Reality Part 1

The Dreams I Gave Up

Baekhyun stifled a groan as his back creaked while he bowed. His chest heaved up and down as he remained in the 90 degree position, sweat rolling down his temples.

He had dreamed about standing on stage, having millions of people clap and cry out for him the emotions he poured of his voice. He had dreamed about being one with everyone through his music.

As he stood up, he felt a bulky arm wrap around his shoulders. It took him every inch of his will power to not cringe, to not stiffen.

He had also dreamed about being honest in his work.

Millions of shrieks and screams of “Baekyeol!” soon rang in his ears. He forced a smile on his face and turned to the tall, almost disgustingly handsome boy standing next to him, who beamed back.

And soon, they were all hustled off the stage. “Van in five minutes!” Their manager cried out as everyone stripped off their stage uniforms and back to their normal, comfortable clothing.

“Oh, and Baekhyun, you’re sitting next to Chanyeol on the ride back.”

Baekhyun nodded in reply to the order, his lips in a tight line. Didn’t anyone understand how uncomfortable it is? It was like sticking Harry Potter and Malfoy together-bad, bloody crazy, and NONSENSE.

Besides, how could anyone nap when your neighbor’s long legs took up almost all the room as they snored like they were about to take their last breath?

Sleeping with the thoughts of dying is NEVER a good idea. Or relaxing.

“Are you okay?” a soft voice asked in his right ear.

He felt a soft hand on his shoulder and turned, this time with a genuine smile. “I’m fine, hyung.”

Lay nodded, then walk away, murmuring about lost clothing.

Baekhyun shook his head and went back to changing and gathering up his stuff.

“Baekhyun, are you ready?” Suho asked as Baekhyun tied his shoes.

“Yup!” Baekhyun bounced up from his seat and swung his bag over his shoulder.

Suho nodded, and adjusted Baekhyun’s hat. “Find Chanyeol on the way okay?”

“Yup,” Baekhyun said again, this time with less enthusiasm.

Suho patted him on the shoulder with a sympathetic smile.

Baekhyun smiled back and made his way to the door out of the dressing room.

“EXO!!” Fangirls immediately screamed as the managers opened the doors. Baekhyun ducked, even though he knew they couldn’t see him under his hat. He stepped through the path the security guards made for him and the rest of EXO. Now and then, he saw the girls struggling to reach them through the guards. He squinted past the flashes of the countless cameras.

And there was Chanyeol, waiting for him at the door of the car.

Baekhyun took a deep breath. He reminded himself that they were all in this together. That it wasn’t just him that was suffering. That he could take the time to be sympathetic, compassionate, and not be in a bad mood.

“Hyung!” Chanyeol’s voice pierced through all the other sounds around him. His face beamed with too much eagerness.

 Okay, not be in less of a bad mood.

He noticed out of the corner of his eye, that Kris seemed to be in deep conversation with their manager.

Right after, Kris moved and whispered something into Chanyeol’s ear. The boy looked less eager and perhaps…relieved?

Before he could contemplate even more, Baekhyun found himself being hurried and ducked into the closest van.

As he turned, he saw that Suho had followed him. He bowed his head. “I’m sorry, Suho. I know we have an image…but today I just can’t take it.”

He waited for the lecture that he had to be less selfish, but instead he found himself patted on the back.

“We are all human, Baekhyun. And it wasn’t just you who needed a break.”

“But the fans…”

“The fans won’t know. Now, go to sleep. You won’t have the chance to be in a better mood if you don’t let yourself rest.”

And so Baekhyun let himself relax. And let himself dream again.