First

ѕωєєт đɾєåмѕ

7pm

 

The minute hand ticks on sluggishly, traveling slower than a snail's pace. Meanwhile, the hour hand remains glued; pointing to the seventh figure.

He lays slumped against the table top, eyes fixated on the wall clock. He counts down the seconds before the minute hand inches forward ever so slightly.

Time was his greatest enemy now.

 

Daehyun should be done from work.

 

The two tiered caramel and chocolate cake stood tall in the centre of the table. The cake which he had painstakingly spent the entire afternoon baking was soon forgotten. He scrapes the flawless white table top with his blunt fingernails; he never was a fan of waiting.

 

7.10pm

 

Daehyun should be driving home now.

 

A heavy sigh breaks the eerie silence - other than the quiet ticking of the clock, the house was devoid of any other noises. He finally tears his eyes away from the clock and focuses on the cake instead.

The chocolate icing on the top had begun to melt and the condensed water was dripping off the edge. It was by far the toughest pastry to bake and he truly hoped it wouldn't go to waste.

 

~~~

 

7.30pm

 

There were still no signs of the older.

Youngjae couldn't bear to watch his cake melt bit by bit so he had no choice but to place it back into the refrigerator.

 

Daehyun should be home now.

 

Youngjae props his head up with his hand and resumes his countdown.

 

8pm

 

Daehyun is late.

 

8.30pm

 

Did he forget?

 

Youngjae jerks away from the table as the shrilling ringtone startles him.

"Hello? Why are you so late?.. Oh, traffic jam huh... Alright, drive safe baby."

Sliding back into his previous spot, he sighs heavily again and resorts to playing games on his hand phone instead.

 

9pm

 

That must be some heavy traffic.

 

Youngjae had long given up on playing games; he was far too distracted to concentrate on eliminating two headed freaks.

 

10pm

 

Countless "where are you?" and "what time are you coming back?" texts were sent to the currently MIA older. Youngjae only got a "soon" reply before Daehyun decided to ignore the rest.

He was starting to get awfully sleepy - it was hard not when all you could do was stare at the clock. The slightest noise coming from the door makes him jump up, expecting to see Daehyun burst in with millions of apologies. But that never happened.

 

10.30pm

 

Youngjae dashes to the door as the doorbell rings. He flings it open and nearly slams it shut in frustration when he realises it wasn't Daehyun.

"Jung Daehyun wants you to have this." The woman hands over a large bouquet of scarlet red roses, adorned with the most beautiful shade of purple. Slightly stunned, Youngjae nods in a silent thank you and receives the exquisite bouquet.

A smile spreads across his lips as Youngjae fingers the soft petals. He gently places the bouquet onto the table and answers the phone once more.

"Hey baby, received the flowers?" A slightly out of breath voice asks over the phone.

"Yes, I love them." Youngjae whispers back, smiling although Daehyun can't see him.

"I'll be back soon, don't wait up for me okay? Go to bed now, it's late."

"No way and why do you sound like you just ran a marathon?"

"N-nothing. Go to sleep okay." Daehyun hurriedly hangs up before Youngjae could question him any further.

 

Daehyun stammers when he lies.

 

~~~

 

11pm

 

Now Youngjae was really having trouble staying awake. His eyelids felt like they weighed a ton and his head kept lolling to the side.

 

It's going to be over before Daehyun even reaches home.

 

The roses had been tucked carefully into vases around the house.

Looking at them just intensifies the longing ache in Youngjae's heart.

 

Daehyun wouldn't forget; he did send flowers after all.

 

"Daehyun, come home quickly :(" Youngjae sends the text and rests his head against the table. Waiting was so torturous.

 

~~~

 

11.40pm

 

Youngjae snaps his head up as he hears someone unlock the door. He squeals like a little child who just saw candy and engulfs Daehyun in a crushing embrace - relived that he was finally back.

"Why are you so late?" Youngjae wrinkles his nose at the older's pungent odour but stays put.

"Happy second anniversary baby." Daehyun kisses Youngjae's forehead and presses a wrapped up box to his hands. "I thought you had forgotten about it." Daehyun knew he had been forgiven judging from the huge grin Youngjae had. "Open it." Daehyun urges him on as Youngjae reluctantly lets go of his waist.

He shreds open the gift and yells in excitement; he definitely didn't expect Daehyun to buy him the limited edition King's headphone.

"Oh my god, thank you! H-how did you get these?!"

"They were sold out in many stores so I had to travel around for quite a while before I finally found these. But I bought roses too." Daehyun smiles back just as widely, all that running around like a mad man paid off. Just seeing his lover this hyped up brought indescribable joy to him. It was weird how he could feel so intoxicated with delight from someone else's contentment.

"I'm so famished." Daehyun slackens against Youngjae's shoulders, nearly knocking him over. "I baked a cake for you." Youngjae heaves Daehyun over to the kitchen and drops him onto one of the chairs.

He retrieves the cake from the refrigerator as Daehyun's eyes follow it hungrily. Daehyun grabs a fork from the nearby counter and plunges it into the edge of the cake, separating a chunk of it before delivering it to his mouth.

"Hey! Who the eats cake like this?!" Daehyun ignores the younger's protests, humming in satisfaction at the soft and sweet texture. "I do." Daehyun smirks and separates another chunk of cake. He offers it to Youngjae who sighs but eats it as well.

"Damn Jae, I swear you bake the best pastries ever." Daehyun swoons at the sweet combination of chocolate and caramel - his favourite flavours. Youngjae beams widely and thumbs the chocolate stain off the corner of Daehyun's lips. "Slow down Dae." Failing to find a napkin, Youngjae the chocolate stain off his thumb instead, earning a different kind of hungry look from the older.

 

12pm

 

Daehyun manages to polish off the smaller top tier of the cake while Youngjae watches on in astonishment.

"This is the best cake I've ever eaten." Daehyun stretches a little as Youngjae keeps the rest in the refrigerator. "C'mon lets go to sleep." Daehyun drapes his arm across Youngjae's shoulder and leads him off to their shared bedroom. "Hold on!" Youngjae detours back to his precious yet forgotten headphones and put it away safely into his drawer.

"You like those headphones more than me now?" Daehyun pouts a little and tugs him down onto the king size bed.

"Yes." Daehyun gasps in pretend shock and clutches his chest like he had just been shot through the heart.

Youngjae chuckles at the ridiculous display of drama. "I like those headphones but I love you Daehyun." He plants a kiss onto Daehyun's lips.

"I love you too baby." Daehyun joins Youngjae under the plush covers and snuggles up against his chest.

"But hell, you really stink Dae."

"Hey, I sweated so much for you. These are perspiration of love." Daehyun edges onto Youngjae's pillow and hugs his back while pressing his face to his soft hair.

"Oh eww, okay I get it, now sleep." Youngjae twists around in Daehyun's arms, the tips of their noses grazing lightly.

"You're so beautiful Jae." Daehyun whispers softly; he lovingly Youngjae's cheek, caressing the soft and smooth skin. The younger responds with a soft hum as he gently places a finger on Daehyun's lips in a silent gesture to shut him up.

 

"Sweet dreams."

 

~~~