You’re not supposed to —”

“Yes, I might’ve accidentally read your diary

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter