3

Collecting the Memories

            Things were being thrown: pillows, magazines, Sungyeol’s favorite books, the pictures that he took, cups from the coffee table, and DVDs from the cabinets. A man with black hair ran across the room in anger and flipped a table over, and pieces of broken china splattered everywhere. The man was angry, and the objects started to fly over Sungyeol’s way.

            “Stop it! I told you to stop it!” Sungyeol screamed.

            The person froze in place, and the room was silent for merely a few seconds before he started to walk towards Sungyeol.

            “I thought you loved me, Sungyeol,” the man said.

            He repeated his words, getting louder and louder, until he stood right in front of Sungyeol, never once looking up at the elder. Sungyeol could feel himself shaking.

            His hand was raised, and he smirked as Sungyeol flinched. He slapped Sungyeol in the face, tears starting to stream down his own. Sungyeol felt the other’s tears, and he started to stop trying to fight back. He closed his eyes and felt himself regretting falling in love with the person hitting him.

            The man pushed Sungyeol down onto the ground and straddled his stomach. He started to hit Sungyeol harder than he should’ve, and Sungyeol could feel himself bruising from the harsh contact. He hissed at the burning feeling from his arm, and when he looked over to see what it was, he saw that the other man had pushed his left hand right onto a piece of glass that had broken because of the earlier chaos. He felt tears prickling at his eyes, but he just shut them and kept his mouth shut until the person screaming and thrashing him around was finished.

            The black-haired man started to sit all of his weight onto Sungyeol, no longer pressing Sungyeol’s hand onto the glass. He took one hand and started to hold his fingers down on Sungyeol’s throat. It was getting hard for Sungyeol to breathe, but he still managed to look up at the other, tears filling his eyes again.

            “Why are you doing this?” Sungyeol choked out.

            The other person suddenly stopped and looked down at Sungyeol. His arms went limp, and he started to cry, bending his body so that he layed on top of Sungyeol, staining Sungyeol’s shirt with tears. He covered his face in Sungyeol’s t-shirt as Sungyeol did nothing but pat the smaller male’s back, despite just being hit by him. He no longer felt pain anywhere except for his heart, and strangely enough, it was only hurting because the man in front of him was crying.

            “I’m sorry. I’m so so sorry. I don’t want to do this anymore, but I can’t stop. Sungyeol, please help me, please.”

            Sungyeol sat up and looked around the room with the male still in his lap, holding onto his body now, silently. He looked at the mess and sighed.

            “I will. I’ll help you. I promise, Myungsoo. I-I promise.”

            When Sungyeol finally woke up, it was dark. He looked around and found that he was back inside of his bedroom. Glancing down he found the rest of his friends, still worried judging from the wrinkles between their foreheads. They all seemed to be on an edge since the event that occurred the night before. Honestly, Sungyeol was scared, terrified even. The dream he had was so realistic, he worried that it had actually happened. He hoped it wasn’t real.

            If what happened in his dream had actually occurred, then he didn’t know what he was going to do. Who was Myungsoo? What was he to Sungyeol and why was he hurting him? Why was he letting Myungsoo hurt him?

            The questions that circulated his brain were incessant and he continued to think about what he saw after fainting as he stared at the ceiling, not being able to fall back asleep.

            Sungyeol didn’t necessarily want a complicated life. He had just lost his memory and he was just so happy and content with those around him in this room right now. He didn’t really want to meet this Myungsoo person, if he really was a person and not some random human his head had conjured up. But Sungyeol knew deep down that it wasn’t just a dream—that despite his wishes, Myungsoo was a real person and he was most likely the reason why he had woken up all bruised and hurt. Myungsoo was probably the reason why he lost his memories in the first place.

            But who was he to Sungyeol? Was he his lover? Was he why Woohyun and Sungyeol could have never happened?

            Why did I stay with Myungsoo if he hurt me? Woohyun seems like he’d treat me better.

            He glanced at the brown-haired man who had been by his side when he had awoken from his coma. Woohyun’s eyebrows were furrowed together, much like the rest of the people in his bedroom. They were all worried about Sungyeol, and none of them were even covered with a single blanket. Sungyeol slowly got up from his bed and dragged the heavy blankets off of his bed, distributing them around to his friends who were sleeping on the ground.

