1One

We're Friends, right?

1One

I held my breath for a second and shut my eyes tightly. Clenching my fist to calm my composure, waiting for ‘it’ to be over soon.

The crowd oh-ed and ah-ed , some applaud and some whistled. I couldn’t get myself to look away as I reverted my attention back to the stage. I was in the backstage, wearing my witch’s costume, my scene was coming up but not before the kissing scene.

My heart broke into a million pieces as I witness Jinyoung leaning forward and gave Hyemin a passionate kiss. It lasted for over 3 seconds. It was 3 seconds to long, I thought. I fought with myself in the inside.

Worst of all, Jinyoung was grinning his fox grin to another person who was not me. I felt the inside of me boiled, why oh why was I in love with my best friend in the first place? I clutched my heart tightly, tears threatening to spill.

“Calm down Sage. Just one hour more…” I mumbled to myself before putting on my best poker face and emerged on the stage.

~

The curtains closed before us, but not before the auditorium was filled to applause. The play was a success, if Madam Rouge could say so herself. She was even thinking of putting another in 4 months after the exams next week. I smiled at her enthusiasm, it makes me wonder if this lady was actually 57 years old. She was such a kid.

The members congratulated each other on a job well done, and I did so to. I scanned the backstage to find my missing best friend, where was he? I had already changed into my casual wear after the performance and most of the drama members had already left. Only Sandeul, Minah, Sungjong and I were left.

“Sungjong, have you seen Jinyoung anywhere?” I asked, picking up my bag and slung it on my left shoulder.

He just shrugged. Wrapping his skinny arms around Minah, his girlfriend, the pair left. Only Sandeul and I were left. For some reason I always get awkward when it’s just him and me. He always gives off this emo vibe that makes people get intimidated by him, I for that matter. Even though I had known him since elementary school, his cold demeanor always makes me back away. But right now, I needed Jinyoung he was my ride home.

Sighing I neared my distance between him, he was sitting on a wooden stool that once held some theater books but are now on the ground. I had to admit, over the years he had definitely changed. He didn’t wear nerdy glasses anymore, I never knew his eyes were this big. He was once shorter than me but now he stood over 3 quarters of head above me. Yes, I am just that short. Though he’s thin, some muscles do peaked out from his body fitting shirt. One thing’s for sure, he definitely has more meat in him than Jinyoung. The dude can still wear his shirt back from elementary school!

“Junghwan-shi…” I called him by his real name, like I always had. It was after junior high that he opted to the name, Sandeul. I was still not used to his nickname, yet.

“It’s Sandeul now, Shinji.” He pointed out nonchalantly. His eyes stared boringly into mine, but since I had met him for over 10 years now I wasn’t all that fazed by his stare.

“Well it’s Sage now.” I countered. I was fidgeted with my straps, I was definitely nervous about talking to him.

“Touché.” He smirked. I silently heaved a sigh of relief, looks like he wasn’t gonna burst today.

“Have you seen Jinyoung?”

He shrugged before standing up from the stool, dusting his to get rid of the invisible dust. “I saw him leave with Hyemin 20 minutes ago.”

“Oh…” My heart dropped instantly. Had he forgotten he was supposed to take me out on a congratulatory dinner and then drive me home so that we could stay up all night watching movies?

Sandeul remained quiet as he picked up his things. He was heading to the door when he suddenly turned around. “You need a ride?”

“How…”

“I’ve known you since I was 8, Shinji. I know Jinyoung takes you home every day.” So he had been watching me, it was kind of a shock since I always thought he hated me.

I gave him a smile in which he returned. I widened my eyes in awe, this was the first he smiled at me. “You have a nice smile.” I said bluntly. It was after a few moments before realizing what I just did.

He chuckled at my comment, “Yeah, I get that a lot. That’s why I hate it.”

“Mianhae…”

“It’s fine. Just because I don’t smile a lot, doesn’t mean I don’t smile at all.” He has a point.

We stood there in awkward silence, “So about the ride?”

“Let’s go…” we exited the auditorium, but not before locking the door and shutting all the lights out.