one

make sense of me

Hyoyeon was never one to complain, unless it was for a important reason. She knew that she was better off not complaining; she felt complaining only made you look weak. She felt that if she did complain, she would be seen as one who couldn't handle the ups and downs of life.

But then there was Jessica. Almost always the complainer. Whined when she didn't get enough sleep, even enough to eat. Complained when she got cut off from a variety show, or when she didn't get enough lines in a song (which was almost never). Hyoyeon found it hard to believe that she fell for the girl. But, being Hyoyeon, she didn't complain when the girl didn't fall back.

------------

Jessica and Tiffany had become the most obvious couple of the group, even though they never shared the fact that they weren't just doing "fan service." It was something more, something more realistic than fan service could ever be. Because behind everything, when they were alone, holding hands wasn't the only thing they would do.

When Hyoyeon heard the news, she was completely devastated. But she didn't complain. She cut herself off from the rest of the group. She didn't get angry at Tiffany when she started to ask Hyoyeon questions about Jessica.

"Hey Hyo, you were roommates with Jessica for a while, right?"

"Yeah, I was." Hyoyeon did her best not to lash out at the girl, after all she wanted Jessica to be happy. She wouldn't want to be the one to get in the way.

"What does she like? I mean, I want to be romantic," Hyoyeon stopped putting the dishes away. She didn't dare look Tiffany in the eyes, because if she did, she was afraid Tiffany would sense some type of regret or remorse about the way she looked at her. So instead, she just looked down at the sink. "I don't want to be corny, but--"

"She likes roses," Hyoyeon cut Tiffany off mid-sentence, wanting to get the conversation over with. All this information was useless to her, so she might as well let Tiffany know. "Roses, and beaches. She prefers restaurants with views of the ocean, because she'll want to walk there with you later. She likes it when you hold her hand when you go everywhere, because she feels protected. And, she'll like it if you know what she wants, before she tells you. She likes strawberry ice cream the best, but don't get her anything else strawberry because the smell sickens her."

"Thanks! But how do you know all this about her?"

Hyoyeon smiled, though she wasn't happy. It was a smile she used to cover up her real feelings. She tried so hard to please Jessica, but it seemed she found love in someone else.

"Because I love-- loved being her roommate. I wanted to know everything about her, so I asked."

"Oh..."

"Oh yeah, and her perfect kiss? On the beach, right before the sunset. And hold her tightly, take in every moment. Because you never know when she'll be gone."  Tiffany gave her a grateful smile, but Hyoyeon didn't look up to see it.

"Thank you."

"And Tiffany?" Hyoyeon spoke up as Tiffany walked away, finally looking her in the eyes. "Don't hurt her. Because if the person she's truly in love with hurts her, she'll be broken. And it's hard to put her back together."

Tiffany gently smiled and walked away, heading to Jessica's room.

And yet again, Hyoyeon didn't complain. But instead, she cried.