            At least they all have pillows, Sungyeol thought while tucking a blue blanket under Sunggyu’s chin. His older brother slept so quietly and stiffly that he hoped he hadn’t woken him up. As he pulled another blanket on top of Hoya and Dongwoo, he caught Dongwoo’s eyes opening. When Dongwoo got sight of Sungyeol moving around, he immediately sat up, wondering what he was doing. But once he saw the blanket on top of him and Hoya’s laps, he realized why Sungyeol was up and he smiled at him. Sungyeol simply nodded and mouthed at Dongwoo to continue to sleep, to which the elder leaned back against Hoya’s chest and did, bringing up the blanket that Sungyeol had brought to them. Woohyun was the last one to give a blanket to, and Sungyeol was careful not to wake him up. He remembered seeing Woohyun’s sleep-deprived eyes when he had met him in the hospital. He didn’t want Woohyun to lose any more sleep because of him.

            Staring at Woohyun, Sungyeol couldn’t help but feel guilty and stupid.

            Why had he chosen that man in his memory instead of Woohyun? What made this Myungsoo person so much more important than his childhood best friend? Was he really that stupid back then?

            He sighed and reached forward to Woohyun’s hair softly. He smiled as Woohyun visibly relaxed into his hand. The elder’s frown was gone and what was left was a peaceful-looking Woohyun.

            Sungyeol chuckled quietly at the sight. Woohyun was nothing close to a cool man right now, but he still found it very endearing.

            Retracting his hand away from Woohyun’s hair, Sungyeol stood up again, carefully walking around his room, back to the pictures that he was so interested in when he had entered the house earlier. The sun was just starting to rise, allowing him to see the pictures more clearly with the sunshine that slowly appeared through his windows.

            He dragged his fingers along his wall right on top of the pictures, smiling as each picture brought back a flash of his previous memories. He’d like to remember everything as soon as possible, even the rest of those memories with Myungsoo, no matter how much it would hurt and bother him. He needed to know what had happened. He wanted to know everything so he could understand why his friends wouldn’t tell him what had happened, and why his friends hadn’t mentioned Myungsoo when they were talking about their times together.

            Did I hide Myungsoo from them? Did Myungsoo threaten them not to tell me about him?

            Sungyeol’s fingers curled into a fist when the image of Myungsoo threatening his friends came up. It was the first time he had conjured up an image without it being an actual memory since he had woke up in the hospital. He felt himself hating Myungsoo more and more without even knowing the entire story of what had happened between the two of them,

            But how could I know the whole story without my memories? he thought pitifully to himself, laughing bitterly.

            Reaching the other end of his room, he came across the black polaroid again with his picture in it. Sungyeol squinted, trying to look closer at the distinct picture. He wondered why this one was so different from the rest of them—Sungyeol seemed to have always used white, square film, and out of his hundreds of pictures, none of them were of himself.

            Did Myungsoo take this?

            Taking the picture into his hands, he felt himself being into another memory.

            Myungsoo was right in front of him again in the same room as before, but this time he was smiling.

            He looks so different when he smiles, Sungyeol thought.

            “Sungyeol, guess what I got?” the raven-haired man asked with a playful tone in his voice.

            “What, Myunggie?”

            Myungsoo reached into the large bag by his feet and pulled out a vintage, polaroid camera. It was smaller than Sungyeol’s but it fit Myungsoo so well. He grinned widely as he brought the camera up to his face and took a picture of Sungyeol’s reaction.

            He laughed as the picture came out and he waved the polaroid back and forth for the picture to develop. Looking at the black, rectangular picture, he giggled.

            “Sungyeol, look how cute you are!” he exclaimed.

            “Hey! I’m not cute!”

            Myungsoo ran up to Sungyeol, hugging him immediately and showing him the picture.

            “I bought this camera right away after seeing it in the store. I thought of you immediately, and I knew that I had to buy it,” the man said sweetly, “it’s not fair if you’re the one taking pictures all of the time. You need to be in some too!”

            Sungyeol giggled at Myungsoo’s words and took the picture from Myungsoo’s hands, pouting when he realized that his reaction was actually pretty adorable.

            “You just want to be the like the photography couple we saw last week, Myungsoo. You don’t even like taking pictures that much.”

            Myungsoo let go of Sungyeol and opened his mouth, feigning shock.

            “I do so!” he quipped, “I love taking pictures when they’re of you.”

            He proceeded to take Sungyeol into his arms again, hugging him closely.

            He took a breath of Sungyeol’s scent in and smiled against Sungyeol’s shoulders.

            “I love you, Yeollie,” he whispered.

            “I love you too, Myungsoo.”

            It was only until after the memory was over that Sungyeol noticed the yellow, healing bruises on his arm in the picture.


Sorry it took me so long to continue with this story! However, my summer has just begun, meaning more time for me to write~~ 

Updates should be coming more regularly now that I'm away from my school of death and stress(: