A Formal Introduction

Secrets of a Scarlet Letter

|Formal Introduction|


At the mere age of 25, she already has everything many could only wish they had. She had the beauty that put Aphrodite to shame; the wealth that was more than enough to provide her for the rest of her life; the status in the world that granted her a certain authority given by her family‘s influence; she had the fame that made her everyone‘s darling, the love from the countless of people that adored her, and the prince-charming every woman could only dream of. If only monarchy still ruled the country, she would be part of the royal family. Indeed, she was a princess; she was born to be perfect. That was what everyone thought, that was how everyone around her viewed her as. She was the goddess Jessica Jung….

~ (Jessica’s thoughts) ~

Who is this girl I see in front of me? She is nothing, but a tainted reflection of a person who I used to be. Aside from the branded clothes, the expensive jewelries she wore, the lavish house she lived in, the sleek cars she rode in, and the royal treatments she received; she was nothing special. There was no life, the fire burning within her is close to being burnt out. She was dying.

The mindless talks about me and everything I had suffocated me. There is no beauty, elegance, nor perfection to such things. My life…it was no fairy-tale. It was never close to being one to begin with. Nothing mattered to me anymore. In reality, I am drowning…

Tears threatened to escape from my eyes, but I managed to hold them back in before it ruined my makeup. All the emotions I have held back have all been collected and welled up on my already weary heart. I stare at myself in the mirror once more.

The red velvet Vera Wang dress I was wearing was noting more than a thick piece of clothing that constricted me, the jewelries I was wearing reminded me of a leash constantly pulling me in a direction I never wanted to follow. But this is who I am, all these fancy items I’m surrounded with is what makes me. I have no knowledge of another life than the one I am currently living in. I was trapped, I have always been trapped…

Jessica Jung: a tycoon’s daughter, the third in line of succession, an heiress, the model, the singer, the actress…

“Jessica,” I heard a voice call me from another room. I diverted my attention towards the person who was wearing a sleek black Gucci tuxedo, his hair styled neatly with his bangs falling to the sides, “Are you ready?”

“I’m coming,” I walked towards him, holding my dress to avoid stepping on it. I gave him a fake smile.

“You look lovely,” he complimented, following it with a smirk. I lightly took his hand as he escorted me down the stairs, leading me outside where the car, a Rolls Royce Phantom, waited for us. Numerous servants bowing down before us as one of them opened the door for us as I entered inside. He sat beside me, letting go of my hand as soon as he entered. My hand wandered, eyeing on the empty space between us before I turned my attention out to the scenery of the passing bright city life.

I looked up at the dimming sky. Stars emerged one by one as the day slowly gave way to the night…

***

“CUT! That will be it for today guys, good job everyone! Wrap it all up guys,” Yuri yelled as she stood from her seat behind a small TV screen. Clapping her hands as she approached the actor featured in her new commercial, “Great job today Lee MinHo. You were really great out there. The camera loves you.”

“Oh thank you so much Director Kwon,” Lee MinHo bowed politely to her compliments.

“Hey, enough with the formalities. We’re practically the same age. You‘re making me feel older than my real age and it‘s not like this is the first time I‘ve filmed a commercial with you,” Yuri patted his back in response to his politeness.

“You’re probably right. But anyways, it was nice filming with you Kwon Yuri,” he beamed.

“Alright, go home and get some rest. Filming for the next location will be in two days. I already had my assistant inform your manager.”

“Oh okay. I’ll be there early. I’ll see you again Director,” MinHo bowed once more as he headed towards his manager.

“Wow he really is good-looking in person,” SooYoung stood next to Yuri, caught in a trance due to the actor’s dashing appearance, “It must be nice to work with him.”

“Yah SooYoung quit day-dreaming about him, you’re spilling your coffee on my brand new shoes!” HyoYeon yelled as she pushed SooYoung away from her in order to avoid further damaging her shoes.

“Oh sorry,” SooYoung just scratched her head with a sorry expression.

“I really don’t get how you can still get star-struck whenever you see a celebrity. You should be used to it now considering you’re a stylist,” HyoYeon annoyingly said as she polished her stained shoes with some napkins.

“Listen, I may be a stylist; but that doesn’t mean I get to see every celebrities out there. And besides, all the celebrities I manage are almost all females. Where’s the excitement in that? At least you and Yuri get to work with almost everyone in the industry and anyone you request,” SooYoung replied, taking a sip of her coffee.

