식샤

Let's Eat

First, thank you thank you thank you for all the comments T.T I’m sorry I don’t reply, but of course I read every single one and love every single one of them <3

Basically this started off as a one-shot spinoff from Let’s Eat and was not planned as a series in the first place, hence this is marked as ‘COMPLETE’ after the first chapter was posted. But then I started another chapter because the drama is just toooooooo awesomeeee wowwwwwww!!!!

And this chapter was inspired from Let’s Eat episode 10 when Sookyung asked Daeyoung why the name of the blog. In case anyone wants to know lols. Anyways, enjoy! , I should have done my work and I did this instead ugh I am so screwed OTL.

 

 

 

He had always been tiny.

 

 

Gaunt face, small nose, pouty lips, wide eyes, and even wider smiles.

 

 

When Goo Daeyoung was first introduced to Yang Yoseob, he could tell that the small boy was dying to hide behind his smiling mother, but because Daeyoung was sure Mrs. Yang had told him that it was rude, Yoseob stood his ground and stared at Daeyoung.

 

 

“Hello,” Daeyoung smiled, offering his hand out to shake Yoseob’s.

 

 

Yoseob stared at Daeyoung, and then at his offered hand, and then at Daeyoung again, and at his offered again. Then he looked at his own hands, “… my hands are dirty.”

 

 

 Mrs. Yang immediately looked down at his son, “Yoseobah, you cannot –“

 

 

Daeyoung started laughing because Mrs. Yang was such a nice woman and her son, Yang Yoseob, was such an adorable kid. “It’s okay, don’t worry about it. Yoseob is funny.” He continued laughing while looking at Yoseob’s confused face.

 

 

“Ah, then… we will go to our rooms and get cleaned up…” Mrs. Yang said bashfully, before she bowed politely to excuse herself and pulled Yoseob along.

 

 

Daeyoung chuckled as he watched the small boy shuffled away.

 

 

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

 

 

Mrs. Yang had been in the Goo family as a domestic helper since Daeyoung was still in primary school. She was kind-hearted, soft-spoken and she made super delicious meals for the Goo family – this was a really important point for Daeyoung. His mom loved Mrs. Yang like her own sister and had been suggesting Mrs. Yang to take her family from the suburb into the Goo house and stay as one big family. With a sincere smile, Mrs. Yang put the suggestion aside every time the topic was brought up. Daeyoung always wondered who cooked for Mrs. Yang’s son.

 

 

But when Mr. Yang was deceased because of a fatal incident in the Yang family’s hometown, Mrs. Yang had no choice but to fetch Yoseob and got him to stay together with the Goo family. Daeyoung’s mother was too happy about the decision.

 

 

So they lived together under one roof.

 

 

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

 

 

“Are you going to school on Monday?”

 

 

It was a lazy Saturday afternoon – it was a lazy any day for Daeyoung, anyway – one week after Yoseob had moved in with Mrs Yang. Both of them were squatting under the sun, removing weeds and dried leaves from Daeyoung’s mother’s beautiful garden at the back of the spacious house. Correction, Yoseob was doing those while Daeyoung just squatted next to Yoseob and followed the small boy everywhere.

 

 

“I think so…” Yoseob answered, without looking at Daeyoung, still focusing on his tasks on removing the weeds and dried leaves.

 

 

Daeyoung visibly beamed, “Are you going to the primary school near the middle school I’m going to? If you are, we can go to school and come back together every day. I think my eomma has taken care of all the registrations and stuff for you.”

 

 

Yoseob frowned. He did not know. “I don’t know.”

 

 

“Let’s see your uniform then! I will know once I see your uniform!” Daeyoung was already up on his feet, offering his hand to pull Yoseob up, too.

 

 

Yoseob craned his neck upwards to look at Daeyoung, the sun was blinding so he narrowed his eyes and could only see a dark shadow of middle-schooler Daeyoung. He looked at the older boy’s offered hand and he looked at his own hands, “… my hands are dirty.”

 

 

Daeyoung laughed, so loudly that Yoseob frowned. “Oh man, that’s not important. Come on, show me your uniform!”

 

 

Daeyoung quickly held Yoseob’s dirty hand in his own clean one and pulled the small boy up (also ignoring Yoseob’s protests), squeezing the soft and tiny hand in his grasp.  He was wondering how could Yoseob’s hand fit his perfectly.

 

 

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

 

 

Yoseob pulled on Daeyoung’s navy uniform jacket. A big smile on his face, twinkles in his eyes as he looked up at the taller boy. He was so excited.

 

 

“Yes, can I help you?” Daeyoung looked down and asked, he could not help but to smile back because the primary-schooler was too adorable.

 

 

“식샤를 합시다! (Let’s eat!)” Yoseob said.

 

 

There was a pause when Daeyoung stopped walking and so Yoseob stopped walking too. They were on their way home from school – Daeyoung from his middle school and Yoseob from his primary school which were nearby each other – when Yoseob was suddenly talking formally to him.

 

 

“Um, why are you talking formally to me?” Daeyoung frowned.

