Chapter 15

Contract

 

“There you are! I feel like I’ve been waiting forever!”

That stern voice assaulting my ears belongs to a woman by the name of Edith Choi. She is a no nonsense, ruthless woman who so happens to be my stylist. And unfortunately for me, Mr Lim personally recommended her which makes her – out of respect to him – immune to my authority. We met a few times to discuss the styling of the dress I will be wearing tonight at the wedding reception. However, this is the first time I have seen her this agitated.

Her feathered hair looks bristled and she taps towards me in a pair of high heels.

“I apologize, Edith. There was traffic on the way here and the foyer is packed full of journalists. So it took a while to get up to the room.”

An interesting fact about Edith is that she insists on being called by her first name. She says ‘Mrs Choi’ makes her sound a lot older that her forty-two year old self.

She is actually fifty-two.

“Never mind.” She huffs. “We do need to hurry now. The reception starts in less than an hour.”

Okay. I place my purse and keys on a table and walk into the bedroom. The Ritz insisted on giving me the presidential suite even though I told them a regular room would be fine. Several lavish flower arrangements are neatly positioned in the living area. In the bedroom, a few dresses are draped carefully on the bed and an extensive sewing kit is perched on the dresser in case any alterations need to be made. I’m guessing all I need to do is pick a dress and try it out.

“Take your clothes off.” Edith storms into the room.

“Wh…what?” I stare at her.

“Take your clothes off, Ms Kim.” She repeats as she pries a dress gently off its hook. Her eyes narrow as she sees me frozen in place. “Or I’ll do it for you.”

Right. I don’t think she’s joking and thanks to Mr Lim, I can’t fire her. I remove my blouse slowly, giving her the chance to leave the room. But all she does is hold the dress in one hand as she impatiently taps her heels on the floor.

“Your skirt too, Ms Kim.” She adds.

I grudgingly step out of my skirt. Feeling slightly self-conscious, I hold out my hand for the dress.

But instead of handing me the dress, Edith clutches it closer to herself and whips out her phone.

“Goodness! I almost forgot to call her. She’s been absolutely wonderful in helping with choosing the styles. Amazing eye for fashion. Better than any of my assistants.”

“Who – ”

Edith lifts a finger to stop me and speaks into her phone. “Yes darling. Come over. We have started and I want you here. Because I want your opinion, cupcake. See you soon!”

She sighs happily. “An absolute angel.”

Whoever it was managed to put Edith into a good mood – which I am secretly grateful for. On the other hand, I am not overtly impressed to be waiting for them to arrive – in my underwear.

“Here,” Edith s a bathrobe in my direction.

Thank goodness.

The doorbell rings.

“She’s here!” Edith yanks the robe out of my reach.

Damn it.

She disappears out of the room. That was quick. They must have already been nearby. I look around. There should be another bathrobe lying around somewhere.

“Okay! Let’s get started!” Edith bustles into the room before I could find it.

Behind her walks in Tiffany.

At once my entire body freezes like a mannequin.

“Ti – Steph – fa – ny.” Very nice. I sound like an i – di – ot.

“Hey Tae.” Tiffany says happily. Then she realizes the lack of clothing I am in and keenly inspects the dress Edith is holding with rapt attention.

Great. My skin feels hot. I take a deep breath to calm myself. Just continue normally. As though it is an everyday thing to hold a conversation with a person in one’s underwear.

Tiffany is standing behind Edith, wearing a peach coloured sleeveless dress.

I clear my throat. “You look nice.”

“Of course darling,” Edith waves her hand. “It’s my job to look good. I have to admit it’s lovely to receive the odd complement on it once in a while. Everyone seems to take for granted my impeccable taste and style.” She finishes with a smidgen of woe.

Tiffany meets my eyes with amusement.

I meant that about you. I try to silently convey.

As if she heard me, Tiffany mouths, “Thank you.”

My jaw drops. How -

“Ms Kim, please close your mouth. You resemble a goldfish gasping for air.” Edith holds out a periwinkle blue gown. “Try this.”

As she hands me the dress, her phone rings.

“Oh I have to take this! Sorry darlings. I won’t be long.” Edith whizzes out the door again, leaving Tiffany and I alone.

I turn my back to her and face the mirror. Pressing the dress against me, I check my reflection. Behind me I can see Tiffany. She is still studiously focussed on the dresses draped over the bed.

Ah, maybe she is shy. Or trying to be polite.

Suddenly, I catch her eyes flick over to my back and…I don’t believe it.

