Christmas Eve

Merry Christmas, Kyungsoo

Kyungsoo continuously tapped his pen on the desk as he anxiously finishes his blue print for a big project on Christmas Eve. This is torture, he mentally notes. He couldn't take it anymore. This blueprint took him 2 hours to just sketch, he wanted to finish this up so he could spend the next couple of days with Soo Mi. Kyungsoo takes a sip of his second cup of coffee that he had just purchased.

 

Kyungsoo had the patience of an ahjussi and a temper hotter than boiling tea. But he had one soft spot and only one. It was his girlfriend, Kang Soo Mi, the love of his life. They've been together for 5 years now, Kyungsoo hadn't been any happier in his life.

 

His family background was simple. They had enough money to be called high class. His father owned a big Interior Designing company and his mother was an artist, both giving Kyungsoo support into his career.

 

Soo Mi on the other hand came from a fairly poor family. She lived with her mother since she was 15 after her father left them. Inspired by all of the experiences she had with her family members having varies of cancer, she decided to become an Oncologist. 

 

Kyungsoo was more than excited to spend this Christmas with her. After all, for the past two years, her study sessions had gotten in the way. He completely understands how much this means to her. But he felt that spending Christmas together was much more important.

 

Kyungsoo swiftly packed up and exited the cafe. He shivered as he entered his car but the anxiousness building inside made him start to sweat. He stopped by Soo Mi's favorite bakery to pick up a box of macarons. 

 

"Soo Mi is so lucky to have a boyfriend like you, Kyungsoo." the familiar face said as she handed him his change.

 

"I'm not that great.." he chuckled. "Happy Holidays!"

 

"Happy Holidays!" she replied.

 

Kyungsoo drove to the Hospital where she has her intership at and walked down the hallways searching for her pretty face. There she is, he remarked. He smiled and decided to suprise her.

 

"Soo Mi, room 266 needs you." her classmate said as she caught a glimpse of Kyungsoo. He put a finger to his lips telling her to shush while Soo Mi complies and leaves for room 266. 

 

Soo Mi was exhausted. She was on her feet since 7am, she didnt have breakfast yet and she had gotten in a fight with her brother to start the day off. 

 

Kyungsoo slowly crept behind her and squeezed her petite waist with his warm arms. She yelped before giving a weak smile to her loving boyfriend.

 

"Hi baby" he said before he spun her around to give her a kiss.

 

"Hi." she faked a smile and returned the kiss. "Are you still busy? How about I take you out for a lunch break?" he offered. "We can sit on the bench on the top floor and eat. I got you macarons."

 

She slowly nodded and rubbed her eyes cutely. He smiled and ruffled her hair. "They need you in room 266, Doctor Kang. I'll see you in a bit?"

 

"Arasso, oppa." she tiptoed to his level to kiss him and walked off to where she needed to be.

 

"Soo Mi, Go ahead and check the patients sugar levels.. and then you'll be done for the day!" Doctor Lee said.

 

Soo Mi's eyes opened wide. "Wait.. Really?" she said.

 

"Why? Do you want to work overtime like the past two years? I'm not that evil." she chuckled. "It looks like your boyfriend is excited to see you. Its seems that I've been the main reason why you missed the last two Christmases."

 

"Aniyo! Thats not true-"

 

"Soo Mi.. Take the rest of the day off.. You've been working really hard. I see great potential in you. Merry Christmas." Doctor Lee smiled.

 

"Thank you Sunbae.. Merry Christmas!" Soo Mi waved good bye before greeted the patient.

 

"Good afternoon, Mrs Choi. How are you feeling?" 

 

"A little bit dizzy.." she weakly said. Soo Mi's heart ached a little and softly smiled at her. "Well I'm going to check your sugar levels to see if you need the medication or not, okay?"

 

Soo Mi carefully checked it and reported it in the patients file. "It looks a little low. I'll be right back, Mrs Choi." Soo Mi hastily walked to Doctor Lee's office to report.

 

"Great work, Soo Mi. Have a merry Christmas." she smiled.

 

"Merry Christmas, Sunbae!" 

 

Soo Mi happily skips down the hall to meet with her boyfriend when her best friend Eunji stops her. 

 

"Yah.. Why do you look so happy.." she asked.

 

"Sunbae gave me the rest of the day off."

 

"Lucky.." she stuck a tongue out. "I have to 24 hour duty again this year..." she sulked.

 

"I dont" Soo Mi mocked. "Thats because you have a boyfriend! Doctor Lee probably felt sorry for Kyungsoo. Geez how can he stand this for so long. Isnt his patience capacity the size of a pea?"

 

"He's just a really great person, thats all." Soo Mi's eye filled with love.

 

Eunji gagged, "Yuck.. Hey! I got an idea!"

 

"Shoot."

 

"How about you pretend that you have the 24 hour duty again this year! That'll probably drive him out the apartment and then you could make a nice dinner for the two of you.. Bam! It makes up for the last two years!" 

 

Soo Mi's face lit up in excitement, "Thats genius, Eunji! I love you!" she hugged her. "Wait.. But I dont know how Kyungsoo will react.. He would be so mad.."

 

"This could test how great of a boyfriend you think he is.."

 

"True.. I feel bad torturing him like this."

 

"It'll be fine. He's forgiving isnt he?" Soo Mi didnt reply. Eunji soflty nudged her elbow against Soo Mi's arm. "Oh come on.. He's a total push over when it comes to you."