 

 

Yoseob was quiet and he frowned too, “… um, I learnt it from school today so I thought I should practice on you.”

 

 

Daeyoung laughed, “Thank goodness, I thought you were uncomfortable with me or something.”

 

 

Yoseob shook his head because it was ridiculous. How could he even be uncomfortable with Daeyoung when he was the only one who could go into Daeyoung’s room and play with the older boy (and he cleaned it at the same time because goodness, the room was a pigsty).

 

 

“Oh, you pronounced it wrongly.” Daeyoung corrected, “It should be 식사 (shiksa = meals) and not 식샤 (shiksya). Get it?”

 

 

Yoseob nodded slowly, pronouncing it a few times to get it right, but failed to do so after several attempts. “식샤... 식샤... 식샤... 아... 야...”

 

 

Upon hearing Yoseob trying his best, but failing to pronounce the work correctly, Daeyoung chuckled and ruffled the smaller boy’s hair affectionately. “It’s alright. We can have 식샤 special only for Yang Yoseob. Is that okay?” Daeyoung bent down and flicked the tip of Yoseob’s nose playfully.

 

 

Yoseob nodded once and beamed. Oh boy, he had something special just for him. This was so exciting.

 

 

“Alright!” Daeyoung clapped his hands as he straightened up, “식샤를 합시다! (Shiksyareul Habshida)”

 

 

The older boy held Yoseob’s soft and tiny hand in his as they strolled to a street vendor at the side of the road to get some really delicious tteokbokki (spicy rice cake). Yoseob did not say his hand was dirty anymore as he let Daeyoung lead him to get some food.

 

 

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

 

 

They had a nine-year . So basically, when Daeyoung was on his last year of middle school, Yoseob was just in his first year of primary school. And when Daeyoung was serving his first year of mandatory military service right after he finished high school before he entered university, Yoseob was only in the 5th grade of his primary school.

 

 

Daeyoung was such an Ahjussi to Yoseob even then.

 

 

But Daeyoung liked it when they ate delicious food together, so he often researched for famous restaurants and bring Yoseob to eat there. Yoseob was a big eater, despite his tiny frame, the small boy ate a lot… and when Daeyoung said a lot, he meant a lot. And Yoseob always ate deliciously, he was always thankful for every single thing on the dining table and it made Daeyoung very happy because… well Yoseob made Daeyoung happy, had always been, since they were young.

 

 

And so Daeyoung was extremely happy when he was home during short break after being in military service 20 months because Yoseob jumped on him and hugged him so tightly and screamed “Daeyoungaahhh!!! 식샤를 합시다! (Let’s eat!)”

 

 

Daeyoung laughed and hugged the smaller boy back. Yoseob was still tiny, still soft, and he smelt like home. “Let’s eat something delicious then. I know this place with super awesome bibimbap.”

 

 

Yoseob squeezed Daeyoung a little tighter, “Yay!! I will let everyone know that we are not eating dinner at home, then!”

 

 

Even after all these years, Yoseob could not – maybe would not – pronounce his syllables properly. And there was nothing else in the world Daeyoung would rather hear than those mispronounced words.

 

 

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

 

 

“It’s embarrassing! Can you stop it with the ‘Mr. Shiksya! Mr. Shiksya!’ already.” Daeyoung pointed at Sookyung who was shockingly beaming in front of him. It was Chinese New Year holiday and they were at a famous noodle restaurant whose “Kal-Saam” was to die for because Daeyoung missed a meal and he was extremely hungry. Upon finding out Daeyoung’s identity as the owner of the ‘Shiksya’ blog, Sookyung went a little fangirl-crazy over him, maybe a lot fangirl-crazy.

 

 

“Am I Hong Gildong that I can’t call Mr Shiksya by his name? Also what I was most curious about,” Sookyung leaned in, afraid to miss a very important information, “Why is it 식샤 (Shiksya) and not 식사 (Shiksa = meal)?”

 

 

“Are you that curious about it?” Daeyoung leered at Sookyung playfully.

 

 

Sookyung nodded, her eyes wide as she curled her fingers together, ready to devour a piece of information, “Yes.”

 

 

“The thing is…” Daeyoung started, “…let’s talk after eating the noodles.”

 

 

The hopeful bubble around Sookyung immediately burst as Daeyoung marveled at the noodles neatly served in bowls.

 

 

“Enjoy your food properly,” the grandmother who was 78 years old brought in a tray full of dishes.

 

 

“Wow… so chewy…” Daeyoung said, eyes twinkling out of happiness, he just hoped he was with Yoseob now, but unfortunately, the younger man went back to his hometown in the afternoon to visit his father’s grave and as much as Daeyoung wanted to go with him and Mrs. Yang, he needed to go back to his apartment because he had to go back to work tomorrow. Oh, what a blast.

 

 

Both Daeyoung and Sookyung enjoyed the food immensely and the older woman seemed to have forgot the earlier question about the name, which was a good thing for Daeyoung.

 

 

He did not want to share it with anyone yet. It was a secret he had with Yoseob, because the younger man would always be special.