Is she staring at my ?

Just as quick, her gaze flicks back to the dress. She gives a self-satisfied little smirk. Oh, that’s cute. She thinks she’s being a little ninja. But I caught her blatantly checking me out.

My heart starts a little drumbeat.

Let’s see whether she does it again. I flip the dress over to undo the zipper. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Tiffany glance over again. This time her gaze lingers a few seconds longer before she averts her attention back to the dresses.

“Like what you see?” Our eyes lock through the mirror’s reflection.

Tiffany looks like a deer caught in headlights. Two pink spots appear on her cheeks.

“The dresses. Do you like them?” I’m trying so hard to keep from laughing.

“Oh..yes.” She recovers. “I think their all beautiful. The off the shoulder white one is the latest trend. But the black dress has a more classical appeal.”

“I didn’t know you were so into fashion.” I say, pleasantly surprised.

“Yup. Ever since I was little. It started off as a hobby but now it’s become more of a passion.” She smiles. “I even try to attend a few runway shows when I can.”

“So fashionista Hwang. What say you about this?” I wave the blue dress.

Tiffany puts on a contemplative frown. “Hmmm if you want to be the ‘it’ girl you have to wear it.”

“Really? I guess I have to wear it then.” I step into the dress and Tiffany zips it at the back. The touch of her fingers along my back sends goosebumps on my skin. 

“Plus, I picked that dress out when I went shopping with Edith. I thought it would suite you.” She takes a step back to study the dress. “And it does. You look really…good.”

I feel a tiny bit lightheaded. And my heart is once again thumping to an all familiar beat. Maybe it’s because I’ve been standing for a while now. Or maybe I’ve become hypothermic from wearing too little clothes for too long. Or maybe…there is a possibility, it’s due to the intensity of Tiffany’s stare as her eyes rake over me.

I think it’s the hypothermia.

“You…went shopping with Edith?” I narrow my eyes and pretend to be suspicious.

“Yaaah! It was for the reception.” Tiffany pushes my arm lightly. “Don’t worry, she’s not my style.”

“Who’s your style then?” I raise my eyebrows.

“You’re my style.” She says coolly.

“Oh.” I pause then add, “You have good taste.”

Tiffany’s mouth twitches. Before I know it, we both start laughing.

Edith reappears and claps her hands. “Stop playing girls! We have a schedule to stick to.”

I ended up trying a couple more dresses but settled on the blue one at the end. It looked the best and Tiffany being the one to pick it out had no effect on my decision whatsoever… nope. None.

Okay. Maybe a little.

 

 

The Ritz Hotel is the busiest it’s ever been. The reception is taking place in a stunning room with beautiful panelling and stylish chandeliers hanging from the walls. Waiters are handing out cocktails and champagne on trays. A jazz band is playing and all around the room people dressed glamorously are chatting excitedly in clusters. Most people have already seated at their tables, curiously glancing around. There are a lot of happy handshakes and back slaps taking place, and everyone seems to be in a really good mood.

Multiple TV crews have positioned themselves on the peripheries of the hall. Journalists from all over the world clambered at the chance to cover this story. At the front of the room, a stage has been set up with microphones.  

At the moment a man in spectacles is on stage serving as the emcee. Tiffany is next to me backstage. We are due to go on any second. A bubbly girl walks up to us and bows in greeting.

“Annyeonghaseyo Ms Kim, Ms Hwang.” She flashes a huge grin. “I’m such a fan! My name is Son Naeun and I’m the assistant event coordinator.”

Naeun lifts up a clipboard and reads off some sort of list. “Right. So after this the two of you will be introduced onto the stage to deliver your statements. Then we will have the cake cutting ceremony. And to end the night –” She breaks off and presses the clipboard to her chest wistfully. “ – the two of you will kiss. Perfect.” 

The walkie-talkie clipped to her belt crackles. “Naeun! We need you downstairs. Jisuk misprinted some of the press badges and we are getting complaints!”

“Whoops! I have to go.” She bites her lip and hesitates. “Um can I ask for a picture?"

I’m about to politely decline when Tiffany answers.

“Of course you can!” She gives Naeun a warm smile. “Right Tae?”

Nope.I don't really want to.

Tiffany pulls me close and links her arm with mine.

I guess one picture is okay.

Naeun positions herself into the shot and snaps the picture.

“Thank you so much!” She gushes before hurrying off.

We watch her skip away for a second. I turn my attention back to the stage. The emcee is halfway through welcoming the guests.

