02. Round One: Background Check.

Airplane to Heaven

Byun Baekhyun's POV

You couldn't do much in round one. All it was was a background check on your life. Whether you've been on drugs, been a criminal, a scholar, stuff like that. 

All 400- wait 399 of us sat in the breifing room. It was a huge and wide light blue and white room that had.. nothing in it. There were no windows, no curtains, no chandeliers. It was literally an empty, carpeted ballroom. No chairs, we all sat on the floor and all was quiet and still. No one dared to speak.

Until I tried. 

Everyone was cramped like those elementary school assemblies. Sandwhiched after another sitting criss cross apple sauce. I turned my head to the right, finding myself to stare at a boy with brown hair, big doe eyes and ginormous ears. He looked like he was a happy boy, but as of right now, he was frightened. He sat in a position where his long legs were wrapped by his arms. He looked about my age, and I found myself lost in those shaking, wet eyes of his.

"Hey." I said softly, my voice echoed throughout the whole vicinity either way. The boy started shaking more, his body rocking back and forth.

"Yah, are you okay?" I poked him and it made him jump a bit. What was this boy so afraid of?

"Y-Yes..?" The boy finally spoke, his lips quivered as if they were going to fall off. His voice was coarse and it barely sounded coherent. This boy looked too pitiful, no matter how weird it may seem, this boy looked so broken that I just wanted to hug him. "Why are you so terrified?" I asked.

His fringe flew down his head and covered his eyes. The boy didn't even bother to move it aside and continued rocking back and forth for awhile before actuallly answering me. "B-because. I-I'm not going to make it. I k-know it." His statement made me tilt my head. "How do you know that exactly? Have some hope." I hoped that statement would subside his fear, but it didn't help a thing which made me falter. This poor boy, we weren't even in the worst situation, we were just sitting.

Before I could help in anymore, the voice-Moses- spoke again, which caught everyone's attention.

The briefing has been completed. The guards will now exclude those that are out of the game.

Once his voice stopped, those men in white were back. Hidden doors slammed open and they came dashing in all in block order as if they were some army. Immediately, their 'block' dispersed and they were picking up people from the floor left and right. It was a frantic blur, people's screams and cries to let them go were heard all around and I just didn't know what I was staring at anymore.

I saw a man running towards my direction and I panicked for a moment. Was I out of the game? As his slamming footsteps came closer and closer, I closed my eyes scared, but I didn't need to be.

Apparently it was not me. They took the boy in front of me, a boy that was drastically younger and frailer than I, and I felt so bad to feel relieved. It made me feel guilty that I was surviving. Who knew what was happening to those guys? H-E-double chopsticks? What else? 

A couple minutes later, it was quiet and all the men along with the victims were gone. I looked to my right and saw huddled in a small ball, was the boy I was talking to earlier. I was sort of relieved, he was the only person I considered that I knew here. I patted his back for comfort while checking our new set of people. How much of us were left? It seemed like half the population had disappeared. 

Congradulations!! All of you that are left were lucky and passed all the required fields to move onto Round Two! Those of which we aren't allowed to expose. Before moving onto round two, let's give you guys some well deserved rest. The white men will lead you to your respective dorm rooms. Have a good night now and see you in the morning~

Sick. This man sounded sick. It was almost as if he found pleasure in all of this, but then again he probably did because he organized this in the first place. 

All of a sudden a robotic voice spoke from the same speakers. 

Civilians left: 223.

223? That's over.... 176 people gone, which is over... 44% of the people. Exactly how many rounds will there be? 

I was under deep thought, when I noticed a tug on my shirt. I looked ahead and saw the trembling boy pulling at me. I waited for him to speak, but he only pointed at the people around us that were leaving the room. I quickly caught on and thanked him before following him out the door. 

There was tension in the halls as we walked with white dressed men to our left and right. I decided to lift that up a bit, they never said anything about being quiet. "Hey, what's your name?" I poked the cute, fragile yet tall boy next to me. He turned to look at me slowly before his answer ghosted softly against his plump, pink lips. 

"C-Chanyeol. Park Chanyeol."