The greatest gift of all

The greatest gift of all is you

You wake up to Seunghyun kissing you softly on your forehead. You open your eyes and he’s sitting over you in bed, a little cat like smile on his face.  He’s wearing the red robe you gave to him the night before that matched the one you got yourself. It’s true that couple’s robes were cheesy but you two loved to be cheesy and silly, it was the perfect gift.

‘’Merry Christmas Jagiya’’ he whispers and kisses you again.

You grin ‘’Merry Christmas Oppa.’’

It was your first Christmas together and it seemed all the more magical after having got engaged the week before. You knew this would be the best Christmas you would ever have, sharing it with the love of your life and you had a very special surprise waiting for him. But you were saving that for later.

‘’Shall we go see if Santa visited?’’ he says with a wink.

You laugh and shake your head as you get out of bed. You had gotten up during the night to leave his presents under the tree while he slept and had found that he had done the same at some point as well. You were both constantly on the same wavelength, always trying to out please the other.

You pull on your robe and slip your hand into Seunghyuns as you both make your way downstairs. It’s only 7 am and it’s still dark outside, which makes the living room downstairs look like a wonderland.

Red lights glow from the Christmas tree and Seunghyun had already lit the logs under the fireplace which made the room toasty and warm. You grow excited as you see all the carefully wrapped gifts surrounding the tree. You couldn’t wait to see Oppa’s face when he opened his.

Seunghyun settles in front of the pile of gifts, his wrapped in blue paper with little snowmen, whereas yours were cute and pink. It was the only way you could tell each other’s presents apart.

You sit down next to him and he nudges you with his toe.

‘’Open yours first baby.’’

The way he calls you baby makes your cheeks blush. You still weren’t able to get over the effect his deep rumbling voice had over you when he called you cute little pet names.

You didn’t mind going first but at the same time you felt a little nervous. You didn’t know how Seunghyun was going to react to the main gift you had for him. You could only hope it would please him rather than make him unhappy.

He had gotten you so many presents that you don’t know where to begin. You start with the bigger ones and grow excited like a giddy child. The first one is a brand new pink laptop, exactly what you had needed since your old hunk of junk had expired well past its use by date.

‘’Oppa!’ you exclaim ‘’This is far too much!’’

He tuts ‘’Nothing is too much for you Jagiya, now open the rest of them.’’

You quickly move onto the other gifts and find gorgeous new dresses, all in your favourite colours, pink, purple and deep red. Along with new shoes to match each of them. You’re surrounded in piles of fabric by time you get to the last and smallest gift.

You look at it questioningly as you open it carefully. It’s a little velvet box and you let out a gasp of shock when you open it. It’s a ring, adorned in 5 little sparkling diamonds set on a gold band. You slap a hand to your mouth and almost drop it.

‘’Seung hyun, oh my, oh my goodness, what is this, I mean, this must have cost, so much, i-‘’

‘’Jagiya’’ he cuts you off ‘’It’s your engagement ring, you didn’t think I wasn’t going to get you one did you?  Now put it on so we can see how it looks.’’

Your hands are shaking as you pull the ring from the box, so Seung hyun reaches over with his large steady hands and slips it on for you.

‘’Ah’’ he whispers and plants a kiss on your hand ‘’it looks beautiful’’

You feel tears in your eyes and throw yourself at him so he won’t see. He wraps his arms around you tightly as you nestle onto his lap and kiss his face multiple times.

‘’Thank you, thank you, thank you’’ you repeat with each kiss and he laughs.

‘’You deserve the best Jagiya, never doubt that’’ he says seriously and kisses your cheek.

‘’Now, how about I get started on my gifts?’’

You nod and turn around on his lap to face the next pile of gifts.

You feel butterflies in your stomach as his hands reach around you to grab a present.

You saved up for months just to get the few presents you could afford for seung hyun. While he had a high paying job, you only had a very basic salary. You hated that you couldn’t get him anything extravagant but you refused to borrow money off him as it wouldn’t feel right.

He opens the first one and finds the 200 dollar watch you had both seen in a shop window not too long ago. It was gold and very stand out-ish, exactly your Oppas style and you knew he had to have it.

‘’Ahhhhh Jagiya, this is amazing’’ he gushes as he quickly pulls it on ‘’I told you not to spend too much on me!’’

‘’Don’t worry oppa, that was the most expensive.’’ You assure him and kiss his cheek ‘’I hope you like it.’’

The rest of his presents consist of sweaters, shirts and even socks. While these weren’t overly exciting you knew it would please Seung Hyun as he was constantly purchasing new clothes. He was a fashion addict.

‘’Oh baby, these gifts are just, they’re amazing.’’ He says ‘’You know me far too well.’’

‘’There’s still one more’’ you say quietly and get up from his lap ‘’Wait here.’’

He frowns up at you as you pad into the kitchen. You had kept the next gift safely hidden in a box of raisin cereal, as you knew Seung hyun would never come across it there, it was his most hated type of food.

You stare at the small envelope in your hands that have suddenly become sweaty.  Seung hyun was your soul mate, the only person you have ever loved without question. You would do anything for him and you knew he felt the same way. But with this gift, you truly had no idea how he would react. You knew you were happy, more happy than you could ever possibly be, but you didn’t know if Seung Hyun would feel the same way.

You take a deep calming breath before returning to the sitting room, where a confused looking seung hyun stares at you.

‘’Jagiya, I hope this isn’t anything expensive.’’ He says sternly as you sit next to him ‘’You know being with you is the greatest present of all.’’

You roll your eyes ‘’Be quiet and just open it.’’

You place the envelope in his hand and avert your gaze from his. You truly think you are going to be sick all over the presents as he slowly opens the envelope and then pulls out the picture that’s inside.

Everything is quiet as he stares at it. His eyes are wide and his mouth is open slightly. Neither of you say anything and you begin to think he’s unhappy, maybe this isn’t what he wanted. Maybe it was just too soon.

Just when you’re about to give up hope and apologise you see tears slip down each of his eyes as he turns to look at you.

‘’We’re having a baby?’’

 ‘’Merry Christmas, Seunghyun.’’ You say quietly and smile.

Seunghyun rubs at his eyes with the sleeve of his robe before jumping up excitedly.

‘’A baby, we’re having a baby Jagiya!’’ he exclaims and scoops you up in his arms.

You wrap your legs around his waist and he kisses you deeply, as if he was trying to transfer all the love he had in his body into yours.

‘’We’re going to be a real family now’’ you whisper when he pulls away and you cup his tear stained face in your hands.

You both stare at each other and smile until it seems like your faces might crack.

‘’I’ve never wanted anything more than to be with you Jagiya, and to start a family with you. This is truly the greatest present I have ever received.’’

You had never heard Oppa’s voice filled with so much raw emotion and it makes you cry even harder. Neither of you came from loving families, nor did you have happy childhoods and you both dreamed of having families of your own where you could make up for the childhood you both had lost. Now that dream was coming true, everything you both had ever dreamed of has suddenly become a reality.

That’s when you notice snow falling outside the window from the corner of your eye.

‘’Oppa, look.’’

He sets you down on the ground and you both walk hand in hand to look outside. Snow covers every inch of your front garden, children are running around in the street, building snowmen and having snowball fights. It’s just like a scene in those cheesy Christmas movies you and Seunghyun had been watching ever since December first arrived.

Seunghyun places his hands on your belly and he rests his chin on your forehead.

‘’Merry Christmas , my beautiful angel.’’ He murmurs.

you turn your head so he can bend to kiss you.

‘’Merry Christmas, Oppa.’’

Then you’re in each other’s arms again. Embracing the warmth that is true love, embracing the place, that you both call home.