“Taeyeon-ah?”

“Hmm?”

“This whole experience has been so unreal. But I’m glad it’s with you.”

She smiles again then looks away. My stomach twists in knots. But strangely in a good way. My mind grasps for something to say. I should tell her I feel the same.

“Fany – ”

“Taeyeon!” A sharp, polished voice halts my words.

Recognition dawns on Tiffany’s face as she sees a man in an expensive grey suit walk up.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Mr Kim.” She bows respectfully.

My father briefly acknowledges her greeting and fixes his attention on me.

“How did the meeting go with the group in China?” He asks with a brisk tone.

This is how it has always been with my father. This man is a significant presence in my life, but I barely know him. We’ve had an entirely civilized yet distant relationship where we haven’t talked about anything except work.

I adopt a formal manner. “It went very well. They are interested in our expansion plans and if all goes to plan, within the coming year we should be fully operational.”

“Good.” He nods satisfied.

“Is Mrs Kim here as well?” Tiffany enquires.

“Yes. She is –” He peers around as though she will magically appear beside him. “ – somewhere.”

“Thank you for the flowers you sent us. They are beautiful.” Tiffany says politely.

My father looks confused for a moment. “Oh yes…yes. I’m glad you liked them.”

It was probably one of the secretaries that got them on my parents’ behalf. It’s likely they had no idea that flowers were even sent.

“Taeyeon, I’ll catch up with you later. We need to speak to Mr Yap. I want to make sure this China deal will have no problems.” My father strides off without another word.

Tiffany goes silent and pensive.

“Tiffany…my family, we are like that.” I try to explain.

“I know. It’s okay.”

“My father once mistook someone else for my mother.”

Tiffany offers an empty smile.

I continue. “We were sitting at a table during an event. My mother got up to go to the ladies room and a random woman sat down in her seat. My father didn’t even notice. It was funny when he tried to get into her handbag to retrieve his glasses. She shrieked and swung her wine glass at him.”

Her smile is more genuine this time but still half-hearted. I’m not done yet.

“I would know.” I say. She looks at me questioningly and I add, “I would know if you’re not the one next to me.”

 Her eyes brighten and at last I see happiness on her face.

A surge of applause breaks the moment. Naeun comes running up to us slightly out of breath.

“You are due now.” She puffs out.

The emcee exits the stage and with a deep breath Tiffany and I walk up to the microphones. As we appear, the applause gets louder. Conversations stop and all eyes and lenses are focussed on us.  Cameras start clicking furiously away. I cast my eyes across the room and see many familiar faces. Sticking out like a sore thumb is Bonnie, Mr Barron’s wife. She’s gingerly wearing a black feathered hat with a matching wrap around her shoulders, making her look like a very short ostrich.

We wait patiently for the excitement to get under control before I start my speech.

“Annyeonghaseyo. Welcome everyone, from our family and friends, our colleagues and members of the press.” As I begin, I spot staff members from the Japanese branch of Hwang Industries seated at a table nearby. Mr Lim’s words about reassuring them on the nature of the contract ring in my head.

“Thank you for sharing this day with us. As you all know, Kim Corporation and Hwang Industries have been fortunate enough to join in a union. But what is unique about this merger is that it does not only involve the companies but the union of two families as well. I hope you keep your trust in us to do our best for the future of the companies. And let us carry on as one.” A few people in the audience nod their heads. A couple of tables have lifted their glasses in solidarity.

“Now, it gives me great pleasure – ” I glance at Tiffany beside me and break into a smile. The audience claps and cheers. “ – to introduce Stephanie Hwang, my wife.”

A fresh burst of vigorous applause erupts and Tiffany leans towards the microphone.

“Annyeonghaseyo. It’s so lovely to see everyone here. I would like to thank the people who have been involved in making tonight possible. Thank you for all your hard work. I need to say how grateful I am to our families, friends and colleagues. And I shouldn’t forget the members of the press who have shown a lot of enthusiasm towards this event.” Tiffany pauses and looks at them. “Please take pretty pictures.”

A ripple of laughter breaks. The cameramen smile bashfully. This should be the end of her speech and she has done a wonderful job. A short statement, injected with a little humour. I can tell everyone who is present has already fallen for her charms. Can’t blame them. I glance at her and quickly look away. She is very charming.

Tiffany suddenly continues, “Last but not least, to Kim Taeyeon.” I lift my head in surprise. This part was not in the original draft of the speech. “Thank you for being a constant source of support, for trusting me, and believing in me and for becoming a friend.”