“Uhhmmm FYI, just because I’m a director that doesn’t mean I get to work with everyone or anyone I want,” Yuri corrected SooYoung who was helping the crew wrap everything up, “I’m still relatively new to this industry.”

“Yeah you’re new to this industry, but you’ve practically been a director your whole life considering the amounts of indie films you’ve already directed.”

“SooYoung, some of those films you’re talking about were filmed when were just kids. One of them even included you slipping and falling flat on your face after jumping onto one of those inflatable pools we set up in your backyard,” HyoYeon corrected SooYoung even more, trying to hold her laughter.

“Or the ones that HyoYeon and I secretly filmed when we were kids and you were in the bathtub taking a bath while playing with a rubber duckie. That was a good movie,” Yuri added to HyoYeon’s tease.

“You told me that you guys deleted that!” SooYoung’s eyes widened after hearing Yuri’s remark, “Oh my god that was so embarrassing. I swear! You better have deleted that!”

“It was!” HyoYeon couldn’t help but crack into laughter.

“Who asked for your opinion?!” SooYoung yelled at HyoYeon with her hands on her hips.

“Okay enough guys. Don’t worry SooYoung, we did delete it,” Yuri approached SooYoung, patting her back to calm her best friend down.

“After we made several copies ahahahaha,” HyoYeon continued teasing SooYoung as her laughter grew even louder.

“HyoYeon shut it! We promised to not say anything about it!” Yuri giggled into small laughter.

“YAH!” SooYoung punched Yuri in the arm hard enough to make Yuri wince, “But seriously Yuri, you could have bigger projects if you just ask your company. I’m sure they’ll gladly hand it to you considering you’re the daughter o-” SooYoung’s statement was cut short by Yuri.

“Listen SooYoung, how many times do I have to say that I don’t want to use my family’s name or my status for my own benefits. Plus, I’d rather work hard for my position and it’s not like I’m miserable at directing commercials. Don’t worry, I’ll someday be able to do dramas and movies soon.”

“Wait. Speaking of your family, don’t you guys have a dinner planned out for tonight?” HyoYeon asked Yuri who has now recovered from her laughter.

“Oh ****! I forgot about that. Crap I’m gonna be late!” Yuri slammed her palm on her forehead, “Hey, HyoYeon can you do me a favor and can you take care of things here?”

“I got it. Don’t worry about it. Just go now or else you’re gonna be late.”

“Alright thanks Hyo. I’ll see you guys later,” Yuri gathered her belongings as well as her portfolio and her car keys as she dashed her way out of the building and onto her Range Rover Sport.

***

~ (Jessica’s thoughts) ~

The lights of the flashing cameras blinded me as I covered my eyes from them as soon as I stepped out of the car. I was escorted out by security before feeling a familiar hand grab me and lead me towards the red carpet. We smiled and waved in front of the cameras, something that I was already accustomed to, before we headed inside.

As soon as the doors opened, mindless chats of the rich and powerful that was complimented by the music played by the orchestra soon rushed into my ears. Oblivious to my surrounding, he had already left my side to greet those who were present in the ball. I didn’t mind it too much as it was his obligation to do so anyways, considering this was his and my family’s event. I had the same obligation, but I lacked the enthusiasm to do so. I saw two familiar figures at the corner of my eyes. I excitedly paced myself towards them as I greeted each of them with a hug, “Long time no see! I missed you guys!”

“Jessica!” Krystal and RyeoWon all said in unison.

“Unnie!” Krystal hugged me excitedly as I smiled sweetly at RyeoWon.

“How have you been Jessica?” RyeoWon looked at me with such concern.

“I’ve been doing fine, how about you two? It feels like I haven’t seen you guys in forever.”

“That’s because you’re too busy for us now unnie,” Krystal slightly pouted, still clinging onto my arm.

“I’m still happily married I guess. What about you? Have you been adjusting to it well? What about TaecYeon? How are you two?” RyeoWon unnie asked me, lowering her voice enough for us to just hear.

I shrugged my shoulder, but even before I could reply, I heard his voice calling my name, “Jessica, come here.”

I shifted my head to the voice as I gave both Krystal and RyeoWon a small smile, “I’ll talk to you guys later.”

***

Jessica ambled herself elegantly towards a group of men huddled to a small corner with glasses of champagnes in their hands. A hand made its way around Jessica’s waist, bowing politely as they bowed their heads slightly towards her.

“I’d like to personally and properly introduce to you all my wife,” TaecYeon introduced with such pride as if he was holding a trophy.

“Good evening, I'm pleased to meet you all. I’m Jessica Jung…”