Truth comes with a price - part one

Scarred Stars

Just some time later it was time for Jonghyun to show me his home. I was nervous about it, even if I knew that I wouldn't meet any of his friends or family, not yet. Still, the mere fact of going into the urban jungle, so different from my own world was terrifying me. That was why I was floating a few inches above the ground as we headed to the edge of the forest: up in the air, I felt much safer. 

I drew in a nervous breath, feeling my wings flutter lightly in distress."Maybe we could stay here?" I offered quietly, voice soft and sweet as I landed on the ground with a soft thud before hugging my mate from behind, leaning my head on his shoulder.

"No, love. A big storm is coming and I can't risk you staying out here." He said firmly as he turned to face me, his strong arms wrapping around my waist tightly."Don't worry so much, you will love my apartment. I... I have taken some of your clothes from before, so we don't even have to go into the crowd to shop, if you don't want to."

A certain hint of pure desperation was lingering in Jonghyun's voice as he let his fingers run up and down my wings lightly, making me let out a silent hum of unveiled joy. Only one's mate could touch their wings like this as they were incredibly sensitive and even the slightest of press on them could cause problems. However, from what I have heard from the elders of the forest, mates were unable to harm each other.

"Fine.." I whispered after a moment or two, a soft sigh escaping my lips."But for your information, I have lasted through more storms that you think:"

"I don't care, I want you to come home...Kibum." Jonghyun admitted quietly before pulling away. He took my hand in his, rubbing his thumb over my fingers and the back of my hand."Plus you've already told your family, haven't you?"

"Yeah, but I could just escape." I huffed softly but let a tiny smile appear on my lips. Jonghyun knew me all too well. Seemingly, we didn't know each other very much, but only because we haven't had the chance to actually spend a lot of time together. I had to take care of my siblings while sometimes, he had work or he had to take care of other affaires. 

"No, you're coming with me." He said before tugging on my arms a little. He made me turn to face him and leant in to kiss me lightly."I know that the city is a bit new too you, but you will love it."

I pushed him away lightly, but smiled. I knew very well that he wanted me to be apart of his world as well. It was obvious, even if he tried to mask it with a veil of protectiveness. Surely, dark clouds were gathering above us, the sun's rays barely shining through the layers and layers of black and grey, but I had encountered worse storms before. Hail? I loved it as long as my wings didn't get hurt. The sound of thunder was truly horrifying, but only if I wasn't in the midst of the woods, curled up with my siblings. Usually, we would spend every stormy day like that, talking quietly as the rain and loud claps of thunder would try to fade out our voices.

I even loved snow-storms, even if they could be quite brutal. One time, I had gotten caught in one while gathering some firewood. I had no idea where to go, because of the thick, white blanket that covered everything. I just couldn't remember which way I had come from, everything seemed the same. My footprints had long faded because of the rapid, pure flakes falling down, so I really had no choice just try and follow my heart. Luckily for me, I reached our home within a few minutes, but by that time, I was shaking violently as I sneezed loudly from time to time.

Still, I loved how pure the forest looked when it was being covered by snow. 

"Let's go." Jonghyun's soft voice broke me out of my thoughts. I nodded quickly and let him lead me to his monster of a car. I had seen it before and hated it. Noisy, smelly and too...I couldn't even describe it, I just hated it. 

A pout formed on my lips as he opened the door for me before pushing me into the beast lightly, knowing well that I hated it."Can't we go on foot?" I whined, sinking my teeth into my bottom lip."Why do you even need this thing?"

"We can't, love, sorry." His voice held no trace of regret as he hopped into the car, a cheeky grin playing on his lips. Soon enough, we were driving down the busy road. There were so many cars out there that it was a bit scary: every now and then I felt like they would suddenly crash into us, even if I knew very well that they weren't that close to us. I just wasn't comfortable with how rapid we were going: the scenery seemed to run past us in an incredibly pace.

"Are we there?" I asked quietly, a yawn escaping me. Caused by all the whining and excitement, I was incredibly tired. I just wanted to curl up and sleep, but I wasn't quite sure if I could just do that, not when I was visiting my mate's home for the first time.

For fairies, it was an important event. Jonghyun might not have known about it, because he hadn't taken any of the required preparations: he hadn't taken a flower of my forest with me, nor he had picked up a dried leaf from the ground. I had, though, as I knew very well that he didn't know about the customs of my people. The small, purple flower - the sign of fertility and life for us, the people of the forest - and the pale, fragile leaf that symbolized our respect for my ancestors were resting safely in his small backpack. He hadn't even noticed me putting them into it. 

"Not quite. But take a rest, okay? I can hear it in your voice that you're close to sleep." he said gently, lifting one of his hands off the wheel for a moment to place it on my thigh."Really, just sleep, baby. Once we're there, I want to show you everything." He seemed so enthusiastic, I had never seen him like that before. With a content huff, I let my eyes flutter close. Soon, I could feel sleep tugging at my hands, asking me to take part in a wild dance of dreams. With a faint smile, I accepted the offer, letting the blissful blur of rest take care of me.

Even through the thick fog that separated me from the land of the awake, I could feel Jonghyun's soothing touches.