The audience loves it. Almost every face there has a huge smile. I notice Mr Lim at one of the tables. Instead of clapping like I expected, he is peering subtly around the room. He must like what he sees because a second later, he joins the rest with the clapping.

The emcee returns on stage.

“Ladies and gentlemen, to sweeten the night let’s bring out the cake!” He announces.

The cake is a beautifully crafted, three tiered masterpiece with a white cream frosting. Two assistants carefully carry it out. It must weigh quite a bit because one of the assistants grips slips a bit and the cake precariously wobbles, earning a collective ‘woooooooh’ from the crowd. One lady clutches at her pearls and audibly gasps “Andwae!”

Once it’s been set in front of us, I take the knife and Tiffany places her hand over mine. Immediately, the photographers start snapping away. There is a shift in the atmosphere from a relaxed one to an excited tension.

And I know why.

Tiffany and I pose with easy smiles for the cameras but at the back of my mind, I’m thinking about what is coming next – the kiss.

The secret hype of the night seems to be news of us kissing after the cake cutting. The press have pushed forward to get a better shot. All eyes are on us. Even the hotel staff are fixated. A waiter surreptitiously whips out his phone from his pocket and takes a video.

We cut a slice out of the cake. I use a fork to separate a little piece and offer it to Tiffany. A smile unknowingly forms on my lips. Tiffany takes the same fork from me and carves out a small…wait, no…a whopping large chunk of cake with a cheeky expression.

“Yaaah!” I say before I can stop myself. Jovial laughter erupts in the room. Tiffany gives a little grin and reduces the size to a more manageable one.

I take a bite and wow, the cake is delicious – a delicate blueberry sponge with a smooth vanilla cream cheese frosting.

Tiffany places the fork down and moves closer towards me. This is it. The room plunges into silence. The only sounds are coming from the millions of cameras clicking away. Just like we talked about, Tiffany and I do a simple, chaste kiss. We hold it for a second or two for pictures to be taken then break away. Any more than that would be inappropriate.

However gauging from the reaction of the audience, you would think that we performed a kiss right out of a romance movie. A roar of approval fills the air. Half of the room gives us a standing ovation. A few even whistle. I see the Hwangs all standing up with delight…wow, even Madam Hwang has gotten to her feet but she shoots me a sharp, beady look. Oh well, at least that is something.

My parents are on the more conservative side. They remain seated but are clapping composedly. Only, Mr Lim is standing. I suspect he is one of the people who whistled.

“Thank you again for coming. We hope you enjoy the rest of the night.” I say. Tiffany takes my hand and we walk off the stage.

We join the crowd and walk to our table. During the remainder of the night, people transiently come over and offer their congratulations. A five course meal is served. Seared scallops, pan fried wild sea-bass are some of the dishes relished. After dinner, there are more photos to be taken with both families this time.

When we finally have a moment alone at our table Tiffany whispers, “I think tonight went well.”

“I hope so.” I reply. “A lot of corporate big wigs. A lot of press.”

I point out a short, chubby man with a comb over to Tiffany. “See that man over there? His name is Mr Kang. He is a multi-billionaire and one of our prime investors. Want to know a secret?”

Tiffany nods her head and leans in. As I whisper in her ear, I get a scent of her perfume. “Mr Kang has a swearing problem. Each time he gets angry he lets out a slurry of curse words. So his husband got him a self-help book and now he substitutes curse words with names of food.”

Tiffany looks over in his direction with curiousity.

Leaning back in my seat, I feel the most relaxed now than I’ve been the whole day. Since morning, my time has been fully packed with things to do. I can’t wait to get back and sleep.

“All your things should be moved in to my place by now.” I suddenly remember. Tiffany is moving into my apartment tonight. I smile as I add, “Mr Lim said thank goodness because my apartment could use some colour.”

Tiffany looks at me seriously. “Don’t worry Tae. I will redecorate your whole apartment.” She waves her hands as she says, “Bright colours everywhere! Maybe a few pink futons and frilly curtains…”

She breaks off with fresh laughter at my expression. “I’m kidding! Don’t worry.”

“I…knew that.” I retort unconvincingly. After a pause I say, “You know Fany, it is your apartment now too so if you want to decorate it a certain way, you can.”

“Thanks Tae.” Her voice is soft.

She then pretends to contemplate something over. “So pink futons…?”

“No.”

“At least twelve.”

“No.”

“OK. Two.”

“No.”

“Yaaaah! Kim Taeyeon!”